PDA

View Full Version : Doggie dilemma

Spotondl
08-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Ok, so... a friend of mine has a dog (Fuzzy) that tends to run away on a pretty regular basis...
Tonight Fuzzy bolts out of the house while my friend is gone to some BBQ party this afternoon/evening...
A good samaritan :) finds Fuzzy, obviously knows where Fuzzy lives, and brings Fuzzy home...
Problem is that the good samaritan:) ties Fuzzy to a balcony with a short leash.... Fuzzy jumps over the balcony railing and hangs herself...
My friend comes home tonight to a dead Fuzzy, hanging by a short leash.... She calls me, understandably frantic and crying....
Question...
When said "good samaritan :) " comes to the door to retrieve the short leash do you say "Thank you" and leave it at that or do you tell the "good samaritan :)" that the dog hung itself on the short leash and is now dead because of this persons short sightedness...?
Opinions please...
Rich

73kona455
08-02-2004, 12:05 AM
tell them what happened.. may save someone elses dog in the long run

Rexone
08-02-2004, 12:59 AM
Only a moron would tie a dog on a balcony with a short leash.
:mad:

73kona455
08-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
very true.. they need to be educated.. so tell them

v-drive
08-02-2004, 03:57 AM
Ditto

JetBoatRich
08-02-2004, 05:16 AM
sas story, people should learn from it:(
Common sense should have told this person what might happen:rolleyes:

ahhell
08-02-2004, 05:19 AM
Or do you bring fuzzy home on a shovel with tire marks???
mistake in judgement, but trying to help....

MagicMtnDan
08-02-2004, 05:47 AM
You asked for opinions so here goes...
The Good Samaritan did nothing wrong and was trying to help (hence the term "GS"). What should the GS have done, leave the dog out? Why should the GS have known to tie the dog up with a long leash? How long should the leash have been?
Don't "punish" the GS for doing the right thing - the dog shouldn't have been running loose. What's the point you'd be trying to "teach" the GS - not get involved. Ever hear of the expression "no good deed goes unpunished?" The dog's owner has a greater need to learn from this than the GS.
Sorry to hear of Fuzzy's demise. :(

hava life
08-02-2004, 06:23 AM
sounds tome like fuzzy did this on a regular basis. Why didn't the owner do something to prevent fuzzy from running? sounds like this was going to happen to fuzzy sometime. It is the owners responsability to take care of the dog and not let it run all over the place. why should a g.s. have to feel bad for bringing the dog home? It was not his responsability to catch the dog and try to help. To bad for the dog and owner, next time train the dog and you should not have the same problem.

NorCal Gameshow
08-02-2004, 06:35 AM
how did they get fuzzy up on the balcony,did they have a key?

welk2party
08-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Sad for Fuzzy, but the Samaritan did nothing wrong.

KingCole
08-02-2004, 06:54 AM
I think Fuzzy was trying to run away but when he realized he was caught, and put back on that damn balcony, he did the only honorable thing and took his own life.:D

BrendellaJet
08-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Bullshit!
A properly trained dog wont run away. Nor will it jump the balcony when tied to it. If your friend is not willing to take the time to train a dog, please tell her not to buy another one.

riverbound
08-02-2004, 08:39 AM
I would thank the person for returning the dog, tell them what happened but make sure to let them knoe it was not their fault that the dog was stupid. My dogs get out every once in awhile and go no further than my fron yard. I have trained them that way since they were puppies. I have had my neighbors tell me that my dogs were out but as soon as they saw soemone walking over they ran back in the backyard. People need to train their dogs.

RiverDave
08-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Spotondl
Ok, so... a friend of mine has a dog (Fuzzy) that tends to run away on a pretty regular basis...
Tonight Fuzzy bolts out of the house while my friend is gone to some BBQ party this afternoon/evening...
A good samaritan :) finds Fuzzy, obviously knows where Fuzzy lives, and brings Fuzzy home...
Problem is that the good samaritan:) ties Fuzzy to a balcony with a short leash.... Fuzzy jumps over the balcony railing and hangs herself...
My friend comes home tonight to a dead Fuzzy, hanging by a short leash.... She calls me, understandably frantic and crying....
Question...
When said "good samaritan :) " comes to the door to retrieve the short leash do you say "Thank you" and leave it at that or do you tell the "good samaritan :)" that the dog hung itself on the short leash and is now dead because of this persons short sightedness...?
Opinions please...
Rich
So are you the good samaritan in this deal? Or are you "your friend?"
Sorry to hear about "fuzzy."
I'm a big time dog person so it's kinda hard to say one way or the other..
Definately cool of the guy to bring the dog back, especially now days when people only seem to care about themselves. Sux that the dog hung itself though. :(
It seems that nowdays people are so quick to assess blame, and then judge that person. To be honest, while the whole thing sux, it kind of falls under the category of "shit happens." I don't know that anyone person is @ fault for fuzzy's demise, but if I had to pick I think ultimately the dog owner would be the one at fault. The other guy was just trying to help the dog owner out of a situation that he created through his own negligence.
I gotta be honest though, that dog couldn't have been to "bright" if it jumped off a balcony? If fuzzy is a little dog (which is what I'm envisioning) and balconies are usually 2nd story? (which is making me wonder how this guy got to it as well?) Would the dog have survived if it jumped off on it's own without the leash?
At the end of the day, sorry to hear about Fuzzy. :(
RD

Ducatista
08-02-2004, 08:53 AM
Although the "GS" made a mistake on how & where he tied up Fuzzy, the fault here is with the dog owner, plain & simple. There is no excuse for the dog getting out in the first place. The fact the dog had escaped before makes me think the owner is negligent.
R.I.P. Fuzzy:(

Spotondl
08-02-2004, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the thoughts...
I am just a friend of the lady who owned Fuzzy...
I used the term balcony perhaps incorrectly. The railing that the dog jumped over is on the front porch of the house....
The owner is accepting responsibility for what happened...
Some of my thoughts were echoed here in that I am afraid that a well intentioned person is a rarity these days and I personally have second thoughts about doing or saying anything that could discourage that type of behaviour in the future...
It was very unfortunate but it was bound to happen one way or another..
Thanks again for the opinions... I will relay them to the owner...

hava life
08-02-2004, 10:01 AM
just don't let her sue the gs. Don't even tell him. Next time he might not help.

Spotondl
08-02-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by hava life
just don't let her sue the gs. Don't even tell him. Next time he might not help.
Sad that in todays litigious society that the option to sue even exists. Not to worry though, the owner is 1st gen Japanese and wouldn't even consider suing even if the GS turned out to be the Grim Reaper.... Simply not in her cultural mindset...

Rexone
08-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BrendellaJet
Bullshit!
A properly trained dog wont run away. Nor will it jump the balcony when tied to it. If your friend is not willing to take the time to train a dog, please tell her not to buy another one.
Although the owner was to blame for not training the dog I'll stand by my statement. Which is now a moot point anyway because it wasn't actually a balcony.
Sorry about Fuzzy.