PDA

View Full Version : Toy Haulers

KingCole
08-02-2004, 07:49 AM
I'm looking at buying a new trailer and I think the toy hauler style is the way we'll go. I like the Gear-Box and the Weekend Warrior and would like to hear opinions from anyone that owns either. Thanks!

casean
08-02-2004, 08:29 AM
We just bought a 26FB Weekend Warrior last May and have been completely satisfied with it. I actually know a couple other people that have WWs and they love them. We had a Carson trailer before the WW for 3 years. Only problem I ever had with it was the converter went out. Other wise it was really good to us. Of course it did not have the refinement that you will find in allot of the other manufactures, like WW.
A member of our family is a service manager at an RV store and he told me to stay away from the Gearbox trailers. I guess they are constantly coming in for warranty and repair work. Other than that I have not heard anything else about them.
Good luck with your trailer search.

PHOTOGLOU
08-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Try Jaison Nappi at Ultra Haulers in Corona 909 258 7157. He was with Santek and then opened up Ultra Haulers about 4 yrs ago. Tell him Jay Photoglou sent you, He'll treat you right

bear down
08-02-2004, 08:39 AM
We purchased a 21' Attitude Toyhauler and we love it. It came with a lot of standard features that were usually upgrades in other toyhaulers (interior/ext speakers as an example) We use it at Crazyhorse and we've had no issues to date. Pretty much all toyhauler manufactures are all great and built the same. It's all about floorplans and which one you like. Just don't purchase from Mike Thompsons RV. Good Luck

riverbound
08-02-2004, 08:41 AM
We have an Alpha toy house, we have had it for almost five years and the only major problem was the water heater went bad. Other than that we have had very good luck with it. The quality of build is also very nice.

Havasu Cig
08-02-2004, 09:26 AM
We have an 04 3000 FB Weekend Warrior. We have had a few problems (shower leaking, Bad AC/Heat thermostat), but overall it has been a good trailer and Weekend Warrior has taken care of us..

sigepmock
08-02-2004, 09:54 AM
We have a 26FT Weekend Warrior and are very happy with it, no problems. We looked at a lot of trailers before buying and the Weekend Warriors we the best built in our opinion and had the highest resale value. One test that really impressed me was to hang your body weight on the wall cabinets, I could do chin-up on the Weekend Warriors cabinets but didn't even want to try on some others, just a little test of how well built they are.
Good Luck,
Chris

casean
08-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by sigepmock
We have a 26FT Weekend Warrior and are very happy with it, no problems. We looked at a lot of trailers before buying and the Weekend Warriors we the best built in our opinion and had the highest resale value. One test that really impressed me was to hang your body weight on the wall cabinets, I could do chin-up on the Weekend Warriors cabinets but didn't even want to try on some others, just a little test of how well built they are.
Good Luck,
Chris
Chris I completely agree with you. I was blown away when the sales guy told me to hang off the cabinet on the wall. Also you can't beat the central air.
The only problems we have had with our WW was the clock stopped working and one of the pull down mini shades wouldn't roll up.

Rubths
08-02-2004, 10:25 AM
There are alot of nice haulers being built right now it just depends on the bells and whistles you need that will determine your manufacturer. For us we went with WW becuase of the extras we wanted that the other MF could not or would not do becuase they were more assembly line trailers. Most come with the option of a pump station with a generator but we wanted an 18gl for the gen and a 36gl for the pump station, also the WW pump station is on the camp side and the other trailers put it on the road side :confused: We also wanted lots of windows and WW was the only option for that. I needed two 15k ac units both ducted on seperate thermostats and WW was the only company that would customize a trailer like this. I have had a few very minor issues that WW has taken care of very quickly. If you are looking for a WW my friend Shawn sold me mine and gives fellow duners one hell of a deal. Check him out at www.glamiswarrior.com
This is our rig, it now has a dome satallite dish on the roof :D
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/data/500/674warrior1.jpg

KingCole
08-02-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by casean
Chris I completely agree with you. I was blown away when the sales guy told me to hang off the cabinet on the wall. Also you can't beat the central air.
The only problems we have had with our WW was the clock stopped working and one of the pull down mini shades wouldn't roll up.
Since I'am a cabinet maker that was one of the fisrt thing I noticed about the WW. The cabinets look rock soild and are screwed into the trailer, not stapled in, like most other trailers.

Dawn Patrol
08-02-2004, 12:30 PM
I've had my Weekend Warrior for over 2 years. It has not been to the shop once, it has been a Great trailer so far.
Good Luck on your choice, there are many to choose from these days.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5989Pismo_Beach_7-4-03.jpg

Rubths
08-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Have you gone to look at any haulers yet? Just curious if you have seen anything new we dont know about. Heres a pic of our WW
http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/674TrailerAug04.JPG

KingCole
08-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Rubths, Very cool looking trailer. We went to Travel Land and saw a 30' WW we like. Front bedroom, bay windows and a slide-out in the living area. The slide is only 2' deep, but seems to open it up some. Where did you buy yours?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-05-2004, 07:01 AM
If you can buy a 5th wheel. The island bed makes a huge difference. It is e-z to tow in wind and a 1 man job connecting. No sway at all.

KingCole
08-05-2004, 07:05 AM
If you can buy a 5th wheel. The island bed makes a huge difference. It is e-z to tow in wind and a 1 man job connecting. No sway at all.
I would love to buy a 5th wheel but would have to chop off the back half of my Denali to tow it.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
08-05-2004, 07:07 AM
I would love to buy a 5th wheel but would have to chop off the back half of my Denali to tow it.
oops! :jawdrop:

Rubths
08-05-2004, 07:14 AM
Rubths, Very cool looking trailer. We went to Travel Land and saw a 30' WW we like. Front bedroom, bay windows and a slide-out in the living area. The slide is only 2' deep, but seems to open it up some. Where did you buy yours?
Got mine from a Shawn Zang. He is a friend of mine and works for Giant RV in Temecula/Muriata. I have not seen any WW pull trailers with a slide yet but im sure there out there. Ours is an 04 FS3000 front bedroom, ours was a custom built couch and is not like any you will see at travel land or any other RV dealer. The bay window option only comes with two windows we added a third, 2 15k AC units both ducted on seperate thermostats for dual zones, a cealing fan, 36 gallan pump station and a 18 gallon tank for the genset. After we took delivery we added a 1300w inverter system to keep the hours off the gen, a bumping system and the auto tracking Satillite dome.
If anyone is interested in a WW contact Shawn at www.Glamiswarrior.com he will give you an unbeatable deal.

victorfb
08-05-2004, 07:17 AM
id say look into buying a tow vehicle first. not to talk smack about your denali, but thats not really a tow vehicle. the wieght and braking of the denali is very limited and if your thinking a 30' toy hauler id say its too damn big. yea, you may be able to pull it up that hill, but stoping it in an emergency will leave you on your lid. not to mention that rear end will last about a day. again, i dont mean to knock you on the denali, but i see way too many people that arent wise to trailering, get sold a trailer that is way too big for thier tow vehicle. and that is a very dangerous misunderstanding. do you plan on having your family in the denali when you tow the rig?

KingCole
08-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Got mine from a Shawn Zang. He is a friend of mine and works for Giant RV in Temecula/Muriata. I have not seen any WW pull trailers with a slide yet but im sure there out there. Ours is an 04 FS3000 front bedroom, ours was a custom built couch and is not like any you will see at travel land or any other RV dealer. The bay window option only comes with two windows we added a third, 2 15k AC units both ducted on seperate thermostats for dual zones, a cealing fan, 36 gallan pump station and a 18 gallon tank for the genset. After we took delivery we added a 1300w inverter system to keep the hours off the gen, a bumping system and the auto tracking Satillite dome.
If anyone is interested in a WW contact Shawn at www.Glamiswarrior.com he will give you an unbeatable deal.
Killer set up! How does the inverter system work?

Rubths
08-05-2004, 07:29 AM
Killer set up! How does the inverter system work?
Works very nice, the wife can run the tv/dvd player all day long before we start the gen for an hour at night to charge back up. Right now im only running 2 T-105 6-V batteries but am switching to a 4 battery setup this desert season so I can run all weekend long without running the gen.
As for your tow vehicle, there is one person in our group with a 30ft WW that tows it with his Escalade :confused: I would not recommend it becuase your denali is not rated to tow this much weight, the toung wieght on my trailer is 1700lbs.

KingCole
08-05-2004, 08:04 AM
id say look into buying a tow vehicle first. not to talk smack about your denali, but thats not really a tow vehicle. the wieght and braking of the denali is very limited and if your thinking a 30' toy hauler id say its too damn big. yea, you may be able to pull it up that hill, but stoping it in an emergency will leave you on your lid. not to mention that rear end will last about a day. again, i dont mean to knock you on the denali, but i see way too many people that arent wise to trailering, get sold a trailer that is way too big for thier tow vehicle. and that is a very dangerous misunderstanding. do you plan on having your family in the denali when you tow the rig?
Thanks for heads up. Are you in the trailer business? Just wondering where you have seen all these people get trailers that are too big for their tow rig.

casean
08-05-2004, 08:38 AM
Works very nice, the wife can run the tv/dvd player all day long before we start the gen for an hour at night to charge back up. Right now im only running 2 T-105 6-V batteries but am switching to a 4 battery setup this desert season so I can run all weekend long without running the gen.
As for your tow vehicle, there is one person in our group with a 30ft WW that tows it with his Escalade :confused: I would not recommend it becuase your denali is not rated to tow this much weight, the toung wieght on my trailer is 1700lbs.
Rubths that's a sweet setup you have there. The wife and I both wanted the front sleeper, but we couldn't fit the 30 footer on the side of the house. Plus our truck would've hated me for towing that type of weight. Would have done the 26FS, but it didn't have enough storage space so we ended up getting the 26FB.
KC,
I also agree with the others. You should definitely consider getting vehicle better suited for towing if you are considering going with that size of trailer. Or look at trailers that fit into the acceptable tow weight range for your Denali.

JET-O-VATOR
08-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Try Jaison Nappi at Ultra Haulers in Corona 909 258 7157. He was with Santek and then opened up Ultra Haulers about 4 yrs ago. Tell him Jay Photoglou sent you, He'll treat you right
ISNT JAISON THE SON OF THE OWNER OF SANTEK TRAILERS???

victorfb
08-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Thanks for heads up. Are you in the trailer business? Just wondering where you have seen all these people get trailers that are too big for their tow rig.
no, i am not in the buisness. and my remarks are in no way aimed at putting down your denali. i live in fallbrook which is close to temecula were i have to drive and on that hill (or should i say halfway down on the south side) i have seen many trailers laying on thier sides and tore up with new dealer paper plates, with an explorer, or denali, or any of the other smaller suv's towing them. the vehicle is useually the most damaged. they buy a new trailer, get no training on towing it, go up the hill and test how well (fast) they can climb the hill, then come to the bend on the other side at a greater rate of speed with the wind (thats almost allways there) making the trailer sway, so they tap the brakes and before they know it they are out of control and up side down. a couple years ago when i was looking for my 38' fifth wheel toy hauler and was at many many RV places and saw guys looking at 32' 36' trailers and driving a new 1500 chevy or an F150. luckely most of the time the salesperson will ask what your going to tow it with, but that doesnt allways work as they guy will say "i put the heavier springs and a chip on the truck so its no problem". then the deal is made. go talk to the service guys at any RV place. they will tell what they have seen. and its not just the Rv places. some boats are WAY to heavy for thier tow vehicle, but the sales people will sell it to them anyhow. (of course). now im not sure if your comment was a shot at me or not, and i am in no way questioning your intelegance. i only posted to bring the attention to some that didnt know. its an easy thing to overlook. most think of needing the power to pull a trailer, and over look the need to have the braking power to stop and the stability (wieght and wheelbase) of the tow vehicle to stabalize the trailer. just wish id stop seeing those crashed rigs on the side of the road.
oh and by the way. last season i saw a brand new 26' or so boat in the middle of the 15 freeway right at the railroad canyon exit near canyon lake. the trailer was still connected to the crunched DENALI but hanging from the railing of the overpass. there are no bends on that stretch, but it does get a bit windy at times. by looking at it id say a couple more feet or a few miles per hour faster and they both would have made it over the railing.

KingCole
08-05-2004, 01:00 PM
no, i am not in the buisness. and my remarks are in no way aimed at putting down your denali. i live in fallbrook which is close to temecula were i have to drive and on that hill (or should i say halfway down on the south side) i have seen many trailers laying on thier sides and tore up with new dealer paper plates, with an explorer, or denali, or any of the other smaller suv's towing them. the vehicle is useually the most damaged. they buy a new trailer, get no training on towing it, go up the hill and test how well (fast) they can climb the hill, then come to the bend on the other side at a greater rate of speed with the wind (thats almost allways there) making the trailer sway, so they tap the brakes and before they know it they are out of control and up side down. a couple years ago when i was looking for my 38' fifth wheel toy hauler and was at many many RV places and saw guys looking at 32' 36' trailers and driving a new 1500 chevy or an F150. luckely most of the time the salesperson will ask what your going to tow it with, but that doesnt allways work as they guy will say "i put the heavier springs and a chip on the truck so its no problem". then the deal is made. go talk to the service guys at any RV place. they will tell what they have seen. and its not just the Rv places. some boats are WAY to heavy for thier tow vehicle, but the sales people will sell it to them anyhow. (of course). now im not sure if your comment was a shot at me or not, and i am in no way questioning your intelegance. i only posted to bring the attention to some that didnt know. its an easy thing to overlook. most think of needing the power to pull a trailer, and over look the need to have the braking power to stop and the stability (wieght and wheelbase) of the tow vehicle to stabalize the trailer. just wish id stop seeing those crashed rigs on the side of the road.
oh and by the way. last season i saw a brand new 26' or so boat in the middle of the 15 freeway right at the railroad canyon exit near canyon lake. the trailer was still connected to the crunched DENALI but hanging from the railing of the overpass. there are no bends on that stretch, but it does get a bit windy at times. by looking at it id say a couple more feet or a few miles per hour faster and they both would have made it over the railing.
Vic, I'm not takin' any shots at you, or offence to your comments. Just askin' a few questions. I consider myself very experienced at towing trailers, but you're right, maybe my Denail isn't rated to tow that heavy of a trailer.

Havasu Luvr
08-05-2004, 01:33 PM
alittle FYI....
I have a 03 GMC Dually (extended cab) and bought a 38' Thor Toy Hauler earlier this year. No problems towing or braking under NORMAL conditions but I had to stop in a hurry just a few months ago southbound 95 in Havasu and let me tell you, even with elect brake system and properly adjusted it was a Biatch ! ! stopping that thing. I was VERY supprise at the distance I needed to stop and it was empty (no quads, water or fuel). So, in closing, these guys are correct with their information on tow Rigs, just because the "Salesman" sells you a trailer does no make it right.......Do your homework and enjoy your new purchase
BTW, I have a 01 Prowler G31 model for sale. extra clean and very low usage.
but NOT for a Denali.. :wink:

victorfb
08-05-2004, 04:01 PM
alittle FYI....
I have a 03 GMC Dually (extended cab) and bought a 38' Thor Toy Hauler earlier this year. No problems towing or braking under NORMAL conditions but I had to stop in a hurry just a few months ago southbound 95 in Havasu and let me tell you, even with elect brake system and properly adjusted it was a Biatch ! ! stopping that thing. I was VERY supprise at the distance I needed to stop and it was empty (no quads, water or fuel). So, in closing, these guys are correct with their information on tow Rigs, just because the "Salesman" sells you a trailer does no make it right.......Do your homework and enjoy your new purchase
BTW, I have a 01 Prowler G31 model for sale. extra clean and very low usage.
but NOT for a Denali.. :wink:
that is exactly why i bought a 2004 F550 4x4 to tow my 38' toy hauler. and im damn glad i did because the same thing happened to me my first trip out with the new truck (old truck was a 91 GMC 4x4 duelly) and needed to stop quik as a mini truck pulled right in front of me from the stopped truck scale lane going over the whitewater grade. the old truck would have never stopped it all in time and hate to know what would have happened. the brakes on the F550 was my main reason for the purchase.
oh and no worries KingCole. its an open forum and everyone has a right to thier opinion and say what they will (to an extent). sorry if i raised any feathers, but believe me ive had many of discussion on this matter. basically because they see me with the F550 and tell me i over bought. oh well, i still love it. and if i make someone mad by posting this particular information, so be it. maybe just maybe someone else reads it and learns and i might have prevented a terrible accident. glad your one of those guys that actually accepts others opinion and even more glad that you will think and use good judgement on your trailer purchase. i understand buying a new tow vehicle may not be in the budget, so if your going to use the denali, just take your time, be EXTRA careful, and have fun. no need to try and push it. youll get there and back in one piece, and thats the best.

PHOTOGLOU
08-30-2004, 09:50 PM
ISNT JAISON THE SON OF THE OWNER OF SANTEK TRAILERS???
yes he is and talk to Jaison and he'll have nothing bad to say about Victor(his dad)