PDA

View Full Version : safe boating classes

nodigg
08-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Not that people here on the boards would need to but I'm just curious how many of you have taken safe boating or education classes related to boating of any kind?

nodigg
08-03-2004, 08:47 AM
hmmmmmm:confused:

Debbolas
08-03-2004, 09:06 AM
I have not taken a boating class, but I would like to:D

Rich Hammond
08-03-2004, 09:13 AM
My wife and I took them from the La Paz Sherriff a couple of months back. Got 10% off on our boat and PWC insurance
policies. She did much better than I did, she got 100% on the
test and I missed two questions. I have been boating all my life
and it was worth it learned a few things.

nodigg
08-03-2004, 09:15 AM
its a line not a rope, and fenders not bouys!;) That much I learned!:D

91nordic29
08-03-2004, 09:19 AM
well, this is rather discouraging:eek:

nodigg
08-03-2004, 09:21 AM
in what way? not many peeps have taken classes or lack of response?
BUSH! YES!

gnarley
08-03-2004, 09:29 AM
I took one three years ago, and found it helpful. Then by passing the course we got our 10% off INS also. I would suggest it to anyone operating a watercraft. Being ignorant of the laws does not absolve you from the responsibility of knowing them. Knowing them may make you a better safer boater.
I had always thought that only cars and trucks had fenders :confused:

nodigg
08-03-2004, 09:34 AM
I had always thought that only cars and trucks had fenders :confused: [/B][/QUOTE]
Same concept I guess...first thing to rub on a boat or a car??
Bouys are in the water, fenders on on the side of the boat. I mean Gunwhales:rolleyes:

nodigg
08-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
I just call them pillows....lol bouys...never!
I call em ropes...
Proper English speakin' mofo :)
I know! But I have learned what you mean and can deal with it!:cool: Pillows! wtf?

nodigg
08-03-2004, 09:39 AM
you can call them whatever you want....DAD!

nodigg
08-03-2004, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Feeling a little cocky today are we? Once you see what I have done with my bike it will bring you back down :)
UH OH! SPILL!
Once you see what I have done with my bike you will say WTF were you thinking?

summerlove
08-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by nodigg
its a line not a rope, and fenders not bouys!;) That much I learned!:D
The difference bewteen a line and a rope is that a rope does not have a job. As soon as it is put to work, it becomes a line!
Fenders connect to your boat or a dock. Buoys are ground to the bottom and provide direction/instruction.

nodigg
08-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
The difference bewteen a line and a rope is that a rope does not have a job. As soon as it is put to work, it becomes a line!
Fenders connect to your boat or a dock. Buoys are ground to the bottom and provide direction/instruction.
NICELY SAID!

FastTimmy
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
I only took it to get the insurance discount to... I felt smarter than the instructor.. I did learn what a couple of the bouies that I always pointed to and asked what they ment, realy meant!!
Timmy

roostwear
08-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by summerlove
Unless the "rope" is attached to an anchor, then it's called a ????
(good for 1 point, or 1% off your insurance....tell them I said it's OK)

OGShocker
08-03-2004, 10:22 AM
DOH!

OGShocker
08-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
Red right return/ Red left leaving. Best information I got from my class.;)

nodigg
08-03-2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by roostwear
Unless the "rope" is attached to an anchor, then it's called a ????
(good for 1 point, or 1% off your insurance....tell them I said it's OK)
Brake line?:D

Boat Loan Guy
08-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Are there any on line course you can take? If so does anyone know what the wep site may be?

LHC30Victory
08-03-2004, 11:49 AM
we took the USPS class but didn't learn anything we didn't know from years of boating and being a boy scout merit badge counselor for sailing, powerboating and waterskiing. I would like to take a boat handling course from an expert just to find out what I don't know or have been doing wrong.
Any experts out there?

Dr. Eagle
08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I have taken it twice... the second time because i lost the certificate from when I took it in 1988. That insurance discount is pretty nice...

eliminatedsprinter
08-03-2004, 12:00 PM
My dad took several coast gaurd courses and taught me the rules etc when I was quite young. However, because I had been out of powerboating for a while (I did alot of windsurfing and kayacking etc for a while) I went ahead and took the Dept of waterways little book course as a review. Also when I learned to windsurf I took lessons that covered basic boating rules etc as well.

RiverOtter
08-03-2004, 12:07 PM
My dad taught me everything boating. But there are so many new people attracted to this sport later in life, I think classes or licenses will become a requirement. Especially if people keep getting killed at what seems to be an increasing rate.

nodigg
08-03-2004, 12:33 PM
The insurance discount is a great incentive. I do think some sort of mandatory learning would be a good thing though.

nodigg
08-03-2004, 05:17 PM
bump for the evening crowd
:)

nodigg
08-03-2004, 05:21 PM
what happened to the fringe thread??:confused:

nodigg
08-03-2004, 05:27 PM
WTF? it was just getin good!
Its "FRINGE" BEAAACH!:yuk:

nodigg
08-03-2004, 05:39 PM
Stop hijacking the thread Tom! :cry:

XtrmWakeborder
08-03-2004, 06:03 PM
So guys what did you learn from these courses, that say the average boater wouldnt know? The things that make you a safer boater are the things that im talkin about.

nodigg
08-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Okay. One thing would be something that may seem common sense but is not in the real world. When approaching another vessel head on, each should steer right to avoid a collision course.
(Not the correct wording). Stay to the right whenever feasable.

Big_Gunz_
08-03-2004, 07:19 PM
Yup, I've taken a class and try to take one every year. It never hurts to refresh what few brain cells I have left.

Boatcop
08-03-2004, 07:20 PM
How about boat lighting and what they stand for?
We all know we need red and green bow lights and an all around white light, right?
But what do they mean?
If you see the red light and the white light of another boat, they are the "Stand-on" vessel and you must give way to them. (Red means stop)
If you see the green light and the white light of another boat, they are the give way vessel, and you can maintain your course and speed. (green means go)
If you see the red and green lights and white light of another vessel, you are on a collision course, and both of you must give way, by turning to the right.
If you see any red or green light of another vessel, but no white light, then they are a sailboat and YOU must give way to them.
If all you see is a white light, then they are either anchored, you are coming up on them from behind, or it is a manually propelled vessel (row boat, canoe, kayak, etc) and YOU must give way to them.
This is assuming that the other vessel is displaying proper lights, which many are not.
And remember that most boaters out there (on our River and Lakes, at least) don't have a clue about the above, so don't expect them to do the proper thing.
EVERY boater is required to take all precautions to avoid a collision, and should never insist on the Right-Of-Way.

nodigg
08-03-2004, 07:27 PM
Nice post! Is there a law regarding speed at night on AZ waterways other than reasonable and prudent that is?

Dr. Eagle
08-03-2004, 07:27 PM
And a blue flashing light means stop... yer busted....;)

mike37
08-03-2004, 07:36 PM
OK boatcop how dose rights of tonnage work on lakes or is that only in the ocean

Boatcop
08-03-2004, 07:54 PM
OK boatcop how dose rights of tonnage work on lakes or is that only in the ocean
Tonnage doesn't apply. The only time any power vessel has the right of way over another power vessel at all times is when it's constrained by it's draft in a narrow channel.
The only situation out here where that would apply would be the Dixie Queen in the London Bridge Channel.
Other common sense things would be vessels broken down, and not able to maneuver, with fishing lines or trawling nets out, minesweeping, dredging, barge(s) in tow, etc. Those are mainly determined by length, not by tonnage.
But there's specific lighting configurations for all of those situations. Too many to expect anyone to learn in an 8 hour class. It took me months on the bridge and countless hous of studying to gain the knowledge and experience to know all of that stuff and pass the Federal Navigation Rules Exam and Deck Watch Officer test.

Under the Bridge
08-03-2004, 08:30 PM
No, we haven't taken a class but both my wife and I plan on taking a class in Havasu.

Under the Bridge
08-03-2004, 08:40 PM
My family and I are new to Havasu but have been around the water and boats all of our lives. We have noticed that when we are approaching a boat head on we seem to always have to make the move to the right. It is a little disturbing at 50 or 60 MPH. I don't if it is a lack of understanding on the other boater's part or if they are just not paying attention.

Under the Bridge
08-03-2004, 08:46 PM
nodig, I can tell you as a newbie to Havasu some kind of course just aboout Windsor would be helpful.

DeltaSigBoater
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
I was required to take an 8 hour a day class for 2 weeks when i was getting my Coast Guard License. Lot of stuff about lighting, navagation, knots, plotting, radio, fire fighting, safety etc. etc. All good to know, but a more than anyone on the boards would ever need know for the lake/river.