PDA

View Full Version : 6 Volt batteries

BLOWN HOWARD
08-03-2004, 03:25 PM
How many of you out there are using 6 Volt batteries to run there stereo systems. The amp hr on a 6 volt will blow away the amp hr on the 12volts. Wonder who has run this set up

1stepcloser
08-03-2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by BLOWN HOWARD
The amp hr on a 6 volt will blow away the amp hr on the 12volts.
Whoo hoo! lets have some fun!:D

ROZ
08-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Let's see.... We need to Pm, Froggy, HH, rrrr, Tom Brown, Lightning, RD, Loco, riverbound, Magic34, P Detail, MBrown2, Evo22, N Audio, and ADAM GARCIA...
1Step and I are already here, so bring it on boyz!!! :D
EDIT: Oops, forgot PartyCat and 6v'sFloating :D

BLOWN HOWARD
08-03-2004, 04:16 PM
Mbrown is running the honda generator right with the 12volts? Roz what are your likes or dislikes about the 6volt batts.

BoatFloating
08-03-2004, 05:07 PM
Roz, I can't believe you forgot me in the 6v deal. I had 4 in my Carrera party Effect and loved them. my new boat I'm only running one Blue Optima and the Honda 2000 genny and it's all good.
Wait to HH reads this Oh Boy! he's gonna blow a spark plug about resitence and golf carts... blah, blah blah:o

Havasu Hangin'
08-03-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Roz, I can't believe you forgot me in the 6v deal. I had 4 in my Carrera party Effect and loved them. my new boat I'm only running one Blue Optima and the Honda 2000 genny and it's all good.
Wait to HH reads this Oh Boy! he's gonna blow a spark plug about resitence and golf carts... blah, blah blah:o
Now, now Goatblowing...I have upped my medication. No worries.
I would express my opinion, but "I'm a pretty serious condescending schmuck, and I am nothing more than a journeyman wire jockey."
I was also told that I am just "an internet expert" that doesn't really know anything, so please consult "real experts."

BLOWN HOWARD
08-03-2004, 08:15 PM
You guys making fun of me or what here? I take it you guys are using the junky trojan batteries also huh!!!!!!! Those are a waste of time even in golf carts!!!!!

mbrown2
08-03-2004, 08:34 PM
Not sure if this is just BH's attempt at a troll thread or not :)....but I run 12V with a generator in the cat and up until I blow up a Xantrex charger, it runs without fail as far as time goes...at least until the gas goes out on the Honda....now am switching to Cascade/Iota 90amp (Thnx BF)...with the Honda...I also only run two batt/1200 Odyssey's in the boat..
I have never tried them, but from everyone that is running 6 volts they seem to really like them...I personnally like Sealed 12V Odyssey's..just my preference
My new system in the Malibu will run 3 batteries, 2 1700 Odyssey's or Stingers, and 1 1200 Odyssey or Stinger for Starting...only doing 1600 watts, but 800 of that will be going to the two assembly's on the tower that just recently came out and will absolutely blow any other top dog car speaker in a tower can away and they are going to absolutely make sure my neighbors hate me:D :cool:

Evo22
08-03-2004, 08:54 PM
hey where ya gonna get your oddesy's from ??? i bet i could get yea a deal??? i have used them in the last 3-4 boats we have done and they have been working out great so far ...I'm workin on trick billet boxes for the 1700 and the 1200

BLOWN HOWARD
08-03-2004, 09:02 PM
Whats up Mike, No trolling here, just curious about the 6 volt deal cause i have access to some sealed gel 6 volt batteries that absolutely kick ass, just wondering how people like them in the boats for stereo stuff, and also how many are they running 2 or 3 or more. and does anybody make boxes for them yet. I can bet that your neighbors are really gonna be pissed with the new system in the malibu!!!!!!!! I am gonna have to check this one out. DId you recieve your new truck yet either!!!!!

mbrown2
08-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Evo22
hey where ya gonna get your oddesy's from ??? i bet i could get yea a deal??? i have used them in the last 3-4 boats we have done and they have been working out great so far ...I'm workin on trick billet boxes for the 1700 and the 1200
Send me a PM on the details...I am always up for a deal...I currently get them from West Coast batteries...or Odysseybatteries.com
So I am pretty sure I am paying retail or pretty close for them...they also have Billet Hold Downs but are pretty basic, so if you have something better, I am interested? Also, can you engrave a Malibu logo in the hold down? I need two 1700's and a 1200..and Billet Boxes if you have them...

mbrown2
08-03-2004, 09:09 PM
Whats up Mike, No trolling here, just curious about the 6 volt deal cause i have access to some sealed gel 6 volt batteries that absolutely kick ass
I was just messing with you:D :D :D ...I always love these topics...
Yeah, got the truck...luv it....just pulled the boat to DCB and took 95 to Yuma and did the 8 route over the grade out of El Centro....passed pretty much everything going up the grade while towing the 26...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/17Photo_3-Reduced-med.JPG

BLOWN HOWARD
08-03-2004, 09:12 PM
AH dam the truck is looking good. what size lift and tires on that bad boy. And yeah i know what you mean when you can pass anything up all the hills love the truck. Who did your door handles. Truck is looking bad ass!!!!!!!!!!! When your ready for the edge products chip let me know i get a pretty good deal on them.

ROZ
08-03-2004, 09:13 PM
Classy looking truck there Mr. Brown :)

Evo22
08-04-2004, 06:27 AM
i think that you are gonna need some billet grills for it too:D

mbrown2
08-04-2004, 06:31 AM
AH dam the truck is looking good. what size lift and tires on that bad boy. And yeah i know what you mean when you can pass anything up all the hills love the truck. Who did your door handles. Truck is looking bad ass!!!!!!!!!!! When your ready for the edge products chip let me know i get a pretty good deal on them.
Thanks...Sport Trucks by Dean in Moopark did the whole thing....6inch CST, 35x20"...
Thanks Roz...
Now back to 12volt talk..:D

BoatFloating
08-04-2004, 07:35 AM
You guys making fun of me or what here? I take it you guys are using the junky trojan batteries also huh!!!!!!! Those are a waste of time even in golf carts!!!!!
Not at all. Like I said before I had 4 6v Trojans in my old boat and loved the play time I got out of it. The only draw back for me was the charging overnight. There is no way a altenator is charging 4 6v's so I didn't even hook it up to Alt.
I know Froggy has 6v battery boxes for the Trojans.

ROZ
08-04-2004, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Roz, I can't believe you forgot me in the 6v deal. I had 4 in my Carrera party Effect and loved them.
Sorry, I edited ya in with PartyCat :D

Magic34
08-05-2004, 07:40 AM
HH, don't beat me up.
I put 6-6V Trojans in my boat. My system draws between 155-160 amps at full volume (about 7000 watts with JBL amps). Since the install in March, the longest I have played it at full volume is about 4.5 hours. No issues with loss of power at all. If and when they fail, I'll let everyone know. So far I am happy with them. Only one drawback so far is that they are heavy as hell. I also installed a 30amp/3 bank onboard charger and it is always hooked up when in the garage.
When I made the decision to try these out, I went to the Industrial battery warehouse and talked to the GM for about 1.5 hours about batteries. He also suggested the 6V batteries wired to 12V over anything else he had there, and that included Odyssey. I was told that there was nothing in that warehouse (about 14,000 sq.ft) that would work better for my application.
As of now I am a believer, but we'll see how next year goes as well. I don't know all the technical stuff, but for $350 total, I figured it was worth a shot. I can always replace with something else if they piss me off.
Now be gentle...... ;) :D

BoatFloating
08-05-2004, 09:55 AM
HH, don't beat me up.
I put 6-6V Trojans in my boat. My system draws between 155-160 amps at full volume (about 7000 watts with JBL amps). Since the install in March, the longest I have played it at full volume is about 4.5 hours. No issues with loss of power at all. If and when they fail, I'll let everyone know. So far I am happy with them. Only one drawback so far is that they are heavy as hell. I also installed a 30amp/3 bank onboard charger and it is always hooked up when in the garage.
When I made the decision to try these out, I went to the Industrial battery warehouse and talked to the GM for about 1.5 hours about batteries. He also suggested the 6V batteries wired to 12V over anything else he had there, and that included Odyssey. I was told that there was nothing in that warehouse (about 14,000 sq.ft) that would work better for my application.
As of now I am a believer, but we'll see how next year goes as well. I don't know all the technical stuff, but for $350 total, I figured it was worth a shot. I can always replace with something else if they piss me off.
Now be gentle...... ;) :D
Don't worry Ol HH bark is worst than his bite. He has nothing to back up is therory and a bunch mumbo jumbo diagram crap. We actually have hands on testing and they work great....
:smilespi:

TOBTEK
08-06-2004, 07:12 AM
I was just messing with you:D :D :D ...I always love these topics...
Yeah, got the truck...luv it....just pulled the boat to DCB and took 95 to Yuma and did the 8 route over the grade out of El Centro....passed pretty much everything going up the grade while towing the 26...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/17Photo_3-Reduced-med.JPG
your trucks lookin good Mr Brown! I'm thinking I may need those door handles as well.

Tom Brown
08-06-2004, 07:26 AM
I personally think the golf cart batteries are a better match for the service duty required by a big stereo. If internal resistance is a concern, a decent quality capacitor should have less internal resistance and a higher discharge rate than any battery. I'd be surprised if a cap made much difference at all with decent amps, it would be just fine without them.
Having said that, I like living with nice clean gelled lead acid batteries. No spills, the terminals never get fuzzy, and they have an extremely high power density (nice and small for their output but heavy). One thing about the gelled batteries is that they don't deal with over voltage very well. If you go this route, make sure you have a good quality charger that keeps the voltage below 13.75v.
So, my opinion is... there is more than one way to skin a cat. The right battery setup will depend on what you're looking for.
PS - Nice truck, MBrown. :cool:

Tom Brown
08-06-2004, 07:29 AM
The amp hr on a 6 volt will blow away the amp hr on the 12volts.
Keep in mind, this number will not double when you run two batteries in series. The amp hour rating on the 12v batteries will double when you run two of them in parallel. Also, when you run in series, it will only be as good as the weakest battery.
But yeah, it's a lot of power for the price and those golf cart batteries are designed to be frequently deep cycled so it's a good service match for a big stereo.
Hey, why no flames yet? Has everyone got me blocked? :confused:

mbrown2
08-06-2004, 08:26 AM
No block, but I got you circled... :idea: :D
Toby, thnx appreciate the truck feedback..

77charger
08-07-2004, 02:36 PM
someday HH will see the light :D

BoatFloating
08-09-2004, 09:31 AM
Keep in mind, this number will not double when you run two batteries in series. The amp hour rating on the 12v batteries will double when you run two of them in parallel. Also, when you run in series, it will only be as good as the weakest battery.
But yeah, it's a lot of power for the price and those golf cart batteries are designed to be frequently deep cycled so it's a good service match for a big stereo.
What did Tom Brown say.
I can just talk from experiance that my 6V's worked alot better than my 2 Optima's....

BLOWN HOWARD
08-09-2004, 11:53 AM
Yeah i agree with you the 6volt will definetly kick the crap out of any 12volt, i have some at work that are gell sealed, and that you cant buy in the US. Going to put some in the boat this winter.

mbrown2
08-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Yeah i agree with you the 6volt will definetly kick the crap out of any 12volt, i have some at work that are gell sealed, and that you cant buy in the US. Going to put some in the boat this winter.
What is this? Gel Sealed 6v's? Do tell...

BLOWN HOWARD
08-10-2004, 09:52 AM
Thats right mike 6volt gel, made in germany Called sonenshine's Awsome battery's thinking of putting two of them in the howard for the stereo!!!!

mbrown2
08-10-2004, 10:08 AM
Thats right mike 6volt gel, made in germany Called sonenshine's Awsome battery's thinking of putting two of them in the howard for the stereo!!!!
Not sure if this is right specs, and maybe this is something different, but looks like these MK's are AGM Sealed and they have a 6V with 200 amp hours rating...only a little less specs then the Trojans, but they are AGM sealed..
MK Batteries (http://www.batterystuff.com/battery/batteries1.htm)