PDA

View Full Version : Melissa Sajtar R.I.P.

Mrs. Psycho Squid
08-05-2004, 11:38 AM
I received the following e-mail this morning. Melissa is the girl that died at Martinez last weekend. She was a friend of a friend. I'm not sure if you guys read the article that was posted in hot spots west, but her Dad showed such a positive attitude. I could only hope to be like him if God forbid I am ever placed in a similar situation. I will try to find the article and post it here as well. Anyway, here's the e-mail:
Last weekend, Melissa Sajtar, a 17 year old East County girl, was involved in a fatal accident at the river, where she was spending the weekend with her Mom and girlfriends. She was a passenger on a personal watercraft that was hit by a boat driven by a teenage boy. Melissa remained alive for a short time after the accident, but later died from internal injuries.
Melissa did not have health or life insurance to cover her medical or funeral arrangements and costs thus far exceed $50,000. Donations are being accepted for anyone who feels they would like to help the Sajtar family. An account has been set up in Melissa SajtarÂ’s name with Washington Mutual Bank. Should you wish to donate, you may take a deposit to any Washington Mutual Bank branch or mail your deposit as follows:
Melissa Kay Sajtar Fund
PO Box 40
Lakeside, CA 92040
**Be sure to reference account #324-692805-2
Please keep MelissaÂ’s family in your thoughts and prayers. It will be their friends, family, and people of the community, like you, who will help them survive this tragedy.

Debbolas
08-05-2004, 11:39 AM
That is so sad, my prayers and thoughts are with her family. Maybe this should be a sticky at the top? :(

Mrs. Psycho Squid
08-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Here is what was posted in Hot spots West:
The father of a 17-year-old California girl who died of injuries suffered in a boating accident on the Colorado River on Saturday wanted to thank those who worked to save her.
Melissa Sajtar, of Lakeside, Calif., sustained fatal injuries when the personal watercraft she was riding collided with a boat near Zoo Island on the Colorado River.
Melissa's father, Dan Sajtar, profusely commended the rescue personnel, hospital staff and those at the scene.
"I'm very impressed with the people of Yuma," he said.
Melissa and her mother, Carra Sajtar, were at the river as part of a group of mothers and daughters who were having a "girls' weekend out."
According to Dan Sajtar, around 2 p.m., Melissa was a passenger on the watercraft that was being driven by Cindy Erickson, 43, of Escondido, Calif.
Sajtar said the craft was riding beside a boat where the channel narrowed. Another boat came from the other direction, necessitating evasive action.
Sajtar said both the personal watercraft and the oncoming boat swerved toward each other and collided.
"Both drivers thought the same thing," Sajtar said.
Melissa sustained internal injuries and a compound fracture of her leg. She was transported by helicopter to Yuma Regional Medical Center.
Sajtar said Melissa was coherent and speaking on the flight to the hospital, but her internal bleeding would not stop.
She was kept on life support until she died at 11:55 p.m.
Erickson was severely injured as well, losing her left leg below the knee. She was taken by ambulance to YRMC.
Sgt. Mark McNay of the Imperial County Sheriff's Office said his department was still investigating the accident. He said numerous witnesses were being interviewed.
"It will take some time. There's a lot of pieces to the puzzle," he said.
He did not know what speeds the watercraft were traveling.
Sajtar said his daughter's positivity found its way to everyone around her.
"She was very infectious," Sajtar said. "Anybody she came in contact with loved her."
Melissa was going to be a senior at El Capitan High School in Lakeside. She was an A-student, captain of the cheer squad and president of her class, Sajtar said.
Sajtar wanted to thank the Imperial County boat patrol, the emergency medical technicians and the chaplain staff and doctors at YRMC.
"They were fast getting them out of there," he said.
McNay said deputies from ICSO were on the water at the time of the accident, and that they responded immediately when they received the call.
"We have no ill feelings toward anyone," Sajtar said. "It was just an unfortunate acci- dent."
Sajtar said the driver of the boat, whose name he did not know, repeatedly called the hospital Saturday night to try to get updates on the condition of the women.
A hospital spokeswoman said Erickson was in stable condition Monday.
Sajtar said many people involved with the accident were wracked with guilt, but there is no reason for blame.
"I believe everybody did as much as they possibly could," he said.
A fund has been set up in Melissa's name with an out-of-area bank. Funeral services will be 10 a.m. Saturday in Lakeside.

rvrtoy
08-05-2004, 12:08 PM
WOW...What a great attitude! I'm not sure if I would have such a positive outlook on things if any of my children were tragically killed. Thank you Sir for being an inspiration and not throwing blame around.
***boat...Will you PLEASE make this thread a sticky. I will be donating to this fund this friday. I hope many other board members will do the same!!

BarryMac
08-05-2004, 12:20 PM
Mrs. Petrofied, I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted your thread in HSW. I was the original poster of this story earlier in the week, I was in Martinez when this happened and learned of the accident while loading my boat onto the trailer, my Wife and I were very bummed out because we wish we were able to do something to help.
My thoughts and prayers are with the Sajtar Family...
gjb

Mrs. Psycho Squid
08-05-2004, 01:22 PM
Mrs. Petrofied, I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted your thread in HSW. I was the original poster of this story earlier in the week, I was in Martinez when this happened and learned of the accident while loading my boat onto the trailer, my Wife and I were very bummed out because we wish we were able to do something to help.
My thoughts and prayers are with the Sajtar Family...
gjb
I don't mind at all. Anything and everything that we as a boating community can do to get the word out that one of our own is in the need of a little help will be appreciated I'm sure.

Mandelon
08-05-2004, 01:25 PM
:frown: :frown: :frown:

cheezpanel
08-05-2004, 01:33 PM
This is just incredibly devastating. Melissa's mom is also a friend of a friend...I can't imagine what her family is going through right now. As the father of a 14 yr. old, it is my worst nightmare. She's grown up basically at the river, and she still gets pissed at me because I won't let her ride a PWC; I think she's ridden on one once a long time ago. I know people get hurt in boats also, but the potential is a lot greater on a PWC and it just freaks me out. We'll be donating to Melissa's fund. Our thoughts and prayers are with her family.

rvrtoy
08-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Thank you ***boat. Once again you have stepped up to show yourself as a class act!
*I am donating $100.00 to try and help this family in need. I would like to issue a challenge to all forum members to donate AT LEAST $1.00.* :smilespi:

CJ
08-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Sucks having kids and hearing about things like this. My heart is in pain over this. What a great Dad! I only hope I can have that strength if the worst case happens. For now, I will enjoy my 5 and 2 year olds and teach them respect and safety on the river.
I hope when they grow up they will be the kids respecting all of you on the water.

1978 Rogers
08-06-2004, 07:07 AM
It's very sad when instances like this happen. It always brings it into perspective for me and how lucky & fortunate I've been. Being a father of a 19 month old, it breaks my heart think about what the parents and everyone involved are going through.

socalmoney
08-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Wow to thank them for trying their best instead of blaming them for not trying hard enough. You don't see that much these days.

rvrtoy
08-07-2004, 09:07 AM
On my way home last night I stopped by Washington Mutual Bank and deposited $100.00. I hope it helps. The teller told me that she had accepted a few deposits into that account yesterday and that she was compelled to make a deposit as well.
Has anyone else from the boards here made a donation?
*Over 1100 views and only 12 responses :cry: Come on people STEP IT UP!!*

GrapeApe
08-07-2004, 11:58 AM
I am sending a check out in the Mail.. Again, my Thoughts and Prayers are with the Families Involved..
*** Grape Ape ***

RVR Family
08-07-2004, 12:24 PM
I am going in on Monday and donating $100.00 and challenge as rvrtoy has, other river people to donate if even $1.00.
The service today was very emotional had a very large turnout.

Hotcrusader76
08-10-2004, 02:06 AM
Another local lost...that's very saddening...
I will be making a donation as well, specially since she's a local to us (Santee, Ca)
~Ty