PDA

View Full Version : Here comes our water! - Lets hope its a doozie !

carbonmarine
08-06-2004, 08:59 AM
El Nino Predicted to Return to Pacific in 3 Months
Aug 6, 9:08 AM (ET)
By Rene Pastor
NEW YORK (Reuters) - El Nino, the weather phenomenon which has killed hundreds and wreaked havoc in the Asia-Pacific region over the years, will develop anew in late 2004, the Climate Prediction Center of the U.S. National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration said.
In a monthly report issued late Thursday, the Center said sea surface temperatures have risen sharply in the central Pacific Ocean which may signal the start of the weather anomaly.
"El Nino conditions are expected to develop during the next three months," the Center said on its web site
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysismonitoring/ensoad v isory/index.html
El Nino is a weather phenomenon which leads to an abnormal warming of waters in the equatorial Pacific Ocean. It usually occurs once every three years.
The anomaly was first noticed by Latin American anchovy fishermen in the 19th century and was named in honor of the Christ child because it would take place around the year-end Christmas holiday season.
Severe El Ninos, as happened in 1997/98, would cause searing drought in Australia, the Philippines and Indonesia while spawning rampant flooding in Chile, Ecuador and Bolivia.
The warming of Pacific Ocean waters can cause floods and drought as far as South Africa and trigger severe winter storms in California.
El Nino killed hundreds of people in 1997/98 and caused billions of dollars in damages.

summerlove
08-06-2004, 09:03 AM
I'll vote for that one! :D Let's cross our fingers. As anyone who's been to either Powell or Mead can attest, the water is low. NPS suggests it will take 15 years of normal rainfall to reach full pool again! It took only 4 years to get to 120' below that level.
They also say that if rain and snowpack doiesn't increase and end the drought, then Powell will be at "Dead Pool" by 2007/8! :jawdrop:
I hope the forecasters are right! What does the farmers alamanac say?

charlyox
08-06-2004, 09:03 AM
SWEET! We need it

Essex502
08-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Rain in California won't mean $hit. Snow in the Rockies and Sierras does. Let's hope the El Niño that may be coming causes snow to be dumped up there.

Excessive Force
08-06-2004, 09:13 AM
This will definitely be a stupid question but where does the water from the river come from? Everytime I ask know one knows so I cant be the only stupid ass. Altho I do get answers like, from the Rockies, glaciers...if thats true sure seems hard to believe.

Huckleberry
08-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Bring It On Baby!!!

rivercrazy
08-06-2004, 09:17 AM
This will definitely be a stupid question but where does the water from the river come from? Everytime I ask know one knows so I cant be the only stupid ass. Altho I do get answers like, from the Rockies, glaciers...if thats true sure seems hard to believe.
Most of the water coming down the colorado river is derived from snow melt in the central and southern rockies and some from the mountains of Utah.
Lets keep our fingers crossed. Most El Nino's produce much more snow fall in the rockies than normal years. I can remember some bottomless powder skiing on a few Colorado trips during past El Nino's....

LaveyJet
08-06-2004, 09:23 AM
I'll go for the winter storms in the Rockies, but let's keep the big rain off SoCal's burned watersheds.

Filmwritin
08-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Now we just hafta push El Nino from the Pacific into the Rockies.... Powell and Meade are mud holes.

Ducatista
08-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Rain in California won't mean $hit. Snow in the Rockies and Sierras does. Let's hope the El Niño that may be coming causes snow to be dumped up there.
Exactly.......bring it on. If I remember correctly, it will do exactly that with the snow levels.

Red Eye
08-06-2004, 09:51 AM
SWEET NEWS for NACI!!! I'm going to make sure I have the plug in the boat at home just in case it gets to nuts.

mirvin
08-06-2004, 09:52 AM
I don't know who this "el nino" character is, but how the hell did he get in here without a passport!!!!
mirvin :wink:

summerlove
08-06-2004, 09:53 AM
Now we just hafta push El Nino from the Pacific into the Rockies.... Powell and Meade are mud holes.
Her's a picture of that Powell mud hole. It was taken two weeks ago.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/951HPIM1999-med.JPG
But in this pic, you can see how low the lake is at the Dam...it's still over 450' deep at that point!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/951HPIM2175.JPG

riverbound
08-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Where is the water usually at?

Ziggy
08-06-2004, 10:03 AM
I'll go for the winter storms in the Rockies, but let's keep the big rain off SoCal's burned watersheds.
I agree with this statement but we could use just enough to fill our reservoirs too. I've had enough trouble with massive rainfalls around my home/biz :eek!:

Essex502
08-06-2004, 10:08 AM
I think the last major El Niño was the 1997/1998 timeframe and the colorado snow fall in Boulder was 130" average for those two years compared to the previous 7 year average of 92".

Dr. Eagle
08-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Some of our wettest winters have come when El Nino was at full bloom. For your sakes here, I hope the wet winters carry over to the rocky mountains... the Sierras having a big winter won't help any there.

summerlove
08-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Where is the water usually at?
about 5' below the top of the dam... here's a good shot of the "bath tub" ring around the lake. BTW, this was taken main channel near Gregory Butte and Last Chance on Tuesday, July 13th
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/951HPIM2001-med.JPG

RacerX
08-06-2004, 11:25 AM
As a hardcore snowboarder (the family type, NOT the dope smokin', Clinton votin' type)....El Nino has always meant HUGE snowfalls for the Northern California mountains of Mammoth and Tahoe. The other big winners were Southern Colorado (Durango & Telluride) as well as the northern New Mexico resorts.
The Pacific Northwest and Montana resorts were the big losers.
Colorado and Utah stayed about average **IF** I remember correctly.

Essex502
08-06-2004, 11:31 AM
Colorado and Utah stayed about average **IF** I remember correctly.
Average doesn't help the Colorado River and it's reservoirs such as Mead, Mohave, Havasu.....

RacerX
08-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Average doesn't help the Colorado River and it's reservoirs such as Mead, Mohave, Havasu.....
No...probably not. I was just specifically commenting on snowfall levels.
There's nothing I want more than Powell to be at full-pool. We used to go every other year and were set to go last year until I started seeing all the boat damage at my local Malibu shop....several of the boats had just come back from Powell. I have a friend who's Dad has owned an interest in a houseboat at Whawheap since the 80's and he's said this year was the worst he's ever seen. I think he said he just hung out at the Marina this year... :confused:
I'm a Mammoth season pass holder so if El Nino comes back like before, I'll be a hapy camper!! :D

JakeAisA
08-06-2004, 01:07 PM
What does El Nino mean for fishing up here? I know it sucks for people in South America where it's centered because the water with all that extra nitrates or something from the bottom gets kicked up and kills fish...or something along those lines. But does that mean the fishing will be better up north, off our coast of CA? Because maybe the fish flee to the north?
Any fishermen around here?

rivercrazy
08-06-2004, 01:09 PM
It typically means GREAT fishing! The warm water species travel with the warm pool of water moving north bringing Yellowfin Tuna, Dorado, Yellowtail, Skipjack, and others with it.....Its hard on the local bait though (anchovies and sardines)

bordsmnj
08-06-2004, 02:07 PM
we'll this is the first year in a while i let go of the mammoth pass. i used to be a total powder ***** untill i bought a boat. who know's maybe i'll get back in shape this winter at june mt. :p i think 97-98 el nino was the best time of my life-as a big bear board bum. i hope this pans out we need the water! i fore see actrualy doing a powder trip with peeps from the boards if it's goood all the time this winter. we've talked about it in the past but never got around to it :frown:

eliminatedsprinter
08-06-2004, 02:29 PM
The dipshi#$ on TV news and the Chicken Little global warming crowd made a big deal about the last E'l Nino perhaps being the largest since the phenomina has been known. What they left out was that it was the first one ever to be accuratly measured. :rolleyes: