PDA

View Full Version : Any LongShoreman Here!!!

MAINEVENT
08-06-2004, 12:13 PM
I have heard that their are Apps. going out is this going to be like before where pretty much only certain people get them???? or is it open?? I used to work with a guy who left working where i work and now works there but i cant get a hold of him.... If anyone has details can you share with me??? :cool: This may be my ticket out of here :idea: :D
TIA
MAINEVENT

Kilrtoy
08-06-2004, 02:13 PM
I was told by a long shore man,
That all part timers should be getting full time in addition to 2000 other jobs....
He told me this yesterday.
Damn That made me think of Issac's. Now I'm hungry

MAINEVENT
08-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Thank just got off the phone with my buddy and filled me in
Thanks Kilrtoy :D

lucky
08-06-2004, 02:41 PM
thats wen your boat breaks down after the gordge ??
or are you refering to "seamen "

Kilrtoy
08-06-2004, 02:42 PM
thats wen your boat breaks down after the gordge ??
or are you refering to "seamen "
Thank god that has not happened yet and I hope it never does....

djunkie
08-07-2004, 04:23 PM
check the L.A Times on wednesday there will be info. on the hiring

Kilrtoy
08-07-2004, 07:59 PM
The ILWU IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Over Paid, it is not even funny

victorfb
08-07-2004, 11:16 PM
The ILWU IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Over Paid, it is not even funny
go lash down a ship full of containers at 3:00AM when the entire place is wet and rethink that comment.

djunkie
08-07-2004, 11:55 PM
If you think we are overpaid than you obviously do not know anything about our job. This is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. If you new about how many people are injured on the job annually than you would understand why we make what we make. This job is great opportunity to make some great money if you are willing to work and take a chance at an injury or death. I know many people who have been hurt and even died on the job. Until you learn what this job is about please don't jump to the conclusion that we are overpaid.

djunkie
08-08-2004, 12:10 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1768longshore_pictures_002-med.jpg
If standing under one of these cranes while 80,000 lbs. are hanging in the air by a couple of cables isn't dangerous enough to get paid a decent salary, than why would anyone do it at all?

Floored
08-08-2004, 05:22 AM
I was going there everyday to pickup containers and their attitude is why I won't go in the harbors anymore. I'd rather do Donner pass in snow and ice then deal with them, thank you very much :yuk:

ahhell
08-08-2004, 05:44 AM
If you think we are overpaid than you obviously do not know anything about our job. This is one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. If you new about how many people are injured on the job annually than you would understand why we make what we make. This job is great opportunity to make some great money if you are willing to work and take a chance at an injury or death. I know many people who have been hurt and even died on the job. Until you learn what this job is about please don't jump to the conclusion that we are overpaid.
Maybe cops need a raise.........or maybe you guys should start wearing "shipping container proof vests"....????? IMHO

HighRoller
08-08-2004, 05:45 AM
go lash down a ship full of containers at 3:00AM when the entire place is wet and rethink that comment.
Boohoo....a lot of people work in crappy conditions at night. What makes you so special?

djunkie
08-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Maybe cops need a raise.........or maybe you guys should start wearing "shipping container proof vests"....????? IMHO
You are right. I agree that cops are underpaid. Maybe if they banded together thet way our union does they would get what they deserve also.

riverbound
08-08-2004, 10:00 AM
I know plenty of longshoremen and they are the first ones to say that they are overpaid. And I have worked the docks at night in the rain. Doesnt hold a candle to what some of my cop buddies go through.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Let me see, my buddy gets paid 35 an hour to sit at the house or what ever its called and watch people place there time cards in the box,
YEP, OVER PAID.
Granted there are some tuff things to do there, but please. 30 bucks an hour to drive a container from point A to point B, a whole 1/4 of a mile
30 bucks an hour to start to scan containers and then claim you can only find 2 containers cuz the dock workers BANDED TOGETHER to do a work slow down, because they claim they are underpaid.
Yeah OVER PAIDED.
It sure is funny how alot not all, workers have new shit at x-mas time. I mean how containers are lost at sea.....
Dont get me started and its dangerous because of the drugs and alcohol that are being used while at work.....

victorfb
08-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Boohoo....a lot of people work in crappy conditions at night. What makes you so special?
obviously you did not comprehend the comment. while yes many people do indeed work in "crappy" conditions, they are useually safer than that of a longshoreman. try standing ontop of that 5th container and just look down. now i dont mean just down to the bottom container, im talking all the way down to the docks or even the water. YOUR FRIGGIN UP THERE. now with a very slippery steel container and trying to handle the heavy steel bars that tie down the containers, the next container moving over your head so you have to keep one eye on that and all the other dangers of the job DO constitute a raise in salary. remember those containers are used over and over and are shipped across sea, salty water and air. you just never know when the bottom of one of those things is going to drop out and here comes 30,000 pounds of merchandice. i can go on and on about the dangers of the job and im sure someone like you will have some stupid remark as to some other jobs being more dangerous. im not in a pissing contest here. just to let some know that there are reasons that some may not understand or realize, why longshoreman get paid what they do. i didnt say to retract his comment, just re-think it. he has every right to say what he wants. i was just trying to enlighten him on the reasons why the salary is what it is.
as for your comment or question of what makes me so special?
were in my post did i say i am special? were in my post did i say i worked in these conditions? were in my post did i say that nobody else works in conditions like that or even worse? hell, i can think of many underpaid carrers. nurses in my opinion are one of the most underpaid and unrecognized heros there are. but thats a whole other issue. what makes me so special? not a damn thing, i dont consider myself special. but atleast i am not on here ridiculing others, nor do i compare, judge, or belittle others. if that person that thinks longshoreman are over paid thats his right, but does he really know the aspects of the job? or does he see it from an outsiders point of view? education! as long as we are educated of the facts then and only then can we make an honest observation. obviously you need a little educating on certian issues.

victorfb
08-08-2004, 10:24 AM
I know plenty of longshoremen and they are the first ones to say that they are overpaid. And I have worked the docks at night in the rain. Doesnt hold a candle to what some of my cop buddies go through.
cant agree with you more. you couldnt pay me enough to be a cop. way to scary for me.

victorfb
08-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Let me see, my buddy gets paid 35 an hour to sit at the house or what ever its called and watch people place there time cards in the box,
YEP, OVER PAID.
Granted there are some tuff things to do there, but please. 30 bucks an hour to drive a container from point A to point B, a whole 1/4 of a mile
30 bucks an hour to start to scan containers and then claim you can only find 2 containers cuz the dock workers BANDED TOGETHER to do a work slow down, because they claim they are underpaid.
Yeah OVER PAIDED.
It sure is funny how alot not all, workers have new shit at x-mas time. I mean how containers are lost at sea.....
Dont get me started and its dangerous because of the drugs and alcohol that are being used while at work.....
those docks are like working on a freeway. you think counting those containers would be a piece of cake? maybe the reason they cant find some is that they are too busy consentrating on the trucks and UTR's that are flying around. hell, they had a guy get hit and killed by a lunch truck that rounded a corner. the poor guy was looking at the container numbers and never saw the lunch wagon hit him. now im not saying that the guy sitting on the hose is being paid fairly, but its a union job. he cannot be paid less. but im betting he put his time in allready. nobody gets those jobs without ALOT of seniority.
oh and your right about the drugs and alcohol. waaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy too much of that going on. but if willie nelson can smoke a joint in the white house, i guess stopping drugs on the docks might be a difficult task aswell.

riverbound
08-08-2004, 11:32 AM
i was just trying to enlighten him on the reasons why the salary is what it is.
The reason these guys are so overpaid is because of one thing only, the union.

Jrocket
08-08-2004, 12:14 PM
The reason these guys are so overpaid is because of one thing only, the union.
Easy now.....

Jrocket
08-08-2004, 12:15 PM
If they are so over paid and under worked,then how come everyone in here isnt trying to get a job there? Or are you?

riverbound
08-08-2004, 12:28 PM
If they are so over paid and under worked,then how come everyone in here isnt trying to get a job there? Or are you?
I did do it for a while, it wasn't for me. Like I said I have many friends that do this for a living and they are the first ones to brag about the money they are paid for what they do.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Whats a 100K at the docks

djunkie
08-08-2004, 12:46 PM
Whats a 100K at the docks
Its called a lot of overtime. Working on the dayside mon.- fri. 40 hours a week doesn't pay anywhere close to a 100k a year. Unless you are a foreman, crane driver or a clerk. The reason we make good money is because the port is open and working 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Most guys who make that kind of money wil work 7-10 shifts in one week, all year long. which means working 2 shifts in one day at least 2 or 3 times a week. I'm sure if there were other jobs with this much chance to work overtime we wouldn't be having this conversation cause everyone would be doing it.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Wrong answer
its a first year worker who doesnt work much
last time I checked a crane guy started at 150K a year....

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 12:52 PM
If it's so dangerous to work on these ships and around the container yards (and it is I worked on the Matson yard improvements years ago, saw more shizzle happen there... wow!) why do so many of the ILWU guys drink and do drugs at work? They had a RORO come in and called the hall for a bunch of guys to drive the cars on and off the ship. The parking lot was full of expensive liquor bottles at the end of the day... guess that's what 100K will get you... ;) No seriously... is there still a problem with this kind of stuff?

djunkie
08-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Wrong answer
its a first year worker who doesnt work much
last time I checked a crane guy started at 150K a year....
So what your saying is that if you have been at a job for while, and you have seniority, you shouldn't make better money. Tell that to those white collar execs. who have some fresh out of school kids busting his butt, doing his work, that he shouldn't get paid anymore then the new kids.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
That is not what I said AT ALL
I said Crane guys make 150K.
Where did you read that I said that a person with many years of service should not make more......
Eagle
the Drug and Alcohol issue at the docks will never go away.....
To think that these guys who work around such heavy objects that, yes, will kill you, allow their fellow workers to get high or be high on the job, THAT MAKES NO SENSE....

djunkie
08-08-2004, 01:00 PM
If it's so dangerous to work on these ships and around the container yards (and it is I worked on the Matson yard improvements years ago, saw more shizzle happen there... wow!) why do so many of the ILWU guys drink and do drugs at work? They had a RORO come in and called the hall for a bunch of guys to drive the cars on and off the ship. The parking lot was full of expensive liquor bottles at the end of the day... guess that's what 100K will get you... ;) No seriously... is there still a problem with this kind of stuff?
I completely agree with you on this. There are a lot of bad seeds down there. But there are a lot of us who are not like this also. Not every longshoreman is a drug addict or alcoholic. A lot of those guys do drink in the parking lots AFTER WORK. But lately they have cracked down on this and it is a rare occurence. As for the guys that show up to work under the influence they are usually fired from that job or they are made to call a replacement.

djunkie
08-08-2004, 01:02 PM
That is not what I said AT ALL
I said Crane guys make 150K.
Where did you read that I said that a person with many years of service should not make more......
Eagle
To think that these guys who work around such heavy objects that, yes, will kill you, allow their fellow workers to get high or be high on the job, THAT MAKES NO SENSE....
Because you have to have seniority to be trained and drive cranes.

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 01:04 PM
I completely agree with you on this. There are a lot of bad seeds down there. But there are a lot of us who are not like this also. Not every longshoreman is a drug addict or alcoholic. A lot of those guys do drink in the parking lots AFTER WORK. But lately they have cracked down on this and it is a rare occurence. As for the guys that show up to work under the influence they are usually fired from that job or they are made to call a replacement.
I know you are right... it seemed to be a bunch called from the hall for a few days work. The guys at Matson that were the regulars were nothing like that at all.

ahhell
08-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Eagle
To think that these guys who work around such heavy objects that, yes, will kill you, allow their fellow workers to get high or be high on the job, THAT MAKES NO SENSE
IF THE UNION WOULD IMPOSE DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING IT MIGHT GO AWAY, BUT THE ACLU MIGHT NOT APPROVE..... IF I WENT TO WORK HIGH/DRUNK I WOUNDT HAVE TO CALL A REPLACEMENT ID HAVE TO CALL THE UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE, AND IVE GOT 22 YRS. SENIORITY AND MAKE 1/3RD OF A CRANE OPERATOR...SHIT I SHOULDNT HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE :mad:

djunkie
08-08-2004, 01:47 PM
Eagle
To think that these guys who work around such heavy objects that, yes, will kill you, allow their fellow workers to get high or be high on the job, THAT MAKES NO SENSE
IF THE UNION WOULD IMPOSE DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING IT MIGHT GO AWAY, BUT THE ACLU MIGHT NOT APPROVE..... IF I WENT TO WORK HIGH/DRUNK I WOUNDT HAVE TO CALL A REPLACEMENT ID HAVE TO CALL THE UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE, AND IVE GOT 22 YRS. SENIORITY AND MAKE 1/3RD OF A CRANE OPERATOR...SHIT I SHOULDNT HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE :mad:
The union does have drug and alcohol testing. In fact I have to take one on tuesday. It is required do to me becoming registered. In fact all of these new people that will be getting in after this next hiring will have to take one also. As for you having 22 years seniority and only making a third of a crane operator, I'm sorry about that. That is the good thing about unions. They help the employee out so that they can keep up with this rate of inflation. At the rate I am going it will be a while before I can ever afford a home with the way property values are. Unfortunately around here 2 bed homes go for over 500K. But as for your job I will not comment on it because It would not be right to comment on someones job until you are correctly educated on the ins and outs of it.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 01:49 PM
San Pedro is sooooooo over priced.....

djunkie
08-08-2004, 01:53 PM
San Pedro is sooooooo over priced.....
I completley agree with you. I have looked even in the Harbor city and Lomita area and it is the same way. I looked at a 2 bed 1 bath house in Lomita today. 1100 square ft. They were asking 550K for it. If I didn't mind the commute I probably would move farther away, but for now I'm stuck here.