PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones on Powell

hurleyr
08-07-2004, 09:01 AM
Does anyone know if cell phones work at lake powell?
We are heading up there this Wednesday and plan to run from Whaweap to Bullfrog would be nice if cell phones worked. Also plan to bring a GPS and hand held radio. Are we forgetting anything?

gramps
08-07-2004, 09:15 AM
you have it pretty well covered.............the cell phones work as long as you can see Navajo Mtn. If the radio is a marine radio there are 24/7 weather reports on one of the weather channels and the NPS monitors channel 16. The only time I wish I had a GPS on Powell is the first time we went all the way t the end of the Escalante arm........coming back out is confusing.

PHX ATC
08-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Cell phones, forget it. Splotchy analog service at best.
GPS is a must, unless you like wandering around a wee bit.
Radio is a must too, although you need an antennae that will help you transmit the signal. Handhelds kinda suck up there with all the distance and canyons.

hurleyr
08-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys for the info. I kinda figured it may be hit and miss.
I'm just trying to make the wife a bit more comfy about the isolation.
You know how them women are!! :)

summerlove
08-07-2004, 10:42 AM
You will have pretty decent cell service from Gregory Point south, and if you can see Navajo Mtn. Depending on conditions, it is sketchy. One time I had a job interview by phone and we went out on the houseboat into the main channel. When we did get cell service, the HB did donuts in the lake- nice tight circles. About 3 or 4 boats came by and asked if all was well, including a NPS boat! First job interview with nothing but a swimsuit on and holding a beer. I still have the pictures. Too bad I didn't get the job!

franky
08-07-2004, 11:34 AM
Yeah, if you are really going to go all the way to Bullfrog, bring a LOT of gas money. Gas is $3.00/gal at Wahweap $3.15 at Dangling Rope, don't know what it is at Bull Frog. We went just to around Dangling Rope and back and spent over $500 for gas. Big houseboat (65') towing boats and jet skiis but you get the drift.
Stay in Friendship Cove area and do day trips in the cruisers. Very spotty on the cell phones.

gramps
08-07-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm just trying to make the wife a bit more comfy about the isolation.
that's what it's all about................we have been "midlake" with no outside communications for a week..............its GREAT

NuckinFutz
08-07-2004, 06:26 PM
You'll have cell service in Bullfrog Bay near the boat ramp. Gas was $3.02 a gallon for the 87 octane last week. If you need 91 octane, go to Halls Crossing. For 87 Bullfrog or Halls will work. They moved the main part of the marina out of the little bay last week, but for fuel you need to go in to the old part (south of all the house boats). For the wife, the north part of the lake has floating restrooms at the mouth of the Escalante, the south end of the Rincon (almost on shore now) and at the marinas. I'm trying to get away for next weekend, but the wife is still negotiating at work for Friday night off, so I'm not sure what the plan is. If I'll be there for the weekend I'd be happy to meet up with you and show you around the Bullfrog end of the lake.