PDA

View Full Version : Places to see on Lake Powell

hurleyr
08-07-2004, 09:24 AM
As I have mentioned several times on this board. We are heading to Powell next week and plan to run from Whaweap to Bullfrog (I'm told 95 miles).
Can anyone point out the must see stops on the way? We are really looking forward to the trip however are not that familar with the places to see on the way.

PHX ATC
08-07-2004, 09:33 AM
Dangling Rope Marina for some ice cream.
Just watch for the angry herds of hungry carp that will eat anything within 10 feet of their gaping mouths.
Enjoy your ride up and back.

gramps
08-07-2004, 09:37 AM
just take your time, the whole thing is a "must see"...........don't forget to turn left when you get to the Cocorado River / San Juan junction to TURN LEFT!!!!!!! Don't go past Dangling Rope without getting fuel.

gramps
08-07-2004, 09:45 AM
Fred's Liquor Store Map of Powell (http://elakepowell.com/freds/bays.htm)
this is a good link to satellite maps of the lake

Mohavekid
08-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Check out Rainbow Bridge for sure. It's a little bit of a hike from the docks now that the water is low, but it's worth the time.
The Escalante arm is also worth a look. Lot's of arches and indian ruins up there.
Have fun. Get a good map, Stan Jones makes a pretty good one and is sold at all the marina's.
Have fun.

hurleyr
08-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Thanks for all the quick replies. I'm taking notes.

summerlove
08-07-2004, 10:38 AM
Check out Rainbow Bridge for sure. It's a little bit of a hike from the docks now that the water is low, but it's worth the time.
The Escalante arm is also worth a look. Lot's of arches and indian ruins up there.
Have fun. Get a good map, Stan Jones makes a pretty good one and is sold at all the marina's.
Have fun.
Just returned myself. Make sure your tanks are full when you leave Wahweap and be sure to fill up at the Rope. I'd pass on Rainbow Bridge. The problem is with the water as low as it is, it is a 3 mile hike R/T to the bridge and back. Buy a postcard instead. Everyone else made good recommendations, but buy a good map (Stan Jones) and get a good GPS with a map and follow it. Also, be sure to use the main channel as most of the shortcuts are no longer there. What used to be 100' under water is now 18' above it! Have fun. Check this out.
Summer Love's Lake Powell Website (http://www.oursummerlove.com/LakePowellinfopage12.htm)

mmered8299
08-07-2004, 10:40 AM
First thing you do before launching is buy a map. The lake looks all the same so you can get lost easy. Keep an eye out for the mile marker bouys on the lake and on the map. I don't know how much time you plan to spend out there, but you'll need more than a week to see the whole lake. Unless the water leve is down so far that the canyons are short so you can't see as much. You will still have a good time with the low water levels.

gramps
08-07-2004, 11:01 AM
here is another link to Powell.....it orginally started out as a fishing site but now is one of the most informative sites about Powell
the site is run by a Utah fish & game biologist but he does it on his own not thru the state.
Waynes World - Lake Powell (http://wayneswords.com/)

Huckleberry
08-07-2004, 11:47 AM
Reflection Canyon around mile marker 67 is also beautiful.

NuckinFutz
08-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Another thing to keep in mind if you're new to Powell is the color of bouys. There are red and green ones along the channel. The main channel will always be on the west of the red ones and east of the green ones. Alot of the time you can just head where ever, but if in doubt they can help. One of the neatest canyons is Lost Eden which is only a couple miles from Bullfrog, but worth seeing. As you head west after passing Halls Crossing Marina look for the little finger just after the mouth of Halls Creek Bay, it's in the northwest corner of the channel. After going into the finger, take the first right and then stay left, there is a giant shady cove in there and worth seeing. It is only a couple minute trip, but worth it, especially if you're running through transem exhaust and want to hear the echo of the wall, as they are close and tall.

77charger
08-07-2004, 06:28 PM
I just got back last might we took a 2 night 3 day trip on our boats we went to escalante arm marker 68 definitly go to cathedral in the desert cove it has a little waterfall in back and a nice cliff jump.also a nice canyon at the 50 mile marker on the north side of the lake gos back a ways but comes up on a nice little beach where you can hike back aways.Once we got past rainbow bridge the water was flat and only saw two boats from there to escalante arm :) this was after 6.30 waterskiing was very nice and saw alot of striper boils everywhere.

hurleyr
08-10-2004, 07:30 PM
I'm off to Powell in the morning. Thanks for all the help/replys.
Hurley..

summerlove
08-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm off to Powell in the morning. Thanks for all the help/replys.
Hurley..
You dog! Have fun...and be safe! :D

Mardonzi
08-10-2004, 09:15 PM
A canyon that is great for a stop off is right up Forbidden Canyon (that's the canyon that Rainbow Bridge is up). Right before you get to the docks at Rainbow, take the canyon up to the left (North).. Great beach, waterfall, and all the firewood you can burn. We were up there over the 4th of July and never saw a soul... Secret Canyon is also a must see. As far as the laminated Stan Jones map,, they are everywhere, including the Safeway store. Have a great trip!!