PDA

View Full Version : Boat storage while painting trailer?

455Olds
08-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Anybody have any good ideas for storing my boat while I paint my trailer? I don't have access to a dock or other location to just set her in the water for the weekend... and no garage large enough to suspend the boat from the rafters....

riverbound
08-08-2004, 10:02 AM
You could see if a local manufactureer or boat reair place will put it on a dolly for you. I know that when I was having my gel redone they took the boat off the trailer and put it on a big dolly.

Mandelon
08-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Can you build a cradle or hanging rig for it? I've seen guys just put em up on blocks and pull the trailer out slowly while moving the blocks around. But be careful.

Tom Brown
08-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Up here, our marinas have big racks for winter boat storage. I don't know if you guys have that down there but there ought to be plenty of rack space in August and they have the facilities to safely put it in a rack.
Just a thought.

Screemy1
08-10-2004, 07:20 AM
A local shop here told me the best way is leave the boat where you store ie: side of the house, and put it on a bunch of straw hay bales, use a hydralic jak and some wood, move the trailer out slowly and lay on the bales in various locations... sounds hard, but I watched them do it and it seemed pretty smooth.....

Some Kind Of Monster
08-10-2004, 10:01 AM
When I painted my trailer, I backed my boat up to a tree, jacked the back up, straped it up off the trailer from the tree, and lifted the bow with an engine lift and pulled the trailer out. Is it ghetto? Yes. Did it work? Yes.

GottaJet
08-17-2004, 03:56 PM
See if one of your local boat trailer repair/manufacturer places will let you borrow (will probably have to stay on their premesis) a trailer. They usually have several laying around. Possible fee but alot less hassle. just my .02 GJ

drysumpjet
08-18-2004, 04:14 AM
Use of an engine hoist can help get it off the trailer on to some blocks. If your ski tow is rather substantial and is attached to the engine, you can attach your engine hoist there, otherwise chain it to the block. If the engine is out of the boat and you have transom tie down points, you can lift from these. (I don't think I would try that with the engine in)
Once you get the back of the boat lifted off the trailer slightly, a couple of people can lift the bow enough to let the trailer slide out.
On another note, nowdays some jet ski trailers have a teflon like material covering the bunks instead of carpet. These teflon covered bunks are extremely slippery, the ski slides easier than if it was on rollers. Has anybody tried this for larger boats?

badrat
08-24-2004, 07:00 PM
I just finished redoing my boat, I built a A/frame out of 4X4 tubing, made in 3 pieces , so I can knock it down and store it , I had a 18' hull hanging from it, I also made a wider top bar so I could replace a motor in a 23' rinker,
I'll try to post some pictuers, the bottom has a 4' tube that has 6' swivel casters for moving it around, BILL :cool: