PDA

View Full Version : DuramMax rough idle

OutCole'd
08-08-2004, 10:37 AM
I have a 04 Duramax that is starting to idle real rough like it is about to stall. No lights have come on to indicate a code.
Anyone know af any common problems like this??

Mandelon
08-08-2004, 04:01 PM
Perhaps some funky fuel? I think you ought to take it in for a checkup to keep something worse from happening..........

Duck
08-08-2004, 06:12 PM
Could also be injectors. Ask the nice people at the Diesel Place.com. :idea:

OutCole'd
08-08-2004, 06:24 PM
Perhaps some funky fuel? I think you ought to take it in for a checkup to keep something worse from happening..........
It's been happening for a few tanks now. So fuel is out.
How's your door???

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 06:26 PM
Don't forget fuel filter every 15k miles. Let one of my esteemed fellow technicians look at it.

OutCole'd
08-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Don't forget fuel filter every 15k miles. Let one of my esteemed fellow technicians look at it.
It only has about 5k miles on it.
Thanks though.

BLOWN HOWARD
08-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Sounds like you got an injector sticking, had the same problem, the dealership gave me some diesel conditioner for it and it went away.

OutCole'd
08-09-2004, 12:17 PM
Sounds like you got an injector sticking, had the same problem, the dealership gave me some diesel conditioner for it and it went away.
Makes sense. Thanks, I'll try it.

Kachina26
08-09-2004, 12:45 PM
Check your PM's :idea:

OutCole'd
08-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Check your PM's :idea:
Thanks again for the PM. I called my local Chevy dealer, and they have not heard of these bulletins. I am going to drive about 6 hours away this weekend, should I be worried about this, is it only going to cause a rough idle?

Mandelon
08-09-2004, 08:46 PM
Thanks again for the PM. I called my local Chevy dealer, and they have not heard of these bulletins. I am going to drive about 6 hours away this weekend, should I be worried about this, is it only going to cause a rough idle?
Yes, until it catches on fire and explodes, that is. Other than that, it will be fine. ;) PS, door is still dented.... :frown:

Kachina26
08-10-2004, 05:18 AM
I think you will be ok, hard to say with out actually seeing how rough this idle is. If it is pretty rough and does it consistantly, take it down there. Remember those bulletins are after normal diagnostics are exhuasted. It would be nice if it were just a loose ground though.

Jordy
08-10-2004, 07:21 AM
The only thing I think I would keep my eye on would be the oil level. I don't remember the Duramax being as notorious for pumping the crankcase full of fuel as the 6.0 Powerstroke, but that would be one think I would look out for at any rate.
I got a deal in the mail a while back about my '02 saying that because of some early injector problems with a few trucks, my injectors and fuel system will be covered under warranty until 200K miles. :D

Kachina26
08-10-2004, 07:26 AM
The only thing I think I would keep my eye on would be the oil level. I don't remember the Duramax being as notorious for pumping the crankcase full of fuel as the 6.0 Powerstroke, but that would be one think I would look out for at any rate.
I got a deal in the mail a while back about my '02 saying that because of some early injector problems with a few trucks, my injectors and fuel system will be covered under warranty until 200K miles. :D
Didn't you get different injectors when you did the Dynamic Diesel thing or did they leave the stock ones in. We have gotten info from GM that these kits bump up pressure so high that they are causing the injectors to separate. Which gives you your crankcase full of fuel. I'm sure it has happened on stock set ups too, just GM's way of CYA. We had one truck in so far with the popped top. What a mess!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Jordy
08-10-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm still running the stock ones in mine. And in 20K+ miles I've had no problems with the Edge on it (knocking on wood). I think I'm at about 53k miles on my truck now.

Kachina26
08-10-2004, 09:10 AM
Well if you ever have a problem or go in to the dealer at all for that matter I wouldn't let them know you have the edge on it. Maybe even pull it off . Then again some dealers don't care.

Jordy
08-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Well if you ever have a problem or go in to the dealer at all for that matter I wouldn't let them know you have the edge on it. Maybe even pull it off . Then again some dealers don't care.
It will come off in the event that I have to go to the dealer. Just to be on the safe side. :D

BoatFloating
08-10-2004, 11:07 AM
It will come off in the event that I have to go to the dealer. Just to be on the safe side. :D
That's what's nice about the edge.... It comes off easy :)

B-rad502
08-25-2004, 07:15 PM
I have 2 friends that just brought theirs in for a bulletin that came out on the injectors. They had the same problem with the rough idle and ends up a bulletin was out on the Duramax. One is a 2001 the other a 2002.

DogHouse
08-25-2004, 07:51 PM
I have a 04 Duramax that is starting to idle real rough like it is about to stall. No lights have come on to indicate a code.
Anyone know af any common problems like this??
I heard that's common on GM trucks after they've smacked a curb or two real good.
:D
Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

OutCole'd
08-25-2004, 07:57 PM
I heard that's common on GM trucks after they've smacked a curb or two real good.
:D
Sorry, couldn't resist! ;)
Ouch, damn you never forget anything...
I was going to say, it has not stalled on me yet. I need to get it into the dealer before it does though.

PHOTOGLOU
08-27-2004, 05:32 AM
Ouch, damn you never forget anything...
I was going to say, it has not stalled on me yet. I need to get it into the dealer before it does though.
Have your local dealer or me drain your water fuel seperator and I will check with service today and update you I think the LB7 is the one that has injector issue to be resolved