PDA

View Full Version : No up trim

beyondhelpin
08-08-2004, 12:47 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!
Yesterday at the lake my up trim quit working. My trailer up button still works (button for full up for trailering). I hear the up silenoid working when I hit the trailer button. Does this mean that it can only be the wiring or the trim rocker switch? The down button works fine.
If it is the buton does anyone know the right way to take off the the throttle handle. I would imagine there is a few things in there that could get jacked up if I am not carefull.
I have a poker run next weekend to go to and I am sure I cant get it into and out of the shop by Saturday. It is a 94 7.4 Merc.

Scream
08-08-2004, 12:49 PM
The trim button on the throttle will only work to about 1/2 way, which means there must be a limit switch or position sensor that tells the system when the throttle trim is at full up. Perhaps that position switch or sensor is stuck?
I'm no mechanic, so I thought I'd throw that out there.

Kilrtoy
08-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Happen to me on my old boat.
5 dollar part 150 labor
Sikmple fix if you can do it yourself....
button went bad...

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 12:52 PM
The trim button on the throttle will only work to about 1/2 way, which means there must be a limit switch or position sensor that tells the system when the throttle trim is at full up. Perhaps that position switch or sensor is stuck?
I'm no mechanic, so I thought I'd throw that out there.
You're on the right track scream, check the wires on the trim limit sensor. It is bolted to the left side of the gimbal ring. The wires on the indicator on my old boat broke more than once. Also check the screws that hold the sensor on, if they came loose then you may be out of adjustment.

beyondhelpin
08-08-2004, 01:06 PM
Good idea Scream. It was seeming like there was something else it could be. I even looked on the side of the out drive and was eyeballing the trim indicator. I think the part you are taling about is about in the same place just on the other side of the outdrive. I will run down and look.

Scream
08-08-2004, 01:08 PM
Whew, I musta slept in today, cause I'm kinda smart...
Screw that, I'm gonna start hammerin down and kill those pesky brain cells once and for all...

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 01:09 PM
Good idea Scream. It was seeming like there was something else it could be. I even looked on the side of the out drive and was eyeballing the trim indicator. I think the part you are taling about is about in the same place just on the other side of the outdrive. I will run down and look.
One of the other board members (EdUkaTor I think) had a similar problem, It turned out to be the up solenoid and he got it via the mercury parts express system on the confuser.

beyondhelpin
08-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Damn Scream did you stay in a Holiday Inn last night. I just went down and checked the limit switch and bingo loose wire.
In payment would you like your virgin sent out to be Blonde or Brunette?

KACHINA KEN
08-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Lower it ALL the way and check again.

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Damn Scream did you stay in a Holiday Inn last night. I just went down and checked the limit switch and bingo loose wire.
Ill take whichever one Scream doesn't want...

Tom Brown
08-08-2004, 01:16 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!
I think you're a little beyond that.
If the system works with the other switch, the solenoid is OK. That puts it down to the limit switch, a bunch of wiring, and the switch in the handle.
You might want to start by testing the wire at the harness connector at the end of the remote cable. It's probably in the engine compartment but I haven't worked on a stern drive that is newer than about 1990. As I recall, the up trim wire is green/white. Keep in mind, my memory is terrible. I recall the down wire being blue/white but I could have them confused or I could be imagining the whole thing.
If you can find someone with a wiring diagram, that will help a lot. Once you have the problem isolated, it should be pretty straight forward from there.

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey, I want half credit. He said stuck I said broken wire :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Tom Brown
08-08-2004, 01:20 PM
I just went down and checked the limit switch and bingo loose wire.
Scream just saved you about three grand.

Scream
08-08-2004, 01:27 PM
I've got a blonde now, so let's try a brunette...

beyondhelpin
08-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Scream just saved you about three grand.
I guess you have not checked the going price on virgins latley have you!

beyondhelpin
08-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Hey, I want half credit. He said stuck I said broken wire :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Alright you get the blonde! My guess she is a virgin! She is a tad on heavy side and now that I think about it she is a damn ugly. But I think what keeps her a virgin is the fact that she does not have any teeth. Turn off the lights and get a blow*** and she just might be a dream gir!!!
BTW thanks to all the guys who threw in a little input!