PDA

View Full Version : Depth gages

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Do your depth gages work while on a plane? Especially those of you with stepped bottoms.

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 08:00 PM
ours does not................ :eek:

MRS FLYIN VEE
Do your depth gages work while on a plane? Especially those of you with stepped bottoms.
I don't think they do.. but who am I to say.. I'm just a rider.. :D :D :D

Dr. Eagle
NO, they won't because the water is aerated under the hull. W/O step bottom, works sometimes and not sometimes.
Kinda sucks...

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
that's what I was told, I was just a bit skeptical. Seems odd to have a depth finder that only works when you are going slow enough to see how deep it is.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 08:12 PM
that's what I was told, I was just a bit skeptical. Seems odd to have a depth finder that only works when you are going slow enough to see how deep it is.
thats what we thought.. coming out of the mini sandbar,... well it looked deep enough.. but noooooooooooooooooooo we f ucked up both props,... maybe it was the drinks I had..
"oh yah honey ,, it's deep enough.. clank clank clank.. boy did I get an ass chewin all the way back to the channel.. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

LHC30Victory
08-08-2004, 08:16 PM
thats what we thought.. coming out of the mini sandbar,... well it looked deep enough.. but noooooooooooooooooooo we f ucked up both props,...
AND the transducer (the thingy that sends and receives the signal) is mounted at the BACK of the boat so by the time you are warned that there is shallow water...it's too late. :mad:

Mohavekid
08-08-2004, 08:17 PM
My boat does not have a stepped bottom, but my Humminbird depth finder works well all the way up to 65 MPH or so.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 08:17 PM
AND the transducer (the thingy that sends and receives the signal) is mounted at the BACK of the boat so by the time you are warned that there is shallow water...it's too late. :mad:
yep.. I found that out the hard way and the expensive way.. two props.. :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Tom Brown
08-08-2004, 08:41 PM
My boat does not have a stepped bottom, but my Humminbird depth finder works well all the way up to 65 MPH or so.
Ditto. I picked up a Humminbird finder from Rex Marine and the only time it looses signal is when the lake is too deep. My hull is not stepped. The transducer is epoxied to the bottom of the bilge. I've never looked at anything but the water immediately ahead of my white knuckles when I'm going over 70 but I've never seen it loose signal because of speed.
It's a 600' Max depth finder but it looses signal after 150'. That's probably because I'm shooting the transducer through my hull. I'm happy with the 150' range but if you go the through hull route, think about getting a better transducer.
-- Tom

Dr. Eagle
08-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Do you have a transducer mounted in the water, or through the hull?

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Ditto. I picked up a Humminbird finder from Rex Marine and the only time it looses signal is when the lake is too deep. My hull is not stepped. The transducer is epoxied to the bottom of the bilge. I've never looked at anything but the water immediately ahead of my white knuckles when I'm going over 70 but I've never seen it loose signal because of speed.
It's a 600' Max depth finder but it looses signal after 150'. That's probably because I'm shooting the transducer through my hull. I'm happy with the 150' range but if you go the through hull route, think about getting a better transducer.
-- Tom
Boy Tom, you have been disturbingly on topic today with many sound words of advise. Are you ok????

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 08:49 PM
Boy Tom, you have been disturbingly on topic today with many sound words of advise. Are you ok????
I thought Tom was ...............on vacation??!!?!? :eek:

Phat Matt
08-08-2004, 08:51 PM
Mine doesn't. I think they are a better guide for how much anchor rope you are going to need. Because like it has been said before, at any type of speed by the time your guage says it's to shallow your props already told you. :eek:

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Scream are you listening!?!
we need a humingbird depth finder thingy! :cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 09:00 PM
next to the thingy mabob.. :) :D :D

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 09:00 PM
No, you need to be more careful.

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 09:02 PM
next to the thingy mabob.. :) :D :D
exactly! I tried to give you some reputation, but it won't open the window thingy!?! :eek:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 09:04 PM
exactly! I tried to give you some reputation, but it won't open the window thingy!?! :eek:
too many votes.. ;)

Debbolas
08-08-2004, 09:05 PM
I guess....I should be able to give more out at 10:22, that is when I started yesterday...... :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 09:09 PM
I guess....I should be able to give more out at 10:22, that is when I started yesterday...... :)
LOL!! I am going to check how many I have.. :D

Scream
08-08-2004, 09:13 PM
I was able to dole out as much reputation as I can tonight, so if I haven't kissed your ass lately, you'll get some points.
By the way, I don't need no stinkin depth finder, just give me a beer and a throttle lever and I'm good to go...

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I was able to dole out as much reputation as I can tonight, so if I haven't kissed your ass lately, you'll get some points.
By the way, I don't need no stinkin depth finder, just give me a beer and a throttle lever and I'm good to go...
damn brown nose.. no wonder you have been married for so long.. LOL!! J/K :D

NorCalCat
08-08-2004, 09:18 PM
NO! They are sonar, thus the bleeps are behind you if you are moving at any decent speed.

Kachina26
08-08-2004, 09:43 PM
I can't afford a depth finder like yours:D

Huckleberry
08-09-2004, 04:27 AM
I have THREE depth finders on my cat. A thru hull thingy with a guage on the dash for idle speeds, and two cleavers hanging off the back for finding bottom while on plane! :boxed:

phebus
08-09-2004, 06:03 AM
Just installed a Livorsi depth finder in a stepped cat. Doesn't work on plane, and that is with the transducer epoxied in the center pod.

THOR
08-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Mine updates too late while running. But, at idle, it is money.

NuckinFutz
08-09-2004, 08:19 AM
I have a Gaffrig with the transducer shooting through the hull mounted just forward of the first step. It works great, on plane and at Powell at depths of 250' plus. Granted it isn't telling you whats ahead and on Powell the depth can go from 300 to 0 in less than a foot.

Tom Brown
08-09-2004, 08:33 AM
...on Powell the depth can go from 300 to 0 in less than a foot.
:eek: :eek: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: