PDA

View Full Version : spyware????????

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-09-2004, 12:48 AM
For some o reason my computer was running slower that usual. So I went to cnet.com and downloaed a free spyware 'seek and destroy" tool. I loae it up and whatcha know. I had some @ssholes messing with me. I had it scan and delete the spyware and now my internet is faster.Also, it remove all of those iritating popups! Has anyone else been through this? If so what do you use for removing spyware.

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 12:52 AM
I use the free version of AdAware6.0, free from C-net too, also Spybot Search and Destroy is good, Check your PM's

Huckleberry
08-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Be caureful of free spyware downloads, as some of them are spyware themselves! The two MandMVG suggested are the absolute best free ones out there. We use them here at my work where we have literally thousands of terminals, all with access to classified info. They work awesome.

Essex502
08-09-2004, 06:26 AM
I use Pest Patrol, Adaware and SpyBot - each finds different stuff. Pest Patrol seems to be the most thorough for most spyware as it checks the Windows registry as well where the other two didn't find any problems with the registry but Pest Patrol did.

Kilrtoy
08-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Spyware may be causing some of those problems. I use spybot Also. Unforunately I got this one(DSO) I cant get rid of. I have to take it in have have the whole computer Cleaned out. My buddy got it and it sucks......
Some people are real jerls, they purposely create shit to mess you up....

Scream
08-09-2004, 06:55 AM
I use Pest Patrol, Adaware and SpyBot - each finds different stuff. Pest Patrol seems to be the most thorough for most spyware as it checks the Windows registry as well where the other two didn't find any problems with the registry but Pest Patrol did.
Never heard of Pest patrol, I'll have to look into this. I use adaware 6 at home and work religeously, and spybot on occasion. Jeff Levy (computer guy on the radio) suggests two different programs for scanning for problems, weather it's for spyware or for virus scans. Good advice actually. You'll find that almost every website you visit, and some html email you open, will download some form of spyware onto your computer, it's unfortunately a fact o life. Scan Early, Scan Often and don't forget to backup your loosable files weekly.

Essex502
08-09-2004, 07:05 AM
Never heard of Pest patrol, I'll have to look into this. I use adaware 6 at home and work religeously, and spybot on occasion. Jeff Levy (computer guy on the radio) suggests two different programs for scanning for problems, weather it's for spyware or for virus scans. Good advice actually. You'll find that almost every website you visit, and some html email you open, will download some form of spyware onto your computer, it's unfortunately a fact o life. Scan Early, Scan Often and don't forget to backup your loosable files weekly.
I learned of Pest Patrol through my ISP - Earthlink. They have/had a link to it from their website. Seems to work pretty good. You might try it before you have your computer O/S reloaded (I am assuming that's what's gonna' happen when you take it in...)

Scream
08-09-2004, 07:06 AM
I learned of Pest Patrol through my ISP - Earthlink. They have/had a link to it from their website. Seems to work pretty good. You might try it before you have your computer O/S reloaded (I am assuming that's what's gonna' happen when you take it in...)
I'll go look for that...

Keithb87
08-09-2004, 07:15 AM
:eek: AdAware at home and work.... the first time I ren it at home it found over 200 spyware programs .... :eek:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
08-09-2004, 03:38 PM
since i ran the programs and cleaned out my comp. all my internet pages load up quick like new. this is a brand new computer and I was wondering why it was so damn slow all of a sudden. people that do this stuff should be left in the middle of iraq :D cant they just spend thier time getting a piece of @ss or something constructive?????????