PDA

View Full Version : Political Rhetoric Forum

Froggystyle
08-09-2004, 08:12 AM
I have been badgering Hot Boat to put a "Political Rhetoric" section up in our forum list. This way, the mods can move all of the Poli-Sci stuff over to a spot where people who are interested in seeing the same four or five people espouse their version of utopia over and over can find safe haven.
The "Sandbar" is for bullshit people. We want thong pictures and song chains in here... not topical political commentary.
Take it somewhere else!!! :burningm:
Froggy"kindofkidding"style

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-09-2004, 08:14 AM
I agree.. I hate the political threads.. thats why I stay out of them.. :)

rrrr
08-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Sounds like a great idea.

eliminatedsprinter
08-09-2004, 08:27 AM
Hey I resemble that remark. ;)
How hard is to just not click on political threads? I mean, I see lot of uninteresting threads and I just don't click on them. Is there a rule that I'm missing? :confused: Can I get kicked off the boards for not reading every thread. ;)
Besides, like you said the Sandbar is for BS and what is more BS than politics. :D
A politics section does seem like a good idea for a solution. If I could only figure out the problem. :idea: :)

welk2party
08-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I have been badgering Hot Boat to put a "Political Rhetoric" section up in our forum list. This way, the mods can move all of the Poli-Sci stuff over to a spot where people who are interested in seeing the same four or five people espouse their version of utopia over and over can find safe haven.
The "Sandbar" is for bullshit people. We want thong pictures and song chains in here... not topical political commentary.
I vote yes! :)

Stupid Fast
08-09-2004, 08:41 AM
It would not bother me one bit to have a seperate section.
What would happen to the threads that get hijacked? :idea:
What would LP and over 18 do? I must admit he is funny.... ;)
I would imagine he may just leave?

Dr. Eagle
08-09-2004, 08:51 AM
I stay out of them until the lies get a bit too thick... and I just can't help myself. A separate forum would be good, then I could put it on my ignore list... :argue: :)

gnarley
08-09-2004, 08:53 AM
Besides, like you said the Sandbar is for BS and what is more BS than politics.
I concur with ES. If you were at the sandbar, might this be a topic that came up? Like those who complain about adult movies, if you don't like them, no one is twisting your arm to see them. The same holds true here also. If I see one that I don't want to read I just stay away and look for another one that is more interesting.
Wes are you sure you are not a Democrat who wants special treatment for yet another section further dividing the population? J/K :D I couldn't resist a little dig there :D

Huckleberry
08-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Make a separate forum for the political BS, unless it is directly related to boating. I come to get away from politics and that type of crap the media trumps up.

Froggystyle
08-09-2004, 09:18 AM
IWes are you sure you are not a Democrat who wants special treatment for yet another section further dividing the population? J/K :D I couldn't resist a little dig there :D
Actually, more specifically, I am a Republican who just wants the complaining done somewhere else.

mirvin
08-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Seems like a good idea....even though it does appear to be a left winged attempt at some sort of censorship :D
mirvin :)

Ziggy
08-09-2004, 09:32 AM
I agree.. I hate the political threads.. thats why I stay out of them.. :)
Me too but I just got emailed something from my Mother-in-Law that I want to post...Watch for it. :D

eliminatedsprinter
08-09-2004, 09:34 AM
:D Seems like a good idea....even though it does appear to be a left winged attempt at some sort of censorship :D
mirvin :)
:D :D Left wing censorship indeed. :D :boxed:

Speedin' Ian
08-09-2004, 09:39 AM
I agree Froggystyle put those threads in there own forum! That way the few political experts (a few of which don't even own a boat) who know everything about politics can spread their gospel to the select people who really care. I also agree that it's simple enough to skip over but you still clog up the board with those threads, lets do away with those threads and make more room for thongs and boating pictures!

Lake Pirate
08-09-2004, 09:46 AM
How hard is it to read a thread title and decide if you want to read it's content or not? If that is so difficult you can move your cursor over the topic and read the first sentence which will also let you know of the threads content. Censorship will kill a site. Y'all will live do fine without me but, where does it end? First politics then school supplies? When a few dictate the rules for the many you choke and destroy a site. Your site. Your business. Jusy MHO. I easily avoid topics I find trite or bland. Should I petition to have them disallowed because I personally find them "off the mark" for my taste?

carbonmarine
08-09-2004, 09:50 AM
ITS AN ELECTION YEAR ...... that is the ONLY thing I attribute the talk too.......
Rick

mirvin
08-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Yeah, nobody talks about politics while they're sitting on the water, do they??? :D
mirvin

Froggystyle
08-09-2004, 11:03 AM
How hard is it to read a thread title and decide if you want to read it's content or not? If that is so difficult you can move your cursor over the topic and read the first sentence which will also let you know of the threads content. Censorship will kill a site. Y'all will live do fine without me but, where does it end? First politics then school supplies? When a few dictate the rules for the many you choke and destroy a site. Your site. Your business. Jusy MHO. I easily avoid topics I find trite or bland. Should I petition to have them disallowed because I personally find them "off the mark" for my taste?
It isn't censorship any more that putting V-drive talk in it's own section is censorship.
I don't think the Blower Motor guys feel censored. The thing is, the blower talk doesn't appeal to most peoples sense of every day jibber jabber any more than Left Vs Right does. The fact is, especially on this forum, the political topics are derisive and full of animosity towards the end of them. It makes for a dour sandbar, and I for one would like to see it elsewhere. Particularly a place I am not tempted to go into. And, like it was said, I can "ignore" literally and figuritavely.
Bench racers are a little animated too. So are some Jet vs. V-Drive arguments. I don't even look in those forums now, because I know what to expect. I contrast to this, I check nearly every single sandbar topic during the course of it's run.
Have fun.

Dr. Eagle
08-09-2004, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=Lake Pirate]. Censorship will kill a site. Y'all will live do fine without me but, where does it end? QUOTE]
:rolleyes: So now putting all political content under a political content forum would be censorship? :rolleyes: :)

Jeanyus
08-09-2004, 11:27 AM
Welcome to America,
This is an election year, so chances are you are going to hear about politics.
Of course you could bury your head in the sand, turn off you tv and your computer. Pretend like politicians dont exist. Sorry that political debates have so animosity in them, it's called a debate, some are duds, some are interesting, some people have good points to consider, and some people are like broken records, repeating things over and over.
I have gotten some usefull information, to consider out of these threads.
If you see a thread title that does not give you a warm fuzzy feeling, then, don't read it.

KACHINA KEN
08-09-2004, 11:27 AM
HERE HERE!!!

KACHINA KEN
08-09-2004, 11:30 AM
It's just good housekeeping LP, don't let your panties get in a bunch, don't worry everyone who gives a shit will still look at your posts if it's only a folder away.

KACHINA KEN
It's just good housekeeping LP, don't let your panties get in a bunch, don't worry everyone who gives a shit will still look at your posts if it's only a folder away.
Or better yet.
Here is a whole bunch of "you people"
http://www.politicalcrossfire.com/

BUSTI
The arrogance! Wes what makes you think anybody here is trying to get you to think like them? And who really cares what you think? For that matter who cares what I think? But obviously there are plenty of people that care and on the Sanbar they have the opportunity to respond.
The Sandbar is for general bullshit conversations. Sort of like what really occurs on the beach. Just guys and gals talking about every topic under the sun........on this forum we have discussed fishing and hunting and the opinions of many as it relates to animal rights. Or how about the divorced Mom that asked for advice related to dead beat Dads. Or sports and or consumer complaints. All topics that I assure you are topics frequently discussed at the Sanbar at the River or Lake. And non of these topics have any thing to do with BOATING!
What the Sandbar does have to do with is PEOPLE! All sahpes, sizes, ages, genders, all with varied inteerest and that is what makes the Sandbar interesting. Don't act is if people with passionate beliefs for politics are some how a pain in the ass to you...........if you don't like it move on to a thread that does interest you and leave all us pain in the ass T H I N K I N G political hounds to just "espouse" on at our lil corner of the Sandbar.
I am particularly not crazy about Lake Pirates philosophy but I enjoy his company and political challenges. And personally find it refreshing he is interested in more that just boats and butts in thongs.
I am rebuilding a Spectra 20 and have enjoyed talking about that also.............but the point is this. If we were at the Sanbar at Parker AZ and I constantly spoke about politics would you ask me to leave the beach? No you would just walk over to another group of folks and visit with them on a topic that interested YOU. ITS CALLED FREEDOM........we all have the freedom to participate at the Sandbar when and where ever we like.
Frankly I am sort of shocked that you suggest such a thing. :argue:

Dr. Eagle
08-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Welcome to America,
This is an election year, so chances are you are going to hear about politics.
Of course you could bury your head in the sand, turn off you tv and your computer. Pretend like politicians dont exist. Sorry that political debates have so animosity in them, it's called a debate, some are duds, some are interesting, some people have good points to consider, and some people are like broken records, repeating things over and over.
I have gotten some usefull information, to consider out of these threads.
If you see a thread title that does not give you a warm fuzzy feeling, then, don't read it.
True, true, but just click on this link and you will see that the VERY guy bemoaning and claiming censorship up above has a political forum on his boating forum...Lake Pirate's Locker (http://www.lakepirateforums.com/phpBB2/index.php)
Soooooo once again, what is wrong with a political forum here on HB?

gnarley
08-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Actually, more specifically, I am a Republican who just wants the complaining done somewhere else.
I know, but you sounded like a Dem who wants special treatment. :)

Dr. Eagle
08-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Now you guys have me all cornfused... :confused: :D

Jeanyus
08-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Dr E
I tried that website, but I didn't inhale.

Dr. Eagle
08-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Dr E
I tried that website, but I didn't inhale.
OK, I believe that........ :)

rrrr
08-09-2004, 11:45 AM
True, true, but just click on this link and you will see that the VERY guy bemoaning and claiming censorship up above has a political forum on his boating forum...Lake Pirate's Locker (http://www.lakepirateforums.com/phpBB2/index.php)
Soooooo once again, what is wrong with a political forum here on HB?
Ewwwwwww...... I feel dirty now.

Dr. Eagle
08-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Ewwwwwww...... I feel dirty now.
You didn't practice safe clicking? :confused: :yuk:

Froggystyle
08-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Even more specifically... wants special treatment for a disaffected part of our ***boat society. I want them to have a forum so that they can feel special too. Why SHOULDN"T political types have their own forum? In fact, it is unfair of the damned right wing Zionist pigs to overwhelm every political thread on here with their brand of claptrap and oppress the minority Democrats/Liberals who frequent our board.
Let's pass a law. Because the Dems are in the minority on this forum, they should be allowed special privileges. Privileges such as a post count norming system where every post is worth 1.33 posts instead of the normal 1. We should practice equal opportunity to help out the disenfranchised liberals by taking any feedback rating system in the forums and multiplying any positive feedback by two, and throwing out any negative feedback altogether.
Also, being in the minority, there should be a tax break on the cost of the forums to them to keep them coming. We will actually start charging the other forum members now so they can get it at a reduced or non-existant price. Better that "they" start paying their load than everyone get treated equally.
I see a better world out there on the horizon...

eliminatedsprinter
08-09-2004, 01:29 PM
Good ideas :) . In fact let's tie the cost to the value of their boats. The more expensive the boat the more they pay to use the forum. :) Unless they donate to the Bluewater foundation, then we will let them deduct it. :idea:
Now let's figure out what kind of boats we should allow a "***boater" to have and remember no discriminating against Bayliners, they have to be in. Shiadas, Coles, Howards etc however should probably be excluded because people who have elitist boats like that don't need a forum. After all, why does anyone need a fancy assault boat like a Stoker or a DCB....Of course, boats that are too small should also be kicked off. Yep that's it ***boat forums will be for Bayliners only and the topic matters will be limited to Love, Peace, and Hair Grease... Errr and abortions of course...
Censored ***boating, leftist style.....WoooHooo :D :D :) ;) Just tooo much fun...

Froggystyle
08-09-2004, 01:33 PM
Of course, boats that are too small should also be kicked off.
Not to correct you, but the smaller boats actually need only a 10 day waiting period and a background check. :idea:

mbrown2
08-09-2004, 01:38 PM
I say move them....actually, move them to another site...

HM
08-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey...I want special treatment too!! How about at a MLM forum? :)
I don't care either way. But, it is not censorship you handwringing pinko commie bastards. :D

eliminatedsprinter
08-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Not to correct you, but the smaller boats actually need only a 10 day waiting period and a background check. :idea:
:D :)

Dave C
08-09-2004, 01:46 PM
sure thats where it starts.... 10 day wait then what... off to a camp for smaller boats.
that's boat-profiling.

Dave C
08-09-2004, 01:49 PM
post count affirmative action?
Even more specifically... wants special treatment for a disaffected part of our ***boat society. I want them to have a forum so that they can feel special too. Why SHOULDN"T political types have their own forum? In fact, it is unfair of the damned right wing Zionist pigs to overwhelm every political thread on here with their brand of claptrap and oppress the minority Democrats/Liberals who frequent our board.
Let's pass a law. Because the Dems are in the minority on this forum, they should be allowed special privileges. Privileges such as a post count norming system where every post is worth 1.33 posts instead of the normal 1. We should practice equal opportunity to help out the disenfranchised liberals by taking any feedback rating system in the forums and multiplying any positive feedback by two, and throwing out any negative feedback altogether.
Also, being in the minority, there should be a tax break on the cost of the forums to them to keep them coming. We will actually start charging the other forum members now so they can get it at a reduced or non-existant price. Better that "they" start paying their load than everyone get treated equally.
I see a better world out there on the horizon...

HM
08-09-2004, 01:50 PM
That reminds me of the forum I suggested to ***boat. The Forum Suicide Forum....You know, for those peeps who get so pissed off at typed words on their computer screen that they announce they are leaving(JetHydro & DD just to name a few). I even recommended that their post automatically have this added to the beggining: "Farewell Cruel World, AKA ***boat Forums".
It was well received, even hailed. But, was considered ahead of its time. :idea:

Lake Pirate
08-09-2004, 02:27 PM
When I divided my forum into general topics and political topics, it killed the board. I let a few whiners who had no business clicking on a political thread dictate policy. When I separated the forums...they all died. The very people who pissed and moaned about the political threads bored of their own mindless banter and the board kinda faded away. I am now trying to salvage what is left but it's prolly too late. If you allow this, you will effectively kill your board. Too many forums equal specialization which equals death for all the forums. Don't listen to me...I don't really care. I am (however) speaking from experience whereas y'all are merely reacting on an emotional level.

HM
08-09-2004, 02:46 PM
I am (however) speaking from experience whereas y'all are merely reacting on an emotional level.
That is funny, comparing your miniscul forum to ***boat. Perhaps your forum just sucked and you don't want to take responsibility for it??? (Typical Liberal). There are several forums that spawned from ***boat. Some made it, some didn't. Some looked like they were taking off, but then crumbled. Some just kept their forum going even though they appeared to have died, but came to life later. If dividing forums did not work, then ***boat would have crumbled long ago.
Just because you failed at it, does not mean it does not work.(Typical Liberal again)

Lake Pirate
08-09-2004, 03:19 PM
Be a dickhead all you want. Doesn't matter to me. I've been posting on forums for six years. I've seen them come and seem them go. Usually arrogance is the main contributor to demise. This place is pretty good because of certain amounts of diversity and the number of posters. Divide and fail...I don't really give a rats ass. I was just trying to help out.

eliminatedsprinter
08-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Be a dickhead all you want. Doesn't matter to me. I've been posting on forums for six years. I've seen them come and seem them go. Usually arrogance is the main contributor to demise. This place is pretty good because of certain amounts of diversity and the number of posters. Divide and fail...I don't really give a rats ass. I was just trying to help out.
See what your bleeding heart got you. ;)