PDA

View Full Version : I really like Ad-aware however ...

FMluvswater
08-09-2004, 12:52 PM
when it finishes the scan and makes that noise if it finds stuff ... I kinda don't like the way that makes me jump out of my skin (I listen to my music kinda loud http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v56/FMluvswaterbabe/eh.gif ). Sometimes I remember to turn off the sound before the scan finishes ... and sometimes http://chatbites.com/iB_htmla/non-cgi/emoticons/nervous.gif ... I forget until it's much much too late. :(
Why does this program not have a disable sound effect feature? :( Oh. Right. Free. K. :(

572Daytona
08-09-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure what version you are running but there is an option to turn of sound in my version 6, click on the gear near the top right of the screen then click on tweak and look under misc settings:

JustMVG
08-09-2004, 01:27 PM
yeah thats happened to me, so now i run it w speakers off and when i have something else to do let it run and scare the wife when it does its "Ta Dah" thing at the end.

FMluvswater
08-09-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure what version you are running but there is an option to turn of sound in my version 6, click on the gear near the top right of the screen then click on tweak and look under misc settings:
THANK-YOU!!!!!!!! :D YOU ROCK! :cool:
I didn't even know about that part of the program. The gear/functions symbols are faded out on mine so I thought they were not clickable cuz I'm running the free version. Now I can keep my skin on at all times. :D :D

FMluvswater
08-09-2004, 02:06 PM
And don't forget to use the update Ad Aware feature to keep your version one step ahead (or behind as the case may be) of the latest virusii.
Yep. I do that at least once a day. :)

FMluvswater
08-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Wow, you're all over it. I'm lucky if I do it once a week, but I run Mozilla Firefox as my primary browser, so I have almost no exposure to virus or spyware. For those of you that are power users, take a look:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
I'm on the computer between 12-15 hours some day, working and writing code, this browser is the fastest and most secure ever.
Thank-you for the link :) I'm trying it for the first time right now. I loved the import feature. That was so quick to transfer all of my Favorites folder from IE to Firefox, wow! I'm impressed already! :cool:

Debbolas
08-09-2004, 03:33 PM
I HATE that sound, it totally scares me each time, even though I am expecting it..... :eek:

FMluvswater
08-09-2004, 03:42 PM
If you can use things like tabbed browsing, developers tools, GMAIL integration (new Google email beta invite only, if you need an invite, send me an email at clubwerks@gmail.com), stuff like that, it's very good. It does not support Active X, so there goes 99.9% of your spyware threat. Be sure to browse through the extension and download the good ones. There's tons of extension that are useful to different people. They also have an excellent email client that integrates called Thunderbird.
I am not familair with much of the terminology you just used ...
tabbed browsing?
GMAIL?
Extensions?
:o :confused: :o
If it's simple to explain please do. If it's complicated .... I'll just use it as is. Thanks for trying to help me improve my browser experince in any case. :)

FMluvswater
08-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Thank-you for taking the time to explain. :cool: It may take me a while to figure out which extensions I would need, but I will figure it out. :)
G-mail = :cool: