PDA

View Full Version : Would you have Boyd build you a car?

Itsahobby
08-10-2004, 06:47 AM
After watching American Hot Rod, would you have a car built at Boyds?
Maybe I am being a bit critical, but seems like there is a lot of hacking
when time gets short. (Junkyard dog)
Or, maybe it is a case of have and have not(Me) :boxed:
Hobby

Scream
08-10-2004, 06:59 AM
I can't stand watching that show. My nephew has worked for him from time to time and says he never sees him in the shop, just walkin around lookin cool and such. For that kind of money you could build you own car and give it the love and attention it deserves.

ColeTR1
08-10-2004, 07:04 AM
No I would build it myself. That’s the only way I would be happy. After watching them try to start a new engine I realized mechanically they don’t know what they are doing. They just have a lot of money behind them.

Misogynist
08-10-2004, 07:07 AM
Boyd Coddington reminds me of a boat rigger out here in Los Angeles..... he's best at beating his drum... but not working himself.... :mad:

SpectraJoel
08-10-2004, 07:29 AM
I'd build it myself

v-drive
08-10-2004, 07:40 AM
Once upon a time boyd coddington was right up there with the best.
Did you ever see a George Barris or Ed Roth car. Same stuff. I've watched that show a few times and that's what it is, a show and if it was perfect people wouldn't watch. I would let him build my car but I would watch and pay close attention to milestones in the building...v-drive :)

jenndon
08-10-2004, 07:45 AM
I built my own! Took 4 years but it's done now :D

Dr. Eagle
08-10-2004, 07:51 AM
I have watched it a few times, seems like his help is somewhat "less than perfect" and they seem to work at cross purposes all the time. I think Boyd Coddington is a lousey team builder and manager... my way or the highway so to speak. Just MHO...

roostwear
08-10-2004, 08:01 AM
What doesn't come across in the show is where Boyd came from. He started in his garage (like most of us didn't?), and branched out from there. He got too big too quick, and let his sizable ego get in the way. He has the skills, but I don't think he ever could adapt to a production atmosphere. It's best he design and stay out of the shop nowadays. My oldest son was on American Hotrod, and is jonesing severely for me to get him into rods. He's already been warned he'll be sweeping a LOT of shop floors! Maybe him meeting Boyd will cure him of it!

Itsahobby
08-10-2004, 08:09 AM
Very cool, was that the Touring VS. Prostreet write up?
Hobby

Chris Winn
08-10-2004, 08:13 AM
i liked him best when he was working with lil john buttera, they turned out some very sick (and clean) harleys and clones (v-twins). i still have a carbon fiber velocity stack for a S&S super e carb that i bought there (the old shop) 7 years ago or so.

superdave013
08-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Looks like you built my dream car. And that's pretty much just how I'd want it to look. Maybe someday.........
Very nice, congrats!

34MagicOnHavasu
08-10-2004, 08:33 AM
my father restores classic cars, and has done some trading with boyd. says he's an interesting guy to deal with, but probably wouldn't do it again.

Dr. Eagle
08-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Looks like you built my dream car. And that's pretty much just how I'd want it to look. Maybe someday.........
Very nice, congrats!
Pretty much my dream car too.... I wanted a 1968 GTO...

superdave013
08-10-2004, 08:46 AM
my father restores classic cars, and has done some trading with boyd. says he's an interesting guy to deal with, but probably wouldn't do it again.
Gee, that's being pretty nice about it. lol
The people that I know that's sold him equipment were not as gental when they told me about dealing with him.

cdog
08-10-2004, 09:06 AM
Nice! .....I've got a 67 camaro and am trying to build a pro touring car out of it. I would've had it done but I decided to buy another boat. The orange looks bitchen

34MagicOnHavasu
08-10-2004, 09:19 AM
hey superdave
i'm the politically correct one in the family.
my dad's words about boyd were quite specific, and i'm sure similar to your understanding of his business dealings.

Floored
08-10-2004, 09:22 AM
to be truly successful surround yourself with talented people. I think ZZTop gave Boyd the recognition and it ballooned from there. I've always built my own and some friends also, its a pride thing. Bye the way, beautiful Camaro :cool:

jenndon
08-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys. It was in the Oct 2002 issue of Super Chevy and in Camaro Performers. The color is House of Kolor Tangelo Pearl. Hard to tell from the pic's. I'll be at the Route 66 show in San Bernardino in Sept. in the K&N booth. If your there stop by and say hi.
Don

coolchange
08-10-2004, 10:01 AM
That show is a sitcom. Would I have him build me a car? BWAAAHAHAHA!
My brother works at a shop that builds vintage racecars with multi millionaire clientele. If it was handled like that they'd be out of business in a week.

Jrocket
08-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys. It was in the Oct 2002 issue of Super Chevy and in Camaro Performers. The color is House of Kolor Tangelo Pearl. Hard to tell from the pic's. I'll be at the Route 66 show in San Bernardino in Sept. in the K&N booth. If your there stop by and say hi.
Don
Don who did the paint and body work?Looks awesome! I have a car that needs to be done.

JetRookie
08-10-2004, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't do any kind of business with Boyd. A couple years ago a business man wanted to start a forged wheel line and approached boyd to manufacture his wheels since he has the capabilities. The deal went smooth until Boyd raised the cost of each set of wheels at the last minute resulting in the business man pulling out b/c the profit would be too minimal. A month later Boyd released his BC Forged line of wheels, which guess what? looked exactly like the styles that where brought to him for the business deal a couple months ago. So he basically con'd the guy and stole his designs.
So back to the subject, I'd do it myself also. His pricing is rediculous and it seems like he has a bunch of dummies working at his shop. I am suprised that the jobs are even completed. Here is my 67 GTO, it was my first car and almost complete(to my standards atleast). Just need a beefy rearend to put the power down to the ground, just don't have the $$$.;)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/SuperbSantorings/fafaaf35.jpg

InKahntrol
08-10-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey Don,
Great Camaro dude... did Andrew Schear shoot it for Super Chevy? Looks like his work...
I used to spend a whole lot of time bouncing around between all the big builder's shops (Coddington, So-Cal, Foose, etc.) and the one thing they all have in common is that projects ALWAYS take longer and cost more than originally predicted. The way I feel about those places is, if you have more money than you know what to do with, and having a stand-out car with a famous name attached to it is important to you, than by all means pay a high-profile builder to create a custom ride for ya. If you just want a clean, good looking car that runs right and will get tons of smiles-per-gallon, build it yourself or contact a reputable local builder. That way you not only get more control over your own project, you also don't have to pay for all the extra overhead costs involved in being a big name builder (big fancy shop, lots of employees, advertising, etc). A friend of mine that used to work for Boyd named Jimmy White has his own small shop in Orange now, and he does some of the most awesome metalwork I've ever seen, and I can guarentee he's easier to deal with and less expensive than The Bearded One.
Anyway, here's a pic of the little hot rod I built in my garage in 6 weeks. Its not perfect, but it sure is fun. Its also for sale if anyone is interested. Too bad the guy in the pic didn't want to buy it...

haulina29
08-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Actually Boyd is very talented and at one time did most of the work himself . Chriss Winn hit it on the head , he and lil were a great team there tall tees and Boyds siver bullet were years ahead ot there time . Anybody who thinks Boyd is a dumb ass is not informed and yes his show does suck , would I have Boyd build a car no way . Pete Chapouris at So Cal is the ticket . :cool:

Scream
08-10-2004, 04:11 PM
funny, that's how long it takes to get one out of Boyd...lol That and a shit load of money.. :rolleyes:

Jrocket
08-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Pete Chapouris at So Cal is the ticket . :cool:
Do you know him personally?I have no idea of who he is.Does he do great work?

Jrocket
08-10-2004, 04:19 PM
A friend of mine that used to work for Boyd named Jimmy White has his own small shop in Orange now, and he does some of the most awesome metalwork I've ever seen, and I can guarentee he's easier to deal with and less expensive than The Bearded One.
Do you have a number for Jimmy White,I might have some work for him?

jbtrailerjim
08-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Even if I had the kind of coin to have Boyd build a car for me, I'd save some money and go buy one thats already done. To pay and have a streetrod built from scratch. You will have a lot more money tied up in it, than if you just buy one that is already completed. Not counting the headaches that go with having a car built. Anyone think dealing with boat builder's is bad. Try dealing with streetrod builders. :rolleyes:

jbtrailerjim
08-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I have a car that needs to be done.
Try Jerry Sievers at the Paint N Place in Orange.(714)630-6326 He did all the paint and body work on my dad's 41 Ford street rod. It came out awesome. He's done a few other of my dad's street roddin buddies cars also. Super cool guy. He's well known in the drag racing seen. He paints a lot of the NHRA top fuel cars for several different teams.

Jrocket
08-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Try Jerry Sievers at the Paint N Place in Orange.(714)630-6326 He did all the paint and body work on my dad's 41 Ford street rod. It came out awesome. He's done a few other of my dad's street roddin buddies cars also. Super cool guy. He's well known in the drag racing seen. He paints a lot of the NHRA top fuel cars for several different teams.
Can he do body work on old cars.It might need quarter panels and all.

ahhell
08-10-2004, 05:12 PM
its more fun to do it yourself. I barely know what im doing but if you get out there and just pay attention you can do it ( and if you cant, there is always someone who can...for a price)
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1518donesorta-med.jpg

V-DRIVES RULE
08-10-2004, 05:45 PM
The show ia lame but BOYD has built the sickest rods ever created hes won OAKLAND more than anybody! the crew he had in stanton were the best in the buiss. design chip and boyd,metal marcel's,chass'is and fab and assembly the swedes,paint kieth and greg boydster 1&2 ,smoothster, zz caddy, boydair,genuine, eldorod, mike anthony's car and so on he put high dig$ cars on the map he's one of the best designers ever on the cover of smithsonian mag i would buy a boyd car if i had the money there just sick!!!

haulina29
08-10-2004, 07:19 PM
VDR nos whats up he also built a shoe box for Nick Barron that is slick. Jamie Musselmans stuff was nice so was Vern Luces coupe . Mike Anthonys roadster is awsome the problem with most of the Boyd stuff that comes up for sale is its out dated . Excluding stuff like the Boydsters and Mikes roadster etc. Mike also has a B400 that boyd built and a 40 coupe . :cool:

Duck
08-10-2004, 08:04 PM
My recent ex-neighbor worked for him and was hurt by the bankrupcy as well as a machine shop foreman I met who said he lost over $200K in retirement. Boyd talks him into helping get the new venture going then lets him go again.
The dudes a tool. I drive by his shop every day on the way to work and pass the "slow learner" walking to the shop (he gets cameos!)

jbtrailerjim
08-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Can he do body work on old cars.It might need quarter panels and all.
Absolutely. My dad's 41 is a total custom smoothie. Jerry molded all the fenders, shaved everything, welded and filled the seam on the hood. He did an absolute bitchen job on the whole car. His car was in the Grand National Roadster Show (formerly the Oakland Roadster Show now in Pomona) this spring and he won his class. It is pretty prestigious just to be in that show let alone to win your class. If you ever want to check it out let me know. I think I mentioned to you my dad lives right up the street from you in Woodcrest off of Porter St.

playdeep
08-10-2004, 09:09 PM
I have always heard that Boyd's stuff have to be trailer queens...they don't make very good drivers.
I see the stuff Chip Foose turns out and it blows me away...and he builds his cars to be driven.
The whole "billett proof",rat rod craze started as a backlash against Boyd style Hot Rods...that #7 lakes style rod in an above post is a perfect example(IMO)of a true HOT ROD,that thing is perfect.
If I am not mistaken dosn't Paintin' Place do all of John Force's funny cars?

jbtrailerjim
08-10-2004, 09:23 PM
I have always heard that Boyd's stuff have to be trailer queens...they don't make very good drivers.
I see the stuff Chip Foose turns out and it blows me away...and he builds his cars to be driven.
The whole "billett proof",rat rod craze started as a backlash against Boyd style Hot Rods...that #7 lakes style rod in an above post is a perfect example(IMO)of a true HOT ROD,that thing is perfect.
If I am not mistaken dosn't Paintin' Place do all of John Force's funny cars?
I think the high tech trailer queen street rods are kind of a waste. If I had a street rod it would have to be driver. I give my dad a hard time when he trailers his car to a show. But I do understand. He put a lot of time and money in it and it would suck to tear something up on it. He does drive it quite a bit though to a lot of shows around So Cal.
Yes, Paint N Place does paint John Forces funny cars. Him and Jerry have been friends for years.

jenndon
08-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Don who did the paint and body work?Looks awesome! I have a car that needs to be done.
It was painted by Starbucks Customs in Riverside on Sampson next to the shooting range. The cars there now if you want to see their work. 951-735-6053 ask for Sherri or Justin tell them Donald sent you

InKahntrol
08-11-2004, 07:07 AM
Do you have a number for Jimmy White,I might have some work for him?
Here's his info... tell him Dan Kahn sent ya. He's a great guy and super easy to work with. Before he started his shop and began building high class hot rods, he used to be in The Shifters, and has a wicked hemi powered Model A. Below is a link to some awesome video of the car.
http://www.chello.nl/%7Eb.vos/videos/jimmywhite.wmv
Jimmy White
Circle City Hot Rods
2199 N Batavia St,
Orange, CA
(714) 279-0400

V-DRIVES RULE
08-11-2004, 07:22 AM
boyds cars were not trailer queens he drove them on the power tour cadzilla and others. i remember JESSE in the back making harley parts its a tough buiss. still his rods were the nicest still today!

Jrocket
08-11-2004, 07:30 AM
Here's his info... tell him Dan Kahn sent ya. He's a great guy and super easy to work with. Before he started his shop and began building high class hot rods, he used to be in The Shifters, and has a wicked hemi powered Model A. Below is a link to some awesome video of the car.
Jimmy White
Circle City Hot Rods
2199 N Batavia St,
Orange, CA
(714) 279-0400
Thanks for the info.Just got off the phone with Jimmy.He doesnt do any paint or body work.....cool guy to talk to about cars though.He might be doing some metal fab work on the car for me in the future.

superdave013
08-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Jimmy White
Circle City Hot Rods
2199 N Batavia St,
Orange, CA
(714) 279-0400
Now that's bad ass!!

cdog
08-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Damm, I miss that sound.
My project, i've had for 11 years. At one time it was a 12 second car with a long rod 327 and a built 700r4. This was back in 94-95 when that was a big deal. She was completely torn down in 96 and has'nt run since. I've got new quarters,doors and sheet metal. I would of had it done by now but I bought a new boat. Plans are to build it pro-touring style. Looking for a high 10 second quarter mile and a top speed of 165mph. Probably gonna run a stroked Ls6 FI smallblock and a T56 Six speed. A wayne due front subframe and the rear will be a truck arm set up or detroit speed triangluated four link. Bear breaks on all corners and some nice big wheels.
You never respect your project as much when you don't do the work yourself. Some things you have to out sourse. But if you can't work on it and fix the problems you should'nt own a hot rod.

jenndon
08-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Damm, I miss that sound.
My project, i've had for 11 years. At one time it was a 12 second car with a long rod 327 and a built 700r4. This was back in 94-95 when that was a big deal. She was completely torn down in 96 and has'nt run since. I've got new quarters,doors and sheet metal. I would of had it done by now but I bought a new boat. Plans are to build it pro-touring style. Looking for a high 10 second quarter mile and a top speed of 165mph. Probably gonna run a stroked Ls6 FI smallblock and a T56 Six speed. A wayne due front subframe and the rear will be a truck arm set up or detroit speed triangluated four link. Bear breaks on all corners and some nice big wheels.
You never respect your project as much when you don't do the work yourself. Some things you have to out sourse. But if you can't work on it and fix the problems you should'nt own a hot rod.
CDOG, do you have your wheels yet? I ordered new ones for mine. I have a set of 18x8 & 18x10 American TT 2 i'm looking for a new home for.

cdog
08-11-2004, 10:11 AM
CDOG, do you have your wheels yet? I ordered new ones for mine. I have a set of 18x8 & 18x10 American TT 2 i'm looking for a new home for.
I wish I could. But right now I'm still working out the details on my new boat.
My wife would KILL me if I strayed from the boat. Thanks for the offer.

BADBLOWN572
08-11-2004, 10:23 AM
I have been around Boyd quite a few times and he is a very personable guy. Always takes time to answer any questions and never has had the "attitude" that quite a few people have. Additionally, Chip Foose lives up the street from my parents and the work that he does is absolutely amazing. The Overhaulin show does not even begin to show off his talents. Some of the older street rods that I have seen will just blow your mind. I guess that is why his cars have won so many awards.

eliminatedsprinter
08-11-2004, 12:52 PM
I like those shows, but if I ever get the funds to get a full on custom anything, I think the last place I'll look is the shop that's on TV. All that exposure is bound to increase demand and their prices are sure to go up and quality is likely to drop off.