PDA

View Full Version : Securing your boat

1978 Rogers
08-11-2004, 11:04 AM
I've read a few post about people getting their boats stolen. How do some of you secure your boat (trailer) to keep it from being stolen?
I have mine in my backyard with the gate locked. I have one of those Gorilla locks on the front of the trailer hitch. I also have a lock on the lever that that grabs the ball. I figure that should slow them down a little. Our neighbors to keep an eye out too. They know to call the cops if some other vehicle is try to pull my boat out of the yard.

Stupid Fast
08-11-2004, 11:15 AM
I keep mine at a horse farm. If they can get back to the place that it is and then get it out after cutting the locks and moving the equiptment blocking it in, then getit off the property, then there is a 99% chance that the thief is someone I know. I do worry when I stay the night at hotels, I ususally bring in the prop and try to block it in with the tow vehical, but you can not always do that.....

Froggystyle
08-11-2004, 11:29 AM
I secured mine with insurance. I used a hitch lock for "dissuasion" purposes, but for the most part you aren't stopping a thief.
At home, it stayed in my garage. I usually have it on the water when on vacation, so trailers aren't much of a big deal either. I do worry about the trailer getting ripped off though, so I usually masterlocked the safety chains to the hitch as a final means if it was still attached to the truck.
Only so much you can do. Then, it is gone anyway. It is just one way it will damage more on the way out.

teeitup
08-11-2004, 11:40 AM
Here is a link to the best locking device I've seen at an affordable price. I bought one from this site and they were helpful and quick.
http://www.trailerlock.com/index.html

Lightning
08-11-2004, 11:59 AM
All locks do is keep honest people honest. I also secure mine with insurance. Then again, if someone will go through the trouble of moving the golf cart parked and pad locked to it, break the pad lock on the tongue, deal with pulling it out of the tight spot it's in, and then make it out of the park - take it and destroy it - I probably would not want it back anyhow.

1978 Rogers
08-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I have mine insured also. You never know.

eliminatedsprinter
08-11-2004, 12:16 PM
I have always felt good insurance is by far the best anti-theft device.

lucky
08-11-2004, 12:17 PM
then they think somthing is wrong and they won't touch it :) lol I made a hitch cover/lock with 1/8 4x4 box tubing - it will take them a little while - but if they want it they willllll get it -
what happend last year with all the boat theives in la - there was like- one i remember being pulled right from a dealer ( customer boat ) and the kid who worked there seen it going down the road ???? had some big mottas' and crap ????

Havasu_Dreamin
08-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Keep it in the garage that is alarmed.

welk2party
08-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Tongue lock and chain through the wheels and trailer frame. I ususally set the trailer brakes for the not so bright as well. If someone wants to go through all that then I guess they can have it. Definately not a quick grab and go.

Red Eye
08-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of a tongue lock so I can get an idea?

superdave013
08-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Keep it in the garage that is alarmed.
ditto!!!!!

Big_Gunz_
08-11-2004, 12:46 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1822Tounge_Locks.jpg
I use these, both on the receiver and the trailer, plus a very thick chain around and through the wheels.

1978 Rogers
08-11-2004, 12:55 PM
I have one of these on the front of the hitch, item 5203. I think it would be a pain in the ass to cut off.
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/products/ta_couplers_locks.shtml

eliminatedsprinter
08-11-2004, 12:57 PM
I just keep mine broken and in the shop all the time. ;)

HalletDave
08-11-2004, 12:58 PM
I have always felt good insurance is by far the best anti-theft device.
Steve,
:idea: Riddle me this. How does insurance prevent a boat from being stolen? :D

1978 Rogers
08-11-2004, 12:58 PM
If your using chain. I hope it is made for heavy weight. The cheap stuff from the local hardware store can be cut easier with a good pair of bolt cutters. You want the harder steal stuff.

RandyH
08-11-2004, 01:01 PM
When on the road I use this and a car alarm built into the boat with a remote on/off fob. If you walk near the boat it starts to chirp. Get any closer and its a pretty disturbing. :D
http://store4.yimg.com/I/bartswatersports_1792_4137827
RandyH

Kachina26
08-11-2004, 01:06 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1822Tounge_Locks.jpg
I use these, both on the receiver and the trailer, plus a very thick chain around and through the wheels.
I got down to the river one time and realized I had forgotten my key, I broke that lock with a large pair of channel locks. Not too reassuring.

Froggystyle
08-11-2004, 01:11 PM
I got down to the river one time and realized I had forgotten my key, I broke that lock with a large pair of channel locks. Not too reassuring.
You aint kidding. I vaporized a masterlock with one hit with a wrench once when I forgot the key.
Insurance doesn't prevent theft. It prevents undue loss. You can only be so carefull. After that, you are in the hands of criminals.
If I thought that my boat's safety was in the hands of whatever anti-theft devices I had put on or in the boat... I would inevitably sleep on it. There is no way to be careful enough. Locks break, chains are easily cut, trailers are dragged. Insurance is for if someone wants your boat bad enough to have some brains about stealing it.
BTW, if you are going to "chain" your boat... use a cable. Soooooooo much tougher to cut. Bolt cutters ($59 at Harbor Freight) can cut any chain in about a 1/4 second. No bolt cutter in the world can cut a cable in one shot.
Just a thought.

Big_Gunz_
08-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Your right about it not being too reassuring, what can you expect from a $20 lock. The way I see it, if a thief is looking for a easy grab and run, they're going to look somewhere else when they see any type of locking/anti-theft device that's installed. Nothing is 100%, we can only do what we can to make it harder and not so tempting.
Plus, if a thief really wants my cheap boat, they can have it. lol

billet racing
08-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Keep it locked up in the garage. they would have to get by the cars in the driveway also, unless they took one of them to tow the boat.
I worry when on the road. Try to back into a spot, or park right up front, pay the clerk or security guard a good tip to watch it. Larger hotels have some security. Showing up at midnight with burgers, buys a whole lot of security. Be freindly with them. I sleep better.
On the truck, I take fuses out. Don't know of any theifs who carry around extra fuses and relays.

fourspeednup
08-11-2004, 01:55 PM
This winter when the sanger is resting in my garage the wheels will be off the trailer. The garage door opener disconnected, and the door locked from the inside. Thief would have to get in through the house, then find the wheels and the jack, raise the trailer, bolt them on, lower the trailer, cut the lock on the door, open door manually, cut through trailer lock, etc.........Fock it, if they made it that far they can have the damn thing :cry:
<---four(((subscribes to soldier of fortune mag)))speed :D

Lightning
08-11-2004, 01:57 PM
I forgot the trailer lock key the last time I was out there. All it took to get the lock off was a 3/8" ratchet extension wedged in the lock and a swift hit with the mag lite and I was home free.

572Daytona
08-11-2004, 01:58 PM
I live in redneck Georgia where pretty much everyone owns guns. Theft is pretty low around where I live.

Ziggy
08-11-2004, 02:22 PM
BTW, if you are going to "chain" your boat... use a cable. Soooooooo much tougher to cut. Bolt cutters ($59 at Harbor Freight) can cut any chain in about a 1/4 second. No bolt cutter in the world can cut a cable in one shot.
Just a thought.
Thats what I thought too, cable harder to cut.....until my jet shifter cable was jambed under the oil pan and the easiest was to cut it. I did it with hand cable cutters(plyer sized) in one quick squeaze... :jawdrop:

roostwear
08-11-2004, 02:29 PM
Removable trailer tongue! When it's on the truck, it's only 2 padlocks away from a new owner. I don't have the most desirable boat out there, so I don't worry about it.

eliminatedsprinter
08-11-2004, 02:38 PM
Steve,
:idea: Riddle me this. How does insurance prevent a boat from being stolen? :D
I'm not sure, magic I think. All I know is, with the luck I've had boating this year, if I let mine lapse it will get stolen for sure. :idea: ;)

Scream
08-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm not sure, magic I think. All I know is, with the luck I've had boating this year, if I let mine lapse it will get stolen for sure. :idea: ;)
Damn, don't you know it. I use a trailer tounge lock only. On the truck, off the truck, I keep it locked up. Just a deterant to slow the bastards down anyway.

Delta Jets
08-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Amen to gun control we use it here in the delta seems to have an effect on the crooks when getting shot over rules jail time

hava life
08-11-2004, 03:09 PM
I keep it on the side of the house with a cable lock through the 2 tires and the frame. Only bad thing is I forgot to undo one time and left a nice skid mark on the driveway. I also have insurance for replacement but that will not cover a new boat cost, stereo, and the lost boating time.

HM
08-11-2004, 03:29 PM
I keep it on the side of the house with a cable lock through the 2 tires and the frame. Only bad thing is I forgot to undo one time and left a nice skid mark on the driveway. I also have insurance for replacement but that will not cover a new boat cost, stereo, and the lost boating time.
Go "Stated Value" on the boat.

bullseye
08-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I made a stand for my boat trailer , it is made out of 1 1/2 heavy sq tubing w/ 1 1/2 heavy round tubing welded a ball hitch to so that it prevents some one from backing up to it w/ a smaller ball and taking off . it serves a second purpose to take the weight off of the trailer jack.

eliminatedsprinter
08-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Damn, don't you know it. I use a trailer tounge lock only. On the truck, off the truck, I keep it locked up. Just a deterant to slow the bastards down anyway.
I use a trailer lock at all times as well.

Racer277
08-11-2004, 03:48 PM
I made a stand for my boat trailer , it is made out of 1 1/2 heavy sq tubing w/ 1 1/2 heavy round tubing welded a ball hitch to so that it prevents some one from backing up to it w/ a smaller ball and taking off . it serves a second purpose to take the weight off of the trailer jack.
I like the sound of this. Can you provide a pic?
Thanks for the ideas.
R277

Havasu Cig
08-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Hitch lock, Gorilla cables through the wheels, and 4' steel post cemented flush in the ground below the axles with gorilla cables securing the axles to the post. Two more 6' post secured to the ground in front of the boat with larger diameter steel tubing cemented flush into the ground and secured with 4 military grade locks and a locked gate with an alarm.You may be able to take it, but it is going to take you a while.

SoCalHD
08-11-2004, 03:59 PM
I keep the boat in my back yard. The way the houses in my tract were positioned, I have nothing more than a 3ft gate on one side to get to my back yard. So I framed and then cut a custom hole, then installed a roll-up garage door to back my boat thru. But getting the two garage doors open is the easy part, dealing with my 90lb Pit that knows who belongs and who doesn't is another story!! :D

Froggystyle
08-11-2004, 04:06 PM
Thats what I thought too, cable harder to cut.....until my jet shifter cable was jambed under the oil pan and the easiest was to cut it. I did it with hand cable cutters(plyer sized) in one quick squeaze... :jawdrop:
Different kind of cable. The ones on the "Gorilla" cables mentioned are a really, really fine strand cable with about a bazillion strands. Even if you get a good set of cutters, The little strands just bend around the shears.
You need to cut them with a wheel or sit there with a small pair of sharpies and cut them all individually, or in small groups at the best.
In any case, I have tried, and failed to cut one with a pair of bolt cutters. Won't do it. I quasi-trust my bike in my truck to it.

77charger
08-11-2004, 04:35 PM
A quick cheap lock is get an old 2 inch ball cut the threads offs then put it in the tongue then find a lock that locks the latch.

Jrocket
08-11-2004, 05:49 PM
I hang a sign on it that says"Comes with wife".
Havent had a problem ever!