PDA

View Full Version : Hey ***boat - Is this site running slow or??

Rexone
08-11-2004, 11:50 AM
Is it just me or is this website running like a herd of snails since the upgrade. I can't get pages to load anywhere near what I'd call quickly anymore (on dsl). Anyone else experiencing this?

OGShocker
08-11-2004, 11:52 AM
Slow is slow....this is ***boat :argue: :p

Keithb87
08-11-2004, 11:54 AM
I thought it was just me... Someone got on my office comp last night and really messed it up. :burningm:

NorCalCat
08-11-2004, 12:04 PM
I'm on a T-1 and the snails are off. Much slower now. :idea:

Wally_Gator
08-11-2004, 12:05 PM
DS3 connection here and things are slow...

Rexone
08-11-2004, 12:06 PM
Yeah I just check several other websites and they're all running full speed. Definately a ***boat only issue here. Started right after the upgrade. So much for progress. :p
I sent ***boat a PM about it...

lucky
08-11-2004, 12:12 PM
Is it just me or is this website running like a herd of snails since the upgrade. I can't get pages to load anywhere near what I'd call quickly anymore (on dsl). Anyone else experiencing this?
lmao sry i cant help my self --- its as fast as your catalog :eek: :eek: satelight hear !!! aallllll is good

***boat
08-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Yes the site is currently running slow. The reason... Our bandwidth is almost completely maxed out. During peak hours the ***boat forums are pulling a steady 700 to 1300k per second of bandwidth. Last January we were doing 300gb of transfer per month, now we are at a steady 700gb per month of transfer.
The solution is on its way.
1. We are in the process of moving to a 3mb line (two T1 lines), and that will double our bandwidth.
2. Within the next two days a new policy on images and spam in sig lines will be coming out, and we may have to reduce avatar size a little as well. Rough calculations show that the images in sig lines are responsible for up to 2gb of transfer per day by themselves.
3. There might be some changes in the way the image center works. Medium resolution images might go away so there will only be thumbnails and full size images.
-***boat

Froggystyle
08-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Yes the site is currently running slow. The reason... Our bandwidth is almost completely maxed out. During peak hours the ***boat forums are pulling a steady 700 to 1300k per second of bandwidth. Last January we were doing 300gb of transfer per month, now we are at a steady 700gb per month of transfer.
The solution is on its way.
1. We are in the process of moving to a 3mb line (two T1 lines), and that will double our bandwidth.
2. Within the next two days a new policy on images and spam in sig lines will be coming out, and we may have to reduce avatar size a little as well. Rough calculations show that the images in sig lines are responsible for up to 2gb of transfer per day by themselves.
3. There might be some changes in the way the image center works. Medium resolution images might go away so there will only be thumbnails and full size images.
-***boat
Good. Those pics in the sigs make it tough to read the forums anyway IMO. They are nice and all, but I don't know of a single big traffic forum that doesn't have serious controls over the recurring images (avatar and sig lines) with regard to size and format considerations.

***boat
08-11-2004, 02:07 PM
DS3 connection here and things are slow...
...Said the guy with the huge picture of a boat in his sig line.

572Daytona
08-11-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm thinking it's all the green squares in ***boat's reputation...lol. My animated GIF avatar was originally over 600k, so I had to resize it and cut out a lot of frames to make it closer to 100k but that is still pretty large for a typical avatar.

***boat
08-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks for re-sizing the image. If you figure on a slow day there are probably well over 100000 page views that is 600k*100000 from one avatar alone. The added bandwidth will help, but once the site speeds up again I expect we will see more browsing and more posts so the bandwidth may well get sucked up quickly if some sort of policy regarding graphic size is not implemented soon.

572Daytona
08-11-2004, 02:26 PM
Actually my avatar is hosted with my ISP, so I don't think that would affect ***boat's bandwidth at all, would it?

Rexone
08-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Craig check your PM's :)
Hey and while we have your attention what's up with the rotating smily program on post screen?????????? :confused:

***boat
08-11-2004, 02:57 PM
Actually my avatar is hosted with my ISP, so I don't think that would affect ***boat's bandwidth at all, would it?
No it would not affect our bandwidth if it is hosted on your ISP.

ChumpChange
08-11-2004, 04:34 PM
I was going to reply to this thread much earlier but this is the earliest the page would load(2 hours later). I have cable......slow.

powerplay230
08-11-2004, 05:53 PM
I would have joined in sooner about site being super slow now, using cable modem.. BUT I thought it was some mental mumbo jumbo to make me feel like my slow boat was faster! at least after getting used to this snails pace I should be ready to race a Fountain with triples with my tugboat....!!!!!!!!!
Help Hot Boat Techs and not to fix my boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown: :yuk: :D :o

Debbolas
08-11-2004, 06:56 PM
We have wireless cable something........do you want us to lose the pics in our sig lines? :)

Debbolas
08-11-2004, 07:02 PM
I'd like to point out that as the software evolves and features are added, more is asked of the end user's PC. I'm sure that's not the main thing we're up against but I can sure tell the difference from my oldest laptop to my desktop and both share the same network connection.
What about your LAP top? ;)

***boat
08-11-2004, 07:19 PM
We have wireless cable something........do you want us to lose the pics in our sig lines? :)
I am working on the new policy on sig lines now. I would like to clean up the readability of the site some as well and sig lines do make things a bit harder to read when they are very long or have many images in them.

Debbolas
08-11-2004, 07:43 PM
ok, I lost one of my sig pics :D

JetBoatRich
08-11-2004, 07:47 PM
It was real slow yesterday, but seems fine today :eek: