PDA

View Full Version : I can always look to CA for the absurd

Seadog
08-11-2004, 07:00 PM
It never ceases to amaze me what the environmental nutcases in the California legislature will try to do. I was just reading about how they tried to pass legislation (luckily, it failed) to have locks on all vehicle crankcases and only licensed dealers and mechanics can change the oil. I suppose it would have applied to boats too. Unfortunately they are not alone. If Kerry wins, his wife will probably insist that they weld the drains so that no used oil will be dumped out.

Infomaniac
08-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Crankcase keys for sale here. It will just be a test key so you can test that the oil will actually run out before taking it to the certified mechanic.

fourspeednup
08-11-2004, 07:52 PM
JEEBUS! Sure am glad I can't afford to live here anyhow....back to AZ I go :rolleyes:

Boozer
08-11-2004, 08:11 PM
It never ceases to amaze me what the environmental nutcases in the California legislature will try to do. I was just reading about how they tried to pass legislation (luckily, it failed) to have locks on all vehicle crankcases and only licensed dealers and mechanics can change the oil. I suppose it would have applied to boats too. Unfortunately they are not alone. If Kerry wins, his wife will probably insist that they weld the drains so that no used oil will be dumped out.
That would be fun $75 oil changes.

Ducatista
08-11-2004, 08:28 PM
So true Seadog, as Zappa sang..............
Flakes!!
Flakes!!
They don't do no good
They never be workin'
When they oughta should
They waste your time
They're wastin' mine
California's got the most of them
Boy, they got a host of them
Swear t'God they got the most
At every business on the coast
Swear t'God they got the most
At every business on the coast
They got the
Flakes!!
:p

Dr. Eagle
08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Seadog, that is the perfect example of why we need a part time legislature. They have WAYYYY too much time for this kind of BS brainstorming (brainfarting). If they only had 90 days a year to legislate... they'd have to take care of the big stuff and maybe, maybe some of this stupid "gotta show my district I've been busy in office" lawmaking will fall off the table!

moneypit
08-11-2004, 09:40 PM
I guess this means that you will have to trust who's servicing you vehicle or boat.
What if you have a vehicle that's only used once in a while and you keep it on your property (way out in the middle of nowhere)? Will ya have to trailer it just to have an oil change?

diggler
08-12-2004, 05:36 AM
That would have sucked if it passed. I spend $50 doing it myself (synthetic only). If I took it to a place to have it done, it's easily over $90.

eliminatedsprinter
08-12-2004, 07:47 AM
This is what happens when the left gets power, it is scarry what the Democrats up in Sac propose on an almost daily basis. If our state had a few less Republicians in our legislature we would be a much goofier place than we already are. You should have seen the assinine proposal thay came up with to let minors vote a few months ago.

cdog
08-12-2004, 08:03 AM
The left wing agenda is to take one thing at a time. Eventualy were f'ed. Just look at our gun laws.

Flyinbowtie
08-12-2004, 08:20 AM
What frustrates me is the number of decent hard workin' folks in this state who just are not taking the time to get involved in the political process. By that I mean getting educated about some of these absurd proposals and the people who are responsible for them.
And doing something about it.
The fact that they remain silent and, in many cases don't even vote is the fulcrum by which the powermongering leftest social engineers are slowly but surely destroying the quality of life in and the economy of this state.
Not to mention slowly infiltrating every aspect of our lives with rediculus laws and restrictions.
Pretty soon they'll have us wearing Michelin-Man suits while riding bicycles.

lucky
08-12-2004, 09:14 AM
remove the oil pan once and modofy the mo fo ... :D

Blown 472
08-12-2004, 09:40 AM
What frustrates me is the number of decent hard workin' folks in this state who just are not taking the time to get involved in the political process. By that I mean getting educated about some of these absurd proposals and the people who are responsible for them.
And doing something about it.
The fact that they remain silent and, in many cases don't even vote is the fulcrum by which the powermongering leftest social engineers are slowly but surely destroying the quality of life in and the economy of this state.
Not to mention slowly infiltrating every aspect of our lives with rediculus laws and restrictions.
Pretty soon they'll have us wearing Michelin-Man suits while riding bicycles.
But the wwf is on.

Froggystyle
08-12-2004, 10:02 AM
This is funny to me for a variety of reasons...
First, for a completely different reason I am putting locks on our drain plugs on the Revolution.
But.... in my defense, I have found that people will change their oil on time, but not do all of the other checks that an official factory engine service will require. With the blower, intercooler, injection system, O2 sensors, and everything else we are doing differently with our "stock" motor, we figure that we need to be the ones doing the services no matter what if we intend to warranty this stuff.
So, we aren't going to let the client change their own oil. :( I know... I am a dick, right?
The good news is, the service is free. Think BMW.

eliminatedsprinter
08-12-2004, 10:35 AM
First, for a completely different reason I am putting locks on our drain plugs on the Revolution.
But.... in my defense, I have found that people will change their oil on time, but not do all of the other checks that an official factory engine service will require. With the blower, intercooler, injection system, O2 sensors, and everything else we are doing differently with our "stock" motor, we figure that we need to be the ones doing the services no matter what if we intend to warranty this stuff.
So, we aren't going to let the client change their own oil. :( I know... I am a dick, right?
Of course not. :cool:
It's your right to build them that way if you want, but I bet you don't want the likes of Jackie Goldberg telling you haw to build them...

Seadog
08-12-2004, 10:53 AM
The proposed law points more to the ways extremists deal with a problem. If one person dumps waste oil illegally, the liberal Democrats think that government should control who changes the oil. They are willing to set up a whole beauracracy to prevent it, damn the cost to the consumers.
While it is true that some people are irresponsible about dumping waste products, the problem is not going to be solved that way. Oil now, antifreeze next, and who knows what in the future. Believe it or not, it can be legally interpreted that putting out a fire with city water is polluting. The Clean Water Act can be draconian if someone pushes it hard enough. As an example, if ground water drains to a creek through the soil, it is legal. If there is a pipe that the ground water seeps into on the way to the creek, it is a major violation.
Froggy, if it does not cost me any more to get free oil changes, with the oil of my choice, they can lock away. As soon as the free oil changes end, I want the locks off.

ratso
08-12-2004, 11:04 AM
I already pay to have the oil changed in my vehicle...ain't worth the trouble to do it myself...

Dr. Eagle
08-12-2004, 11:34 AM
I already pay to have the oil changed in my vehicle...ain't worth the trouble to do it myself...
I agree, but the government doesn't need to legislate it....... :argue: :D

Sleek-Jet
08-12-2004, 12:01 PM
Yep, you're a dick. :D LOL
But seriously, what if I live 500 miles away from Trident Marine?? You guys gonna fly out several times a season and change oil/service the boat??

ratso
08-12-2004, 12:14 PM
I agree, but the government doesn't need to legislate it....... :argue: :D
I also agree with you on that point. Just this morning I was paid a visit by the Texas Commission on Enviromental Quality...checking some of the vehicles on my lot to make sure all the emission control devices were on the vehicles. As a dealer I can't sell a vehicle that doesn't have all this in place, or I can be fined up to $25,000 per violation. This is on the burden of the dealer, so if someone trades a vehicle to me that has knowingly removed something, I have the burden and expense to make it right...which is total BS... :yuk: