PDA

View Full Version : Bent Rods

LIQUID ASSETS
04-28-2001, 04:49 PM
Today after a good run early this morning "GLASS BABY". I got home and was flushing the block when a rod startede knocking. I pulled the valve covers and began to inspect the rods. The # 2 Long rod is half mooned "this is the only one that was bent" I have a stock bbc with edelbrock torker and holley 850 double. hei ignition system. My question is what would make this one rod bend and whats the difference in the long ones and the short ones?
Thanks LIQUID

spectras only
04-28-2001, 06:13 PM
Liquid ,sorry to hear about your trouble, it sounds like you had your lifter pumped up.Did you notice the knock right after a hard run? I suggest to you to run to your speedshop and get a set of Rhoads antipumpup lifters.These lifters require zero lash adjustment[no preload a 3/4 turn like regular lifters].The pushrods are different length for intake and for exhaust on chevy's.Fords have equal length for both.You can have different sizes with an adjustable valvetrain for Fords when changing deckheigths.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 28, 2001).]

Jetmugg
04-28-2001, 07:42 PM
Check for a stuck valve. Pushrods generally only bend if something is wrong in the engine. As far as the length of the pushrods, on a BBC, the intake and exhaust pushrods are different lenghts. This is simply due to the geometry of the heads. When you put the new pushrod in, roll the engine over by hand, and try to watch what is going on with the one that was bent. It would also be a good idea to check the compression on that cylinder.
SteveM.

spectras only
04-29-2001, 11:01 AM
Liquid,on SBC sterndrive type boats the valve stems sometimes get rusty close to the cast iron type manifolds , due to small leaks back to the exhaust side. This creates a problem that I even seen broken pushrods due to a stuck valve.On fords,another problem can occur at high rpm,oil delivery to the upper lubrication system,resulting a valve stick in the open position, often brake the valve, or worse braking a cast piston at the wrist pin.The rod then usually cracks the cylinder wall,ouch.!A good idea to make sure to use a high volume pump rather than a high pressure one.My 0.02 cents

INFINITEJJ
04-30-2001, 05:48 AM
I'm sure you would have noticed it, But a broken valve spring can bend a pushrod as well. It happened to me once.