PDA

View Full Version : Roz or stereo peeps HELP

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2004, 02:13 PM
Hey, all the sudden I'm getting engine noise when I have my stereo on while it's running. Never had it before. It gets louder when I turn on my bilge pump, blower, etc. What do you think??? I never had this problem until recently. If I remember right, I ran wires away from eachother to avoid this. Got any idea, before I start tearing it up???
Thanks, HOOTER

Mr. Naudio
08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey, all the sudden I'm getting engine noise when I have my stereo on while it's running. Never had it before. It gets louder when I turn on my bilge pump, blower, etc. What do you think??? I never had this problem until recently. If I remember right, I ran wires away from eachother to avoid this. Got any idea, before I start tearing it up???
Thanks, HOOTER
first thing i would check is the rca,s or ground
Just make sure ground is tight (to bat not motor)
B line a new rca to check or swap if its only comming out of some speakers.
If you are in Havasu CarToyz will diagnose for free
928-680-0203

Jordy
08-13-2004, 02:21 PM
First off I'd check all the grounds. If it never did it before and just started, something has changed. Could be a ground loop problem.

THOR
08-13-2004, 02:24 PM
I had the exact same problem and it was my ground. Start there first.

Havasu Hangin'
08-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Sometimes a weak battery will make your alternator work harder and create more noise.
Otherwise, as noted, I'd check your grounds for corrosion.

ROZ
08-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Make sure all your stereo grounding points are very secure at all ends. If it pursists, make sure your RCA's are in good order... Test with a long set before you pull the old rca's...

Froggystyle
08-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Or, you could check your grounds instead.
That, or the grounds...

HM
08-13-2004, 02:40 PM
I disagree. I think he should check the grounds. :hammerhea

ROZ
08-13-2004, 02:43 PM
No, no ,no,.. You guys have it reversed. The grounds need to be checked :)

79miller
08-13-2004, 02:46 PM
I'm not much of a stereo guy, but I've got a hunch it might be a ground issue. I know everyone has mentioned a bunch of other ideas, but man I really gotta go with the ground concept.
It is Smartass Friday the 13th.... :shift:

HOOTER SLED-
08-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Thanks guys. That's kinda what I was thinking at first. Was gonna try that. I was just trying to make some of you guys feel wanted. :D I just ran this stuff like last season. I used a couple of those Fosgate kits, so I would think those RCAs should be cool. I have my amps grounded to the block. Where else you gonna ground them suckers?? I'm sure 10' of ground wire doesn't help.

1stepcloser
08-13-2004, 02:57 PM
I dont know anything but I heard of a guy with that problem and it turned out it was a poor ground connection.
You might want to check that out first. :idea:

AquaBoogie
08-13-2004, 02:58 PM
And if that doesn't work. Check your ground.

ROZ
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
I have my amps grounded to the block. Where else you gonna ground them suckers?? I'm sure 10' of ground wire doesn't help.
10ft of wire is okay, but you wanna make sure you ground the ground to the ground... :D
Ground it to the battery, not the block.... :cool:

rsoscia
08-13-2004, 03:40 PM
and if that doesn't work try grounding it into the ground then step on it

N2Lake
08-13-2004, 03:43 PM
I nearly fell on the ground, LMAO

ROZ
08-13-2004, 03:50 PM
I nearly fell on the ground, LMAO
Whoa there buddy, you've just introduced a whole other grounding concept.... good contact :D

1stepcloser
08-13-2004, 04:00 PM
My Dad always told me to keep my head out of the clouds and my feet on the ground.
I think I get it now. http://www.***boat.com/forums/images/smilies/00000014.gif

HM
08-13-2004, 04:01 PM
Y'all better cut it out, or y'all be grounded!! :rollside:

HOOTER SLED-
08-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Ground it to the battery, not the block.... :cool:[/QUOTE]
I always heard NOT to ground it to the battery. Battery, yes?????????

Froggystyle
08-16-2004, 10:14 AM
Ground it to the battery, not the block.... :cool:
I always heard NOT to ground it to the battery. Battery, yes?????????[/QUOTE]
Definitely to the battery on a boat. Also to the block though.
Everything that needs a ground at all should be grounded.
All joking aside, the worst damage I did to my old boat was a result of a grounding problem. Within one day of being in Parker, every single piece of polished aluminum on the back of my boat looked like a white afro with corrosion. The correct term for what amounted to electrolysis was "Galvanic Corrosion" and NOTHING will tear your gear up faster. Turns out that the pump wasn't grounded properly, and since that is where the water found a need to ground itself, the minerals in the water just started latching on to anything that wasn't fiberglass. My AN fittings got trashed, stainless bolt heads etc...
Everything metal should be grounded to every battery system. Fuel fills absolutely have to be grounded for safety reasons among others. Stereos, lights, transducers, etc... All need to find engine (battery) ground. Especially if you find a ground loop in your stereo of some sort.
Just FYI...

Evo22
08-16-2004, 10:22 AM
hey,
did anyone tell him to check his grounds? :hammerhea

Keithb87
08-16-2004, 10:37 AM
CHECK YOUR GROUND !!! :D

Tremor Therapy
08-16-2004, 11:45 AM
Whoa there buddy, you've just introduced a whole other grounding concept.... good contact :D
Yes, but do you need to drop your drawers so you make good contact when grounding to the ground? :(

ROZ
08-16-2004, 11:46 AM
I always heard NOT to ground it to the battery. Battery, yes?????????Everything metal should be grounded to every battery system. Fuel fills absolutely have to be grounded for safety reasons among others. Stereos, lights, transducers, etc... All need to find engine (battery) ground. Especially if you find a ground loop in your stereo of some sort.
Just FYI...[/QUOTE]
In my vehicles, I ground amps at the chasis AND at the battery... :smile:

Froggystyle
08-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Everything metal should be grounded to every battery system. Fuel fills absolutely have to be grounded for safety reasons among others. Stereos, lights, transducers, etc... All need to find engine (battery) ground. Especially if you find a ground loop in your stereo of some sort.
Just FYI...
In my vehicles, I ground amps at the chasis AND at the battery... :smile:
That is what I said actually. The quote thing didn't work properly if you look back a couple of posts...