PDA

View Full Version : Here We Go! Another Complaint From A Sensitive Minority.

LASERRAY
08-15-2004, 01:57 PM
No Black Rock Musicians on Miller Cans
Aug 15, 3:31 PM (ET)
By JULIET WILLIAMS
MILWAUKEE (AP) - A Miller Brewing Co. promotion celebrating the "50th Anniversary of Rock 'n' Roll" has Rolling Stone cover shots of Elvis Presley, Blondie and others on eight commemorative beer cans. What's missing is a black artist.
Robert Thompson, a professor of pop culture at Syracuse University, said the absence is "beyond conspicuous" since black artists often are credited with inventing rock 'n' roll.
"It would be like doing a set of cans of six great Impressionist painters and not including any French people on it," he said. "It leaves out an enormous amount."
The brewer and the magazine issued the cans this summer, depicting Elvis Presley, Blondie, Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and Willie Nelson, as well as two guitars.
Gary Armstrong, chief marketing officer for Rolling Stone publisher Wenner Media, said race wasn't a consideration when choosing the artists.
"We didn't even consciously think pro or con, the same way that the only woman on there is Blondie. We just went with the people that we thought were appropriate," he said. "We went through (the covers) and said these people we don't think are appropriate, or wouldn't appeal to Miller drinkers."
Armstrong noted Rolling Stone wasn't around for the birth of rock 'n' roll - it was first published in 1967 - when many formative black artists of the genre emerged. And many artists who appeared on covers balked at being associated with a promotion involving alcohol, he said.
Jimi Hendrix's estate, for instance, is protective of his image, Armstrong said. "Again I think it might have had something to do with the beer."
Miller spokesman Scott Bussen said the company started with a broad wish list.
"I'm sure that our objective was to get as diverse a representation of musical acts as well as diversity," he said, but the company's choices were limited to Rolling Stone covers.
Miller spokeswoman Molly Reilly said other artists were considered, but "these are the artists that gave us approval to use their images on the beer cans."
Six of the initial 10 inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland in 1986 were black, including Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles and Little Richard. The Hall of Fame, which is throwing a summer concert series sponsored by Miller Lite, declined to comment on the cans.
Todd Mesek, the hall of fame's senior marketing director, said "African heritage is critical" to rock's development.
"Arguably all rock and roll came from, or at least was greatly influenced by, African culture," Mesek said. "Rock and roll came from R&B, jazz, folk. All those genres before rock and roll came together to birth rock and roll."
William McKeen, chairman of the University of Florida journalism department and editor of the book "Rock and Roll is Here to Stay," called the list strange.
"I look at rock 'n' roll in racial terms. Rock and roll is black America meeting white America," McKeen said. "It's about the merger of white people's music, country, with black people's music, rural blues.
"I mean, sure, you can argue that Elvis opened the door, but then Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Bo Didley came through," McKeen said.
Armstrong said each of the artists represents developments in rock history. For instance, Willie Nelson represents Americana and rock's roots, while Alice Cooper is "stadium rock and shock."
The artists weren't paid to appear on the cans, although some received perks such as free beer or magazine subscriptions, Armstrong said.
He said he hasn't heard anything negative about the promotion, which is running in conjunction with three Rolling Stone special editions: rock immortals, moments and photos. In its immortals edition, 20 of the 50 rockers are black.
Thompson said everyone has an opinion when it comes to rock, and the cans may have been designed to generate buzz more than anything else.
"My guess is a lot of people will have a lot to say about this list," he said. "Oftentimes that's the point."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why can't these Black people realize that Miller Brewing Company is owned by a South African company that I'm sure is well aligned with the whole Apartheid vibe that's so prevalent down there? They ( the Blacks ) just don't seem to understand that. :D

welk2party
08-15-2004, 02:04 PM
F'em! Do what you want and screw the girley men for being to sensitive about what goes on their beer can. :burningm:

LASERRAY
08-15-2004, 02:08 PM
Some people know how to complain about everything and nothing, all at the same time. :rolleyes:

brianwhiteboy
08-15-2004, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=LASERRAY]No Black Rock Musicians on Miller Cans
That's because they're coming out on cans of Old English :D

LASERRAY
08-15-2004, 02:15 PM
That's because they're coming out on cans of Old English :DLOL! :D
That's F'ed-Up! :D

NashvilleBound
08-15-2004, 02:39 PM
That's because they're coming out on cans of Old English :D
Brian...thats funny chit! With a name like that you should be out where I am....we could get into some trouble...again. :2purples: :2purples:
I added to your rep for it too!

Coach
08-15-2004, 02:59 PM
The will put Chuck Berry, Jimmy Hendricks, Body Count, Living Color and (should I say it) Little Richard on the MGD Cans in February for Black History Month. :D Miller is not discrimating they just know that the brothers don't drink Miller Lite.

twistedpair
08-15-2004, 03:27 PM
So what, you don't see no crackers on Schlitz Malt Liquor, what's the problem?

HighRoller
08-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I'm gonna send an email to Olde English and complain that there are no white people in their commercials.....think anyone will notice?

Bow Tie Omega
08-15-2004, 07:33 PM
We will see if King Cobra puts any pics of white people, like JFK on their cans for black history month, after all, he was the first President to really make an effective stand for civil rights. How stupid can people be, but then again this man making the claim has a degree in "Pop Culture", IMO, that is one of those degrees that .......to be polite is not very difficult to acheive. :confused:

dgie
08-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Damn that means, you know what. Johney Cockrin and Jesse Jackson.....When things do not go their way these guys get involved and start screaming segregation. Thats funny isn't affirmative action segregation also, but they are not standing up against that. I wonder why :idea:

HighRoller
08-15-2004, 07:40 PM
Colt 45 and Old English need to put John Kerry on their bottles. After all, the only way you could vote for him is when you're hungover!

LASERRAY
08-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Colt 45 and Old English need to put John Kerry on their bottles. After all, the only way you could vote for him is when you're hungover!I heard a rumor that the Democrats were going to put Kerry's face on food stamps and Greyhound Bus tickets in order to sway the vote in their favor. :)

HighRoller
08-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Not surprising. They passed out Cigarettes to "potential" homeless voters last time around.

LASERRAY
08-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Not surprising. They passed out Cigarettes to "potential" homeless voters last time around.Well then this years treat must be "Boones Farm". :crossx:

TheLurker
08-15-2004, 10:29 PM
I thought the Dems already cornered the market of Night Train to pass out for the voters they will bus in from skid row.

Charley
08-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Not trying to stir the Pot here, but I do think Jimi Hendrix should have a Can before
Blondie
Alice Cooper
Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Willie Nelson
or ANY GUITAR
not saying that the above list doesn't deserve a can but someone gotta go to make room for JIMI ;)

PlyaPlya22
08-15-2004, 11:08 PM
So what, you don't see no crackers on Schlitz Malt Liquor, what's the problem?
You have to be able to go where it's sold before they'll put your picture on it :jawdrop:

HighRoller
08-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Charley, in an earlier post the Hendrix estate refused Miller's offer. Still strange how the WB TV network can have no white people and the NBA has about .5 white people per team, but whitey is still trying to keep the black man down......

PlyaPlya22
08-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Charley, in an earlier post the Hendrix estate refused Miller's offer. Still strange how the WB TV network can have no white people and the NBA has about .5 white people per team, but whitey is still trying to keep the black man down......
Damn you whitey get your foot of my neck :D

HighRoller
08-16-2004, 12:02 AM
*With foot on Playa 22's neck to hold him down* Alright boy, break time's over..........Don't jus lay there gettin' a suntan...AIN'T GONNA DO YOU NO GOOD NO HOW!!!!" :D