PDA

View Full Version : Stopped at the checkpoint...

RexRathburn
08-16-2004, 02:05 PM
I was stopped at the checkpoint on my way back from Hidden Shores (I8 west) this weekend and the drug sniffing dog starts licking the gas door on my truck. I ask the officer if the dog likes diesel and he says, "no, when is the last time you smoked?". I say never because I don't smoke (anything) and he asked me if any of my friends do and did any of them touch the gas door on the truck. None of my friends do. I say no and he lets me by. I thought that was pretty strange. :idea:
I bought my truck used from a dealership. The truck has been washed a few times since I bought it. Is there any way that the previous owner could have been a pot smoker and the smell is still on the gas door? :confused:

phuggit
08-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Probably not, but the tweeker stealing gas from your truck was.

Keithb87
08-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Not likely. Those dogs are usually trained to sit when they smell drugs. Did you touch the truck after eating a Ham Sandwich?? :2purples:
If the dog was liking your gas cap, he was not likely finding drugs..... :wink:

RexRathburn
08-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Probably not, but the tweeker stealing gas from your truck was.
Ha ha...that was my first thought, but I wasn't low.
Did you touch the truck after eating a Ham Sandwich??
Maybe it was the ham sandwich! :jawdrop: :D

REGUL8R
08-16-2004, 02:32 PM
The previous owner probably stashed his dope there all the time in case he got pulled over.

clownpuncher
08-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Not likely. Those dogs are usually trained to sit when they smell drugs. Did you touch the truck after eating a Ham Sandwich?? :2purples:
If the dog was liking your gas cap, he was not likely finding drugs..... :wink:
For obvious reasons, Explosives detection dogs are always trained in the passive, or sit, alert.
Narcotics dogs are usually trained (99 out of 100 dogs, if not more) with an aggresive alert, meaning a lot of scratching and chewing at the source of the scent.

Dr. Eagle
08-16-2004, 02:33 PM
The previous owner probably stashed his dope there all the time in case he got pulled over.
That or the dreadlocks and bob marley bumper sticker got their attention... :supp:

Ziggy
08-16-2004, 02:35 PM
There are good things the Border Patrol do but sometimes I feel they overstep their boundries or try to intimidate.
One time I was stopped at the SanClemente check when I had an employee with me...The employeee was of American-Indian and Mexican decent. They pulled him out and gave us both the 3rd degree, repeatedly asking the same questions. Duh, same answer guys, I ain't no smuggler :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
After about 20 minutes and proper I.D.'s shown they reluctantly let us go...I felt like shit after that, fuggin felt like I was common criminal and gave me much more sympathy toward what some of those folks endure because of their appearance.
And No, I don't support the drivers license idea. :D

RexRathburn
08-16-2004, 02:36 PM
That or the dreadlocks and bob marley bumper sticker got their attention... :supp:
I do have a Trident Custom Boats sticker on the back!! :eek: :wink:

Dr. Eagle
08-16-2004, 02:38 PM
I do have a Trident Custom Boats sticker on the back!! :eek: :wink:
AHA! We've found the culprit! LOL...... :D

Jeanyus
08-16-2004, 02:38 PM
I have done a lot of construction work on military bases. They would do random searches at the gate. And being a civillian construction worker, they would search me every time. I would have to open the glove box and get out of the truck. Everytime the drug sniffing dog would go striaght for my lunch box on the front seat. They seemed more like food sniffing dogs. At that point the officer would yank the dog out of my truck and let me go on my way.

clownpuncher
08-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Was this Border Patrol? If so, those dogs have a lot to be desired. Not the best in the league. Sure, you hear stories of their dogs making big scores on dope, but, hell, any human can smell 100 kilos of marijuana in the trunk of a car.

RexRathburn
08-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Was this Border Patrol?
Yup, it was the Border Patrol.

EmpirE231
08-16-2004, 02:45 PM
"when was the last time you smoked"
I don't smoke at all, but when cops ask stupid questions like that...it pisses me off. he's already assuming/accusing you of smoking....he just wants to know when the last time was...BS!

clownpuncher
08-16-2004, 02:51 PM
"when was the last time you smoked"
I don't smoke at all, but when cops ask stupid questions like that...it pisses me off. he's already assuming/accusing you of smoking....he just wants to know when the last time was...BS!
Kinda like "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" There is no yes or no answer to that :wink:
Don't take it personal, it's just a method of interrogating.

RexRathburn
08-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Kinda like "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" There is no yes or no answer to that :wink:
Don't take it personal, it's just a method of interrogating.
Ya, I don't take stuff like that personal either. Any type of law enforcement has a hard enough job as it is and I'm clean...they can check me out if they want.

Mrs. Psycho Squid
08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Last year we were coming home from Yuma and at the checkpoint a dog hit on our expedition. The cop asked us if we had a dog in our car... ummm no. So we had to pull over and they let the dog loose in our car. It climbed all over our leather seats. The stupid dog left foot prints everywhere. I was flipping out and told them to get their stinky dog out of my car. That didn't go over too well. :mad: The cops tore everything apart in our car - went through our luggage and everything. Of course they didn't find anything and they left us with a huge mess. Not sure why the dog hit on it ?? We bought the expi brand new and we haven't had a problem since. :confused:

PlyaPlya22
08-16-2004, 04:12 PM
I was stopped at the checkpoint on my way back from Hidden Shores (I8 west) this weekend and the drug sniffing dog starts licking the gas door on my truck. I ask the officer if the dog likes diesel and he says, "no, when is the last time you smoked?". I say never because I don't smoke (anything) and he asked me if any of my friends do and did any of them touch the gas door on the truck. None of my friends do. I say no and he lets me by. I thought that was pretty strange. :idea:
I bought my truck used from a dealership. The truck has been washed a few times since I bought it. Is there any way that the previous owner could have been a pot smoker and the smell is still on the gas door? :confused:
Did you have donuts prior to pumping your gas. You know those dogs can sniff them out for miles :jawdrop:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Was this Border Patrol? If so, those dogs have a lot to be desired. Not the best in the league. Sure, you hear stories of their dogs making big scores on dope, but, hell, any human can smell 100 kilos of marijuana in the trunk of a car.
Aint that the truth.....

Seadog
08-17-2004, 06:38 AM
There are good and bad sniffing dogs as well as good and bad cops. Most of the times a dog does wrong, it is the handler's fault. More than likely, the dog smelled something it could not identify. It would be lik if you were an expert on counterfeiting. Every now and then, you might find a printing glitch/feature that you find interesting, but does not mean the bill is a NJ governor. Dogs are unable to communicate directly, so it is up to the handler to interpret. Actually, it sounds like the handler may have been more tactful than some. After spending every day doing that, it gets repetitious.
As for the new vehicle business, a dog learns that often the perps will try to mask scents with strong smells like fuels and formaldehyde. These scents can be present in new vehicles and dogs don't know new. Again, the handler must read and control the situation. It may have been a mess, but it cleans up.

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 07:11 AM
There are good and bad sniffing dogs as well as good and bad cops.
Oh no! Does a "bad" drug sniffing dog plant a kilo of Coke in your gas cap? Or does he extort a pound of doggy biscuits from you to ignore that bag of weed under your seat? :p

bigd1
08-17-2004, 08:39 AM
Just tell him you shared a blunt with his old lady right after you emptied your chamber into her.

beyondhelpin
08-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Got my upholstery redone on my boat in Tijuana once. When I got up to the crossing they sent me to the area you dont want to go to. I pull in and all the patrol are doing whatever they do there, My 6 year old daughter is crying cause she has to go to the bathroom. We have been in line to cross for over an hour. My wife is trying to calm her down and I am stressing big time from the crying and the fact that I know they are going to tear up my new upholstery in the boat.
I holler hey you at one of the patrols. Mistake. He wheels around and starts steaming towards my truck with a bad attitude. Once he get there he starts to read me the riot act. Well my wife is stressed now and is sorta yelling at my daughter to quit crying and screaming. MY God between the baby and my wife and the patrol and the fact my upholstery is a goner I am at the point of losing it!
The patrol asks what is gong on after a minute. I had been trying to ask where a bathroom is since he got over. So he starts trying to tell my wife and I how to get to the bathroom. Go down this way turn left at the third door on the left go to the second hallway on the right...............and so on. Damn. After spending a couple of minutes trying to give directions to my wife and all the confusion and yelling and crying he get this look on his face like they dont pay me enough for this shit. He looks at me and ask me if I can back my rig out of there. (If anyone has ever been to that area you know it is a double curve on one thin single lane with curbs coming in.) I say yes and it was like I had been to truck driving school. I backed my rig out like an expert and hauled ass out of there!

ROZ
08-17-2004, 09:53 AM
Had to pull into a secondary inspection on the toll road IN Mexico near Ensenada by the Federalies, once... You know, the military guys who surround the truck and trailer with ak47's...... The wife was like :220v: :D

RiverToysJas
08-17-2004, 10:43 AM
If that ever happened to me, I'd just point to my buddy and say, "I don't know, maybe it's the 6 grams of coke he's got up his keester." Sure it would delay the trip a few hours while that probe him, but the story would be well worth the trouble and delay!!! :D
RTJas :D