PDA

View Full Version : 28 cat question

hava life
08-16-2004, 06:15 PM
A friend is looking at a 28 Commander Cat in Corona. I know I could have him do a search (which I did tell him to do) but I doubt he will ask the forum, so I will for him. I've heard that there has been problems with rigging, and that their customer service is not the greatest. I am mainly looking for any additional info regarding their boats that may help him in making a decision when he is ready. He mentioned a 496HO package, and this would be his first boat and he wanted my opinion. He is looking for a "cat" type hull and is limited in his spending. This is where I turn to for input and feedback on these types of questions so I would appreciate any comments and feedback.

KACHINA KEN
08-16-2004, 08:16 PM
He mentioned a 496HO package, and this would be his first boat and he wanted my opinion.
I can say this, I have a 3rd 496 in my boat and it's an 04' boat! They are not a true performance engine so why even get a cat if the engine is crap?
The 496 HO is a production engine that can't hack it, if I had to do it all over again it would be either the Vortec 8100 or a Larry Peto 580. The 580 is a total screamer and the Vortec is way less horsepower but it kicks the shit out of the Merc. Trust me and about 3 other members on this board when I say that if you have any inkling about wanting true performance and you really want the cat to scream then dont go with this engine.

Scream
08-16-2004, 08:48 PM
C'mon Ken, don't mince your words, tell us what you really mean...
:idea:
lol

Phat Matt
08-16-2004, 08:59 PM
First off, most people on this board will tell you not even to think about Commander. That's great and that's their opinion. I have a Commander and love it. And the people their have always treated me well. I had my friend buy that same boat last year (28 cat) and he has been happy with it as well. He went with the 496HO but has since put a Whipple charger on it. He has the open bow and with the stock HO he was running in the low 60's in Havasu. Since the Whipple he pushing 80. The boat feels pretty solid and could handle faster speeds IMO with more HP though. But if your buddy is on a budget, more HP could get expensive.

SoCalOffshore
08-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I think they are in bankrupty. That should be enough said. :rolleyes:

Blown Lavey
08-16-2004, 10:56 PM
I know where your buddy can get a real clean cat with better power for what he will pay at commander, also I would steer clear of them (yes I owned one) did I admit that? :D

OGShocker
08-16-2004, 11:15 PM
Ask ThatJeffGuy while I go get the popcorn.

KACHINA KEN
08-17-2004, 12:13 AM
C'mon Ken, don't mince your words, tell us what you really mean...
:idea:
lol
Yeah Scream, you know how I feel about Merc, crap, it's a classic case of a mega company gone south. just in case their are some newer members who don't know how Merc works it's basically like this, there are a few divisions, the outboards which I'm not sure if they are made in Stillwater OK or not, the I/O division which is in Stillwater and then there is the (Blue Motor) division in Wisconsin which is in reality a whole different company. The Okie folk build consumer grade (not race) engines. though a 496 HO produces 425 horse and would be considered bad ass in a street rod or mounted on a go ped you dont get a whole lot out of it in a vee or a cat for that matter and if i am kicking myself in the ass over any one point it was my power selection. But for my sake, i didn't have much coaching, the whole deal went down rather fast. Don't buy 496 HO's if you want real power, if you want a custom boat and you put one of these in then its kinda like having an 05' Vette with a V6, it's just kinda ****ed. Merc Blue motors, fine, overpriced to hell and back (150 K for 1075HP! Bitch please!) can you say STERLING or PFAFF and I will pocket the other 60K???

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-17-2004, 04:57 PM
I think they are in bankrupty. That should be enough said. :rolleyes:
yeah and so is american airlines and a few more airlines but people still fly them

KACHINA KEN
08-17-2004, 05:15 PM
yeah and so is american airlines and a few more airlines but people still fly them
And Sleek was in Bancruptcy at one time too, time to re organize thats all...

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 05:24 PM
I agree, A 496 in that size boat is way to underpowered.
60 in that size boat is way to slow

KACHINA KEN
08-18-2004, 04:49 PM
I agree, A 496 in that size boat is way to underpowered.
60 in that size boat is way to slow
Yeah it will ride really wet, especially if it was laid up heavy.

KACHINA KEN
08-18-2004, 04:51 PM
And who is making the call on which engines are being pulled out of production??? Sweet Jesus, the 502 was an awesome engine with limitless rebuild options. And poof! gone! to be replaced with the 496 HO. :mad:

Kilrtoy
08-18-2004, 05:01 PM
And who is making the call on which engines are being pulled out of production??? Sweet Jesus, the 502 was an awesome engine with limitless rebuild options. And poof! gone! to be replaced with the 496 HO. :mad:
That blows up when a Blower is added

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-18-2004, 05:28 PM
I think GM did that Merc buys the motors from GM

Phat Matt
08-18-2004, 05:31 PM
Good point. but who would buy a Commander? :rolleyes: :)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
08-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Good point. but who would buy a Commander? :rolleyes: :)
MMMMMMMM let me see must be someone who is smart :jawdrop:

Phat Matt
08-18-2004, 05:38 PM
MMMMMMMM let me see must be someone who is smart :jawdrop:
I concur. :wink:

KACHINA KEN
08-18-2004, 05:43 PM
I think GM did that Merc buys the motors from GM
But I don't know about that SYO, I dont think they are stock long blocks they get from them, yeah GM but I think they are built to a speck, and correct me if I am wrong but the block is the same for the 2? Just a different bore/