PDA

View Full Version : What is the most you feel comfortable paying for a new boat

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 07:20 PM
I know there are alot of variables, but what would you pay in your current situation

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-16-2004, 07:25 PM
screw it.. go for it all or nothin.. LOL!! :D

Ivan Dan
08-16-2004, 07:26 PM
I know there are alot of variables, but what would you pay in your current situation
You only live once man and you can't take your $$ with you when you go. I say go for it.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Ok we already know your idea, I would have to sell my truck, car, bikes and house, PIMP my wife for a while and give at the sperm bank to get your boat :rollside:

CEO
08-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Everyone told me that I was crazy, but after I got it, they all agreed that it was the right decision :)

hot_diggity_dog
08-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Hey Mrs. Vee you need to spread out your Kitty wider.
$15,000 & Under
$15,000 to $40,000
$40,00 to $75,000
$75,000 to $100,00
$100,000 to $150,000
$150,000 to $250,000
$250,000 and up
HDD :cool:

prop check
08-16-2004, 07:30 PM
pay as much as the bank will lend you :D To answer the poll 50k

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey Mrs. Vee you need to spread out your Kitty wider.
$15,000 & Under
$15,000 to $40,000
$40,00 to $75,000
$75,000 to $100,00
$100,000 to $150,000
$150,000 to $250,000
$250,000 and up
HDD :cool:
LOL!! it will only go so wide.. Glenn.. :hammerhea :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D

Todd969
08-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Go for it. If it makes you happy ( and the wife is completely for it ) then do it before she changes her mind.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 07:37 PM
HDD the poll only gave me 4 choices that is why they are like that

Kachina26
08-16-2004, 07:45 PM
Looks like all the ballers are on right now. 65 was pushing my comfort zone, but hey I turn wrenches for a living! If I was making a little more then I would have definately spent a little more. I say spend to the top of your comfort zone.

SpectraJoel
08-16-2004, 07:58 PM
I wouldnt spend the cash on a new boat. Just wouldnt use it enough. Plus, I prefer the old-school daycruisers over just about anything that is being made today. Just my $.02

Scream
08-16-2004, 07:59 PM
I say spend it like you got it. I stole that from my sister, anyway if it takes 60G's to get your groove on, then cool, if it's 100...That there's a nice groove.
:D :D :D

Debbolas
08-16-2004, 08:01 PM
HDD the poll only gave me 4 choices that is why they are like that
When you post a poll, there is an option to add to your poll, up to I think.....10?
Just FYI :clover:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 08:02 PM
When you post a poll, there is an option to add to your poll, up to I think.....10?
Just FYI :clover:
Ok so i am a dumb ass, From now on I will consult with you, That would have been a better poll

Kachina26
08-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Ok so i am a dumb ass, From now on I will consult with you, That would have been a better poll
See there, not just a post *****. She knows how to work that board :lightsabe

voodoomedman
08-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Can't tell ya what I paid. Promised I wouldn't. Although it was a great deal I would have liked to have got it for the first range of numbers though.

Kachina26
08-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Can't tell ya what I paid. Promised I wouldn't. Although it was a great deal I would have liked to have got it for the first range of numbers though.
Well build a profile so we at least know what it is :redface: :confused:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Well build a profile so we at least know what it is :redface: :confused:
Thank you , I too looked

572Daytona
08-16-2004, 08:29 PM
$10K is the most I've paid for a NEW boat, I've paid more for used boats though. I don't really like the hit you take from depreciation and sales tax on new boats

voodoomedman
08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Sorry guys. I just went through and put in all the stuff. Anything else you want to know then you have to ask.

HCS
08-16-2004, 08:46 PM
If you have the cash. Screw it! :D
LOL @ Myself. :messedup:

Debbolas
08-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Just trying to help out.............(you know me! I'm a giver!!) :D
I saw the boat I want this weekend.........40ft, twins,
B E A U T I F U L.......sigh, :clover:

Kachina26
08-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Just trying to help out.............(you know me! I'm a giver!!) :D
I saw the boat I want this weekend.........40ft, twins,
B E A U T I F U L.......sigh, :clover:
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors boat! So saith the Lord.

LASERRAY
08-16-2004, 09:16 PM
I buy as much Hallett as I could for my $$$!!! ;) Extend yourself a little on whatever you buy and then put in more hours at work to pay for it. It's way worth the extra toil. :chi:

Debbolas
08-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors boat! So saith the Lord.
oh, man............it was soooooooooo great!
(sigh)
I really need that boat!! :cool:

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 09:20 PM
The only way I would own a HALLET , is if they gave it to me......

LASERRAY
08-16-2004, 09:21 PM
The only way I would own a HALLET , is if they gave it to me......
What's your beef with Hallett? They make a superior product.

HighRoller
08-16-2004, 09:26 PM
I have a theory that might or might not be acccurate. Does anyone think that the recent popularity of home equity loans has anything to do with the spiraling cost of boats? I've noticed a lot of builders pushing their prices up in to the 60-100K range. I wonder if they have seen a lot of people come in with that kind of price range from a loan like that. It used to be you had one price range from 30-50K and another from 80-120K. Now all the mid sized bowriders and cats are in that same range and a lot more people are spending over 100K on boats. Any opinions?

SpectraJoel
08-16-2004, 09:31 PM
I have a theory that might or might not be acccurate. Does anyone think that the recent popularity of home equity loans has anything to do with the spiraling cost of boats? I've noticed a lot of builders pushing their prices up in to the 60-100K range. I wonder if they have seen a lot of people come in with that kind of price range from a loan like that. It used to be you had one price range from 30-50K and another from 80-120K. Now all the mid sized bowriders and cats are in that same range and a lot more people are spending over 100K on boats. Any opinions?
I think you are dead-on! I am building my boat from an old hull (1979). When I am done I'll have a brand new 32' boat with 2 new 454's , that is built exactly to my specs for less than $50k. There is no way you can buy a new 32 foot anything for less than 150k anymore. It is crazy! Last i heard the 32' Schiadas are going for $250k USED!!!! WTF?
Dont get me wrong, new boats are nice, but the prices are rediculous.

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 09:32 PM
HR, I have agreed with you two times this week and its only MONDAY, YOU ARE ON THE MONEY, I wont mention boat builders names , but some HAVE LOST THEIR MINDS ON THEIR CUSTOMERS EXPENSE.
Hallet, well I dont want to piss people off, But customer service is worse than commander IMO and very good friends exploits with them. Too snuttie for my cheap dollars. Superior , years ago,YES, not today.....

voodoomedman
08-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by HighRoller
They've got us by the balls. We either pay their prices or buy a four winns. Eeewwwww that sent shivers down my spine thinking about it.

LASERRAY
08-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Hallet, well I dont want to piss people off, But customer service is worse than commander IMO and very good friends exploits with them. Too snuttie for my cheap dollars. Superior , years ago,YES, not today.....Snootie, bad attitude, snobs? Yes all of the above! Superior still? Well that's of personal opionion I guess. I still put them on the same level as Schiada, Howard and DCB. But then again, I have a Hard-on for Halletts. :cool:

Dr. Eagle
08-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Pinkey to mouth...
One Billion Dollars... :2purples:

JustMVG
08-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Then i say noone buy a boat from any of the mfrs. for say 2 yrs, buy used til then, then see what the market is like and we'll see what changes will have been made in customer service, if you did with out a new boat up till now whats a couple of years, oh and noone is allowed to go to the boat shows either, like taking new AAers to a bar, or Tyrone Biggums down the Street.
My bet noone will give a rats ass about my idea. and i'd prolly be right :D :D :idea: M what was my point anway VG

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 10:16 PM
No doubt on the quality, but WHEN I SPEND 40K to WHATEVER leave your attitude at the door and kiss my ass, IM THE CUSTOMER. THEY WILL NEVER GET A DOLLAR FROM ME.

HighRoller
08-16-2004, 10:21 PM
40K used to get you a nice boat. Now, it gets you a medium nice used rig! I have given up on buying "new" for my next boat. Luckily the used boat market has not followed the new market to the same degree. Must be harder to get a loan for a used boat.

Roxysnow
08-16-2004, 10:27 PM
definitely going used is the way to go! I just picked up a 2003 30' Sleekcraft this weekend at an amazing price. Just takes time to find the right deal! :smile:

LASERRAY
08-16-2004, 10:35 PM
No doubt on the quality, but WHEN I SPEND 40K to WHATEVER leave your attitude at the door and kiss my ass, IM THE CUSTOMER. THEY WILL NEVER GET A DOLLAR FROM ME.Well, in your defense Miguel, I know Current Hallett owners that have said the same thing. But, I'd still buy one regardless. Now, where's my piggybank......................................... ......

JustMVG
08-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Your piggy bank is in your home go for the HELOC you'll be happy you did, low int. rates depending on your credit score of course and if you can get it done thru a credit union all the better, thats how i'm putting my new pool in. And if your gonna do it, best do it now 'cause the int. rate is going to be going up a 1/4 point at a time until after the elections and then it's going to depend on who makes it into office. Didn't want to polisize this thread sorry!!!
Bad Mike bad. MVG

HighRoller
08-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Save your beer cans Ray!

Kilrtoy
08-16-2004, 10:43 PM
My buddys 1990 21', that he bought brand new, is still going strong and looks great not one single problem, BUT HE HATES HALLET the company, not the boat.......

LASERRAY
08-16-2004, 10:47 PM
My buddys 1990 21', that he bought brand new, is still going strong and looks great not one single problem, BUT HE HATES HALLET the company, not the boat.......My buddy Rick has a 1992 Hallet 210 that is Immaculate. And yet he was shunned at the Hallet regatta, only because he is a second-hand owner. He hates the arrogance of the company also. But he said he'd never own anything else. That's a pretty strong argument for the quality of Hallett boats IMO.

HighRoller
08-16-2004, 11:41 PM
MVG, I am not a homeowner but I have done a hell of a lot of research on home loans. I totally disagree with home equity loans for depreciating assets, but am in favor of using your equity for adding value to your home. (Spa, additions, etc...) IMO, if you take the equity from your house to buy a boat, in two years when the boat has depreciated 20% and the housing market bombs you will be upside down. Not good. But then again, I operate from a different philosophy. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it unless it's a house.

JustMVG
08-17-2004, 12:06 AM
HR i totally agree with you, i meant it in jest , i am sure hoping it was taken that way, i could've this year gotten tha boat of my dreams but why should i put my house up for a boat, the pool and spa and BBq setup that we have planned will do us just fine, i have a ten yr old Ultra which i am very happy with, if and when the time comes i'll have saved up enough for a new Ultra or Shockwave, we'll decide then , but who know where we'll all be depending on certain situations, to be decided later this year. Some think it isn't all that but the realization is that it will play a factor in some of our friends here and at home in their very lives. You dead on on the depreciation of a boat, but the same is going to hold tru to somewhat lesser extent on the purchase of anything you buy, if anything i'd take advantage of the low interest rates being offered for HELOCS, for home improvements and the like if putting a 29 or 30 ft cat in your back yard is an udgrade who the hell am i to judge. and if you have a live aboard you get yourself a second home yeeeha tax write of city....... right MVG
MVG

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 12:55 AM
I took your comment exactly how you meant it. I know some people who took out a second on the house with the INTENT of adding on. Instead they bought some ATV's and a boat. I'm not one to pass judgment either, but these are the same people who will complain about the economy the next time we have a recession because they have no cash and no equity. I believe that CASH IS KING and the paid off home mortgage is better than a new BMW in the driveway.
My goal is to put at least 50% down on my first home and finance it for 15 years max. Maybe 10. My business adventure taught me that DEBT SUCKS! It sucks the life out of your paycheck. It sucks you into a never ending cycle of monthly payments. But I guess Debt is the way we live as a society since now we have INTEREST ONLY MORTGAGES!!!!!!!!!!! How dumb do you have to be to get one of these pieces of crap? Pay on my house until I die? No thanks Mr. scam lender.......

JustMVG
08-17-2004, 01:38 AM
Too many people have bought over their heads because of the low or no interest loans that have been made available, if the interest rates go up and theyare inching up a 1/4 point at a time but inching up, a year or two from now when your payment is now about a hundred dollars more then you alloted for beware of the REFI guys, your house has doubled in price since you bought it, why not borrow what its worth, so now thry've got you borrowing 200k more than you owed in the first place, you right back where you were, owing more than you could possibly afford, why not buy a toy or two hell make it three, boats quads RV's all over our neighborhood it's crazy, i bought my RV cash, i saved up for it, same with my boat some years ago.
I just wish the lenders were more up front about what you're getting into thats all. MVG

NashvilleBound
08-17-2004, 04:03 AM
pay as much as the bank will lend you :D To answer the poll 50k
I didn't know you could get a loan on a boat? :idea:
Now I'm concerned with all this negativity about Hallet. I am considering their new 28ft deck boat. If they suck as a company I will have nothing to do with them, regardless if they are making what I am after.
What am I comfortable paying for a boat? $150k....tho I'm a cheep bastard (JR you just stay outta this one:) )and would love to pay $50 for it.

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 04:27 AM
MVG, I hear ya'! The commercials around here are crazy! They say they will loan you up to 125% of your home's value!!!!!!!!!! Or get you the "smart choice" interest only loan. Smart for them because they know the extra money you have every month won't go towards principal. Most people will buy a new car or blow the money. It's like debt consolidation loans. A lot of people take out a second on their house to pay off credit cards. STUPID! 70% of the people end up charging up the cards again! Debt companies know this and will do anything to get your equity in their hands. That's why it's called debt CON-solidation.
You "saved up" for your toys. Good for you. "Saving" is a bad word today. People want things, and they want them NOW! They can't deal with having a less expensive car than the next door neighbor. "Negative equity" is a common syndrome in most families when it comes to cars these days. Depreciation is a bitch and results in NE! Trade in a few new cars for newer cars and suddenly you have 5 or 10K NE! I'm not immune. My fiance's truck is upside down but at the end of the year the NE will be gone and so will the truck. I wish more people would realize how bad debt is...........

FunOnTheWater
08-17-2004, 04:30 AM
Comfortable and afford is two different things for me :hammerhea

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 04:42 AM
Good point. I think "afford" is the word everyone needs to look at. Just because a lender will give you the money, can you afford the payments? I think more than 25% of your income is too much for a house payment but the lenders say up to 40% is OK. Result? A big house payment with no "breathing room". And lenders will smooth you into a big house using a 5-1 A.R.M. at a low rate. Why would you get an adjustable mortgage at the lowest rates in 40 years? There's only one direction the loan will adjust. DUH...I don't even own a home and I could dodge that train wreck from a mile away. COMMON SENSE, not emotion should dictate your home buying decision.
I hear all the time about people in SoCal who get caught up in a bidding war and overstep their boundaries because they might "lose" the house. Again, I'm no expert but I know better than to get caught up in a bidding war past my financial means because two agents who probably have lunch together are pitting two buyers against each other. They probably have rehearsed the whole bidding scenario and drama! :idea:

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2004, 05:16 AM
I bought what I knew I could comfortably afford. I had two other boats in mind that I really thought hard about but they would have me put on the borderline of not being so comfortable with the payment. In the end I just could not justify to myself the extra money. So, that's why I bought what I did.

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2004, 05:26 AM
How about asking..."what percentage of your yearly income are you comfortable spending on a boat?"
It's all about priorities...

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 06:17 AM
How about asking..."what percentage of your yearly income are you comfortable spending on a boat?"
It's all about priorities...
Exactly. Priorities have been turned upside down lately. For example, I've found two formulas I like to keep me in line. The value of your financed vehicles should not exceed more than 50% of your yearly income. Also, if you cannot afford the payments on a car over 36 months or less, you cannot afford it PERIOD!

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Exactly. Priorities have been turned upside down lately. For example, I've found two formulas I like to keep me in line. The value of your financed vehicles should not exceed more than 50% of your yearly income. Also, if you cannot afford the payments on a car over 36 months or less, you cannot afford it PERIOD!
Well...your priorities appear to be different than mine.
I'd rather finance the hell out vehicles (0%-2.99%), and stick the unused cash flow into a matched 401K (or the market) that pays off higher than the interest paid on the financed vehicles.
Money is cheap right now- buy low and sell high...I always say.

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 07:04 AM
To each his own HH. Providing you are disciplined and put that money away every month it works. I have just chosen to not have payments because I like the idea of having 2 or 3K a month disposable income. We're switching to the 100% down payment program! :D

Bre
08-17-2004, 07:11 AM
As of right now...... no more than 70K. We don't like having a boat payment. We would not be able to afford to go if we did. Once I have a job.... that will go up of course. We use the boat as a family.... I think Kailey is missing the river more than us right now too...she keeps on saying.... " Daddy, I want to go fast in the boat." And, " I want to play in the dirt at the sandbar." :p If it is something your whole family enjoys.... and you go often enough to make it worth it... then however much you can afford. If it was something only Andy liked doing... he would most likely have a smaller...cheaper boat. :wink: We go boating form March til December. So for us it is worth every penny :rollside:

Captain Dan
08-17-2004, 08:56 AM
Your annual salary should be a good starting point. :rollside:

Havasu Cig
08-17-2004, 09:04 AM
I think you are exactly right. I have said the same thing wany times. $hit 5 years ago I was standing out with a Mach 26. Now my Top Gun hardly stands out on the lake. The only thing I could come up with is people are pulling $$$$ out of their homes. Not something I would do, but hey their not me.

Havasu Cig
08-17-2004, 09:07 AM
MVG, I am not a homeowner but I have done a hell of a lot of research on home loans. I totally disagree with home equity loans for depreciating assets, but am in favor of using your equity for adding value to your home. (Spa, additions, etc...) IMO, if you take the equity from your house to buy a boat, in two years when the boat has depreciated 20% and the housing market bombs you will be upside down. Not good. But then again, I operate from a different philosophy. If you can't pay cash, you can't afford it unless it's a house.
I agree. You should not use a home equity loan on a depreciating asset.

Roxysnow
08-17-2004, 09:46 AM
I agree. You should not use a home equity loan on a depreciating asset.
Agreed, but if you are looking to add value to your home, add square footage. Any type of cosmetic work doesn't help value as much as you pay!

bohica
08-17-2004, 09:47 AM
We could afford almost any boat out there. What the wife is willing to let me spend is a whole different story. Thank god at least one of us has our priorities in order, or I'd be piss ass poor and be working till the day I die. :D