PDA

View Full Version : PHX ATC- thanks for the 45 minutes of long, slow...

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2004, 08:46 PM
...turns. Yes, I was calling you all kinds of four letter words... :hammerhea

Tom Brown
08-16-2004, 08:49 PM
I seem to be experiencing a homophobia flare up. :confused:

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2004, 08:58 PM
I seem to be experiencing a homophobia flare up. :confused:
Ole HH does not like to be put in a "holding pattern".
Did that sound gay?

PHX ATC
08-16-2004, 09:01 PM
I didn't realize I was so good. :eek: Somebody please tell my wife. :wink:
I suppose you were inbound to PHX and you got the "turn left 10 degrees for spacing," "turn right 10 degrees for spacing," "reduce speed to 250 knots," "turn left 10 degrees for spacing"... ad nauseum.
With this nasty thunderstorm cell out to the NE and E, I imagine (I've played the game a time or two) there were only 3 arrival streams for a while, then down to 2 arrival streams. Not a good situation, especially when we normally have 4.
Our arrival capacity at PHX is 72 aircraft an hour (big boy jets) and 4 lil fellas. That's with the 4 arrival post procedure in full swing and planes being able to see one another, blah, blah, blah. You take away some of that freedom and bang, slam closed goes the door.
I agree, it sucks. Mother Nature at her finest. When you're expecting tons of planes (I've seen the arrival demand be over 100 planes in an hour...remember we can only "accept" 72) and routes get shut off and planes rerouted, it gets ugly in a hurry. We routinely run the system right up to the maximum ability to safely run planes around this country and then freak out, hit the panic button, and have no plan when there's weather. Typical FAA bullshit. It's more complicated than that, but that's a bird's eye overview.
Funny thing is, last Wed, Thu, Fri nights I was so pissed at the way some other facilities didn't have a plan to deal with us on the weather issues, I wrote a nasty 6 page letter to my boss. Those of you who know me, imagine that! I have a telcon with my boss, his boss, and 2 other facilities bosses on Wed afternoon on how it went wrong and what we can do to fix it. I doubt I'll get anywhere, but I will feel better.
Sorry you got the scenic view of PHX or wherever you were flying.
I was safely tucked at home, enjoying the Olympics and my family. :shift:

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Sorry you got the scenic view of PHX or wherever you were flying.
Well...the light show was nice.
I don't know shit about flying, but I do know that we were in two separate holding patterns, before flying right through some very bumpy clouds to finally land.
What made it worse is that before we took off, Sky Harbor made us wait 20 minutes on the ground (due to "traffic").

Sleek-Jet
08-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Well...the light show was nice.
I don't know shit about flying, but I do know that we were in two separate holding patterns, before flying right through some very bumpy clouds to finally land.
What made it worse is that before we took off, Sky Harbor made us wait 20 minutes on the ground (due to "traffic").
So what were you flying in??

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2004, 09:12 PM
So what were you flying in??
America's Worst- 737?

PHX ATC
08-16-2004, 09:13 PM
20 minutes ain't nothing. Friday night, I had planes that were sitting on the taxiway for over 100 minutes. That's embarrassing. Hence, the letter and telcon Wed.
Weather is a killer for ATC and delays.
Hint: if you can at all avoid flying to ORD from anywhere on the west coast, please do so, you will thank me. Every day, yes, every day, they have delays going there. Computer planned delays on the ground due to overscheduling and the lack of airport capacity. Give yourself at least 3 hours to catch another flight from ORD. Of course, that 5 am flight is usually okay to take too. :rolleyes:
Give me a heads up next time you leave...of course, I am not allowed to give a certain plane priority or preference. :cool: :wink:

PHX ATC
08-16-2004, 09:14 PM
America's Worst- 737?
Better than a Regional Jet made by Bombardier.
Yup, same company that makes SeaDoos. You'd a loved that! Smashed in there just knowing that's the same company that makes lake lice!! :D

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Give me a heads up next time you leave...of course, I am not allowed to give a certain plane priority or preference. :cool: :wink:
Now that would be funny...all these years of typing nonsense on these boards would finally translate to something good. :idea:
Better than a Regional Jet made by Bombardier.
Yup, same company that makes SeaDoos. You'd a loved that! Smashed in there just knowing that's the same company that makes lake lice!! :D
But do they flood out of you roll them over the wrong way, too?
:jawdrop:

Kachina26
08-16-2004, 09:21 PM
100 minutes!!!!!! : eek :

Sleek-Jet
08-16-2004, 09:22 PM
America's Worst- 737?
So I guess you were listening in on the headphones to the radio traffic??
I've been stuck on the ground at Scotsdale in a King-Air with balky AC in August before, that's a lot of fun.

Havasu Hangin'
08-16-2004, 09:28 PM
So I guess you were listening in on the headphones to the radio traffic??
They didn't have that. United used to...I always thought it was very cool:
ATC- "United...how much speed you got for me today?"
United- "350 knots"
ATC- "Increase speed to 350 knots and turn..."
I've been stuck on the ground at Scotsdale in a King-Air with balky AC in August before, that's a lot of fun.
That's funny.
I actually got stuck on a Southwest plane (in the heat in Oakland), that pulled up shrt to the gate. The plane was dark, no AC, and they couldn't get a ramp to either door for 15 minutes.
It was not pretty...

Sleek-Jet
08-16-2004, 09:36 PM
That's funny.
I actually got stuck on a Southwest plane (in the heat in Oakland), that pulled up shrt to the gate. The plane was dark, no AC, and they couldn't get a ramp to either door for 15 minutes.
It was not pretty...
That would suck... so close, yet so far.
Oh it happened more than once, 120 degrees outside temp, cooped up in an aluminum tube, with luke warm air blasting out of the overhead vents, "expect release in 15 min..." :2purples:
The other pilot and I would get back to home base and start suggesting (whinning :D ) about no Air Conditioning, I don't know if they ever got it fixed. The company hired another pilot and he didn't want to run a two pilot operation, so that was the end of that.

PHX ATC
08-17-2004, 06:22 AM
Now that would be funny...all these years of typing nonsense on these boards would finally translate to something good. :idea:
But do they flood out of you roll them over the wrong way, too?
:jawdrop:
It's good to be king up there. :cool:
The RJ's are taking over an incredible amount of routes. They are more economical to fly and are approaching the passenger and load capacity of a B737. ATC hates them. They are not as fast as the bigger jets, therefore clog up the airways. Passengers hate them. They are squished in there like sardines. 2 seats, aisle, 1 seat.
I would much rather spend a day at the lake then squished in one of those cans. :220v:

Dr. Eagle
08-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Hey PHX ATC..... I'm flying from Sacramento to Orange County this morning... tell the boys and girls down there not to hang us up, OK? :D

PHX ATC
08-17-2004, 07:22 AM
You're in! :p