PDA

View Full Version : what do you guys think about this ***boater

boatnam2
08-17-2004, 05:45 PM
A buddie i work with goes out with a neighbor(first boat)to do a little wakeboarding at lake perris.he telling me about the trip and i was just shaking my head so i thought i would post a thread about it and maybe he could show the guy what other boaters think of his poor choices and learn from it before he kills someone so be brutal.they head out on a sunday afternoon 10 to 12 people in a 23 yamaha jet boat.my buddie tells the guy to head to the island to drop some people off so they can wakeboard.the guys tell him him wants everyone on the boat first clue he may a little short on his safety skills guys .i guess the water was so rough my buddie was drowning trying to get ready to be pulled up.second clue why would you even try and ski at this time to narly.next clue 3 he tells my buddie a 6 year old wants to try and wakeboard to get in the water with her and in the middle of the lake in afternoon sun help her and if she gets up just float until they get back.hard to believe people can be clueless about dangers around them and a family member may just be the one to pay theultimate price.DEATH!

Havasu Hangin'
08-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Is that really a "***boater"?

Kilrtoy
08-17-2004, 05:50 PM
His first mistake was a the Yamaha jet boat,
The rest sounds pretty damn stupid

Kim Hanson
08-17-2004, 05:54 PM
I stopped after the JetBoat thing :wink: .........( . )( . ).not toooo smart!

charlyox
08-17-2004, 06:03 PM
sounds kinda scary :hammerhea

bigerich
08-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

rsoscia
08-17-2004, 06:33 PM
Lake Paris blows

riverliver
08-17-2004, 06:34 PM
Please never come to the river, If you must keep your boat stay at Lake Perris. :hammerhea

Kachina26
08-17-2004, 06:39 PM
***boater???? Or just plain old Dumb F you see Kay

Havasu_Dreamin
08-17-2004, 06:40 PM
...that guy and his family is an accident waiting to happen. 10-12 people in a 23 ft Yamaha jet boat is way overloaded, I don't give a GD WTF the manufacturer says the boat can hold. Also, I can almost guarantee that he did not have 12 life vests on-board either. As RL said, if you keep your boat, stay away from the river because even though I don't know you, I don't want to read about you being hurt or worse yet, you hurting someone else with your inexperience and ineptitude.

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-17-2004, 07:32 PM
what was this person thinking.. yah thats the problem.. he/she wasn't.. did you actually have 12 vests on board?
did you realize in chop like that a 6 yr old should not be on the water.. if the 6 yr old was to fall did you have room on board to pick the child up?
how could you tell someone to float in the water till you come back for them.. it's bad enough when you have a ski and you are holding it up in the air after falling for people to see you.. thats just plain stupid..
you need to listen to the people telling you what they already know about boating before you kill yourself or someone else..
safety is always first.. always.. always always..
very bad decissions you made.. just be glad no one got hurt that time because you didn't listen.. ;)

SpectraJoel
08-17-2004, 07:41 PM
he will eventually remove himself from the gene pool. Hopefully not before he kills someone else

clownpuncher
08-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Sounds like he needs a buddy to help him out and give a few tips. Bottom line, this guy already has a boat and bad habits to go with it. Who's fault is it? His? I doubt it. He's just another unknowing boat buyer with decent enough credit or enough cash to buy a vehicle which requires NOTHING in the way of classes, certs, license etc. Y'all know this type of things happen a lot more than is ever posted on the boards.
Crumb on the guy all ya want. Fact is he's already cocked and ready to rock, so educate/train him or, turn the other cheek and hope he doesn't get someone hurt. It's easy to assume things and make jokes. I say teach the guy right or at least give him the resources to learn from.

Essex29
08-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Sounds like he needs a buddy to help him out and give a few tips. Bottom line, this guy already has a boat and bad habits to go with it. Who's fault is it? His? I doubt it. He's just another unknowing boat buyer with decent enough credit or enough cash to buy a vehicle which requires NOTHING in the way of classes, certs, license etc. Y'all know this type of things happen a lot more than is ever posted on the boards.
Crumb on the guy all ya want. Fact is he's already cocked and ready to rock, so educate/train him or, turn the other cheek and hope he doesn't get someone hurt. It's easy to assume things and make jokes. I say teach the guy right or at least give him the resources to learn from.
Very nicely said...I was thinking the exact same thing.

boatnam2
08-17-2004, 07:52 PM
I was telling my buddie he needs to pull his head out of his ass and tell the guy what up.If for some reason he is never asked to go again oh well probaly better off anyways.

Kachina26
08-17-2004, 07:56 PM
I've always believed that you can't teach common sense. But hey maybe ya gotta tell some people not to touch the hot stove.

bordsmnj
08-17-2004, 07:58 PM
boatnam's obviously pullin our legs here folks. NOBODY'S that phuckin stupid! or are they? .....and a 23' sea doo? no way. :messedup:

MRS FLYIN VEE
08-17-2004, 07:59 PM
I thought it was the dog on my leg.. :hammerhea :eek: :eek: :2purples:

jbtrailerjim
08-17-2004, 07:59 PM
Yes, this guy does need a lot of educating about boats but it sounds like this guy lack's a little something called common sense. Some of the things your describing most people with no boating skill's should know. He's putting his family and friends in danger with his lack of boating skill's and not having just some basic common sense.

JetBoatRich
08-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Sounds like your "BUDDY' needs new "BUDDIES" to boat with :lightsabe

PlyaPlya22
08-17-2004, 08:12 PM
This guy needs to screw his head on str8. Some people have no regard for others safety.

clownpuncher
08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
I've always believed that you can't teach common sense. But hey maybe ya gotta tell some people not to touch the hot stove.
True. Common sense is born into a person. Some have it, some adapt to a warped facsimile and some will never get it. Been a fireman for over 20 years. I've witnessed some pretty stupid shit :D
Unfortunately, this is someone who may have never been boating in his life. All of a sudden he gets a wild hair and he owns a boat. Go to the dealer/private party, pay your $$ and tow it home.
I'm just saying rather than have the **** it attitude towards him for being ignorant we should be concerned about his safety and the safety of those around him.
How many stupid things have I done in my life? Hell, I'm a 42 year old grandpa. I hate to start counting, but, thank God for the peeps that took the time and taught me right.
My belief is this. If I were to have the "**** it" attitude towards drunks in my bar, and just be glad when he leaves cuz "finally I don't have to deal him", I'd have a hard time with that. My staff is the same way.
Regardless of this drunks proximity to me or my other customers, the fact is he's still out there somewhere to cause injury or death to himself or someone else. I do all I can to keep him from driving. Call and pay for a cab (this works a lot), make him sit and drink water/soda, eat. I threaten to 86 his ass forever. Call me an ass, but, I've even called the popo in order to keep him from driving his car.
My point is, just because this newbie boater may only boat in Perris doesn't negate the possibility of someone getting hurt. Teach/educate/train. He will most likely see the light and count his blessings. I will, knowing that another boater is RA.

mbrown2
08-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Along with high performance crashes, this guy will be another reason my cat insurance went up 1800 this year...

Boozer
08-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Yes, this guy does need a lot of educating about boats but it sounds like this guy lack's a little something called common sense. Some of the things your describing most people with no boating skill's should know. He's putting his family and friends in danger with his lack of boating skill's and not having just some basic common sense.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this. I bought my boat and had no safety classes or experience operating a boat. My only experiences were riding in other peoples boats out at Havasu. When I got my boat I definitely did some stupid bone head things but NOTHING even remotely close to the dumb ass shit this guy is pulling. I think it would be wise to tell your buddy's buddy that the best thing he can do is sale the boat and take on another hobby with less risks to other personal safety. My suggestion would be crotcheting or finger painting as he doesn't seem to have enough common sense to do anything else.
I'd hate to go to the same shooting range as this guy :jawdrop:

Kachina26
08-17-2004, 10:38 PM
True. Common sense is born into a person. Some have it, some adapt to a warped facsimile and some will never get it. Been a fireman for over 20 years. I've witnessed some pretty stupid shit :D
Unfortunately, this is someone who may have never been boating in his life. All of a sudden he gets a wild hair and he owns a boat. Go to the dealer/private party, pay your $$ and tow it home.
I'm just saying rather than have the **** it attitude towards him for being ignorant we should be concerned about his safety and the safety of those around him.
How many stupid things have I done in my life? Hell, I'm a 42 year old grandpa. I hate to start counting, but, thank God for the peeps that took the time and taught me right.
My belief is this. If I were to have the "**** it" attitude towards drunks in my bar, and just be glad when he leaves cuz "finally I don't have to deal him", I'd have a hard time with that. My staff is the same way.
Regardless of this drunks proximity to me or my other customers, the fact is he's still out there somewhere to cause injury or death to himself or someone else. I do all I can to keep him from driving. Call and pay for a cab (this works a lot), make him sit and drink water/soda, eat. I threaten to 86 his ass forever. Call me an ass, but, I've even called the popo in order to keep him from driving his car.
My point is, just because this newbie boater may only boat in Perris doesn't negate the possibility of someone getting hurt. Teach/educate/train. He will most likely see the light and count his blessings. I will, knowing that another boater is RA.
You have a point, however the education that he needs is to be a first mate for awhile. You know what I mean? Show him the ropes, that is tough when he is now the captain.
Maybe suggest a boating course for the guy and some of this stuff will sink in. Maybe show him how even good size boats can blend into the white caps, so a person is certainly invisible. Maybe tell him to take his buddies out in smaller groups.
Yeah, I've made my share of mistakes. I usually had someone there to get me hip to what I was about to do though.

HighRoller
08-17-2004, 10:50 PM
I agree with boating courses for a good "technical" learning as far as the rules. But when it comes to common sense, only a ride-along with an experienced boater will teach him how to be safe in every situation. Maybe the guy just doesn't know shyt from shinola when it comes to boats. I know it's a drag, but whenever I used to take people in my boat who weren't boaters, I took 5 minutes to explain to them a few common sense rules. Once we were on the water I spent another 5 minutes explaining where the PFD's and extinguishers were and what NOT to do while in my boat. Many people don't have the benefit of even this kind of "informal" training, which is too bad. But it's the only way to possibly save someone's life in an unexpected incident.

Kachina26
08-17-2004, 11:17 PM
I agree with boating courses for a good "technical" learning as far as the rules. But when it comes to common sense, only a ride-along with an experienced boater will teach him how to be safe in every situation. Maybe the guy just doesn't know shyt from shinola when it comes to boats. I know it's a drag, but whenever I used to take people in my boat who weren't boaters, I took 5 minutes to explain to them a few common sense rules. Once we were on the water I spent another 5 minutes explaining where the PFD's and extinguishers were and what NOT to do while in my boat. Many people don't have the benefit of even this kind of "informal" training, which is too bad. But it's the only way to possibly save someone's life in an unexpected incident.
I also explain why I made that manuever and how that idiot didn't know that he was supposed to yield, why that tuber should be in a cove at 3 pm on a saturday in front of copper canyon with a hundred boats going by. And so on.......... I like newbies, I just wish they would spend more time riding before they start driving. Like the bozo on a PWC that was coming up the wrong side of the river by topock, I veered to my right... he veered to his left..... I veered to my left...... he veered to his right .... I veered right again ... he veered left again..... I couldn't go any further right with out wheels so I cut HARD left and just about flipped a U ey to go kill that dumb sob.

Froggystyle
08-18-2004, 08:48 AM
His first mistake was a the Yamaha jet boat,
The rest sounds pretty damn stupid
I heard they look just like Tridents... :D

OGShocker
08-18-2004, 09:03 AM
I bet they blame the soon to be wreck on booze and not the loose nut behind the wheel. :notam:

OGShocker
08-18-2004, 09:04 AM
I heard they look just like Tridents... :D
I thought think you mean SeaDoo.

Dave C
08-18-2004, 09:40 AM
whats the difference?...... J/K froggy (please don't kill me with your thumb).
I thought think you mean SeaDoo.

mirvin
08-18-2004, 10:38 AM
Hey Boatnam1, was this GOLDIE????
mirvin :D

RP1
08-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Well said CP...

eliminatedsprinter
08-18-2004, 12:09 PM
At least have your buddy contact the dept of boating and waterways and have them send his friend their free course and tell him if he takes it he will save on his boat ins.
Better would be if your friend offered to go with this boat owner to take the Coast Gaurd's course, to get the on the water training he obviously needs. :idea: