PDA

View Full Version : Feel like flying this week

Bryan Rose
08-18-2004, 10:31 AM
this is why the Airbus 320 is called the "Scarebus" :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766engine-01_2_.jpg

Jetdriver
08-18-2004, 10:34 AM
Did you take that pic?

OGShocker
08-18-2004, 10:36 AM
this is why the Airbus 320 is called the "Scarebus" :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/766engine-01_2_.jpg
GE, we bring good things to life!

Bryan Rose
08-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Did you take that pic?
No it was sent to me by a friend who does Aircraft maintenance in Atlanta for Delta...
I believe he said it was an Airtran plane.... Don't qoute me on it though...
Bryan

racecar.hotshoe
08-18-2004, 10:42 AM
say what you will but its still flying :rolleyes:

WaTchTheGelCoat
08-18-2004, 10:47 AM
Looks like America West colors, scarey, they are my favorite airline. :supp:

HCS
08-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Looks like a maintenence worker didn't lock the shroud. :idea: :2purples:

Backtanner
08-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Airtran doesn't fly Airbus. And not one of their 717s either (engine is too low).
My money is on America West.

OLDRAT
08-18-2004, 11:22 AM
That's scary, but at least the damn thing stayed on the pylon! :)

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
If it was America West we would have heard about this on the news, what passenger wouldn't have wanted to talk to anyone who'd listen, and there's no way an airline can explain that. I'm thinking European or Mideast maybe african A/L. Still a scary pic, i dont think they teach you this at A and P School either. MVG

spectratoad
08-18-2004, 11:39 AM
What about the house or car on the ground that caught the rest of that shroud. :angry2: :jawdrop: Those look like French clouds though. :D

Desert Rat
08-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Still a scary pic, i dont think they teach you this at A and P School either. MVG
No what they teach you at A&P school is if you do this you will need to find a new profession when you get out of jail. :hammerhea

Evo22
08-18-2004, 01:25 PM
we took mexicana air to cancun a few years back right after take off on our way back home one of the shrouds came off and it sounded like the wing tore off we made a big u-turn and put it on the ground 30-40 min later we re-boarded and took off again made it home with no problems but what a scare that was :eek:

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Maybe the maintenance preflight book was missing that "Make sure all shroud latches are secured" and the post flight walkaround by the pilot or second in command was blind, either way everyone came back and the aircraft was serviced and all was hunky dory after that.

73kona455
08-18-2004, 04:49 PM
DARN.. now i rememeber where that pocket full of dzus fastener go.. :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :sqeyes: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples:

Ziggy
08-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Looks like KLM colors to me...Too blue looking for America West.

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 05:16 PM
Or Air Tahiti Nui might have been coming out of CDG and lost the shroud, by the looks of the pic they've figgered they gots problem and best land Wiki Wiki!!!
Ziggy you got the german and i have da pigeon english brah!!! scuse me have to shi shi wiki wiki be back no pra bra. K!

Sleek-Jet
08-18-2004, 05:27 PM
wow, I can't believe the engine didn't fall off. :D
I bet the promoted the A&P that signed that off, get's 'em off the floor and out of harms way. :idea:

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 05:48 PM
Oh yeah he was promoted to Biffy Cart duty, hook up the hose and pull the T, make sure the T is pushed all the way back in, because the guy on the other end of this flight is gonna be pissed literally.

Sleek-Jet
08-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Oh yeah he was promoted to Biffy Cart duty, hook up the hose and pull the T, make sure the T is pushed all the way back in, because the guy on the other end of this flight is gonna be pissed literally.
Been there, done that. The blue stain finally wore off after a couple weeks. :D Ahhh.... Tales from the Line Shack.

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 06:07 PM
Used to be a lineservice Manager for Mercury at BUR, and we had the contract to do at the time and this will date me Alaska Airlines and Continental A/l's Baggage and fueling ops
Well we had one guy who was a pain in the ass, so after the a/c had landed i went over and told said employee that he had to get the LAV cart and bring it over here, i opened the panel pulled the T and pushed it right back in So when employee comes over and is having a hard time removing the cover i told him it was probably ice and to give it a minute, well stubborn guy that he was he removed that cap and got drenched!!! cussed me out on the ramp in front of deplaining pax and i fired him on the spot, he came to pick up his check at the end of the week and was still a beautiful lite blue shade.
I still laugh at the time he took of with out disconnecting the lav cart from the tug and stretched the hose till it broke and there were turd floating towards the runway drains as passengers stepped over it. we were doing 727's and at that time DC9's amazing this biz

Sleek-Jet
08-18-2004, 06:23 PM
When I worked at Jeffco in Denver, we were the closest "Big" airport to Boulder, so most of the visiting sports teams would fly in there.
We had 2 GIV's that were carrying a Lady's basketball team that requested lav service before departure. Well, since I'm the graveyard shift guy, guess who get's to do that? We didn't have a honey cart either, just a shortened 55 gal drum that we would line with extra heavey duty plastic bags (it was a fantastic place to work, trust me). Anyway, you got a real good "look" at what came out of lav tanks, and gawd damn, if those weren't the biggest turd's I've ever seen. I don't know what they feed those girls.
And since I wasn't there the next morning when the a/c departed, guess who got the tip? My line manager, who pocketed most of it, saying that all tips were "part of his salary". :devil:
On the subject of tips, we quick turned the Crock's (as in McDonalds) GIV one day when it dropped off a grand-daughter to return to school at CU. 12 minutes, I believe 1000 gals, coffee and catering as well. 3 of us got a nice crisp 100.00 bill (and no, we didn't give any of it to our line manager).

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 06:36 PM
We had a week long charter w Diana Ross from VNY to SFO everynight at the same time, and everynight the same thing NO CATERING!!! All the woman wanted and i am not making any of this up was KFC, she came back one night and had had a little too much to drink and eat threw up in the Lear 35 which was due out the next morning, as S i C guess who had get it "taken" care of, so i got the line guy on duty to help me and we worked for close to three hours and got it ready for the next flight , only to find out the flight had cancelled earlier in the evening, oh well

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 06:45 PM
Before i worked at the Charter place i was working at BUR and it was a friday night and me and the boss were bored so we got a BBQ from one of the hangers and got up on the roof of the charter terminal and started cooking up some stuff, it was just the 2 of us, and a Super King Air came in, we knew who it was and ran down to meet and greet and get ready to put the plane back in the barn, well the owner was Clint Eastwood, and his then girlfriend Sondra, he saw the smoke from the upstairs area and asked whats for dinner we said burgers and your bringing up the St. Pauli's right ? Sure enough while waiting for the limo to take him wherever they both came upstairs had buger and some hot dogs and just hung out eatin and pounding beers hell the airport closed at 10 for the big stuff anyway and noone else was due in....when in rome....... Thats was one of the best lineservice jobs i ever had, met alot of folks there. MVG

Sleek-Jet
08-18-2004, 07:10 PM
There were 3 people on the airport at night when I worked at BJC (Jeffco). One guy that worked for the airport, one that worked at the "competing" FBO and me. We'd have BBQ's all the time about 2:00 am in the hangers.
Once, the other line guys and I got fed up with the way we got treated and dummied up a catering order for a non exisitant Lear. The line manager would pay for all the catering with a company CC then charge the customer later. Well, wouldn't you know it, that airplane never showed up. :D I believe we had Fillet Mingon (sp?) with fantastic vegetable's and the best cherry cheescake I've ever had. We stopped short of buying wine, but it was the best meal I'd had in months.
I learned something about treating your service people really well while I worked at that place.
I miss working the line though. If I ever hit the big lottery, I'm going to go find me a nice airport and just work out on the line for a while.

Infomaniac
08-18-2004, 07:14 PM
That has to be pilot error. LOL
Those cowling are only there for fire system containment. Well they might help for aerodynamics as their secondary function. :rolleyes:
There is nothing wrong with that engine.
Oh yea, If I need lavs serviced I call fleet service.
My mechanics will change the turd splitter filter and maintenance the system. 737 or MD-80
Beyondhelpin you there?

Dr. Eagle
08-18-2004, 08:00 PM
In 1988 I was on a TWA L1011 flight at night out of Logan Airport in Boston with my wife. We were sitting just behind the wing, I had the window seat. As we climbed through 30,000 ft. The engine on the starboard side (just ahead of where I was sitting) seemed to explode and the entire plane shuddered.
There was a cylindrical trail of sparks coming from the engine (ala grinder) in about the same size as the engine itself. We kept going in a straight line for what seemed like forever (probably a minute or perhaps longer) and finally the guy behind me reached over and tapped the flight attendant that was sitting nearby (in one of those mid cabin service areas) and motioned her to look outside.
She turned white and picked up the phone there to talk to the cockpit. Sometime later the flight engineer (the L1011 is a 3 pilot aircraft) came walking down the aisle smiling and nodding to the passengers. What killed me was this guy took the time to put on his jacket (with the stripes) and his uniform hat.
He took one look at me... and got concerned and quickly looked outside. He looked back at me with a look kind of like "uh-oh" and took off running (as much as you can run in a aircraft) toward the front.
Next thing I know we are in a steep turn to port, turning and transitioning from climb attitude to decent attitude. The captain came on the speaker and told us that one of the passengers had noticed what appeared to be sparks from one of the engines so "purely as a precaution" they were shutting down the engine and we were going back to Boston. Honestly the engine looked like the space shuttle taking off (probably cuz it was night).
We continued down to Boston, and turning onto final saw nothing but red flashing lights on the tarmac... every fire unit within miles had been summoned.
We landed safely and rolled to the end of the runway. The FD looked at the engine and gave permission to taxi to the jetway.
As we unloaded I stopped at the forward door and looked at the engine through the window. The engine nacelle was blown out from the 1 o'clock to the 7 o'clock about 3 feet wide. We had either lost the fan disk or parts of it.
I still consider that one of my nine lives... :chi:

Sleek-Jet
08-18-2004, 08:07 PM
What killed me was this guy took the time to put on his jacket (with the stripes) and his uniform hat.
He took one look at me... and got concerned and quickly looked outside. He looked back at me with a look kind of like "uh-oh" and took off running (as much as you can run in a aircraft) toward the front.
Alot of airlines used to require that the flight crews be in full uniform when they were in public (like out of the cockpit), depended on the carrier. TWA was an old school airline, so that explaines the coat and hat (and two stripes)

JustMVG
08-18-2004, 08:09 PM
Damn that must have been intense, but you back it back safe and sound , but that an attendant had to go forward or call forward when there was a clear alarm up Front was over kill by the Second in command, they had lights and could see the turbine temp plus the yaw that must have happened due to asymmetrical thrust ,overkill passenger comfort, but how comfortable are you going to be when the guy is running up towards the cockpit.... these airlines and their redundancy programs kill me.

Dr. Eagle
08-18-2004, 08:42 PM
They also have engine balance guages that can alert them to a situation like this... why they didn't seem to know or notice I'll never know. It was scary... but I have flown so much it was only the worst one. I have been involved in about 5 emergency landings of various intensity. This is the only one I count as one of my nine lives though...
The crane accident at work 23 years ago counted for two...

Dr. Eagle
08-18-2004, 08:53 PM
:yuk: Oh, and I flew from Sacto to OC yesterday... :yuk:

79miller
08-18-2004, 08:53 PM
Crane accident?!?! Do tell...

Dr. Eagle
08-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Crane accident?!?! Do tell...
Loooong story.

79miller
08-18-2004, 08:57 PM
A friend of my dad's was a huge manitowoc driver, he had all sorts of good stories.
Save yours for another thread...

Dr. Eagle
08-18-2004, 09:00 PM
A friend of my dad's was a huge manitowoc driver, he had all sorts of good stories.
Save yours for another thread...
When that crane started the job it was a 300 foot + 80 of jib foot jib 250 ton American crawler crane. When it finished it was 200 tons of scrap iron... and two coworkers were dead and 3 in the hospital.

79miller
08-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Were you one of the 3 or just on site?

beyondhelpin
08-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Used to be a lineservice Manager for Mercury at BUR, and we had the contract to do at the time and this will date me Alaska Airlines and Continental A/l's Baggage and fueling ops
Well we had one guy who was a pain in the ass, so after the a/c had landed i went over and told said employee that he had to get the LAV cart and bring it over here, i opened the panel pulled the T and pushed it right back in So when employee comes over and is having a hard time removing the cover i told him it was probably ice and to give it a minute, well stubborn guy that he was he removed that cap and got drenched!!! cussed me out on the ramp in front of deplaining pax and i fired him on the spot, he came to pick up his check at the end of the week and was still a beautiful lite blue shade.
I still laugh at the time he took of with out disconnecting the lav cart from the tug and stretched the hose till it broke and there were turd floating towards the runway drains as passengers stepped over it. we were doing 727's and at that time DC9's amazing this biz
Thats ****ed up. If I had someone do that to me, they would have to wait to fire me after they got out of the hospital. How would you like someone to throw a bucket of piss and shit on you?
In case anyone does not know what he did by pulling the handle is he dumped the lavs into the drain tube and when the guy popped the lid the lav waste water came rushing right into his face and body. Asshole or not nobody deserves that.

beyondhelpin
08-18-2004, 10:24 PM
That has to be pilot error. LOL
Those cowling are only there for fire system containment. Well they might help for aerodynamics as their secondary function. :rolleyes:
There is nothing wrong with that engine.
Oh yea, If I need lavs serviced I call fleet service.
My mechanics will change the turd splitter filter and maintenance the system. 737 or MD-80
Beyondhelpin you there?
I would be more worried about flight control damage aft of the engine. Like an aileron!

essexjet
08-18-2004, 10:26 PM
That picture is awesome. When I get to work, I'll show it to some people there (Boeing). I don't think its an airtran, we have a couple here now and the paint on the engine is not the same.

Bryan Rose
08-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Today in the Atlanta Paper there was an article with the same pic that I posted.
It was a Ryan International Airlines A-320 operating under contract for AirTran. The flight was from Atlanta to Orlando and had 110 people on board. After the plane made an emergency landing in Atl the inspecters found a 12 inch dent and punctures in the leading edge of the left wing, and the pylon that holds the engine to the airframe was bent...this occured on July 13, 2004.
I feel better now, do you?
Bryan

Dr. Eagle
08-19-2004, 04:57 AM
Were you one of the 3 or just on site?
I was not physically injured, miraculously. I was standing right next to where the load (a 20 ton Box Composite Column) came to rest. The steel landed on a scaffold I was standing next to. I will never forget that sound as the scaffold was crushed that sounded like a train wreck and as the x brace pins sheared off, they sounded like bullets wizzing by.
In addition the load block and cables all came down with it. I ran like hell to get out of the way of all the falling objects. The crane pulled the office trailer off the side of the excavation when it tipped over, which was where the deaths and injuries occurred. It was a 100 ft fall from the edge of the excavation to the bottom. I had to run roughly 150 feet to escape the falling debris, and trailer. It was like running in slow motion seeing all this hell rain down and it seemed to take forever, even though it maybe took 10 seconds...

79miller
08-19-2004, 05:48 AM
Crazy, didn't even have time to crap your pants till it was over... Sounds like a scene from a movie. Glad you made it out.

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 06:09 AM
Thats ****ed up. If I had someone do that to me, they would have to wait to fire me after they got out of the hospital. How would you like someone to throw a bucket of piss and shit on you?
In case anyone does not know what he did by pulling the handle is he dumped the lavs into the drain tube and when the guy popped the lid the lav waste water came rushing right into his face and body. Asshole or not nobody deserves that.
You know you might have been right but there is a disinfectant that is put in the water to help break down as much as possible, the guy was a jerk and did nothing , i was paying him to sit on his ass, you can say what a bad guy i was and thats fine but you were not there you do not know the whole story, and he was taken to a safety facility onsite and given a screening not once but twice after at company cost,i fessed up to my manager and he scolded me just before he broke out laughing be cause it has been done to lineservice guys since the begiining of time. you learn to stand away from the lav cap and then open it, because you never know whats been don on the other end.
I knew darn well what i was doing, come out and work the line sometime, there are some of our military folks here who have done the job it sucks you have to deal with all sorts of weather , cocky pilots, and the charter co owner. Sorry to rant but that got me a lil teed off

beyondhelpin
08-19-2004, 07:11 AM
I worked the line for 3 years in San Diego for AA. I have seen several guy get dumped on by accident. I understand the guy was worthless. Just thought that was a pretty harsh way to deal with him. I am a mechanic so I did not dump the lavs. We called fleet service.
Yea the blue is a disinfectant but still...........

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 07:26 AM
You had to be there, it was planned by the guys he worked with and if that had happened i would have had to let go of a great bunch of people, also i was like 20 years old it was funny then , you don't think of health consequences at that age, whether for you or someone else, in retrospect probably wasn't the greatest thing to to do to the guy but if you knew him you'd have seriously thought about it too. We Mercury had contracted out for the Ground service for the two airlines since at that time they shared gates at BUR, sothere was no Fleet Maint. like you guys had, this was also 1980 things were a little different on the lines then and at the FBO's, we had fuelers that would leave in the morning 6 am and not be seen until 2:30pm when they clocked out, i had to watch one guy for a week, he had exactly four fuelings a day, he'd do his two Aircal early morn , flights then top off his fuel truck Alaska was not due in until 11am so this guy slept until then, after his Alaska refuel he topped off again, not needed and walked across the street in uniform and bought a couple of pints and was knocking them down while waiting for his Continental flight his last flight, then he went home. he got caught by an off duty supv. that saw him crossing the street with his fuel truck, an amazing feat at the time, security wasn't then like it is now, and they fired him the next day. He was hired by another start up FBO and took out a G3 wing tip yup gone within a week, it was 7:30 am and he was plastered. So i have seen alot of stuff on the lines and in the cockpit, working for AA must have been either great or a real grind, i've heard both .
MVG