PDA

View Full Version : Are you people in California dealing with this latest craze?

dgie
08-19-2004, 09:14 AM
I am thinking of cutting the muffler off my car to fit in. My apartments seems to have a lot of trucks, getto cars etc. with really loud mufflers. Are there laws in California that prohibit loud ass cars and trucks? My boat has over the transom headers and is loud as hell, but thats on a lake not in an apartment complex.....Maybe I should bring my boat here and fire it up at 1 in the morning, bastards.... :devil:
I was told the Texas Edition Dodge truck is banned from california due to its excessive noise levels, not sure if that is true.....

Misogynist
08-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Oh yeah... every jack-off kid here in Los Angeles has to have a loud muffler and the harleys have no muffler at all... and the cops just seem to turn a blind eye... especially about the bikes... :yuk:

HighRoller
08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
I deal with that up here too. But it's worse. The other night in the drive thru to get a midnight snack and the clown in front of me has his "racing" Kia lookin' good! 5 inch tailpipe on a 1' exhaust system. Stickers everywhere. Tin Foil wing. And the topper....a 5", 10,000RPM monster tach on the dash with shift light. Worse, it was a 4 door automatic with a CAR SEAT in the back. Oh, almost forgot it was slammed to the ground. He ran over a french fry and bottomed the thing out as he drove away :jawdrop:

dgie
08-19-2004, 10:28 AM
He ran over a french fry and bottomed the thing out as he drove away :jawdrop:
I can't seem stop laughing... :D I seen a Kia with a spoiler that was raised around 3 feet off the trunk. WTF when I was younger back in the 80's atleast our shit looked good. For example my Vega with a 350 in it. I had stacks out the back, but something under the hood that gave it some meaning. I won't even go into my 72 Dodge Challenger I had when I was 18.

EmpirE231
08-19-2004, 10:30 AM
"if it's too loud...you're too old" :cool:

MAINEVENT
08-19-2004, 10:32 AM
OK i stand guilty of this one :hammerhea my suburban at an idle is so loud when i was sitting waiting for my food at a drive through they asked me to turn off my car cause the cashier could not hear.... :crossx: But needles to say i sound far from a rice burner :cool:

MAINEVENT
08-19-2004, 10:33 AM
"if it's too loud...you're too old" :cool:
LMAO :D

tcook33
08-19-2004, 10:33 AM
the harleys have no muffler at all
Sorry bud, that doesnt happen. The way a motor works doesnt allow you to run "no muffler". You have been misinformed my friend. I say misinformed because I know you havent seen that with your own eyes.

Brian Ray
08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
It been like this out in Cali from some time now....I used to live in Alta Loma and every kid with a truck had his mufflers cut off and it's the same way here in Bakersfield.
The other night these stupid f*&K's who are renting next door, their friend decides to rev his rice rocket up...thought he was cool or something. I almost went out and fired the boat up (it has 4" X 10" extensions), Let them hear what a real engine sounds like..... :p

BrendellaJet
08-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Oh yeah... every jack-off kid here in Los Angeles has to have a loud muffler and the harleys have no muffler at all... and the cops just seem to turn a blind eye... especially about the bikes... :yuk:
Loud bikes save lives.

Brian Ray
08-19-2004, 10:37 AM
I seen a Kia with a spoiler that was raised around 3 feet off the trunk.
Other wise know as a shopping cart..... ;)

MAINEVENT
08-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Loud bikes save lives.
"Loud Pipes Save Lives" Very True

Froggystyle
08-19-2004, 10:41 AM
the harleys have no muffler at all
Sorry bud, that doesnt happen. The way a motor works doesnt allow you to run "no muffler". You have been misinformed my friend. I say misinformed because I know you havent seen that with your own eyes.
Mine had straight pipes... no muffler at all. 104 inch S&S motor.

dgie
08-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Somebody told me that they have laws out there that limit how loud something can be. They talk about it on the threads on the Jet boat site all the time, not sure if they enforce it everywhere out there though. I guess my main complaint is that they drive these rice rockets around loud as hell around the apartment complex and housing developments when people are trying to sleep, the word "Being considerate to others" seems to come to mind. I drive an Acura Integra myself, but I don't stick some goofy muffler on it to make it sound like it's something it's not. I will tell you though some of the crap they put on those cars is some pretty funny shit....I wish I had my camera to take a picture of that kia with the wing....

dave186
08-19-2004, 10:44 AM
around here, theres not so many rice rockets as there are diesel trucks with no mufflers or cats and a 4" straight pipe with a 5" tip. a cummins sounds soooo much like a honda its unbelievable. they have that stupid inline motor resonance. they all think they are fast too, my buddy and i were going to the lake and were pulling a hill, he had is 21' river boat behind his 04.5 cummins 600 with a banks chip, straight pipe, intake system, all the typical redneck mods. and i was in my lightning with my 18' Southwind, he was pissed when I passed him doin 90 ;)

tcook33
08-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Mine had straight pipes... no muffler at all. 104 inch S&S motor.
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking pipes. Yeah, straight pipes is cool. As you can see in the picture to the left, I have straight pipes. Sorry mysoginyst.

roostwear
08-19-2004, 10:50 AM
There's SOMETHING f'd up in SoCal! Bikes run with no mufflers (or more accurately "baffles"), and if I took the Mustang out uncorked, the local constabulary would be on me like flies on sh1t! A big block uncorked on the street sounds so much better than a Harley anyway........ :D

Spotondl
08-19-2004, 10:52 AM
Rice rockets and their FART pipes.... :argue: :yuk: :eat:

MsDrmr
08-19-2004, 10:55 AM
its always something, there seems to always be a craze in socal. we have those damn gas powered bikes that the kids suped up in the neighborhood and they go screaming down the block (culdesac) and then theres the fun teen boy down the street that goes slower than frozen molasas blarring his so called music so loud that the house shakes. It actually knocked a book of mine of an end table the other day.
I say it's time for a launch rocket next time he goes down the street :crossx:

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-19-2004, 11:00 AM
That be correct :) I have gotten a ticket in the past for exhaust modification though. They only enforce it on the bikes in certain areas like HB and Laguna Beach. We pretty much know where not to go and spend our money while on the bikes.

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
There's SOMETHING f'd up in SoCal! Bikes run with no mufflers (or more accurately "baffles"), and if I took the Mustang out uncorked, the local constabulary would be on me like flies on sh1t! A big block uncorked on the street sounds so much better than a Harley anyway........ :D
Your entitled to your opinion even if it is wrong :)

WaTchTheGelCoat
08-19-2004, 11:09 AM
I am going to have to agree whole heartedly. Hearing a car cackle its nuts off, is much nicer than hearing a loud ass bike that can barley get out of its own way.

AquaBoogie
08-19-2004, 11:13 AM
I'm guilty. Slapped a Flowmaster on the Yukon XL. Has a real nice deep rumble.

Drunk tank
08-19-2004, 11:20 AM
No ofense to the harley guys... but those have gotta be some of the lamest bikes ever made! Sound like crap, cant manuver for shit, get gas millage worse than my jeep, and cost more than a damn car! Maybe I have a slanted view as I'm planning on getting a crotch rocket in the next few months so i can commute. As for the ricers and the fart cans.... I'll walk by and kick the damn thing off. That sound makes me all crazy... kinda like theres a swarm of bean eating texans around me. As for the BB and diesel trucks... god damn thats a beautiful sound! Nothin like the smell of a diesel burnin in the morning!

Essex502
08-19-2004, 11:24 AM
It's against the law to modify your exhaust but rarely enforced. When we used to run "turbomuffs" and "glasspacks" in the early '70's we were stopped all the time and cited for fix-it tickets. I don't know why this hasn't been elevated to a paying citation...hell the state is out of money and this would generate a revenue stream.
California Vehicle Code:
Modification of Exhaust Systems
27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.
(b) Except as provided in Division 16.5 (commencing with Section 38000) with respect to off-highway motor vehicles subject to identification, every passenger vehicle operated off the highways shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained so as to meet the requirements of Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200), and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.
(c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not be applicable to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted under the auspices of a recognized sanctioning body or by permit issued by the local governmental authority having jurisdiction.
Sale of Exhaust Systems
27150.1. No person engaged in a business that involves the selling of motor vehicle exhaust systems, or parts thereof, including, but not limited to, mufflers, shall offer for sale, sell, or install, a motor vehicle exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, unless it meets the regulations and standards applicable pursuant to this article. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
27150.2. (a) Stations providing referee functions pursuant to Section 44036 of the Health and Safety Code shall provide for the testing of vehicular exhaust systems and the issuance of certificates of compliance only for those vehicles that have received a citation for a violation of Section 27150 or 27151.
(b) A certificate of compliance for a vehicular exhaust system shall be issued pursuant to subdivision (a) if the vehicle complies with Sections 27150 and 27151. Exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles, other than motorcycles, with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds comply with Sections 27150 and 27151 if they emit no more than 95 dbA when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998.
(c) An exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a) shall identify, to the extent possible, the make, model, year, license number, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle tested, and the make and model of the exhaust system installed on the vehicle.
(d) The station shall charge a fee for the exhaust system certificate of compliance issued pursuant to subdivision (a). The fee charged shall be calculated to recover the costs incurred by the Department of Consumer Affairs to implement this section. The fees charged by the station shall be deposited in the Vehicle Inspection and Repair Fund established by Section 44062 of the Health and Safety Code.
(e) Vehicular exhaust systems are exempt from the requirements of Sections 27150 and 27151 if compliance with those sections, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, would cause an unreasonable hardship without resulting in a sufficient corresponding benefit with respect to noise level control.
27150.3. (a) A person may not modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle with a whistle-tip.
(b) A person may not operate a motor vehicle if that vehicle's exhaust system is modified in violation of subdivision (a).
(c) A person may not engage in the business of installing a whistle-tip onto a motor vehicle's exhaust system.
(d) For purposes of subdivisions (a) and (c), a "whistle-tip" is a device that is applied to, or is a modification of, a motor vehicle's exhaust pipe for the sole purpose of creating a high-pitched or shrieking noise when the motor vehicle is operated.
27150.5. Any person holding a retail seller's permit who sells or installs an exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, in violation of Section 27150.1 or 27150.2 or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto, shall thereafter be required to install an exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, which is in compliance with such regulations upon demand of the purchaser or registered owner of the vehicle concerned, or to reimburse the purchaser or registered owner for the expense of replacement and installation of an exhaust system, or part thereof, including, but not limited to, a muffler, which is in compliance, at the election of such purchaser or registered owner.
27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
NOTE: several of the sections - 27150.4, 27150.6, 27150.7 and 27150.8 weren't accessible at this time.

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-19-2004, 11:27 AM
No ofense to the harley guys... but those have gotta be some of the lamest bikes ever made! Sound like crap, cant manuver for shit, get gas millage worse than my jeep, and cost more than a damn car! Maybe I have a slanted view as I'm planning on getting a crotch rocket in the next few months so i can commute. As for the ricers and the fart cans.... I'll walk by and kick the damn thing off. That sound makes me all crazy... kinda like theres a swarm of bean eating texans around me. As for the BB and diesel trucks... god damn thats a beautiful sound! Nothin like the smell of a diesel burnin in the morning!
Just rode that lame bike 3500 miles in 9 days and I loved it. To each his own.

Three Days Only
08-19-2004, 11:28 AM
How would you like this fired up in your apartment building.
Its guys like this that give the tree huggers reasons to bitch about loud boats.
LOL - Take That Bling Bling
Its Just Alittle Blower Motor - Two Of Them - Turn Up Your Speakers Really Loud, It Will Give You Alittle Wood!!! (http://home.comcast.net/~j-herman/130_3003.avi)

Keithb87
08-19-2004, 11:39 AM
What you no like my car :confused:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1683big_pipe.jpg
Maybe this would be better :confused:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1683car_pipes.jpg
This is my drag car
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1683civic-med.bmp
I worked hard to afford my modifockations to my ricer's :p :p :D :D
(Thanks to Some Kind of Monster for the pics)

dgie
08-19-2004, 11:43 AM
How would you like this fired up in your apartment building.
Its guys like this that give the tree huggers reasons to bitch about loud boats.
LOL - Take That Bling Bling
Its Just Alittle Blower Motor - Two Of Them - Turn Up Your Speakers Really Loud, It Will Give You Alittle Wood!!! (http://home.comcast.net/~j-herman/130_3003.avi)
Takes too long to download, but if it's loud bring it out, we wake they asses up at 2 in the morning :mad:

OGShocker
08-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Next thing is going to be pissing and moaning about loud boats :eat:

dgie
08-19-2004, 11:45 AM
What you no like my car :confused:
This is my drag car
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1683civic-med.bmp
I worked hard to afford my modifockations to my ricer's :p :p :D :D
(Thanks to Some Kind of Monster for the pics)
Looks like that fricken Kia LMAO :D :D :D

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 11:46 AM
I deal with that up here too. But it's worse. The other night in the drive thru to get a midnight snack and the clown in front of me has his "racing" Kia lookin' good! 5 inch tailpipe on a 1' exhaust system. Stickers everywhere. Tin Foil wing. And the topper....a 5", 10,000RPM monster tach on the dash with shift light. Worse, it was a 4 door automatic with a CAR SEAT in the back. Oh, almost forgot it was slammed to the ground. He ran over a french fry and bottomed the thing out as he drove away :jawdrop:
Somewhere there's K Mart missing a shopping cart thats what those stupid fart can big ass wing 10ft round tach with 5ft round shift light, air bagged( how do those guys know when the car is level) making noise too, always wanna race the mustang so they can brag they beat a 4.6 big block( yes i know but the ricers don't ) and ALWAYS get their ass handed to them by the mustang, if i just beat you by more than ten car lengths, and i wasn't even pushing it why in the world would you want to race AGAIN, oh and why is your wife / girlfriend laughing so hard the in and out shake is comin thru her nose? And if you are going to put in aftermarket lights, little tip remember to realign them or remember to use all of the parts for them, i don't like the dancing lites thing, although the neon under the neon looks pretty cool
Spinner rims i dont get it, someone please esplain to me? now put some nice neon strobes in those things and hypnotize all on the street to what you will mwahaahahaaaa

Keithb87
08-19-2004, 11:46 AM
Kinda sounds like my boat motor.. :rolleyes: I don't think that's loud....
That's the most soothing sound I've ever heard... :D

dgie
08-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Next thing is going to be pissing and moaning about loud boats :eat:
Hey OG.....GO KERRY....... :D :D :D :D

coolchange
08-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Amazing what a little expanding uerathane foam in a fart can will do.
Even funnier to watch it leave on a flat bed. Think they got a clue?
Probably not.

CA Stu
08-19-2004, 11:51 AM
"Loud pipes risk rights" is more like it.
Or the ever popular "Loud pipes, tiny organ".
Thanks
CA Stu <-- Stealth mode bikes rule.

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 11:54 AM
When was the last time you heard a bike before it passed you, and it's not pleasent when im stuck in traffic and the guy with the loud pipes is splitting the lanes and seems to have the needs to rev the bike every ten feet, thats when the loud pipes don't save lives, besides ever hear of the Doppler effect?
See the first line.
I don't mind loud pipes on bikes but be courteous if your coming home at 2 am we don't need to know you're home

dgie
08-19-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't mind loud pipes on bikes but be courteous if your coming home at 2 am we don't need to know you're home
Amen,,,,,,,,,, ;)

repo man
08-19-2004, 12:01 PM
if it's to loud your to old!!!!!!

dgie
08-19-2004, 12:08 PM
Nice quote, but I like mine better "Having respect for others"

CA Stu
08-19-2004, 12:13 PM
I'll run that by my 16 month old daughter when your loud POS wakes her up from her afternoon nap.
Thanks
CA Stu

Keithb87
08-19-2004, 12:17 PM
POP CORN, PEANUTS, GET 'EM WHILE THER'E HOT
:argue: :argue:
:hammerhea LADIES AND GENTELMEN.....
LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMBLE !!!!!! :hammerhea :hammerhea :hammerhea

CA Stu
08-19-2004, 12:22 PM
I actually have a design for pipes for those loud V-twins that I'm looking to patent, manufacture, and sell.
Basically, the unbaffled pipes come out of the motor, under the rider's right leg, then arch up and around his head and end up about a foot from each of his ears. Front cylinder on right ear, rear cylinder on left.
That way, he can enjoy his bitchin' bike's sound to the fullest, and not deafen and piss off the rest of the planet. ;)
Thanks
CA Stu

Ducatista
08-19-2004, 12:45 PM
Loud bikes save lives.
No matter what you ride....this is very true....I agree. You want to talk about alot of racket? Last night I was at a Italian motorcycle show at Pro Italia in La Canada, you talk about noise! Nothing like 150 or so Duc's and their clanging spoons! It was pretty fun, there were a couple of vintage machines that were as loud as the loudest Harley I have ever heard. I was in heaven, & most of the bikes there had aftermarket pipes of some kind..........way cool in my book! :cool:

MRS. MAINEVENT
08-19-2004, 01:03 PM
I'll run that by my 16 month old daughter when your loud POS wakes her up from her afternoon nap.
Thanks
CA Stu
That's kinda funny, seeing that I have 21 month old TRIPLETS that seem to sleep through anything including Daddy's suburban, maybe you should realize that it's a free world and you have to teach your kids how to sleep in it. My kids also sleep at Dumont during races and at the river when we fire up the boat. My .02 :wink:

CA Stu
08-19-2004, 01:12 PM
That's kinda funny, seeing that I have 21 month old TRIPLETS that seem to sleep through anything including Daddy's suburban, maybe you should realize that it's a free world and you have to teach your kids how to sleep in it. My kids also sleep at Dumont during races and at the river when we fire up the boat. My .02 :wink:
Your "Free world" logic is flawed. You can swing your fist all over the place, (it's a free world), until you hit someone with it.
I wouldn't complain about noise if I was at the River or Dumont or the races, etc., but in my own house, f*ckin a right, I'll complain.
As far as teaching kids how to sleep, my daughter must be a genius or something, she figured it out all by herself! :)
And here's another newsflash: Noise does not equal power.
Noise for the sake of noise is gay.
Thanks
CA Stu

MRS. MAINEVENT
08-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Thanks
CA Stu[/QUOTE]
Well I guess you'll have to say it to yourself, because my loud a$$ suburban has plenty of power and so does the stereo system so I won't be able to hear you.
Oh FYI my husband has loud pipes on everything he owns and also has a huge d***, so I guess your theories are a little off about loud pipes and small organs ;)

CrazyHippy
08-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Need to put a Harley Sticker on your OT unbaffled boat.. that way the local PD wont harrass you...
Those things are freaking anoying. My neighbor was bragging about how loud his new nighttrain is after his new pipes... i unhooked the slip-on's on my Suzuki, just to make a point, ran earplugs, full faced helmet, and still had a headache in less than a mile.
BJH

HammerDown
08-19-2004, 02:18 PM
and the harleys have no muffler at all
But how can one not like the sound of a Harley? :cool:

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 02:18 PM
Another part of the Loud Pipes save lives, im on the freeway just a half hour ago i have my music up and the a/c on doing the usual 75 80 and a guy on a Bike with the Ape hanger bars goes flying by me, no prob but i didn't hear him at ALL until he was past me, sitting in traffic i'll hear them from a mile away, if i'm on the freeway and cruising i don't hear a darn thing till your past me , Loud pipes are for show and maybe you get a little performance outta them, but the argument does not fly with me at any rate over thirtyfive miles an hour sorry , the guy can be right behind me and i cant hear him until he romps on the throttle and passes me.

HammerDown
08-19-2004, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE= i unhooked the slip-on's on my Suzuki, just to make a point, ran earplugs, full faced helmet, and still had a headache in less than a mile.
BJH[/QUOTE]
Heck even I'll agree with ya about that! Who wants to hear a 600 lb weed wacker (without mufflers) :rolleyes: :D

charlyox
08-19-2004, 02:27 PM
My Harley is loud and proud.I almost got killed with stock pipes :hammer2:

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 02:30 PM
But how can one not like the sound of a Harley? :cool:
When you neighbor going thru midlife crises has to run his up in his garage everyday and can barely ride the damn thing, damn near falls over just backing it down his driveway, went riding with him one time , i have a 2002 CBR600F4i Streetbike, i have been riding since i was four or five, my neighbor says he'll lead, i said fine, first just making the left hander to get to the intersection he almost gets hit by yup a ricer, i'm beeping my horn trying to tell him no no don't go but nope he knows better than i, so i proceed after him at the light he bitches about the ricer damn near hitting him i asked if he heard my horn he said smiling no his PIPES were TOO LOUD, pipes aren't going save as many lives as bikes that can have some modicum of handling some of these bike have what 5 degrees of lean angle, if you had to avoid something you'd damn near kill yourself or scrape so much the wheels would come out from under you. I respect all forms of Motorcycling whatever is your thing is yours, by the way the neighbor came over and apologized which i thought was cool 'cause he didn't have too, i have taken him over to the local parking lot and shown him some stuff he seems to have gotten alot better since then.

gnarley
08-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Your lucky YOUR kids seem to sleep through noise, others aren't so lucky. Your free world theory is way flawed and the reason there are laws and the tree huggers want to keep people like you quiet and then ruin it for the rest of us who aren't so selfish.
I know why bikes want to be heard and when is it enough? I used to like the sound of my loud engines, but also realized others may not like it and I became more considerate. Being cool isn't about having the loudest thing on the road, being cool is a state of mind and if you have something bad ass and you are confident about it you don't need to try to show it off, you know it is and that's all that matters. Being cool and silence speak volumes.
YOU can have bad ass without lots of noise, they are called sleepers, those are the ones to watch out for, because the person who owns it is confident enough to be cool about it and didn’tt need to put the noise in EVERYONE's face or ears.
The ricer's are just plain stupid and there is absolutely no reason for the 2 1/2 inch and larger exhaust on some of them, but they must have a reason they need to be noticed and don't have the confidence to be cool.
For those that say if it's too loud you’re too old, I say there is a time and a place for everything and you must feel the need to show off your lack of confidence, it lets the cool confident people know you are just a jerk. :yuk:

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks Gnarly C , i was thinking it but had another rant going on, but you hit it on the head, Thanks again, Mike VG

Liquid Courage
08-19-2004, 03:15 PM
I can't believe I"m reading a noise complaint thread on a "performance boat" website. 95% of performance boats have thru-hull exhaust. I"m sure everyone doesn't like my dry Gil pipes on my boat, but I sure as hell do!! :D
I HATE those frickin rice rocket tin can exhaust tubes but you know what....To each their own. Lighten up a bit or join this guy!
Click on the "noise impact video" and read the coments next to the videos...Frickin amazing!
http://www.lrsla.org

Ducatista
08-19-2004, 03:19 PM
I think the alot of the "loud pipes saves lives" theory comes from guys that either commute or split lanes in traffic alot. The few times I've had to split lanes, the extra rumble from the exhaust does help, provided your not going fast. I can see the heads turn to the rear view mirror in cars in front of me, as they hear you first. It certainly doesn't hurt to have that in you're favor when on a bike in traffic, just like good gear and a clear mind.
Like Mike said, its of no help when going fast, you loose any noise advantage. The key here, just like our loud boats, is courtesy and respect, and some common sense. I know my neighbor is asleep when its late, I simply ride the bike with that in mind. Unless the bike is just "obnoxiously loud", most bikes with aftermarket cannisters can be pretty quite when riden correctly. My Ducati had titanium open core racing pipes on it, and under throttle shes a thing of beauty. "The hills are alive with the sounds of Ducati's" sung by Julie Andrews, is my favorite song. But I can still come into my housing track at night, like I did last night, and be very quite. Low speed, keeping the rpms down, idle, off and roll her into the garage. Some of us here on the boards have been able to launch their loud boats at the marina, using similiar techniques.
I will say though, that it is the squids in the garage at midnight or 6am in the morning, brrraaaappin' their "way to loud" machines that ruin it for everyone. LE is starting to crack down on noise violators in several known riding locations in California. I'm a motorcycle enthusiast first, boater second, & I hope I can continue to enjoy these freedoms as long as I live.If I have to buy silencers for the boat, and slip the stock exhaust back on the Duc in the time to come.....I'm ok with that.
But it just won't be as COOL!!! :p

HighRoller
08-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Okay, I have to hit a few points:
Spinners: Invented by dumb ass peeps in the hood who didn't have money for gas after they bought a couple 40's. So they sat in their low rider in the driveway with one wheel jacked up and spun it so they would feel like they were cruising. The idea caught on.
Loud Pipes: Are for attn hores. Ever notice the amount of times the guy with the loud pipes has to shoot a rev? About 2 times a second. Gotta make sure everyone's looking. Loud pipes won't save your life any faster than refusing to wear a helmet, moron. Fart cans are for people with cars that can't get attention for being fast, so what other option is there? 8000RPM in first gear through the intersection at 7mph. Impressive. See all that Jap writing on the hood? That's the name of his chiropractor.
No matter how loud your rig is, there's always one out there half as loud and twice as fast. Live with it.

JustMVG
08-19-2004, 03:23 PM
But out on the water is one thing, and i love the sound of some of the blown boats at WOT and OT exhaust always give me the chills reminds me of when i was kid, burns and all!! :cool: But when your neighborhood is inundated with thes Ricers and all you hear are the buzzing hornets, honestly could you have a Formula One Race going on in your backyard everyday we have a long straight stretch the guys use every other night for racing, after 2 am it's a bit on the loud side and very annoying, i'll bet if i fired up my boat at 2 am i'd hear about it. And we have the kids who all seem to have those pocket bikes, but you can't see these kids and i darn near took one out the other day on my bike, i'm doing 15mph and the kid had to be doing 30, cuts the apex on the corner and if i hadn't cut wide like i always do hed have been hurt bad , kid no pads no helmet shorts and a tank top. Miike VG

CA Stu
08-19-2004, 03:36 PM
There's a time and place for most things is absolutely right, and the original post was about noisy motor vehicle exhausts on the street. Once again, noise doesn't equal power. Noise = noise.
As far as boat noise, I enjoy that as much as any red blooded American. As long as you aren't "tweaking your carb" on your jet boat for an hour at midnight right behind my house because you're drunk, go for it.
Hey Duc, I had a 94 M900 Monster with blown out Two Brothers large oval CF pipes. You think your bike is loud? That baby was loud, but everyone loved the hell out of it.
I bought it that way, ended up selling it because it was just a bit too much work to ride, and it was too loud. Since bought a faster, way quieter, easier to ride streetbike. Granted, it doesn't get the looks my Duc did, nor does it have that Italian cachet, but I feel no need to pose on my bike in front of Starbucks being an attention gigolo.
I don't think that many of the super-loud Harleys have many miles on them, but I may be wrong.
Gnarley makes my argument for me, thanks man.
Thanks
CA Stu <-- fan of sleepers

MAINEVENT
08-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Geez I did not mean to stirr ish up.. But really It is a free world you can buy anything you want and can afford to make your car, bike, boat, etc... as loud or as quiet as you want!!!!! And as far as being considerate goes there is a difference on being considerate and being a jack a$$ and just because i have an exhaust system on my sub or whatever does not make me INconsiderate or a jack ass, Granted i am not cruis'n thru a small culdesac with my stereo blarring at 2am but you might hear my truck big deal :devil: All i am saying is you live in a CITY you dont like it move far away by your self where their is no one around you, People have to just chill, relax, and quit worrying about other people's shit and just worry about your own and have a cup of :coffeycup with some alchohol if you need it..
Gnarley..... Yeah my kids did not just pick up the habit on sleeping through noise that was tought, only for the reason that in this life they are gonna be times where everyone is not gonna be quiet just for them to sleep and not be bothered, So its a learned behavior....Not a gift!!!

dgie
08-19-2004, 04:54 PM
I would like to reiterate that there is a time and place for everything. My boat has OT headers and is loud as hell ON THE LAKE. I mentioned I live in an apartment and even though I say I would bring it here and fire it up at 2 am just to get even, I wouldn't. Because I am sure there are others here who are probably laying in bed like me thinking the same thing as I am. Something along the lines of "I wish those people in those loud rice burners would DIE" :burningm:
MainEvent you mentioned that if you live in the city you have to deal with it.....Why? Don't I deserve the same right and consideration that I am showing you by allowing you to sleep? What if you lived here for say 5 years (which is how long I have lived at this apartment) and some guy moves in next door and fires up his boat at 2 am, do you think that would be fair? ,,,once again there is a time and a place for everything. As far as my apartments goes I talked to the apartment staff today and told them I am moving out. For me it is easy to move, I live in an apartment. I couldn't imagine owning a house and having to put it up for sale for the same reason, but I am sure some do. This may be why (as mentioned above) why some housing communities are adopting standards and laws through associations, only because they have too, not because they want too. Thats the last point I am going to make on this subject. I am Starting to think I am beating a dead horse by rehashing it :hammerhea
One thing I will miss at this apartment, is checking out that new girl that moved in across the way, she looks kind of like Bre :D

gnarley
08-19-2004, 05:59 PM
All i am saying is you live in a CITY you dont like it move far away by your self where their is no one around you, People have to just chill, relax, and quit worrying about other people's shit and just worry about your own and have a cup of :coffeycup with some alchohol if you need it.
Actually if you make noise you should be the one who moves as far away as possible!
I would venture to guess that those of us who make noise or like to make noise are a minority. If you don't take responsibility for your actions someone else will in time by passing laws. You make the perfect argument that the wacko groups love to hear. Noise pollution is no different than second hand cigarette smoke, in that people who don't smoke were forced to breath someone else’s smoke. Noise is no different don't you get it? You might enjoy it but there are lots of other people who don't, so you are in fact forcing your lifestyle on them without giving them a choice. In time you will loose due to arrogance and than there will be some law passed due to people like you that says you cannot enhance the noise of your vehicle beyond a factory allowable spec. The bottom line is that in many cases enhancing your vehicles exhaust does nothing more than make it louder.

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks
CA Stu
Well I guess you'll have to say it to yourself, because my loud a$$ suburban has plenty of power and so does the stereo system so I won't be able to hear you.
Oh FYI my husband has loud pipes on everything he owns and also has a huge d***, so I guess your theories are a little off about loud pipes and small organs ;)[/QUOTE]
You tell him Mrs Mainevent :)

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-19-2004, 07:28 PM
Okay, I have to hit a few points:
Spinners: Invented by dumb ass peeps in the hood who didn't have money for gas after they bought a couple 40's. So they sat in their low rider in the driveway with one wheel jacked up and spun it so they would feel like they were cruising. The idea caught on.
Loud Pipes: Are for attn hores. Ever notice the amount of times the guy with the loud pipes has to shoot a rev? About 2 times a second. Gotta make sure everyone's looking. Loud pipes won't save your life any faster than refusing to wear a helmet, moron. Fart cans are for people with cars that can't get attention for being fast, so what other option is there? 8000RPM in first gear through the intersection at 7mph. Impressive. See all that Jap writing on the hood? That's the name of his chiropractor.
No matter how loud your rig is, there's always one out there half as loud and twice as fast. Live with it.
I prefer not to wear a helmet and I have loud pipes. I also don't consider myself a ****ing moron. One other thing...I AM NOT an attention *****. Sorry to burst your bubble HR. Pretty opinionated aren't you? painting such a broad picture of everybody like that shows a closed mind in my OPINION.

HighRoller
08-19-2004, 07:33 PM
I've never believe a vehicle's speed is a result of its noise. Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins explained it very well. He was correct in deaming noise as "energy", and theorized when you let this energy out of your engine prematurely it hurt your power. Racing engines, of course, are designed to run with open exhaust. But Flowmaster proved that a high performance street engine is actually FASTER with a high flow muffler than open pipes. "Scavenging" and "Backpressure" are very important to an engine's power curve.
That said, the only thing more impressive than a really loud fast car is a really fast quiet one. If you show up at the dragstrip in a stock looking car and run a single digit, people will gravitate to your car very quickly. And if you refuse to open the hood? They will go crazy!

JustDawn
08-19-2004, 07:38 PM
uh,Cal stu,
"noise for the sake of noise is gay"???
Put the contraband away,American thunder,be it an American V-8 or a Harley,is quite simply as good as it gets...

SHOCKWAVETOM
08-19-2004, 07:40 PM
I've never believe a vehicle's speed is a result of its noise. Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins explained it very well. He was correct in deaming noise as "energy", and theorized when you let this energy out of your engine prematurely it hurt your power. Racing engines, of course, are designed to run with open exhaust. But Flowmaster proved that a high performance street engine is actually FASTER with a high flow muffler than open pipes. "Scavenging" and "Backpressure" are very important to an engine's power curve.
That said, the only thing more impressive than a really loud fast car is a really fast quiet one. If you show up at the dragstrip in a stock looking car and run a single digit, people will gravitate to your car very quickly. And if you refuse to open the hood? They will go crazy!
Yes, back pressure does increase preformance

Boozer
08-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Hows this for a fart can powered car? (http://www.shepracing.com/videos/shep876.avi)
Still has all carpet and most of the factory interior intact. Street legal too. Drive it to the track, on the track, from the track.

HighRoller
08-19-2004, 07:52 PM
I prefer not to wear a helmet and I have loud pipes. I also don't consider myself a ****ing moron. One other thing...I AM NOT an attention *****. Sorry to burst your bubble HR. Pretty opinionated aren't you? painting such a broad picture of everybody like that shows a closed mind in my OPINION.
Not a closed mind, just common sense. Like MVG said, due to the doppler effect, you can't hear a bike until AFTER it has passed you. "Quiet pipes save ears".....
I wasn't knocking your decision not to wear a helmet. I personally don't think it's the government's job to tell you to apply common sense in this case. BUT, those who say a helmet is a "bad" thing are morons and I have the stats and anecdotal evidence to back it up. My Dad scraped many guys off the street who didn't wear em' in his 36 years as a fireman. Secondly, if helmets are so bad, why do guys who race wear them? Are they stupid? Say the AMA removed the helmet rules. How many guys would race without them? Not many, I bet...
Opinionated? Nice catch, Sherlock! Saying I"m opinionated is like saying the earth is round....everyone has known that secret for a while! And I don't feel bad about supposedly being "closed minded", because any time you become too open minded your brains fall out :220v:

Boozer
08-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes, back pressure does increase preformance
Not in all applications, especially forced induction engines.

HighRoller
08-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Actually Boozer, it gets down to splitting hairs at that point. You have to take into consideration tube length, bend, size and collector design. The problem is that most really efficient designs wouldn't fit in a car. But there is a set of headers out there(top secret) that actually INCREASED torque in a 1000HP blown Big-Block over short pipes. They were custom made and wouldn't fit in a car but they did fit in a race boat!

CrazyHippy
08-20-2004, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE= i unhooked the slip-on's on my Suzuki, just to make a point, ran earplugs, full faced helmet, and still had a headache in less than a mile.
BJH
Heck even I'll agree with ya about that! Who wants to hear a 600 lb weed wacker (without mufflers) :rolleyes: :D[/QUOTE]
600# my rectum... try 4teens and it's a v-twin.... nice try though
It's a TL1000S. water cooled, 1000cc's, 11,000 rpm, over 100hp (now) and lotsa tq too :D
It's pretty damned loud w/ the mufflers, but it's ungodly loud open. :messedup:
BJH

coolchange
08-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Can someone explain the logic of taking a $40,000 'Burb' or Tahoe or what ever, that was designed by engineers at multi billion dollar companys, with 200#'s of sound deadener and design stratigies to make it comfortable, then adding $4000 in sound equipment to make it a killer road trip vehicle, then putting loud, mind numbing exhaust on it?

gnarley
08-20-2004, 08:25 AM
Can someone explain the logic of taking a $40,000 'Burb' or Tahoe or what ever, that was designed by engineers at multi billion dollar companys, with 200#'s of sound deadener and design stratigies to make it comfortable, then adding $4000 in sound equipment to make it a killer road trip vehicle, then putting loud, mind numbing exhaust on it?
Great point! I totally agree! The new sound system is so loud they'll never hear the exhaust that they made louder for everyone else to hear. It's people like these that need attention, it's like they are saying look at me I got the jams and the bling. Who gives a F*ck they are not cool, cool peeps don't need the attention. Cool peeps are self confident and don't need to address everyone by forcing them listen to their music or exhaust.

havalen
08-20-2004, 08:43 AM
tou think that is bad you should live in havasu and have all them damm loud boats going up down the lake now thats real music.bet you wish you were me ha ha :D :D :D :D

wantacat
08-20-2004, 09:32 AM
Im guilty of a loud car, but its music to my ears. Its also not no freakin rice burner, which i hate. Ive even been pulled over by a police officer and he asked me what was done to my SS Camaro because it sounded nice!:D:D go figure...

Dave C
08-20-2004, 10:06 AM
sure there is a good reason..... that is where you put your empty beer bottles. ;)
The ricer's are just plain stupid and there is absolutely no reason for the 2 1/2 inch and larger exhaust on some of them
I like loud harleys, and sounds of the Big V-8's unbaffled but I have to agree with Gnarley. We are definitely in the minority. Its the arrogance of some that flaunt it too much that gets the rest of us into trouble.
Now we have to run exhaust baffling on our boats because Kaleefornia passed a law to keep the noise down. Probably thanks to some activist that was pissed about someone flaunting it.
Nothing motivates an "activist" like someone flaunting it too much.