PDA

View Full Version : F**Cked Up Dash For CD Player!! HElp???

NOTALENT
08-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Me and a few buddies Went to install a CD Player in the boat from an old tape deck and well the original saw blade broke so a buddy used a Wood BLADE!!! TOtaly Chewed up the dash pad. IS it fixable or any aftermarket ones that can be purchased???? Please help

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2004, 08:36 PM
An upholstery shop should be able to re-cover it. Otherwise, you could make a billet plate to cover it.

NOTALENT
08-22-2004, 08:43 PM
Maybe..yeah..I will have to take it to one. See what they say..maybe they can remold one fitted for a standard cd player...totally screwed this up.

Havasu Hangin'
08-22-2004, 08:47 PM
Upholstery shops can re-do car dashes, and yours doesn't look that much harder. However, if your gonna chage the wood backing, now is the time.

ROZ
08-23-2004, 06:30 AM
That's pretty bad... Go to a reputable body shop in you area and ask them who they use for interoir vinyl and plastic repair. They should have a guy. If you buy a standard dash kit, hell be able to put the rectangular trim ring into the assembly when he rebuilds it. We use to use a guy from NewLife Vinyl repair. Those guys are really good with sem(texture) paint and can do pretty seamless repairs. What boat is that? The mfg may still have parts available for it. It may not be as expensive as you may think, for a boat. :D

NOTALENT
08-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Its for a 1994 Formula Falcon Thunderbird. They only did it a couple years. They tried to do the ski boat thing. haha..I will call and see what they say. It's my parents boat..I actually am picking up my new boat this weekend.

NOTALENT
09-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Finally got ahold of formula..they want 500 freakin dollars for this piece@!!! jerks!! Upholsters want an average of 400.. just to recover it...not even fixing it.!!! I just MEssed this crap up!! I think Im just going to cut off the right side of it use some putty to patch off the corners and dye it again.. and then put the marine stereo holder in there which should fill up the right side of the dash...what do you think???

B-Ron
09-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Sorry about the mishap. I just don't see it costing you $400 +. That piece is pretty simple to recover, I think you're looking more at $150. Take the piece off of the boat, and take it to an auto upholstery place. You might be getting over quoted just because the word Boat is being used. When we make custom kick panels and boxes and stuff, it doesn't cost us nearly that much. Not even to the end customer after we markup our cost. What area is the boat in? I'll find someone for you that can do it without you having to leave your right arm as a deposit and will most likely come to your boat.

NOTALENT
09-02-2004, 08:23 AM
I took it to eddy and son's in bellflower they quoted me 400 becuase it is a vacum type upolster where they put the vinyl on and suck it through with a machine. The Boat is in parker..But I can get this done cheap enough I would drive it down here..I have that piece at my house in long Beach. I just need it formed to where a standard cd player would fit in there snug...and not all chewed up..if you can help let me know.. thanks

Bense468
09-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Your buddy does good work. Is he for hire :rolleyes:

NOTALENT
09-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Your buddy does good work. Is he for hire :rolleyes:
Yeah but he end's up paying you..lol..I messed up letting him do this shit..lol

ROZ
09-02-2004, 10:59 AM
WOW that's expensive, new or repair! I was thinking a vinyl repair guy could do it for about half that. Call New Life Leather and Vinyl restoration. Like I said earlier, companies like this do insurance repair for bodyshops.They repair dashboards, door panels, window trim, bumpers, fabric, leather, and carpet repairs. Their number is 858-268-4401. He's down here, but he may know of someone up there who can do the task..
We don't use no stinking vac. We use heat formidable vinyl and a heatgun to work the curves onto something like that... Takes time though...

NOTALENT
09-02-2004, 12:00 PM
I will give him a shot..thanks roz..

Mandelon
09-02-2004, 12:40 PM
What is supposed to go in the whole on the left side?
I would move the stereo over there so you can see it and make it easier to get to, if you can.....
Go get two 3/16" thick aluminum plates made to cover both holes. Then recut the hole correct size for the stereo face. To make it cheaper you could do some of the legwork and make a template out of plexi or plastic and take it to a machine shop. For less $$ You could even use a piece of 1/4" plastic sheet if you had to. Shape it on a grinder or sander.......install it with some allen head screws.....
It will still be a little jerry rigged but will be decent and functional...
Good Luck.!
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5199

NOTALENT
09-02-2004, 01:22 PM
The switch panel goes on the left side for the blower, bilge etc...I was thinking about doing something like that. But on the back of the dash cover there is nothing to hold it down..I was thinking about getting a sheet of plastic and a strong adhesive..glueing to the back after I grinded down the edges..this way it fits snug..and then getting thin plastic and melting it together..as if it was a weld. and then recut the whole...well maybe cut it first...this may work??

Mandelon
09-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Just put some sort of backing bar behind it and run bolts through it. Talk to RD, he made some bitchen plates for Bubbles......

riverbound
09-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Here is how I would fix it. Go to home depot and buy some 1/4inch masonite. make a tmeplate out of cardboard that fits inside the hole. then transfer your pattern to the masonite. you can then cut anoother piece that will fit behind the dash. If your cuts are clean enough coat the pieces with some resin then sand it and paint it. once they are dry screw thwm together sandwiching the original dash. Oh yeah and make sure to use the right tools for the job. :D

NOTALENT
09-07-2004, 07:20 AM
haha..thanks alot guys I am going to try a few of these things..and hope it doesnt look to rigged.