PDA

View Full Version : 496 mag. Drive Oil leaking

bear down
08-23-2004, 07:24 AM
This weekend I heard my alarm ringing in my boat (intermintent beeping) and I noticed that my drive oil was very low. I topped it off and sure enough the beeping stopped. A couple of hours later I noticed that the drive oil was low again and fluid was all over the place. The fluid was leaking from the drive oil housing/container (which is located next to the air filter). I could not find anything wrong with the plastic container nor the hose. Everything seemed tight. When I tightened the cap (the cap only tightens to a certain point then it loosens again, it does not completely tighten). It looks like there is a breather hole on top of the cap and I was wondering if the oil was coming out of there or maybe my cap is broke. When I topped off again and after cleaning the area it did not seem leek again (it was only at idle from that time and did not go above 1000 rpm. My motor has a 120 hours on it and never had an issue with it before. I cleaned out my K&N filter on Friday night then this happened. Not sure if I move something out of place when I took the cover off the motor or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Those caps are known for leaking...there are aftermarket ones available.

OGShocker
08-23-2004, 08:09 AM
BD,
Change your caps. Rexone sells them and they work!
I hear tell of a member that had a drive oil leak this weekend. I hear it leaked like a "fountain" from the reservoir. I don't want to mention any names. He goes by ___________. PlyaPlya22 can fill in the blank. :eek:

Havasu Hangin'
08-23-2004, 08:24 AM
I hear it leaked like a "fountain" from the reservoir.
Or "leaked like a Commander"? :idea:

bear down
08-23-2004, 08:25 AM
I figured it was probably leaking from the cap. We hit some rough water coming back from the sandbar and with the reservoir not leaking when I filled it up and the boat not running, I thought it would be the cap. Hopefully that is all it is. I will going to the river this thursday night. I'll buy a new cap and if it leaks again then I'll take in to Eliminator Friday afternoon or to Savage and get it fixed.

chub
08-23-2004, 08:41 AM
The cap has been known to cause a mess. I hope that's all it is. Always nice when you don't have to spell BOAT to fix something on them.
Go PACKERS!!!

OGShocker
08-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Or "leaked like a Commander"? :idea:
NICE ONE HH!

bear down
08-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Tried to slip that one in huh??
http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/html/emoticons/259mm.gif Go PACKERS!!!