PDA

View Full Version : In truck DVD screen/players

PHX ATC
08-25-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm curious. I know several of you have some DVD screens in your trucks/cars. We have a 5" portable Audiovox DVD player that does wonders when we are driving.
I'm dabbling in the thought process of getting either some headrest DVD screens or flip-down DVD screens put in my wife's truck. Does anybody have any pros/cons, things to look out for, things you would do better or differently next time, brands, etc?
Is it worth it? I've no objection to spending the dough, but if our $300 portable will accomplish the same exact thing (which I think it will... ) then why? I dunno, just a though process we're going through... :idea:

summerlove
08-25-2004, 07:49 AM
recently added a Rosen 10.4" wide screen all in one flip in my suburban. Wireless headphones, kids can either choose to watch a movie or listen to their own music while we listen to ours. Works awesome.....
http://www.rosenentertainment.com/rosenoverheadmonitors-clearvue-II-10.4.htm
http://www.rosenentertainment.com/product/rosen/clearvue-II-10.4.jpg

Jordy
08-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Dammit Toby, you post everything on multiple forums and I always respond to the wrong one. Check your thread on RRX. :D

PHX ATC
08-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Dammit Toby, you post everything on multiple forums and I always respond to the wrong one. Check your thread on RRX. :D
I'm checking...it's hard to stay half a step ahead of you Jordy! You're quick to catch up though. :rollside:

RiverOtter
08-25-2004, 08:37 AM
Had a drop down 10" screen w/ wireless head phones installed this year in my Burb. They also installed for $100 extra a Play Station hook up located in the B pillar. The total cost was $1,500. Can't remember the name. Works great. I didn't go with the headrest units. They are small and hard to see from the 3rd seat. I've heard they have probs with the screens but that is just what I've heard.

Brewzed
08-25-2004, 09:00 AM
I have a Burb w/ 7.2" widescreens in the headrests, a 10.4 flip down and a 7" motorized in the center console where the cassette player used to be (02' model) Getting ready to do 7"er's in the visors w/ a rear view camera.
I run a DVD and a Playstation 2 with a kenwood switching system, so the kids (young and old) can choose what they want to watch. It using dual frequency headphones. If you are going to do a single video source, I suggest using a Playstation 2 instead of a DVD player. You can play DVD's or the kids can play games from the same unit. The only negative thing is that you have to add an inverter for the playstation.
Keeps the kids from doing this :hammerhea

ROZ
08-25-2004, 09:17 AM
7" headrests in all the seats with 2 or 3 sources is the way to go. I hate dropdowns(have a 7" Alpine). I like to use the rear view mirror and it totally blocks it. If you choose to go dropdown, don't go larger than 10". Remember that the tv is only about 18 in from your face and monitors larger REALLY light up the inside of your car/truck.
The playstation 2 can be converted to run 12v so you don't have to run an inverter.
Alpine has the best resolution screens, hands down.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Whatever happened to not needing this stuff in your cars for long trips? Didn't we all manage to get by on thoise long vacation trips when we were kids? Who am I kidding, I'll probbly end up getting something installed on the next vehicle, but it does seem somewhat un-necessary.

1stepcloser
08-25-2004, 11:32 AM
Whatever happened to not needing this stuff in your cars for long trips? Didn't we all manage to get by on thoise long vacation trips when we were kids?
I'm hip. A stern threat and a good crack on the ass is all the little tykes need.
We were four, two boys, two girls. We fought like ordinary siblings. My mom stopped on the side of the road once and made my brother get out of the car, and she took off. :eek: (for about 200 ft.)
Worked for us though, all it would take was a threat and we would quiet right the hell down.
Fear. Its a hell of a deterrent if you believe that theres a follow through.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-25-2004, 11:36 AM
I'm hip. A stern threat and a good crack on the ass is all the little tykes need.
We were four, two boys, two girls. We fought like ordinary siblings. My mom stopped on the side of the road once and made my brother get out of the car, and she took off. :eek: (for about 200 ft.)
Worked for us though, all it would take was a threat and we would quiet right the hell down.
Fear. Its a hell of a deterrent if you believe that theres a follow through.
Exactly! Kids nowadays seemed to be coddled too much! I'm not passing judgement on any of you that have these things in your vehicles, as I said I'll probably get one, but it just does seem that the times ahve changed yet we all made it out ok without these luxuries.
My dad made me sit up with him in the cab of the ruck so that I could get an appreciation fo what the world had to offer in aplces other than the city/suburbs. Like driving through Yosemite or Bryce Canyon, or Yellowstone, those are just things you don't see everyday and are memories that now, at 33, I truly cherish.

PHX ATC
08-25-2004, 01:00 PM
I suppose it is somewhat unnecessary, but I'm just looking for opinions on the stuff that I'm looking at. It's all unnecessary...I'd be driving a Yugo with a little tin rowboat behind it if I was fully "necessary." :rollside:
It's kind of like the thread that runs through whether or not a 13 year old should have a cell phone or not. Each person is entitled to his or her opinion.
I don't mean this thread to turn sour and take a turn towards whether or not people these days coddle their kids. I do school work (even in summer) with my daughter, play games with her, and then allow her to watch movies as well. A little of each is good for the soul.
Besides, there ain't much betwixt Phoenix and Havasu to look at that she hasn't seen for the 10th time! :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-25-2004, 01:10 PM
I agree, I don't want this to turn into something sour either. I was just making a general observation.

summerlove
08-25-2004, 01:10 PM
7" headrests in all the seats with 2 or 3 sources is the way to go. I hate dropdowns(have a 7" Alpine). I like to use the rear view mirror and it totally blocks it. If you choose to go dropdown, don't go larger than 10". Remember that the tv is only about 18 in from your face and monitors larger REALLY light up the inside of your car/truck.
The playstation 2 can be converted to run 12v so you don't have to run an inverter.
While I hate to disagree with Roz, I will have to on this one. If you are only installing one screen, it needs to be 9 or 10" in order for the third seat passangers to see it clearly. The headrest units are great if you don't have the 3rd seat, but if you do, the second seat would block the viewers from the 3rd seat, unless you added headrest monitors to each head rest which becomes expensive - add'l monitors plus addl'l video cards. The 10 is awesome and if you have a 7" screen like I had in my previous burb it also blocked the view from the rear view mirror, so really, size doesn't matter in that area. Sorry Roz.... :wink:

Jordy
08-25-2004, 01:23 PM
You just need to find a board and stick with it. :D
Oh, and what people don't like me? :D :D :D

ROZ
08-25-2004, 01:28 PM
While I hate to disagree with Roz, I will have to on this one. If you are only installing one screen, it needs to be 9 or 10" in order for the third seat passangers to see it clearly. The headrest units are great if you don't have the 3rd seat, but if you do, the second seat would block the viewers from the 3rd seat, unless you added headrest monitors to each head rest which becomes expensive - add'l monitors plus addl'l video cards. The 10 is awesome and if you have a 7" screen like I had in my previous burb it also blocked the view from the rear view mirror, so really, size doesn't matter in that area. Sorry Roz.... :wink:
You right, the 10" screen is perfect for the peeps in the 3rd row. The kids in the 2nd row must wear sunglasses at night. There's a song in there somewhere. Those 10" screens are bright...
Good inexpensive setup would be 2 drop downs. 1 for the front and one in the back...

summerlove
08-25-2004, 02:21 PM
You right, the 10" screen is perfect for the peeps in the 3rd row. The kids in the 2nd row must wear sunglasses at night. There's a song in there somewhere. Those 10" screens are bright...
Good inexpensive setup would be 2 drop downs. 1 for the front and one in the back...
or two headrest in row two and a drop for row 3! Ok, now I agree with the audio/video czar Roz! ;)

PHX ATC
08-25-2004, 02:30 PM
JP - I'm not sure quite what you are talking about, being liked and all. :D
I only have one row behind the driver's seat. It's a quad cab pickup truck. Sorry, I guess I should have let that out of the bag in the first place. 2004 Dodge Quad Cab Turbo Diesel. That's momma's truck.
I don't have to worry about the third row. I never thought about using the rear view mirror...I do use it and encourage my wife to do the same, although sometimes I'm not sure. :rolleyes:
We've only one child and me to worry about when I sit back there with her. I could care less about any other passengers - if they're riding for free don't bitch if you can't see the screen.

ROZ
08-25-2004, 02:30 PM
or two headrest in row two and a drop for row 3! Ok, now I agree with the audio/video czar Roz! ;)
That combo works really well :smile:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-25-2004, 02:31 PM
I could care less about any other passengers - if they're riding for free don't bitch if you can't see the screen.
Hell yeah! :D

572Daytona
08-25-2004, 02:48 PM
I bought a $49 13" color TV, a $29 inverter, brought my $29 Apex DVD player and the Nintendo 64 and it worked great for the kids on our 2000 mile drive to Michigan and back a couple of weeks ago. The TV fit great between the 2 front captains chairs in my Suburban. As a bonus the kids could play Nintendo and watch DVD's in the hotel room as well. I guess I just don't have the disposible income that some folks do.

BoatFloating
08-25-2004, 03:15 PM
Roz, can you get the ones in the head rests already done and color matched so you don't have to use you current head rests???

ROZ
08-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Roz, can you get the ones in the head rests already done and color matched so you don't have to use you current head rests???
;) :cool: