PDA

View Full Version : So I am upgrading my speakers tonight...

Phat Matt
08-25-2004, 08:58 PM
...so they are all Infiniti's to get ready for this weekend. I get the first pair in and turn the stereo on to test it and something doesn't sound right. :confused: I must have lost a channel on my amp last time we were out and now I have to replace it too! These are the only 2 nights I have had free to work on it now I have to find another amp tomorrow. I usually get my stuff online for cheap but now I am going to have to hit up a stereo shop tomorrow. Any suggestions on a good amp that doesn't get too hot? Something in the range of 200w x 4 @ 2 ohms. I've looked up info on the Kicker KX850.4 ($364 online), KX650.4 ($275 online), and the Fosgate 801x ($329 online) and they seem like they could do the job. I know I am going to get screwed buying from a store though. :mad: Oh yeah. It will be pushing 3 pairs of Infinity Kappa 693.5's and one pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1's.
Well I guess I'll go finish putting everything in and worry about the amp tomorrow. :rolleyes:

ROZ
08-25-2004, 10:58 PM
How do plan on wiring all that up? The components and coaxials on the same channel may have caused your problem... What troubleshooting have you done? I'd run that RF before I ran the Kicker..

Phat Matt
08-26-2004, 08:47 AM
How do plan on wiring all that up? The components and coaxials on the same channel may have caused your problem... What troubleshooting have you done? I'd run that RF before I ran the Kicker..
I have 2 sets of the 6x9's running off the rear channel. The speakers are 4 ohms so at they showed a 2 ohm load on the amp which is stable at 2 ohms. The front channel has one set of 6x9's and the 5 1/4's. They also show a 2 ohms load at the amp. The problem wasn't with the front channel though. It was my right rear that went out. I've had it set up like this for a couple of years with no problems except for the amp shutting down occasionally from heat, but it's hot in Havasu! They last time I wet out I was with the boys and we ran it hard from about 10am to 2am, once the batteries finally gave out.
Any suggestions? Are you thinking I should add 2 smaller amps and run them at 4 ohms in stead of one bigger one at 2ohms?
Thanks

ROZ
08-26-2004, 09:21 AM
What amp are you currently running?

rivercrazy
08-26-2004, 09:22 AM
If that is a 4 channel amp running 8 speakers wired in parallel, your Ohm load is less than 2 ohm.....

Phat Matt
08-26-2004, 09:42 AM
What amp are you currently running?
It made by solid audio. It's the F45 900w 4 channel.
solid audio amp (http://www.dragondistributing.com/solidaudio.htm)
It's actually made by these guys.
cutting edge audio (http://www.cuttingedgeaudio.com/)

ROZ
08-26-2004, 11:04 AM
They way you're running it gets you 120x4 @ 14.4 volts... 12v is probably around 85x4. That amp is barely 2ohm stable and noisy when driven that low. Many amps that will work well for you, but 2 amps will be optimum. Heck, 2 Alipne v12 or JBL 80.4 will work well for you...

MOBrien
08-26-2004, 04:51 PM
speaking of the JBL 80.4---
that was replaced this year with the JBL GTO75.4 and is priced on ebay at ONLY $155 per unit. I just bought two of them and am waiting for delivery.
If you're price conscious, it's a bargain! Good luck.

Phat Matt
08-26-2004, 08:07 PM
Well I think I am going to go with the 2 amp set up. Now I just have to decide what I want and if I can get them locally tomorrow. When am I going to find the time to put them in since I am leaving tomorrow night? Who knows. I'm debating on ordering online now and having a one channel less system this weekend to put the stuff in next week. What sucks is I wanted to leave my boat out in Havasu cuz I am going out next weekend too. Thanks everyone for your help and especially you Roz. I owe ya a cold one. :)