PDA

View Full Version : starting problem

Ringo
08-27-2004, 06:34 AM
Please help - I just purchased a used 98 Sunbird sizzler jet boat with no manual, and was not able to start. Engine seemed like it wanted to start and would almost catch, but didn't. It turns out I wasn't using the choke properly as it is done with the key, and the boat is in the shop, and they claim engine has low compression and engine needs to be rebuilt. Please correct me if I'm wrong but low compression I believe should effect performance and horse power and would not cause the boat to not start?
Any ideas - I'm thinking maybe a bad spark plug, or the just the choke issue.
Thanks- I hate to rebuilt engine if I don't have to.

scarabrick2
08-27-2004, 06:39 AM
I would give it a tune up first. or a least check the tune up. do a compression check yourself it easy and the guage doesn't cost that much.
All you need is fuel,comp,spark.
Does it have fresh gas good plugs how's the cap and rotor.
Get proof that all these things are good before you spend the dough.
Have them perform the comp check in front of you. note the readings and check them with there service manual.
Rick

racecar.hotshoe
08-27-2004, 06:39 AM
first off did the person you got the boat from start it for you?

roostwear
08-27-2004, 06:48 AM
I would ask them for the compression readings by cylinder. I assume it's a v8... they should have logged each cylinder with it's reading. Also, ask if they performed a leakdown test. Compression test in itself, only tells part of the story. If they don't have the readings, I would hook 'er up and tow her out. :D

Bre
08-27-2004, 06:51 AM
Don't you hate when you get a new boat and it doesn't start :cry:
Our brand new motor had a bad starter and alternator :yuk:
We had to pay for new ones ourself. :notam:
Good luck whatever the problem is..... hope you get her running soon so you can enjoy it :cool: