PDA

View Full Version : I'm Glad The US Men's Basketball Team Lost Today

MagicMtnDan
08-27-2004, 11:34 AM
Maybe it will send a message to the NBA that their shite DOES stink! Basketball's a great game but the NBA players don't know how to play it anymore (sad).
ATHENS, Greece - Bronze is the best the American menÂ’s basketball team can do, and the reason is simple: They were beaten by a better team, Argentina.
Manu Ginobili scored 29 points to lead his nation to another victory over the country that used to dominate the sport, an 89-81 win in the Olympic semifinals Friday night.
For the first time since 1988, the gold medal will not go to the Americans. And for the first time since pro players were added for the original Dream Team in 1992, the United States will not be the Olympic champion.

eliminatedsprinter
08-27-2004, 11:41 AM
It's sad that we didn't bring our best. Much of the blame should go to the coach. Don't tell me none of the good outside shooters in the league were willing to go. :rolleyes:

rrrr
08-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I watched a few minutes at lunch. No defense at all. The stars figured their greatly superior :rolleyes: offensive capabilities would carry the day.
Choosing Brown as the coach was a stupid idea. He sucks. Now he can quit and go home like he always does.

eliminatedsprinter
08-27-2004, 11:50 AM
I watched a few minutes at lunch. No defense at all. The stars figured their greatly superior :rolleyes: offensive capabilities would carry the day.
Choosing Brown as the coach was a stupid idea. He sucks. Now he can quit and go home like he always does.
I agree, no outside shooting and lousy defense will kill you fast in the international game...

totenhosen
08-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Sure he sucks he has only won a championship at every level of the game :rolleyes: And most recently with the Pistons.

carbonmarine
08-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Come 'on..... Greece, Multi Millionaire, Famous, NBA playaz, Nite clubs that dont get going til midnite..... Yeah these guy's were prepapred. Prepapred to fail.
Basketball was not their prime motivator over there ... All that sweet European PUZZY was......... No frigg'in way they showed up to ball against
a bunch of teams who's sole impetus was to beat USA ...
Rick32 :o

Havasu_Dreamin
08-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Nice patriotism! To be glad that that your country lost is just lame! Granted they are bunch overpaid whiners and they were not the best that we could have sent, but that still does not make me glad that they lost.

eliminatedsprinter
08-27-2004, 12:03 PM
Sure he sucks he has only won a championship at every level of the game :rolleyes: And most recently with the Pistons.
I have always felt he was somewhat overated. Be he still knows more about b-ball than I ever want to. Nevertheless, it seems quite odd that he didn't bring any of the better outside shooters to an event where the 3 point line is in so close. Oh well, perhaps this slap will motivate the NBA to send it's better players this time. My hat is off to Duncan and Iverson for going when the other superstars flaked. I'll tell you what, the teams we play in four years are in for such a whooping. The NBA will be very anxious to prove that they are still the worlds best....

totenhosen
08-27-2004, 12:06 PM
I have always felt he was somewhat overated. Be he still knows more about b-ball than I ever want to. Nevertheless, it seems quite odd that he didn't bring any of the better outside shooters to an event where the 3 point line is in so close.
It was primarily USA Basketball that picked the team of which he is a member of. It wasn't entirely his decision.

eliminatedsprinter
08-27-2004, 12:26 PM
It was primarily USA Basketball that picked the team of which he is a member of. It wasn't entirely his decision.
Good point.
And shame on the great players who passed it up. I can understand why some of the players who played in the finals didn't go. Many of them were dinged up and missing their whole offseason could get them badly hurt and shorten their careers. But there were lots of very good stars who's seasons ended sooner and could have been there. Many of the great players, who went on past dream teams, said it was an incredible experience and that they were glad they went. I remember some of our future hall of famers were going around with camera's and taking pictures like it was their very first real game. Now most of our stars won't even go, what gives??
In most sports the athelets want to go so bad they will play or run for any team that will take them and these guys blow it off.
A long time ago I learned to not let the outcome of any sporting event get my shorts all in a bunch. But the attitude of this current crop of "NBA Stars" is far from the best I've seen...

totenhosen
08-27-2004, 12:39 PM
I think part of the reason is that to NBA players the true best team in the world is the one that wins the NBA championship.

eliminatedsprinter
08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
I think part of the reason is that to NBA players the true best team in the world is the one that wins the NBA championship.
In the minds of many, this may have just changed. ;)

totenhosen
08-27-2004, 01:03 PM
In the minds of many, this may have just changed. ;)
not really. I would like to see a true world club champion. Like the best of the NBA play the Euro clubs the way they do in soccer. Even though the NBA teams should rock them it would still be fun.

Moe_Havi
08-27-2004, 01:14 PM
It would be interesting to see if an existing NBA team went to Greece, how they would perform? The "all stars" really have much time working together.
Moe

MagicMtnDan
08-27-2004, 03:28 PM
I can't believe someone would say I'm not patriotic because I'm gald our collection of way overpaid, under-performing, non-patriotic BALL PLAYERS lost in the Olympics.
And I'm surprised some of you are blaming Larry Brown. I think Larry Brown is one of the all-time best basketball coaches ever. The team lost because (a) they can't shoot high school three pointers, (b) they can't shoot free throws, (c) they can't play defense, (d) they don't want to be coached, and (e) for the most part they aren't motivated by anything (since they have more money than most banks).
I'm hoping the NBA will invite Argentina to play in the league this year (Manu Ginobili their star, is already playing in the NBA) and show the rest of the league that a TEAM plays much better than a bunch of overpaid ballplayers. :D :D :D

totenhosen
08-27-2004, 03:39 PM
I can't believe someone would say I'm not patriotic because I'm gald our collection of way overpaid, under-performing, non-patriotic BALL PLAYERS lost in the Olympics.
And I'm surprised some of you are blaming Larry Brown. I think Larry Brown is one of the all-time best basketball coaches ever. The team lost because (a) they can't shoot high school three pointers, (b) they can't shoot free throws, (c) they can't play defense, (d) they don't want to be coached, and (e) for the most part they aren't motivated by anything (since they have more money than most banks).
I'm hoping the NBA will invite Argentina to play in the league this year (Manu Ginobili their star, is already playing in the NBA) and show the rest of the league that a TEAM plays much better than a bunch of overpaid ballplayers. :D :D :D
It is exactly why a team like Princeton can beat a far athletically superior team like UCLA.

XtrmWakeborder
08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Umm personally i'm not glad they lost, it kinda sucks we didnt send our best TEAM. I blame it on the people who picked the team based upon big names instead of the best players that would work together. I seriously think we should send that years ncaa champs to the olympics..i bet theyd love to represent the US

ROZ
08-27-2004, 03:51 PM
The bummer is that there were a few top defensive players who wanted to go and were waiting for the US Olympic team coaches to call..... :220v:

eliminatedsprinter
08-27-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm one who says L. Brown has to take some of the Blame. He had a role in selecting that team. Like I said above, there must have been some good shooters who were willing to go. He should have insisted that USA basketball get him some. He could have got some from the CBA, Streetball leagues, or even the Globetrotters, if none of the NBA shooters would go. What were they thinking when they went there, with that close in 3 point line, without outside shooters and no good perimeter defenders.
I also give Coach Brown credit. He is the coach of the NBA champs and a star coach. He, like Tim D. and Alan I., didn't let thier star status keep them from going. For that he should get some respect. He and team USA did however, make an obvious tactical mistake in selecting this squad.
And if I was his team waterboy I'd tell him so. ;) ;) Right after I finished my first year of thanking him for taking me along!! :D ;)

JetBoatRich
08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
He did have little input on the team :hammer2: to bad the first string players did not have time to go :mad: we would have had a better chance :eek:
The sports talk shows are all eating it up :hammerhea kinda funny how we are expected to win, the other teams are better and accept it :eek:

rrrr
08-27-2004, 05:38 PM
And I'm surprised some of you are blaming Larry Brown.
Yeah, he has won big titles. But the fact that Puerto Rico and Argentina beat a team of NBA all stars tells you how poorly prepared he was. He didn't do his homework, let the team play Manhatten playground ball, and they got smoked.
All of his sideshow antics over the years have convinced me he ain't that great.

rmylek
08-27-2004, 05:49 PM
I can't believe you guys are blaming the coach for the loss. Was he out there dribblin the taken shots, I think not. the players are the ones on the court. If the team lost they are the ones that lost it not the coach. Also alot of the better player did not want to play in the olympics. Where's Kobe, Shak, and others. Sorry to rant but thats the way I feel when people try to blame coaches for the way a team played.

throwerb
08-27-2004, 07:18 PM
I was also sorry to see us lose, but not suprised. These other teams play together all the time. I think we should send the NBA champions, I'm not a Detroit fan but they would have killed these guys today, just like they beat the Lakers.

totenhosen
08-27-2004, 08:12 PM
Yeah, he has won big titles. But the fact that Puerto Rico and Argentina beat a team of NBA all stars tells you how poorly prepared he was. He didn't do his homework, let the team play Manhatten playground ball, and they got smoked.
All of his sideshow antics over the years have convinced me he ain't that great.
coaches always gt the blame when the team loses it's never the players fault. And when the team wins it's because the players played a good game.

Kilrtoy
08-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Not Larry Browns fault,
its those piece of shit players fault.
maybe every one will listen to what I have been saying for years THEY SUCK and only care about themselves and book books

cigarette1
08-27-2004, 10:52 PM
Nice patriotism! To be glad that that your country lost is just lame! Granted they are bunch overpaid whiners and they were not the best that we could have sent, but that still does not make me glad that they lost.
Agree ... WTF is that about .. he's glad they lost ... sounds like something a looser would say :mad:

MagicMtnDan
08-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Agree ... WTF is that about .. he's glad they lost ... sounds like something a looser would say :mad:
Nah, a loser is someone who can't spell "loser" :rollside:

ratso
08-28-2004, 10:12 AM
Nah, a loser is someone who can't spell "loser" :rollside:
Ouch...good one MMD :D

Ion
08-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Maybe it will send a message to the NBA that their shite DOES stink! Basketball's a great game but the NBA players don't know how to play it anymore (sad).
And...why in the hell do they (whoever they are) keep referring to the bums as the "Dream Team"? IMO there was only ONE Dream Team. The original pro-olympic team that had MJ, Magic, Pippen, Barkley, Malone, Stockton, et.al on it. The first and only Dream Team!