PDA

View Full Version : Muffler suggestions?

goneboatin
08-27-2004, 04:16 PM
I've got a an '04 Chevy with the 6.0 Dogtec engine. Have any you guys out there put a muffler on that has a little rumble, but don't have to turn down the radio to carry on a conversation at freeway speeds? Don't even suggest Magnaflow, I had on my other truck and it's loudest was right at cruising speed 1800 to 2300 rpm, about 60 to 85 mph. It drove me nuts. I pulled that off and installed a Dynomax super turbo. I was a mellower sound, but at freeway speeds you couldn't carry on a converstion with the radio on. I do like it quiet, but a little rumble wouldn't be bad.

PHX ATC
08-27-2004, 07:58 PM
Flowmaster.

Jordy
08-27-2004, 10:57 PM
I'd run with the Gibson if it were me. ;)
Wait, I am me. And I run a Gibson on my truck so I'm ok says me. :D

Uplink
08-28-2004, 02:29 AM
I have a Flowmaster cat-back system, on my GMC Sierra, w/3" pipe. I first tried the "50 series" muffler, it was too loud, and annoying, so I switched the the "70 Series", and it was PERFECT, a nice, mellow, sound. Also replaced my air filer w/a K&N element, together they work great. Mark
Flowmaster Link (http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/cgi-bin/flowmaster/70series.html?id=UsL7LopX)

goneboatin
08-28-2004, 06:45 AM
I asked about the 70 series Flowmaster, but alot of the muffler shops say the Flowmasters "delta flow" systems in the muffers come apart and then rattle. Then they push me to the Magnaflow p.o.s. -- there must be a huge profit margin on those things. I wish the mufflers had a 30 day test drive, 'cause I hate to pay to have a muffler that sounds great when you start up the truck and drive off to the freeway, then after about 20 minutes of the constant droning, you think what the hell did I do, this is annoying as hell.

Maxey
08-28-2004, 07:35 AM
I've got a an '04 Chevy with the 6.0 Dogtec engine. Have any you guys out there put a muffler on that has a little rumble, but don't have to turn down the radio to carry on a conversation at freeway speeds? Don't even suggest Magnaflow, I had on my other truck and it's loudest was right at cruising speed 1800 to 2300 rpm, about 60 to 85 mph. It drove me nuts. I pulled that off and installed a Dynomax super turbo. I was a mellower sound, but at freeway speeds you couldn't carry on a converstion with the radio on. I do like it quiet, but a little rumble wouldn't be bad.
I have a 03' Silverado with the 8.1L/Allison. I installed a Gibson Dual Sport and am very happy with both the "fit" and "mellow" sound.

Lightning
08-28-2004, 09:03 AM
Don't forget about Bassani Exhaust, they make some awesome exhaust systems. Just the right rumble, not too loud, not too much ressonance.

Toomstone
08-28-2004, 09:13 AM
i often ride with someone who has a gibson swept side exhaust. it has a real nice sound and only gets annoying when he goes up the huge hill he lives on.
Toomstone :crossx: