PDA

View Full Version : Remote wire

phebus
08-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Is the remote wire that goes from the head unit to the amps a 12V lead? I want to wire up some cooling fans, and would like to tap off of it, if it is, so the fans will turn on and off with the amps.

Havasu Hangin'
08-29-2004, 02:59 PM
You can use that lead, but I'd hook up a relay just in case you exceed the current draw of the remote wire.
The only other thing to be careful of is not to induce noise into the system. If you put it on a stand-alone circuit (like using a temperature or separate switch), you may have less chance of some humming noise.
I'd wire them up and turn the system on (before installing) just to be safe.

ROZ
08-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Exactly. Wire up a bosch relay. Make sure you have a good ground and fuse the constant 12v. You could wire the new(from relay) 12 constant to a fused terminal strip to run a few new accessories if you want... Just make sure to fuse it all correctly.. Relay is about 4.00... repairing a 12v remote is about 100.00 :smile:

phebus
08-29-2004, 03:32 PM
O.K. thanks. I was going to wire the cooling fans right off the remote wire, but now I will just use it to trip the relay, and grab the 12v from another source.

phebus
08-30-2004, 07:17 AM
If you put it on a stand-alone circuit (like using a temperature or separate switch), you may have less chance of some humming noise.
A temperature switch would be a waste of money. I am running RF amps, so the fans would always be on anyway!! :D