PDA

View Full Version : Noise Tickets?

prosthogod
08-30-2004, 09:35 AM
So, has anyone recieved a noise ticket in the past couple of weeks? Is LE really monitoring or is it all talk?

nmboats
08-30-2004, 09:43 AM
No noise tickets here in NM.

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2004, 10:23 AM
No tickets here but I'm now legal.

dicudmore
08-30-2004, 10:25 AM
not recently, but I was the proud recipient of one memorial weekend.... :cry:

prosthogod
08-30-2004, 10:36 AM
dicudmore, are you legal now, and if so , what did you do. I'm headin to da zoo friday and really don't want to get pulled over.

dicudmore
08-30-2004, 10:38 AM
have not done anything yet, I think those Rex silencers are gonna be the answer.
my 496HO was only 4 db over the limit so I've left it alone for now.
It was at lake mead and I was the only boat around the fish-cop at the time.
I would think you'd have no probs at havasu so long as you're not doing anything to draw attention to yourself like revving under the bridge...
I think havasu_dreamin' put the rex silencers on his boat. He was over 100 db (limit 88)
Hope you have a great time at the zoo :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2004, 11:49 AM
have not done anything yet, I think those Rex silencers are gonna be the answer.
my 496HO was only 4 db over the limit so I've left it alone for now.
It was at lake mead and I was the only boat around the fish-cop at the time.
I would think you'd have no probs at havasu so long as you're not doing anything to draw attention to yourself like revving under the bridge...
I think havasu_dreamin' put the rex silencers on his boat. He was over 100 db (limit 88)
Hope you have a great time at the zoo :cool:
Dicudmore is right, on one Radio Shack db meter we were just over 100. On another, most likely more expensive and probably more accurate meter, we were at 96. After adding the Rex Silencers we are at 88. The Rex Silencers not only look great but they work!

NOTALENT
08-30-2004, 12:26 PM
Are they checking this weekend at havasu??? I beleive im over but I need to get a meter.

prosthogod
08-30-2004, 12:47 PM
I have a 496ho with through transom. I guess the real question would be, how do you find out if your illegal before it's too late.

NOTALENT
08-30-2004, 01:06 PM
yeah..really..
dicudmore how much was the ticket?? and was it just a fix it ticket??

Havasu_Dreamin
08-30-2004, 01:13 PM
496 with thru transom exhaust that exits above the waterline at idle I assure you that you are over the CA law which goes into effect on January 1, 2005. Remember the AZ law which is the one the marina will start enforcing, have yet to figure out how they as a non-law enforcement agent of the state can do that, is 86 DB at 50 ft.

dicudmore
08-30-2004, 01:17 PM
I can tell you my 496HO w/through transom above water exhaust measured 92.8 db at idle....
limit is 88
We're close, but illegal :cry:
EDIT... $110

NOTALENT
08-30-2004, 01:32 PM
well shit..my 454 above water line should pass then...just a stock 454 mild cam.

Essex502
08-31-2004, 06:23 AM
well shit..my 454 above water line should pass then...just a stock 454 mild cam.
Nope...You'll fail too. Most any motor that exits above the water with no muflers will fail the new California regs going into effect January 1. The AZ law is 86 db(A) at 50' like mentioned above but at ANY throttle opening - not just idle - so that if your exhaust is below the water line at idle (like mine) but when the boat is on plane the exhaust (again like mine) is above the water line then you will probably fail the AZ test as well.
Remember...CA also has a second standard - the shoreline test and we haven't tried to measure against that yet.
BTW...for those that are interested in buying a relatively inexpensive noise meter - Radio Shack has a digital meter for about $45 bucks. It's also excellent for balancing your speaker system for your home theater.

Rexone
08-31-2004, 01:47 PM
I have a 496ho with through transom. I guess the real question would be, how do you find out if your illegal before it's too late.
From the testing we've done I can pretty much guarantee you will be in the 90's or more depending on exhaust configuration. Even the 454 above will likely not pass. We did not find even one application with open exhaust that would pass the 88 dBA J2005 test. It is a tough test @ only 39" from the transom.
The J1970 CA shoreline test mentioned above will require some common sense on the part of the boater I believe since it is pretty vague. If you drive by LE at WOT @ 50 feet for example you may not pass. Of course you might get cited for reckless operation first... ;) I actually do not think they'll use the J1970 type test much for canvassing. That will likely be more likely employed when they see a boat that is obviously too loud to the ear. They point the meter and whamo, gotcha (since there is no distance requirement AND it can be administered from a platform, not necessarily the shore).