PDA

View Full Version : F250 Problem's.....

lewiville
08-30-2004, 01:19 PM
anyone have a lifted f250. this is my second one and i figure out where the shutter is coming from off the start. is there some kind of secret that you need to do? every time i come off the line there is a shutter that feels like it is coming from the drive line, or is it even the trans, WTF. any ideas

phuggit
08-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Dan,
You would probably get more responses to this in the Tow Rig section. My second bit of advice is don't lift your next truck.

Jetdriver
08-30-2004, 01:32 PM
My second bit of advice is don't lift your next truck.
BORING! You must be an old man! :D

LAVEYSABRE575
08-30-2004, 01:35 PM
take it back to were you had it lifted, they need to lengthen the drive line...no big deal....

Mrs. Restless22
08-30-2004, 01:37 PM
We have a lifted 04' f250 that does the same thing.
Not sure where its coming from, but its very annoying!
Im thinking we will just take it back to where we had lift it? :argue: :D

phuggit
08-30-2004, 01:45 PM
JD,
My last truck was lifted. Nothing but problems. Then the grand finale was the front passenger wheel/rotor coming off on the dry lake bed near Amboy. Not my idea of a fun ride, plus waiting an hour and a half for a tow truck.

djunkie
08-30-2004, 01:47 PM
I would have the driveline angle checked. If blocks were used to lift the rear you have to make sure you use the angled ones. And after that you still have to check the angle becuase sometimes they're not perfect. May need to shim it or something. Also if the angled ones were use make sure they're not backwards, that would definately cause a vibration.

shadow
08-30-2004, 01:54 PM
anyone have a lifted f250. this is my second one and i figure out where the shutter is coming from off the start. is there some kind of secret that you need to do? every time i come off the line there is a shutter that feels like it is coming from the drive line, or is it even the trans, WTF. any ideas
Look at your driveshaft where the two pieces slide together,under the rubber boot.seperate it and use blue teflon grease part #D2az-19590-a ford part.
pack that slip yoke full of the grease and put it back in.solves alot of vibration,drive shaft concerns.unless you have some big angle problems.

dave186
08-30-2004, 01:59 PM
does it have lift blocks? it might be spring wrap.

Bryan Rose
08-30-2004, 02:00 PM
I have an F-350 Dually.... No shutter but go here www.thedieselstop.com
Mant good members and more info about your truck than you would ever want to know.
If I remember correctly , what you are experiening is from the slip yoke from tranny or tansfer case not having enough lube .....causes slight binding then a shudder upon take off.
Bryan

lewiville
08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
Look at your driveshaft where the two pieces slide together,under the rubber boot.seperate it and use blue teflon grease part #D2az-19590-a ford part.
pack that slip yoke full of the grease and put it back in.solves alot of vibration,drive shaft concerns.unless you have some big angle problems.
sounds like this is not a foreign problem. i cant beleve that when i take it into the dealer they cant find the problem. i had four wheel parts do it for my first truck and they had "NO CLUE"

shadow
08-30-2004, 02:05 PM
sounds like this is not a foreign problem. i cant beleve that when i take it into the dealer they cant find the problem. i had four wheel parts do it for my first truck and they had "NO CLUE"
I work at the Ford dealer we see this concern all the time.
good luck.

Mrs. Restless22
08-30-2004, 02:06 PM
I work at the Ford dealer we see this concern all the time.
good luck.
Is it only on the lifted ones??

djunkie
08-30-2004, 02:07 PM
I have an F-350 Dually.... No shutter but go here www.thedieselstop.com
Mant good members and more info about your truck than you would ever want to know.
If I remember correctly , what you are experiening is from the slip yoke from tranny or tansfer case not having enough lube .....causes slight binding then a shudder upon take off.
Bryan
Actually that usaully would cause a clunk when stopping and taking off.

djunkie
08-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Ya I will never take another vehicle to 4 wheel parts. I blew my rear end and didn't have time to fix it so I took it to them. It lasted about a month and it ate up the gears. when I took it apart it was obviuos they had no clue on what they were doing.

shadow
08-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Is it only on the lifted ones??
Both stock and lifted.

Dave C
08-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I can't believe no one has said it.......
should have bought a chevy..... ;)
sorry i had too. ;) :argue:
flame away. :boxingguy

lewiville
08-30-2004, 02:29 PM
I can't believe no one has said it.......
should have bought a chevy..... ;)
sorry i had too. ;) :argue:
flame away. :boxingguy
I would have bought a chevy bought i buy fords so cheep i cant resist. X Plan $300 below what the dealer pays for it :devil:

Dave C
08-30-2004, 02:39 PM
whatever floats your boat. ;)
sorry I don't mean to make light of your problem. Hope it works out.
I'm just making a general statement to hopefully incite a riot. :)
I will go a make fun of my friend MrsR and her Ford now! ;)

Mrs. Restless22
08-30-2004, 02:44 PM
whatever floats your boat. ;)
I will go a make fun of my friend MrsR and her Ford now! ;)
Cant make fun of me.....Ive got XPlan also :p

Riverready
08-30-2004, 02:44 PM
I would have the driveline angle checked. If blocks were used to lift the rear you have to make sure you use the angled ones. And after that you still have to check the angle becuase sometimes they're not perfect. May need to shim it or something. Also if the angled ones were use make sure they're not backwards, that would definately cause a vibration.
What he said :)

Jetdriver
08-30-2004, 02:46 PM
JD,
My last truck was lifted. Nothing but problems. Then the grand finale was the front passenger wheel/rotor coming off on the dry lake bed near Amboy. Not my idea of a fun ride, plus waiting an hour and a half for a tow truck.
I hear ya, being stuck sucks. I always had the lowered truck, had the ball joint take a shit on me in the Burbank mall parking lot. Should have seen the tow truck try to get it out of there. Not stuck in the middle of nowhere but stuck none the less. I still love the look of a big lifted truck though!

FastTimmy
08-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Hey Lewiville, how high is your lift? It's simple as this- u-joints don't run smooth they run in an ellipse or an oval. With two u-joints you can cancel the other out and you have smoothness. Add in a third u-joint and you have an issue that most install tech's can't figure out...
The problem is there stock but It is greatly accented by the increase of torque load put to the drive line with either larger tires or more power..
In a nut shell the ultimate cure is to replace one of the stock u-Joints with a constant velocity joint (cv-joint). Either the one at the carrier bearing on long beds or at the T-case on short beads. This is a very common cure that most cheap lift shops don’t tell the customer about for fear of loosing the sale. You can have the joint added at a drive line shop to a shaft you walk in with for about 300.00 bucks. Or, High angle driveline is the one I used in my truck because he sends it to you and then you send him back yours, NO down time..
Timmy
http://www.highangledriveline.com/

USMC1812
08-30-2004, 03:00 PM
I have an 8" lift on mine, the kit came with a new carrier bearing bracket to replace the stock one. What kind of list do you have? The shims or a new bracket should have come with the kit, if not you might be able to get them from Pro Comp or someone else. Either way it is an easy fix. I am sure that this is your problem unless you are hearing noise as well then, I would check the u-joints.
Hope this helps
Doug

lewiville
08-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Hey Lewiville, how high is your lift? It's simple as this- u-joints don't run smooth they run in an ellipse or an oval. With two u-joints you can cancel the other out and you have smoothness. Add in a third u-joint and you have an issue that most install tech's can't figure out...
The problem is there stock but It is greatly accented by the increase of torque load put to the drive line with either larger tires or more power..
In a nut shell the ultimate cure is to replace one of the stock u-Joints with a constant velocity joint (cv-joint). Either the one at the carrier bearing on long beds or at the T-case on short beads. This is a very common cure that most cheap lift shops don’t tell the customer about for fear of loosing the sale. You can have the joint added at a drive line shop to a shaft you walk in with for about 300.00 bucks. Or, High angle driveline is the one I used in my truck because he sends it to you and then you send him back yours, NO down time..
Timmy
http://www.highangledriveline.com/
Thanks for the info
its a 2002 super crew 4x4. 6" lift with 18's and weld's on it. dual shock ( stainsless bilsteens ) up front. the last f250 i had was 2wd and had all of the same issues because it was done at 4 wheel parts. this one was done at OUTLAW OFF ROAD in o.c. they said because of the heavy front ends on these trucks they need to be double shocked. good idea. this lift is RCB ( LOVE IT RIDE's GREAT).

Excessive Force
08-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Good responses but I think you need more shims on your carrier bearing. Your u joints are at too much of an angle. When you drop that carrier bearing it will reduce it by 90%. I hear you can never get rid of it completely. My F250 is lifted 8" with little shutter on take off. Also check out www.socaps.com

lewiville
08-30-2004, 03:06 PM
Good responses but I think you need more shims on your carrier bearing. Your u joints are at too much of an angle. When you drop that carrier bearing it will reduce it by 90%. I hear you can never get rid of it completely. My F250 is lifted 8" with little shutter on take off. Also check out www.socaps.com
thanks, but did the carrier bearing on the last truck. it was a 2001. i have a 2002 now. didnt work all it did was delay the shudder out to about 55mph instead of having it off the start. havn't tried the grease thing yet. grease helps everything :)

FastTimmy
08-30-2004, 03:08 PM
I turn 40's with a power stroke and from a dead stop to 100mph I get no hole shot shutter or high end vibration with a CV shaft done right.
The truth is out there...You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink..Well I guess you could pump his tail, But if his head is to deep you will only get MUDD... :D
Timmy

Excessive Force
08-30-2004, 03:10 PM
For what its worth how many shims do you have currently? Mine is also a 2002

Jordy
08-30-2004, 03:14 PM
So if you really want to see the problem, from the driver seat, get out of the vehicle, walk around to the front, facing the truck head on, some where, usually about chest level, you'll notice something, really jumps out at ya. Little blue oval. See it? Bingo. :D :D :D
Just playing ford lovers. :D

lewiville
08-30-2004, 03:16 PM
So if you really want to see the problem, from the driver seat, get out of the vehicle, walk around to the front, facing the truck head on, some where, usually about chest level, you'll notice something, really jumps out at ya. Little blue oval. See it? Bingo. :D :D :D
Just playing ford lovers. :D
Hey,
no coments from the peanut gallery
Funny though
:yuk:

Excessive Force
08-30-2004, 03:18 PM
I crossed over from bowtie 2 years ago. Sometimes I would almost catch myself poking fun at Fords too! Then I remember :hammerhea

Dave C
08-30-2004, 04:03 PM
we got you and hubby out numbered at least 6 to one... so your surrounded. come out with your top off...opps....i meant hands up! ;)
Cant make fun of me.....Ive got XPlan also :p