PDA

View Full Version : A New Shaq in Miami (and a New Kobe in LA)

MagicMtnDan
09-03-2004, 05:45 PM
LA got the new ethically-challenged Kobe Bryant while they allowed Shaq to leave. If you wonder who got the better deal (I say Miami did), read on:
from MSNBC:
It seems Shaquille O'Neal was serious about re-dedicating himself to becoming the dominant force in the NBA again.
O'Neal, who was traded to the Miami Heat after the Los Angeles Lakers lost in the NBA Finals in June, has lost almost 25 pounds in offseason workouts, dropping his weight to 331 pounds, the Times-Picayune reported.
The 7-foot-1 O'Neal, who weighed 355 pounds when he met with Heat president Pat Riley less than two months ago, isn't down to his target weight of 325, but all reports have him looking much slimmer and in shape than he was in the Finals.
And he's ready to show off the new O'Neal. When he presented 'Best Group Video' at the MTV Video Music Awards, he sported a sleeve-less creme-colored shirt that showed off the time time he's spent working out.
Speaking at LSU's Student-Athlete Expectation Seminar on Tuesday, he sounded ready and comfortable, both with his new team, the Lakers and his re-dedication to basketball.
"No earthly thing can bother me because I'm at peace with myself," O'Neal told the paper. "I have no hard feelings (toward the Lakers). It's a business.
"I've always been the type of player to do what I'm told to do," he said of the weight loss. "The Lakers wanted me to lift (and build muscle mass). I'll be 325 or below when I report to camp."

framer1
09-03-2004, 08:01 PM
If you believe that I have some ocean front property in Arizona to sell :yuk:

boater72
09-03-2004, 08:13 PM
You think he will make any free throws now? If he just would have been in shape all the years he played for the Lakers think what kind of team they would be now!

Dr. Eagle
09-03-2004, 08:46 PM
I like you think that Miami got the best deal out of that transaction...

dmontzsta
09-03-2004, 08:54 PM
haha.
Even if Shaq were to get in the best shape of his LIFE he only has 3 good years left in him at most. Who knows, he might not have lost that much, he has a tendancy to talk. They kept Kobe and made him VERY happy, which is now motivation for him to try and be the best, especially with his trial out of the way. For those that dont know much about basketball, you wait and see...Lamar Odom is VERY VERY underrated, that guy can do alot for any team. Brian Grant can also bang around with Shaq any day. Lakers have a good team now, I am truely happy and that is coming from a true fan.

Dr. Eagle
09-03-2004, 08:58 PM
haha.
Even if Shaq were to get in the best shape of his LIFE he only has 3 good years left in him at most. Who knows, he might not have lost that much, he has a tendancy to talk. They kept Kobe and made him VERY happy, which is now motivation for him to try and be the best, especially with his trial out of the way. For those that dont know much about basketball, you wait and see...Lamar Odom is VERY VERY underrated, that guy can do alot for any team. Brian Grant can also bang around with Shaq any day. Lakers have a good team now, I am truely happy and that is coming from a true fan.
understanding the fact that Shaq is at the end of his career and Kobe is arguably in the first half of his, Kobe's attitude is the issue of concern. His ego and swager will determine where he ultimately ends up... but from what I have seen he feels like he has "arrived" and only the time in court (not on court) will serve to humble... the end result remains to be seen...

dc96819
09-03-2004, 09:14 PM
how long will he stay in shape?

Dr. Eagle
09-03-2004, 09:19 PM
how long will he stay in shape?
He who? :confused:

dmontzsta
09-03-2004, 09:20 PM
understanding the fact that Shaq is at the end of his career and Kobe is arguably in the first half of his, Kobe's attitude is the issue of concern. His ego and swager will determine where he ultimately ends up... but from what I have seen he feels like he has "arrived" and only the time in court (not on court) will serve to humble... the end result remains to be seen...
One thing that is funny...Shaq couldnt win the championship in LA with some of the best players but he claims to be "bringing a championship to miami next year". heh, if Malone comes back the Lakers are in REALLY good shape, even if not they are going to be the sleeper team. I think Divac will help, he has always been a big guy that can wear Shaq down, him, Yao and Sabonis have always made Shaq work.

Dr. Eagle
09-03-2004, 09:26 PM
One thing that is funny...Shaq couldnt win the championship in LA with some of the best players but he claims to be "bringing a championship to miami next year". heh, if Malone comes back the Lakers are in REALLY good shape, even if not they are going to be the sleeper team. I think Divac will help, he has always been a big guy that can wear Shaq down, him, Yao and Sabonis have always made Shaq work.'
Yep, it will be interesting, but it is also interesting that yo didn't mention Kobe in that post. I think the Lakers will struggle as will the Kings and other west powerhouses of the recent past and places like Phoenix and Houston will be contenders. (Dr. Eagle is the first to admit poor predictions in the past)... it will be interesting to see where it all goes.

dmontzsta
09-03-2004, 09:30 PM
'
Yep, it will be interesting, but it is also interesting that yo didn't mention Kobe in that post. I think the Lakers will struggle as will the Kings and other west powerhouses of the recent past and places like Phoenix and Houston will be contenders. (Dr. Eagle is the first to admit poor predictions in the past)... it will be interesting to see where it all goes.
I didnt mention him, cause I expect Kobe to just be Kobe, you know 28 ppg avg.

cigarette1
09-03-2004, 09:30 PM
Funny how people say Kobe has an attitude problem ... fatass Shaq was the BIGGEST pouter on the team behind GP. Everytime things weren't perfect, he either blamed someone else or they didn't get the ball to him... it was NEVER him. Kobe ALWAYS played to win ... can't say that about Shaq.
What's the dead pool on how many games Shaq doesn't play this season for WHATEVER reason ... I say 27. :devil:

Dr. Eagle
09-03-2004, 09:33 PM
I didnt mention him, cause I expect Kobe to just be Kobe, you know 28 ppg avg.
Exactly what I was thinking....... unfortunately sometimes his 28 costs another 20 within the rest of the team...

dmontzsta
09-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Exactly what I was thinking....... unfortunately sometimes his 28 costs another 20 within the rest of the team...
That is true.
Kobe 28ppg
I am hoping Odom can come through with 15ppg.
Divac with 10ppg.
Brian Grant 8ppg.
Rush 6ppg.
Walton 6ppg.
Atkins 10ppg.
Mihm 6ppg.
If the others can kick in 1-2-3 or 4 points to that, we should be good. AND if Malone comes back and can get 15ppg and maybe Odom cuts back to 10ppg that would be great. BUT there is one more trade coming up, they have too many players on the roster. There is alot of rumors going on over a Club Lakers.

CEO
09-03-2004, 10:25 PM
LA got the new ethically-challenged Kobe Bryant while they allowed Shaq to leave. If you wonder who got the better deal (I say Miami did), read on:
from MSNBC:
It seems Shaquille O'Neal was serious about re-dedicating himself to becoming the dominant force in the NBA again.
O'Neal, who was traded to the Miami Heat after the Los Angeles Lakers lost in the NBA Finals in June, has lost almost 25 pounds in offseason workouts, dropping his weight to 331 pounds, the Times-Picayune reported.
The 7-foot-1 O'Neal, who weighed 355 pounds when he met with Heat president Pat Riley less than two months ago, isn't down to his target weight of 325, but all reports have him looking much slimmer and in shape than he was in the Finals.
And he's ready to show off the new O'Neal. When he presented 'Best Group Video' at the MTV Video Music Awards, he sported a sleeve-less creme-colored shirt that showed off the time time he's spent working out.
Speaking at LSU's Student-Athlete Expectation Seminar on Tuesday, he sounded ready and comfortable, both with his new team, the Lakers and his re-dedication to basketball.
"No earthly thing can bother me because I'm at peace with myself," O'Neal told the paper. "I have no hard feelings (toward the Lakers). It's a business.
"I've always been the type of player to do what I'm told to do," he said of the weight loss. "The Lakers wanted me to lift (and build muscle mass). I'll be 325 or below when I report to camp."
Then why didn't you keep your fat ass in shape when you were here. You should want tobe in the best shape, not so you can rub Kobes and the lakers faces in it. If you would have had that attitude the last few years, you would have 5 rings by now.