PDA

View Full Version : So much for a Quiet weekend at the Zoo

H20Advantage
09-06-2004, 07:07 AM
19 hurt when 2 boats collide
By Gary Weiand /Havasu News Herald
Sunday, September 5, 2004 10:14 PM MDT
A two-boat collision in California waters off Site Six injured 19 people Saturday afternoon, according to Lake Havasu City officials and a spokesman for the San Bernardino County, Calif., Sheriff's Office.
The boats collided head-on about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, according to Charlie Cassens, city public information officer. He said the smaller boat, which sank, carried two passengers, both of whom were injured. Seventeen people aboard the other vessel, a pontoon boat, were injured, most of them suffering scrapes and bruises, he said.
Cassens said the injured were taken to a temporary, holiday weekend emergency station at Site Six on the Island, where paramedics tended them. Six were transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center. Two of these were seriously hurt, he said, and one was air evacuated to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.
San Bernardino County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Smith said the pontoon boat was a rental from Lake Havasu City and the second boat was a Mariah powerboat registered in California. He said the first report of the accident came into his agency at 6:10 p.m. Saturday. That report was followed by multiple calls for assistance on the crash.
Smith said the most seriously injured person suffered a punctured lung. None of the injuries were considered life threatening, he said.
According to the Lake Havasu City Fire Department, response included two engine companies, the fire rescue boat and three ambulances.
What caused the collision and other details of the accident was unavailable Sunday evening. Smith said officers from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office were still investigating the accident late Sunday.

hot_diggity_dog
09-06-2004, 07:22 AM
19 hurt when 2 boats collide
By Gary Weiand /Havasu News Herald
Sunday, September 5, 2004 10:14 PM MDT
A two-boat collision in California waters off Site Six injured 19 people Saturday afternoon, according to Lake Havasu City officials and a spokesman for the San Bernardino County, Calif., Sheriff's Office.
The boats collided head-on about 5:30 p.m. Saturday, according to Charlie Cassens, city public information officer. He said the smaller boat, which sank, carried two passengers, both of whom were injured. Seventeen people aboard the other vessel, a pontoon boat, were injured, most of them suffering scrapes and bruises, he said.
Cassens said the injured were taken to a temporary, holiday weekend emergency station at Site Six on the Island, where paramedics tended them. Six were transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center. Two of these were seriously hurt, he said, and one was air evacuated to University Medical Center in Las Vegas.
San Bernardino County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Smith said the pontoon boat was a rental from Lake Havasu City and the second boat was a Mariah powerboat registered in California. He said the first report of the accident came into his agency at 6:10 p.m. Saturday. That report was followed by multiple calls for assistance on the crash.
Smith said the most seriously injured person suffered a punctured lung. None of the injuries were considered life threatening, he said.
According to the Lake Havasu City Fire Department, response included two engine companies, the fire rescue boat and three ambulances.
What caused the collision and other details of the accident was unavailable Sunday evening. Smith said officers from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office were still investigating the accident late Sunday.
Let's not send the wrong mesage out there! :confused:
Yes there was a collision, but look at the factors on this one, (19) on a pontoon late in the evening. Lets see I bet Alchohol was a factor!!!!!! :notam:
Sunday the crowds were up but stll down for a major holiday weekend. :boxed:
Most of the traffic stayed in the channel.
Ran up to Moabi and it was a normal weekend crowd, little sandbar was full but not packed.
The channel was closed in the evening as well. Wind died down! On Saturday there was a nice breeze all day to keep the CO down.
Sorry to hear about the boat crash and hope everyone is OK
HDD :cool:

Mandelon
09-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Rental boat? :confused:

JetBoatRich
09-06-2004, 07:35 AM
No doubt more han one person on the boat was over the limit :sqeyes:
sad news, glad to hear everyone will be ok :(

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2004, 07:36 AM
I agree with Mandy...
rental = trouble on the river

cc322
09-06-2004, 07:41 AM
me too :mad:

FRENCHIE
09-06-2004, 08:04 AM
too bad to hear it!! :frown:

LUVNLIFE
09-06-2004, 08:17 AM
I realize it is a pontoon boat made to carry alot of people but they still have a weight limit I would think. Nineteen people, all of their gear and the loaded icechests. Not meaning alcohol but loaded with whatever and ice. That could add up to alot of weight. Not that it contributed to the accident I don't mean that. But damn everyone boat smart would you. :cool:

LUVNLIFE
09-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Sorry I mean 17 people in the pontoon. ;)

Quality Time
09-06-2004, 08:20 AM
I wonder if they had 19 life jackets on board :idea:

Dr. Eagle
09-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Let's not send the wrong mesage out there! :confused:
Yes there was a collision, but look at the factors on this one, (19) on a pontoon late in the evening. Lets see I bet Alchohol was a factor!!!!!! :notam:
Sunday the crowds were up but stll down for a major holiday weekend. :boxed:
Most of the traffic stayed in the channel.
Ran up to Moabi and it was a normal weekend crowd, little sandbar was full but not packed.
The channel was closed in the evening as well. Wind died down! On Saturday there was a nice breeze all day to keep the CO down.
Sorry to hear about the boat crash and hope everyone is OK
So HDD, hows the new job with the Havasu Chamber of Commerce? J/K LOL. Those were all good points...

hot_diggity_dog
09-06-2004, 08:54 AM
So HDD, hows the new job with the Havasu Chamber of Commerce? J/K LOL. Those were all good points...
DR. Eagle LOL :rollside: :rollside:
I just report the facts like Chick Hearn, I'll call it how I see it!!! :notam: :smile:

Froggystyle
09-06-2004, 09:43 AM
I agree with Mandy...
rental = trouble on the river
Most of these guys haven't been on long enough to get that Jeff... ;)

H20Advantage
09-06-2004, 10:03 AM
"Let's not send the wrong mesage out there! "
Not trying to send the wrong message there HDD. It was quiet so far at the Havazoo and then the "rental barge" which appears to have too many on board was involved in the crash. Just reporting the news on a slow news day. :cool:
So lets see the pics from the good times. We stayed home and the niece and friends were using the havasu house for her big 21st Bday bash. Hope it's still standing but at least I get to recycle the beer cans for boat gas. :D

Havasu Hangin'
09-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Most of these guys haven't been on long enough to get that Jeff... ;)
Yeah...there's probably only 3 or 4 of us left.
Hell...I barely remember last week...let alone three years ago. :squiggle:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
09-06-2004, 10:19 AM
No doubt more han one person on the boat was over the limit :sqeyes:
sad news, glad to hear everyone will be ok :(
All that matters is whether the driver was over the limit. Who cares about all the passengers drinking or not? Sorry, I just don't see what that has to do with anything.

AzDon
09-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Rental boat with 17 people? It must be under investigation because nobody will admit to being the driver........There are a couple of geographic problems with that site six area: 1) It's a bottlenecked area with a blind curve AND 2) they built a big fishing dock right in the middle of the cove, forcing people to wait for their trailers or passengers out on the lake...... They need to buoy off a LARGE "no wake" zone there.

572Daytona
09-06-2004, 10:49 AM
Hmm....a pontoon boat with 17 people on it isn't exaclty going to be going fast or make any sudden turns and should have good visibility, so I don't see how it couldn't have been avoided fairly easily. It sounds to me like the other boat owner may be complicit as well.

Havasu_Dreamin
09-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Yeah...there's probably only 3 or 4 of us left.
I can only think of RD, FS, you and myself that were around at that time.

Kim Hanson
09-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Hmm....a pontoon boat with 17 people on it isn't exaclty going to be going fast or make any sudden turns and should have good visibility, so I don't see how it couldn't have been avoided fairly easily. It sounds to me like the other boat owner may be complicit as well.
Pi Daytona, I would also think this!.........( . )( . )....Those are slow boats!

hot_diggity_dog
09-06-2004, 05:00 PM
Rental boat with 17 people? It must be under investigation because nobody will admit to being the driver........There are a couple of geographic problems with that site six area: 1) It's a bottlenecked area with a blind curve AND 2) they built a big fishing dock right in the middle of the cove, forcing people to wait for their trailers or passengers out on the lake...... They need to buoy off a LARGE "no wake" zone there.
I think a major factor in the accident was the closure of the channel at Sunset.
As we came in they had it closed, so we just pulled the boat out, since we where right there. Imagine if sending all of those boats around the Island at site six to get to the Marina or Thompson Bay. Now add in the fact if you have a slow boat it was almost dark by the time you got your boat out.
Bad mixture in my book.
I heard there was another accident right after this one with (6) people, no details other than around dark.
HDD :D

Essex502
09-07-2004, 05:38 AM
This is a snippet from the Havasu News Herald this morning:
Alcohol may have been a factor in another boating accident earlier in the Labor Day holiday, Odom said.
The two-vessel collision occurred off Site Six near the California shoreline on Lake Havasu Saturday evening. Odom said that driver Michael Scot Macintosh, 43, San Bernardino, was southbound in his 1995 Mariah runabout when he collided head-on with a triple pontoon boat carrying 11 people. Macintosh's boat had three passengers aboard.
The pontoon boat saw the crash coming and slowed down, but the Mariah's driver did not see the threat until the last moment, Odom said.
Contrary to earlier reports, no one was sent to University Medical Center in Las Vegas. Three were ejected from the Mariah and transported to Havasu Regional Medical Center - Macintosh, who suffered a punctured lung and broken ribs, James Trusswell, 29, Wrightwood, Calif., who suffered a broken leg, and his sister Amanda Trusswell, 24, Colton, Calif., who suffered a severe head laceration as well as scrapes and bruises.
The third passenger was unhurt, he said.
Odum said that two passengers on the pontoon also went to the HRMC - Andrew Lazarz, 23, Inglewood, Ohio, with a broken ankle, and Nicole Hill, 17, Redlands, Calif., who complained of back pain and was treated and released, he said.
It sounds like there was only 11 passengers on the pontoon and that the driver of the Mariah seemed to be at fault. We'll see how the investigation plays out....the other thing....it sounds like it was closer to the California side of the lake than the AZ.

NOTALENT
09-07-2004, 06:11 AM
I remember this..I didnt see it but when I was loading my boat up at site 6 the boat cops came rushing through and the ambulance and fire trucks were there...They brought in a girl with what looks like here leg was burnt..they had the whole thing wrapped up..and she had a neck brace on. The others I did not get to see..but it was horrible.