PDA

View Full Version : Check Points

CARRERA
09-06-2004, 08:24 AM
What does everyone think. Should there be check points out on the water, just like we see out on city streets?

ratso
09-06-2004, 08:26 AM
...no :jawdrop:

roostwear
09-06-2004, 08:51 AM
Personally, I think it's unlawful detention. I guess if enough people scream, the government will take away any freedom in the name of safety.

FRENCHIE
09-06-2004, 08:53 AM
no...only where you get on or off the water is cool by me!!! :D

ratso
09-06-2004, 09:06 AM
I honestly believe that is why traffic has dropped off on some of the lakes...too much policing. I honestly feel there should be probable cause to be pulled over, whether it is in a car or in a boat. Here on our local lake the beaches have always sucked. Now they have put in 3 nice ones. One you can't pull a boat up to. Another one is fine but attracts some really low-class people. The last one right now is only accessible by boat until all the awnings for the campers are complete. We pull up on that one and hang out in the water, but a couple of the prick park rangers will come tell you to leave because the park is still closed. Last time, after arguing with him a couple times in the past, I told him we are not using the park...we are anchored off and in the water...not in the park. He told us we still had to leave and I told him to F### off and go after some back up because he is going to need it. He comes back with my cousin who signed up for park patrol...who proceeded to tell this idiot that he is doing park patrol and we aren't in the park...we are in the water!!! Anyway, All I'm saying is too many of these EFFERS just want to push their weight around and look for reasons to try and ruin you having a good time...and apparently they are succeeding at it...

JetBoatRich
09-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Saves one life, they did their job ;)

MRS FLYIN VEE
09-06-2004, 09:41 AM
I would have to say Yes.. if it will save 1 life it is worth it. :wink:

GlastronGuy
09-06-2004, 10:22 AM
No to check points.
Just enforce the laws. If they weren't manning check points maybe they could be stopping boats and jet skis blasting by 75 feet from the beach.

clownpuncher
09-06-2004, 01:14 PM
I was kinda on the fence on this one.
On one hand, I feel leave us alone unless we do something wrong. No one likes being, for lack of a better word, harrased for no reason.
On the other hand, and prevailing hand, I say that often times it's already too late when we've done something wrong. My belief is the popo are doing "preventative policing". Get the unsafe boaters before they hurt someone. Is it an inconvenience to go through that crap? Yes. I've been through many check-points here in Palm Springs. It might have delayed my progress maybe 3-5 minutes. On the water I'm sure it'll be a little longer, but, dang man we're at the river. What's the hurry?
I'll bet a paycheck that those that voted no would wish there was a checkpoint in the tragic event that they were the victim of a drunk boater.
I vote "yes"

ahhell
09-06-2004, 01:22 PM
yes and no...if im at the sandbar or in the channel, i like to have a beer or four. legally im intoxicated if i fess up to what ive consumed, realistically, i can put down 4-6 beers and barely notice it,. esp. at the river in the sun and water. the fool that just pounded 12+ and can barely walk...save us. guess im fence sitting

ratso
09-06-2004, 01:36 PM
Why don't we just make it a law to install breatalyzers on all boats and vehicles? While we're at it lets also take away firearms from all the law abiding citizens. Lets not forget these noise laws and speed laws already being imposed against us. How many of your aquaintences at the gym do steroids Frenchie? :D Nothing against it because I know quite a few that do it...but isn't that also against the law? Let's set up a checkpoint at all the gyms while we're at it...

ratso
09-06-2004, 01:39 PM
I was kinda on the fence on this one.
On one hand, I feel leave us alone unless we do something wrong. No one likes being, for lack of a better word, harrased for no reason.
On the other hand, and prevailing hand, I say that often times it's already too late when we've done something wrong. My belief is the popo are doing "preventative policing". Get the unsafe boaters before they hurt someone. Is it an inconvenience to go through that crap? Yes. I've been through many check-points here in Palm Springs. It might have delayed my progress maybe 3-5 minutes. On the water I'm sure it'll be a little longer, but, dang man we're at the river. What's the hurry?
I'll bet a paycheck that those that voted no would wish there was a checkpoint in the tragic event that they were the victim of a drunk boater.
I vote "yes"
The problem with that last line is drunk...You don't get arrested for being drunk, you get arrested for being intoxicated, and .08 is a joke for MOST people. Where is RD when I need him?

Scream
09-06-2004, 01:47 PM
I'd have to say yes. I really think it's better that the LEO's prevent us from killing ourselves and others and to lay aside our freedom of associating with complete dipshits. Not to be too harsh, because I deserve as much criticism as any other for this, but anything that can be done to keep DUI out of the boating scene is ok in my book.

Boatcop
09-06-2004, 02:12 PM
Check points are more for prevention than aprehension. They are publicized in advance, and word of mouth lets other boaters know they are there.
If you know there's going to be a checkpoint, the more likely you'll be to remain sober or have a designated driver.
It used to be common practice to pick up a case, and start drinking at 29 Palms or Desert Center on the way to the River. Since everyone knows there will probably be a checkpoint at Vidal Jct. that practice has all but dried up.
With the threat of a checkpoint at the Marina's or launch ramps, the same principle applies. I've been on a few of those, and the time it takes to check equipment and evaluate the driver, with no problems, is less than 5 minutes.
Hardly a major inconvenience.

clownpuncher
09-06-2004, 02:19 PM
The problem with that last line is drunk...You don't get arrested for being drunk, you get arrested for being intoxicated, and .08 is a joke for MOST people. Where is RD when I need him?
Good catch. Drunk, loaded, intoxicated, buzzed, under the influence yada yada yada. Maybe not my best choice of wording in that last sentence. Hey, you're from Texas, how'd you catch that one? :D
Agreed, .08 is not drunk, at least for most people I know.
I'm not saying take our guns away ( I happen to like my guns, a lot!), or put monitors in boats/cars etc. I'm just in agreement that the police "policing" us will be a little more effective than us policing ourselves. It's a bummer hearing about all the morons that get "drunk" and hurt/kill someone with their boats. Apparently, there are quite a few members of the boating community that are unable to take care of themselves while on the water.
I have several friends that are totally against drinking and driving their cars, but, put em in their boat at the river and party on Garth. I don't quite understand the concept.
I love nothing more than to have a few beers on the water. But, I now have the brains and maturity to know when to say when and be safe on the water. In my younger days? I was stupid and blessed at the same time. I'm not dead, never got hurt, never crashed or caused a crash because of my drinking.
Don't quote me on this, but, I'd venture to say that most LE at checkpoints on the water wouldn't be interested in the legit .08 drivers. LE are human and believe it or not many of them drink on the water on off days. The friends I have could care less about .08. They frequently work the checkpoints on the road where I live. They wouldn't even waste their time with it. It's the obviously "drunk" ones that get their attention and subsequent actions.

CARRERA
09-06-2004, 04:39 PM
I see some of the people have voted, "Only On The Holidays". Why would it not be okay on any other day?

clownpuncher
09-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I just realized that if you click on the numbers in the poll you can see who voted, and how.

Mandelon
09-06-2004, 04:56 PM
I know it makes things safer, but I think the officers need to witness a violation prior to stopping a vessel.
If its "safer," then why not just require a breathalyzer switch on your ignition?
Put GPS locators on your cars......no more speeding.....
Why not ban alcohol altogether?
Just ban motorboating.....put a limit on top speed or horsepower.....
Why not require all passengers of boats and cars to wear helmets....
Why not have house to house searches for contraband....
Where does it end? :(
I just hate to see our freedoms worn down bit by bit.

clownpuncher
09-06-2004, 05:05 PM
I know it makes things safer, but I think the officers need to witness a violation prior to stopping a vessel.
If its "safer," then why not just require a breathalyzer switch on your ignition?
Agreed 100%. Where does it end? Answer - It doesn't/won't. Not as long as we have complete morons with a belly full of alcohol and driving. We live in a free country, or that's the plan anyway, and it seems little by little our freedom is becoming more of a novelty.
On the flip side, what's the answer to drunk boaters that have no regard for ANYONE's safety? I don't know.
I'm all for the vigilanty concept, but, I'm also not too hip on jail. :wink:

CARRERA
09-06-2004, 05:09 PM
I agree withyou 100%, but, that is what it will come down to if no action is taken, and I for one would sure hate to see that................

Mandelon
09-06-2004, 06:30 PM
If you aren't doing anything illegal you should not object to being stopped, boarded, or searched right? :idea: Your home, boat, car, personal orifices........ :supp: :D
What to do about drunk/bad operators? Keep an eye out for them. Pull over suspicious operators, not throw a net over everyone.
I think I would prefer to be on the lake with an experienced boater who's had a few beers during the afternoon as opposed to some rental boat/seadoo operator who's never been at the helm before. :boxingguy :boxingguy

ratso
09-06-2004, 08:01 PM
If you aren't doing anything illegal you should not object to being stopped, boarded, or searched right? :idea: Your home, boat, car, personal orifices........ :supp: :D
What to do about drunk/bad operators? Keep an eye out for them. Pull over suspicious operators, not throw a net over everyone.
I think I would prefer to be on the lake with an experienced boater who's had a few beers during the afternoon as opposed to some rental boat/seadoo operator who's never been at the helm before. :boxingguy :boxingguy
Right on Mandy... :D

little rowe boat
09-06-2004, 08:12 PM
I had a friend killed by a drunk driver,15 yrs ago last january,if there had been a check point on colorado blvd on that saturday night, then there is a good chance he would still be alive today.People that drink and drive or drink and boat to excess,don't give a sh!t about anything but their good time,so if it takes check points to keep these losers off the road or water then bring on the check points.

Kilrtoy
09-06-2004, 08:18 PM
I had a friend killed by a drunk driver,15 yrs ago last january,if there had been a check point on colorado blvd on that saturday night, then there is a good chance he would still be alive today.People that drink and drive or drink and boat to excess,don't give a sh!t about anything but their good time,so if it takes check points to keep these losers off the road or water then bring on the check points.
Any response to this MANDELON

bigerich
09-06-2004, 08:30 PM
To me this is such a valid point. I personally don't want my fun/life to end because of someone else being intoxicated. Yeah, if we all know the checkpoints are there, we are probably all going to have a sober driver of the boat. I am in no way a fan of limiting rights, but, when someone elses rights infringe on my right to live, then I have a major problem with it. All in all, I have no problems with checkpoints.

Racer277
09-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Check points are more for prevention than aprehension. They are publicized in advance, and word of mouth lets other boaters know they are there.
If you know there's going to be a checkpoint, the more likely you'll be to remain sober or have a designated driver.
Publicized in advance? On that last one you said "Since the cat is out of the bag".
How do you publicize when many people are visiting from out of town?
If they were advertized, I may agree. But like every cop sitting on a freeway onramp, it's not. I say every cop car and boat should be bright pink with big flashing lights on top. You wouldn't stop one speeder/drunk, you would stop tens or hundreds at a time. If that was the idea anyway....

Keithb87
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
If you ain't doing nothing wrong, There ain't nothing to worry about... :D IMO

Propchecker
09-06-2004, 09:14 PM
I see some of the people have voted, "Only On The Holidays". Why would it not be okay on any other day?
I think the prevention is most important when the crowds are the thickest. The guy tubing his kids behind his Bayliner on Memorial Day is a dumbass for doing it, but will be somewhat protected by the fear of the checkpoint in the minds of at least a percentage of other boaters. He's still a diceroller regardless.
With the crowds increasing the checkpoints will increase too. I don't like them. I'm busy, and don't like the thought of dealing with a BUI for being slightly above .08 + all the hassle that comes with getting one. There's a big difference in my mind between having a few beers and at some point boating, and top fueling it getting all fuxced up and driving. I don't know why there isn't a slap on the wrist penalty for being technicly under the influence at a checkpoint, but not impaired. I guess once anyone tests .08 LE could get sued if there were an accident down the lake or river afterward. Thanks again trial lawyers.

ratso
09-06-2004, 09:21 PM
They got you by the balls with the .08. Most people would probably pass a FST still at that level.

little rowe boat
09-07-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm not saying alcohol or any other substance is to blame for the Topock incident,but if check points prevent even 1 incident like that, then they are well worth it.

Boatcop
09-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Publicized in advance? On that last one you said "Since the cat is out of the bag".
There's a difference between a "Check Point", where all boats (or cars) crossing a certain point are stopped and checked, and a "Saturation Patrol" where Law Enforcement concentrates a large number of patrol units in a specific area and stops violators.
What we had a few months ago was a Saturation Patrol. The only people stopped were those with an observed violation.
The US Supreme Court decided that DUI Check Points are constitutional, and that public safety outweighed the minor inconcenience of being detained for a brief period to detect impaired drivers (or boaters). But they also stated that places, dates and times must be published in advance (A press release to local newspapers, Radio, Television, etc.) in order to meet Constitutional requirements.
Since a Saturation Patrol only targets those commiting violations of the law, there is no Constitutional issue, and no advance publication or notice is necessary.

CARRERA
09-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Very well said and put in text................

FunOnTheWater
09-07-2004, 04:18 PM
most of like to have fun and enjoy the good times :rolleyes: but you have to take responsibility and know when to say no :notam: you have a lot more than you to take care of and relying on you :confused:

Mandelon
09-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Any response to this MANDELON
If it just saves one life........
Max speed limit on boats could be limited to wakeless speed. That would pretty much end speed related fatal accidents. You could still enjoy boating.....just in one of those little electric trawlers I see around.
Lifevests should be worn whenever on board. You could still enjoy boating, just with a vest on.
Oh, and if you put on a helmet whenever you leave the house, you would be safer too.
I know I sound like a dick here, and I am certainly not attempting to defend drunken driving. My point is: "Where does it end"?
Man--->has no problem with saturation patrols, but am sure going to be careful out there now cuz I bet they will be looking for me<----delon

Boatcop
09-07-2004, 05:33 PM
but am sure going to be careful out there now cuz I bet they will be looking for me
No one is ever a target because of who they are or what they say and believe.
It's their behavior and actions on the water that makes them of interest to LE.

OutCole'd
09-07-2004, 05:49 PM
Mandy, if I were you, I would still take my name off the back of my boat.... :D

roostwear
09-07-2004, 05:57 PM
There's a difference between a "Check Point", where all boats (or cars) crossing a certain point are stopped and checked, and a "Saturation Patrol" where Law Enforcement concentrates a large number of patrol units in a specific area and stops violators.
What we had a few months ago was a Saturation Patrol. The only people stopped were those with an observed violation.
The US Supreme Court decided that DUI Check Points are constitutional, and that public safety outweighed the minor inconcenience of being detained for a brief period to detect impaired drivers (or boaters). But they also stated that places, dates and times must be published in advance (A press release to local newspapers, Radio, Television, etc.) in order to meet Constitutional requirements.
Since a Saturation Patrol only targets those commiting violations of the law, there is no Constitutional issue, and no advance publication or notice is necessary.
Wow, that makes it OK then. :messedup:

Ziggy
09-07-2004, 06:27 PM
No one is ever a target because of who they are or what they say and believe.
If this were true then why did the Coast Gaurd make such an effort to come by OP6??...by monitoring the sites and seeing joke pictures, they had a targeted reason for showing up.
Personally, I believe checkpoints have their purpose but so many tales heard seem to make it out as more of a harrassment. Guilty conscience perhaps??
My thinking is the same as: Quoted "Keithb87 If you ain't doing nothing wrong, There ain't nothing to worry about... IMO" But I also believe in our freedom and being pulled over for no reason is irratating.
Most everyone goes to have a good time, and many have a different definition of good time so YOU as a responsible operator has to know when too much good has been had to stay safe and legal.

little rowe boat
09-07-2004, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=Mandelon]If it just saves one life........
I know I sound like a dick here, and I am certainly not attempting to defend drunken driving. My point is: "Where does it end"?
Maybe in the fn grave.

Mandelon
09-07-2004, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=Mandelon]If it just saves one life........
Maybe in the fn grave.
I meant no disrespect to your friend or the many many others who's lives have been lost or affected by the irresponsible action of drunk drivers. It is a serious problem, and there is no easy answer.
It is always the few who spoil it for the many. :frown:

Boatcop
09-07-2004, 06:56 PM
If this were true then why did the Coast Gaurd make such an effort to come by OP6??...
What Coast Guard??????
There is no enforcement arm of the Coast Guard on the Colorado River. The Auxiliary patrols you may see (in their private boats) are there for boater assistance and education only. They have absolutely no Law Enforcement power, and no authority to stop yours or any other boat.

Kachina26
09-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Not to mention those who have to recover the mangled bodies of those who chose to engage in their activities, like the "alleged" OUI operator in Topock. I know rescue workers who have seen TOO MUCH SHIT!!!! Because "If I wanna drink and boat, it's my business" F u c k you! You have the F u c k ing nightmares! Grow up get plastered after the boat is put away and wiped down! F u c k! How many people gotta F u c k ing DIE! Before you wake up! Check points? Bring 'em on! I don't care! Just don't scratch my gel coat!
Sorry, I'm a bit riled up after the Topock incident. I don't know the driver, but I know some of the rescuers that have to deal with your stupid AS$ES!

Mandelon
09-07-2004, 07:05 PM
I remember a patrol boat coming by and hassling folks. I dont' know which arm it was....but my understanding of the problem was that an "organized" (however loosely) event is not allowed in that stretch of the river and especially not without a permit.

SBullet
09-07-2004, 07:07 PM
I have to agree with Mandelon!!

roostwear
09-07-2004, 07:13 PM
How about tow truck drivers that have to shovel someones splattered brain off the asphalt? They see ALOT more than rescuers do! Every DAY! Let's make breathalizers mandatory in every car. It's just a minor inconvenience, and think of all the lives they'll save. Did I get your attention after your ridiculous tirade? There is a fundamental right here that many are willing toss away to make their little world a little nicer. The needs of the many out weigh the wants of a few. If you have no social conscience, and can't do what is needed to preserve our liberties, find a nice little socialist country to call home. Freedom isn't always easy, and once you give it up for ANY reason, you've lost it forever!

SBullet
09-07-2004, 07:16 PM
It's all about being resposible for all your actions!!!
Think before you do????

little rowe boat
09-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Who's tirade are you referring to ?

roostwear
09-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Kachina 26's

clownpuncher
09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
Not to mention those who have to recover the mangled bodies of those who chose to engage in their activities, like the "alleged" OUI operator in Topock. I know rescue workers who have seen TOO MUCH SHIT!!!! Because "If I wanna drink and boat, it's my business" F u c k you! You have the F u c k ing nightmares! Grow up get plastered after the boat is put away and wiped down! F u c k! How many people gotta F u c k ing DIE! Before you wake up! Check points? Bring 'em on! I don't care! Just don't scratch my gel coat!
Sorry, I'm a bit riled up after the Topock incident. I don't know the driver, but I know some of the rescuers that have to deal with your stupid AS$ES!
I know how you feel Kachina, but, I kinda like to have a couple of beers as I'm wiping the boat down. ;)
Jus messin with ya.

clownpuncher
09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
How about tow truck drivers that have to shovel someones splattered brain off the asphalt? They see ALOT more than rescuers do!
How do you figure that?

clownpuncher
09-07-2004, 07:30 PM
How do you figure that?
Nevermind, stupid post on my part

Mandelon
09-07-2004, 07:32 PM
There are so many tirades to choose from, it was hard to tell. :shift:

ratso
09-07-2004, 07:35 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1320law1.JPG If this were true then why did the Coast Gaurd make such an effort to come by OP6??...by monitoring the sites and seeing joke pictures, they had a targeted reason for showing up.
Personally, I believe checkpoints have their purpose but so many tales heard seem to make it out as more of a harrassment. Guilty conscience perhaps??
My thinking is the same as: Quoted "Keithb87 If you ain't doing nothing wrong, There ain't nothing to worry about... IMO" But I also believe in our freedom and being pulled over for no reason is irratating.
Most everyone goes to have a good time, and many have a different definition of good time so YOU as a responsible operator has to know when too much good has been had to stay safe and legal.
Hmm...OP6 being crashed by the Law Dogs...

little rowe boat
09-07-2004, 07:37 PM
Check points are not the total solution or the quick fix.but it does help,if the arguement is that it is an inconvenience,then go ahead and inconvenience me, a life or lives is worth a little inconvenience.People are upset with the Law enforcement personnel,for setting up these check points,they are blaming the wrong people,you have the inconsiderate drunken fools who don,t give a sh!t about anyone but their own good time to thank.If 1 check point saves 1 life then it is well worth it.That life could be your or mine.

ratso
09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1320law2.JPG
...and what's a Law Dog bust without some chickas in the pic... :D

little rowe boat
09-07-2004, 07:39 PM
How do you figure that?
I was going to address that comment as well,but I figured wrong thread wrong place.

clownpuncher
09-07-2004, 07:54 PM
This def is a discussion that has no immediate solution. I can see both sides to it.
As a 20+ year fireman I've witnessed, held, smelled, washed out of my uniform, wiped brain matter off my face, scraped off the dashboard etc. too many dead children and families in accidents caused by drunk drivers. The other Firemen and LE on this board are no different. There comes a point in all of our careers where we just shake our head in disgust at the tragedy that could have been prevented.
When we read posts by those for/against this "check point" I think it's important to put into context who is speaking.
For those against, I respect your thoughts and quite frankly I've heard some pretty good argument on your part. Not one person has condoned drunken boating. I think the main concern is basically "where does it end" As I said before, I don't know.
For those of you that disagree with us in favor, it's important to take into consideration how many senseless tragedies BoatCop, Little Rowe Boat, myself and the myriad other posters in favor have witnessed and are just basically fed up with the "I don't want any of my rights taken away from me" attitude.
We ALL want our freedom protected. We all want safe highways and waterways. How we come to this eye in the needle common ground I haven't a clue.
Obviously whatever actions are being taken by LE now are not nearly as effective as we all desire. Way too many senseless deaths happening on a weekly basis.
So, I challenge all of us to figure out a plan that will work and still protect our freedoms that we all desire.
Don't bash the popo, they're just doing what they're told. Don't like what they're doing, lobby your polititians and get thing changed to a more effective/equitable solution.
I still say the vigilanty thing might just work if they'd just legalize it :wink:

JetBoatRich
09-07-2004, 08:07 PM
I still say the vigilanty thing might just work if they'd just legalize it :wink:
Good post, thanks :D maybe the last part is possible :notam:

roostwear
09-07-2004, 08:32 PM
I try not to bash the police... they have a job I couldn't do. They have to enforce the f%cked up laws we've allowed lawyers to make while trying not to abuse the latitude the have. What bothers me more than anything is people (and the society they make) that take no personal responsibility for their actions. Checkpoints are a indication of this. I am a firm believer that society can never be (and should not be) sanitized to compensate for a minority. Why should the majority be penalized to compensate for a minority? That's not the American way. Is living the way I would like it to be harder? Yes. I wouldn't be able to sue McDonalds because the coffee was too hot. I wouldn't be able to sue Smith & Wesson because they made a gun that someone used to kill a loved one. If I screw up, I know my ass is on the line, and will be dealt with severely. If people don't value their freedom enough to preserve it, they don't deserve to be free. Did you ever have someone step out in front of your car because they knew you'd avoid them? I often wonder why I should care more about their lives than they do.
I don't have the answers, but if history teaches us anything, it teaches us that only major events put a society back on the right path. Call it revolution, or just the pendulum swinging the other way, but it must happen.
This is my annual rant. I'm done until next year.............. :argue:

HCS
09-07-2004, 08:52 PM
I voted yes. Why? I don't know why. I hate check points. But what the hell.
You can't stop em. So you might as well join em. Right Boat Cop?
How do you get that job anyway? Check out the babes all day............
Must be nice. :cool:

little rowe boat
09-08-2004, 10:44 AM
I guess RW, the way to look at it is checkpoints protect the majority from the drunken minority,do any of us like them? probably not,but if this is whats necessary to protect the majority of us responsible law abidding drivers and boaters from the drunken minority.If I have to choose the posibility of death at the hands of the drunken minority or a check point,bring on the check points.

CA Stu
09-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Maybe 20 years ago, this would have been a moot point.
Less crowds = less problems.
These days, with the prosperity (and creative financing) that we are fortunate enough to enjoy, seems like anyone can afford a boat, maybe that they have no business operating, drunk OR sober.
Now I'm 100% against governmental intrusion in our private lives, but this is a public area where the actions of one idiot can have irreversable and tragic effect on many others.
Personally, I stay away from the River /Lake Havasu on holiday weekends, you can find enough idiots on the water on a weekday, but holidays bring them out in force!!
I have seen plenty of folks that have no business operating a sewing machine (let alone a 500HP vehicle) driving boats, and I'm sure everyone else on this board has, too.
Have a little faith in those entrusted with Public Safety, let them get these idiots off the water / road before we all pay the price.
It's a tough issue, but on this one I'm going to err on the side of safety. Checkpoints are OK by me.
Thanks
CA Stu
PS How the hell does BoatCop no about the "No beer until Rice Road" rule?
:wink:

Havasu_Dreamin
09-08-2004, 02:08 PM
But what makes one any worse than the other? not trying to take a side, just asking a question.
I rather be with a stone cold sober driver that has the reaction time and knowledge of what to do to avoid the mistakes that any other boat operator may make.

Kachina26
09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
RW, sorry about the tirade. I actually only checked back on this post because what I wrote didn't sit well with me. It certainly expresses how I feel. I don't believe I am giving up any rights by having a OUI checkpoint. I feel a little safer, in the same way that there are laws in regards to standards my car has to meet before the MFG can sell it. Sure there can be some jerk of a cop having a bad day looking to give someone a hard time. But, he can do that without a checkpoint.
CP, you gotta have something cold to drink while wiping her down. Sorry I got the order of things mixed up.
Anyway, I wanted to apologize for the harsh words. However, I'm gonna leave them there because deep down that's how I feel.
Besides if I took it down I would suffer in the old post count.
J/K

roostwear
09-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Kinda off topic for this thread, but a good indicator of how government works. Catch those criminals (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?p=882248#post882248)