PDA

View Full Version : New boat..Broke Motor..What LUck

NOTALENT
09-06-2004, 09:04 PM
As some know I just Bought My first boat..1999 Sleekcraft sundancer 23ft..454 w/bravo 1..Ran it all weekend at havazoo...partyed it up at copper canyon, the channel etc..on Saturday as we were leaving copper halfway to site 6..I hear a loud knocking coming from the passenger side head..I thought it was maybe a loose lifter or maybe a cracked spring..so we took it apart and the heads were looking perfect..So rather than waiting till next weekend my buddy tuck who works for advantage boats building there motors is going to use there a frame to pull the motor and check out the bottom end..Hopefully I will have my new motor built by next weekend.!! What Luck..I was going to build my new motor over the winter anyway but damn..Cut my weekend a little short.

ratso
09-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Don't feel bad...blew up my outboard and my 454 last week...got the outboard going already. My 454 spun a rod bearing so we are going to upgrade with some different pistons and another cam...but it will be down for probably a month. The 454 problem started about a month ago when we blew an oil line...so this problem was inevitable. If they can get you going in a week then my hat is off to them...

Infomaniac
09-07-2004, 02:47 AM
Was not the exhaust flapper making the noise?

JetBoatRich
09-07-2004, 02:55 AM
Ben there on the engine issues :mad: god luck on the repairs :D

NOTALENT
09-07-2004, 06:18 AM
nope..dont have flappers on it..man..it sounded like a loud knocking coming through the valve covers..but when we took it apart..nothing wrong in the heads..ITs coming from the bottom end..I should know by wednesday whats wrong.

ratso
09-07-2004, 07:34 AM
A loud definite knock sounds like a rod or rod bearing...hopefully the crank can be saved. Up top will usually be a tapping noise. You might want to go back with some "goodies" while it's all the way down...

NOTALENT
09-07-2004, 07:54 AM
A loud definite knock sounds like a rod or rod bearing...hopefully the crank can be saved. Up top will usually be a tapping noise. You might want to go back with some "goodies" while it's all the way down...
Thats exactly what I am going to do..My buddy tuck has a blown 454 teague motor in his eliminator..he said he would build me one.. but I dont need 800hp..lol I am thinking some new pistons,cam kit, new rocker arms, nothing to serious yet seems I just dropped all my money buying it..haha Most of the parts I can get either free or extremely cheap. So If the right stuff comes along who knows what I will do. Wednesday is when I start planning.