PDA

View Full Version : Distributors

Cas42
03-23-2001, 08:38 AM
I'm looking for suggestions on a distributor for a 454 Chevy. I'm currently running a Mallory dual point(came with the boat)but I have tried a stock HEI. The HEI gave me a couple of hundred more RPM's,problem is, I went through 2 modules within about 10 hours use.
The motor only turns about 4200 rpm's with the Mallory and about 4400 with the HEI. Both of those numbers seem to be a little low to me? Oh yea, it's a 1978 Tahiti, 21' super cruiser.

superdave013
03-23-2001, 09:49 AM
MSD all the way. You will love it.

fat rat
03-23-2001, 10:38 AM
I installed a complete MSD system last summer, installation was fairly simple, had my original dual point for 13 years plus, should of made the change sooner.

The Miller
03-24-2001, 08:50 AM
If your looking for an inexpensive way out of your dual point setup, there is a kit made by Pertronix that will use your mallory dist. but will do away with your points. It uses a magnetic pick up so there is no module to burn out. Not a lot of performance but very reliable and you never have to adjust points again. I bought mine for around $100

Cas42
03-26-2001, 12:06 AM
thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards the MSD at this point. Since I might add a few ponies in the near future, the MSD will probably suit my needs better.

fat rat
03-26-2001, 01:08 PM
Sound Choice....

Cas42
04-09-2001, 09:08 AM
situation... I don't have any place to mount the MSD box. With the way the engine cover fits, the way the transom is built because of the Panther jet, the location of the battery and the fan, there isn't any room. After talking with Rick over at CP Performance, it looks like I'll be going with the Mallory YLM series electronic distributor. It'll definitely be an improvement over what I have.

superdave013
04-09-2001, 11:28 AM
Mount the box on the end of one of the heads. I have run Mallory stuff too. I like their mags. And the distributors are ok but I like the MSD much better. You can find a place to mout the box if you realy want to.

Jeff
04-09-2001, 12:42 PM
Cas42:
You picked-up 200 rpm by switching to electronic? Is this typical?? Did you put your old dual point on a distributor machine and set it up? Are they set-up the same? Just curious is all, maybe I should up-grade from my dual point system as well.
Thanks
Jeff

Cas42
04-09-2001, 04:58 PM
<<Mount the box on the end of one of the heads. I have run Mallory stuff too. I like their mags. And the distributors are ok but I like the MSD much better. You can find a place to mout the box if you realy want to>>
Dave,
You're right about "if I really want to". The thing is, I would have to modify and or relocate a number of things to make it work. Since I just had the upholstery redone, I don't really want to modify the engine cover to make it fit. The other item that I would have to move is the terminal block for all the wiring. The only other option I thought of is to build a little platform above the jet housing. Since I didn't buy the Mallory today, I'm going to do a little more head scratching.

Jetmugg
04-09-2001, 05:03 PM
Get a late model HEI (small cap) out of a late model truck, and an external coil (accel, msd, etc). These distributors are equipped with an electronic advance curve which does not need a computer signal to run. There is a total of 22 degrees of advance built into the dist., and needs no vacuum source or external computer. You can even still use factory HEI wires, and keep the tach sender. These distributors are very common, and work great (much better than the old HEI's). They are the same basic units that Delco supplies as the marine distributors for the Marine Power engines, and Indmar uses them also. This is the setup I have on my Gullwing.
SteveM.

Cas42
04-09-2001, 05:12 PM
<<You picked-up 200 rpm by switching to electronic? Is this typical?? Did you put your old dual point on a distributor machine and set it up? Are they set-up the same? Just curious is all, maybe I should up-grade from my dual point system as well.
Thanks
Jeff>>
Jeff,
To be honest, I don't know if it's typical. I bought a 23 yr old boat and don't have any idea of it's history. All I do know is I "think" it should be turning higher rpm's than it is. My last boat tached out around 5200 being purely stock. The main reason for a distributor change is I don't feel like screwing around with points besides, the electronics/magnetics are much better.
Being the Mallory DP I have is 23 yrs old, I'm guessing it may be in need of some repairs, thus the 200 rpm gain with a different distributor.
All that aside, it's a jet boat and jet boats are made to be fiddled with <grin>