PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Subrurban 8.1L needs more power

don johnson
09-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Just bought a new 2005 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1L. Added headers and cat back. This thing is still a gas guzzling no balls setup.
Who out there has done mod's to their 8.1L that they are happy about and what did you do/ what were the results?
I am not interseted in digging into the motor or adding a blower at this point, new warranty and all....

Havasu Hangin'
09-09-2004, 12:40 PM
I have the 8.1. If you read the Chevy forums, most people agree the problem is with the computer. It has a torque-management system built in, and the only way to bypass it is to re-program.
Although I haven't done it myself, Westers tune seems very popular.

sigepmock
09-09-2004, 01:57 PM
I agree the Torque Management is the problem. I just read an article that showed exactly how much the computer overides the driver input. In one instance the driver was applying 99.5% throttle (floored) and the computer(torque management) only allowed 52% throttle. Wester's tune is the way to go, Hypertech and others don't completely remove the TM just adjust it. Only problem with the Wester's comes when/if you have to take the truck in for Waranty work. Here's the link.
Wester's (http://westers_garage.eidnet.org/Index2.htm)
I actually have the Whipple SC on my truck and I am continuing to work with Whipple to reprogram the ECM to completely get rid of the Torque Managment because it is still causing problems for me. Good luck.
Chris

UnionJack
09-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Wow, add an aux fuel tank that can hold an extra 200 gallons of gas, then a supercharger.... or you could of waited since they are putting the duramax in the suburan, but I guess you are too late for that :p

Havasu Hangin'
09-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Wow, add an aux fuel tank that can hold an extra 200 gallons of gas, then a supercharger.... or you could of waited since they are putting the duramax in the suburan, but I guess you are too late for that :p
I think they were first going to put it in the 2003...then the 2004...now the 2005?
I can't wait for the urban legend to materialize. Unless you're gonna tow my boat everywhere for me? :rolleyes:

don johnson
09-09-2004, 05:00 PM
My best friend is in engineering at Chevrolet and he said no diesel in 2006...
I do not understand what Chevy is waiting for...

XtrmWakeborder
09-09-2004, 05:19 PM
Supercharger! Whipple 8.1 (http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1138)

Havasu Hangin'
09-09-2004, 07:05 PM
I do not understand what Chevy is waiting for...
Rumor has it that the Allison trans won't fit (they'll need to make a major change to the body). Probably not cost effective when they are selling so many 1/2 tons...

Jordy
09-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Rumor has it that the Allison trans won't fit (they'll need to make a major change to the body).
It's a little more than a rumor. All the HD's have a body lift so the Allison will clear the tranny tunnel. From the factory they're quite a bit taller than the non-HD cousins. Makes it kind of unattractive for the Tahoe-drivin' soccer moms.
Hey, but the H1 is getting the D-max and Allison next year. That should be sweet for not a whole lot more than they wanted for the 6.5 and the 4L80E. Lots more potential. ;)

UnionJack
09-10-2004, 07:20 AM
Talk to you boy with the 22's he was the one who reported it to me, and you know what he say's is always true :shift: ..... By the way are you on your way to the lake this weekend, I hope to be there soon

Havasu Hangin'
09-10-2004, 10:16 AM
..... By the way are you on your way to the lake this weekend, I hope to be there soon
I'll be there this weekend (working on the Tugboat). I'm gonna see if the Drive Destructor can give me some help.
See ya out there.

Tommy1005
09-17-2004, 10:12 AM
the engine and tranny won't fit without putting the HD pickup front end on it, and since the 2500 suburban is basically the same as the 1500HD, it's not gonna happen until they make a change, if then. Plus, other than boaters, there's not much call for a diesel burb, so it is a niche market, and they don't feel like they need to enter it. If you want a diesel go with the Excursion.

Jordy
09-17-2004, 10:32 PM
the engine and tranny won't fit without putting the HD pickup front end on it, and since the 2500 suburban is basically the same as the 1500HD, it's not gonna happen until they make a change, if then. Plus, other than boaters, there's not much call for a diesel burb, so it is a niche market, and they don't feel like they need to enter it. If you want a diesel go with the Excursion.
You're kidding right? The front end bolts up to the rest of the body. The tranny is the hold back because it won't fit in the tranny tunnel. That's way the HD pickups have a body lift on them to begin with. :rolleyes:
As far as no demand? You're kidding again right? It's a matter of balancing the extra body lift to clear the Allison as well as the extra rigging for the Duramax, not to mention the extra cost associated with it.
You really think the diesel 'burb is a niche market? Oh yeah, that's right, you think the front end is the hold up.

Daytona 25
09-28-2004, 09:05 PM
The duramax is coming in the burb but not with the allison tranny! The new heavy duty 6-speed auto is done. The assembly line is being set up as we speak. It will make its first apperance in the 06 Vette then the trucks.

DryHeatOnly
09-28-2004, 10:11 PM
Just bought a new 2005 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1L. Added headers and cat back. This thing is still a gas guzzling no balls setup.
Who out there has done mod's to their 8.1L that they are happy about and what did you do/ what were the results?
I am not interseted in digging into the motor or adding a blower at this point, new warranty and all....
How do you guys get your rigs through the CA Smog Check with headers and other fun bolt-ons?

DryHeatOnly
10-02-2004, 11:20 PM
How do you guys get your rigs through the CA Smog Check with headers and other fun bolt-ons?
Ok. I get it. ;) ;) You're all keepin' it a secret. That's cool.
I had to do the same thing back in the early 80's to get my old '77 Camaro "smogged" after removing all the smog gear in favor of new intake, headers, and dual exhaust. :D

andy01
10-03-2004, 05:14 AM
I did the cat back and cold air intake from K&N on my 8.1 Crew Cab and noticed a difference in gas mileage. If you didn't do the K&N full intake kit yet I still have mine with the box and paper work. It has 20K miles on it and the filter is cleaned and looks like brand new. It only takes 20 minutes to intall. If you are interested in it PM me and make me an offer. My dad also did a cat back and K&N on his 5.3 Sub and noticed a mileage difference.
Andy