PDA

View Full Version : New boat out of state delivery sales tax

BADASS38CHEVY
09-09-2004, 09:03 PM
anyone the what the law is for taking a out of state delivery to pay no sales tax and what state ?

BADASS38CHEVY
09-09-2004, 09:13 PM
is arizona a state that you wont have to pay sales tax on new boat

OGShocker
09-09-2004, 09:20 PM
anyone the what the law is for taking a out of state delivery to pay no sales tax and what state ?
You didn't hear this from me... (http://www.bennettlawofficepc.com/RV%20Registration.htm)
Ask for John when you call.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
09-09-2004, 09:21 PM
New boat = sales tax in AZ...
Private party to Private party = No sales tax in AZ....
CJG
:D

cruser
09-09-2004, 10:53 PM
I bought a new boat in California and was told that unless it was delivered to me in another state, they would have to charge me California sales tax. I solved this issue by having a third party be the delivery agent for the boat and, according to the paper work, I received the boat in Oregon. No sales tax in Oregon. It took a third party's signature on a Bill of Lading and he was there to pick up the boat.
If there is a sales tax due on the boat purchased out of state, most states will collect it when the boat is registered in that state.
cruzer

Boatcop
09-10-2004, 04:45 AM
If you want to register a new boat that has never been registered before in Arizona, they require proof that sales tax was paid, either to your home state, or to Arizona.

BADASS38CHEVY
09-24-2004, 10:12 AM
how about if you register it in oregon for 91 days and them register it in arizona ,will taxs still have to be paid ?

BoatFloating
09-24-2004, 10:20 AM
how about if you register it in oregon for 91 days and them register it in arizona ,will taxs still have to be paid ?
91 days is a Calif deal. Regs in Oregon then turn around when you get your regs from Oregon and regs in AZ all good. You need to keep it out CA if you plan on reg in the stae for 91 days but as of Oct 1st the new law going into effect takes the out of state time to 1 year ouch! But you can bring it in for repairs and then has to leave again after reepairs are done.

ChumpChange
09-24-2004, 11:12 AM
You need to keep it out CA if you plan on reg in the stae for 91 days but as of Oct 1st the new law going into effect takes the out of state time to 1 year ouch! But you can bring it in for repairs and then has to leave again after reepairs are done.
My boat is regged in AZ, does this mean that after Oct 1st, I wont be able to use it in CA anymore? Ocean? This would be disturbing.

LHC30Victory
09-24-2004, 12:27 PM
My boat is regged in AZ, does this mean that after Oct 1st, I wont be able to use it in CA anymore? Ocean? This would be disturbing.
If you are a Cal resident, the trailer (a vehicle) must be registered in Cal. If you bring it into Cal anytime with other state reg, you can be ticketed and fined for improper registration.
The boat is a vessel and should/must be registered in the jurisdiction where it is PRIMARILY used. So if you use it mostly in AZ (and it is registered in AZ) and take it to Cal sometimes, you are OK on the reg for the BOAT.
Hope this helps.

BADASS38CHEVY
09-24-2004, 12:30 PM
is there a website that gets into detail pertaining to out of state sales tax.can you tell me where you seen that law as of oct 1st it will be 1 year?thanks.

RADDONKEY
09-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Nevada has no sales tax on private party sales. If you buy it from a dealer there is 7.5% tax. I bought a boat from a dealer in Cali and didnt pay tax because of taking it out of state. When I registared it in Nevada they charged tax but the way they figured the value of the boat it ended up costing less than half of what I would have paid in Cali. RD :wink:

BoatFloating
09-24-2004, 03:12 PM
No not at all. here is what I'm talking about. If you buy a boat new or used in CA and take out of state delivery to avoid the sales tax after Oct 1st you now will be required to keep it out of state for 1 year as before it was 90 days before and back in on the 91st day. So if you buy a used boat you can register it in AZ if it's a private party sale without tax. If it's new and want to regiater it in AZ without sales tax I believe the same applies you must keep it out of state for 90 days and that means no boating in AZ for that time. So if you regsiter it in Oregon with no sales tax you should be able to register it in AZ without paying tax because it was previosly registered. Like said above kep your trailer registered in the state your from to avoid a pretty stiff fine.
PS. As far as I know there is no website that will give you the how to do it info because it's not something the states or local goverments want to advertise....

BADASS38CHEVY
09-24-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info.

Steamin' Rice
09-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Here is a link to an attorney who handles a lot of offshore delivery transactions.. He has good info on his site..
http://www.weilaw.com/32_offshoredelivery.htm

BADASS38CHEVY
09-25-2004, 08:21 AM
thank you ,that is what i was looking for someting in writing that i can see exactly what was going on.thanks.