PDA

View Full Version : Food For Thought

Some Kind Of Monster
09-09-2004, 10:40 PM
I haven't been a member at ***boat for very long, but in the short time I have been here I have met a lot of great people, and had a lot of awesome conversations and debates. I love coming here when I have something on my mind (anything), or I just want to talk boats. I know there is always going to be something interesting, or uplifting, or funny being posted. Anyway, I just feel right sharing this with you all.
Several years ago my best friend passed away from a brain tumor. No suffering, no BS, just one day he fell over and was gone. He was young, only 17, and left his mother, father, and sister. His death was unpreventable. There was absolutely nothing that could have been done to detect a problem.
I just got a call a couple hours ago that after almost a year of suffering from lung cancer, his father (also a good friend of mine) just passed away at 48 years old. His death WAS preventable. I know you all have heard this a million times... Smoking kills. I can remember him telling me that the one thing in life he regretted is starting smoking and that the one thing he wished he could do is quit. It's too late now.
Anyway, I'm not here to BS you all. I'm just asking for your thoughts and prayers for my friends wife/mother, sister/daughter. They have come a long way but have a long way still to go. Thanks for hearing me out. :(

DryHeatOnly
09-09-2004, 10:44 PM
Such a shame...he was young. Hang in there man, and be there for his family.
DHO

Bre
09-09-2004, 10:47 PM
My mom has been smoking since her early teens..... she drinks a lot and has a ton of stress from work. Her brother died 6 years ago from a heart attack.. he also smoked and had a lot of stress at work.. he just didn't drink like my mom does. My parents each said they would stop once we first had Kailey... cause they wanted to be around for them... well neither one of them have stopped or slowed down... at least my dad doesn't have the stress nor does he hardly ever drink..... my mom is my best friend... I love her to death... as well my kids do.
I don't know what to do/say to her to make her see what she is doing to herself.
Sorry to hi-jack your thread.
What has happened to your friend and his family is horrible.... I don't know how I could go on without my kids or Andy.

FMluvswater
09-09-2004, 10:49 PM
I don't know what to say but I'll send up a prayer that they are comforted and strengthened during this difficult time.
~FM

DryHeatOnly
09-09-2004, 10:56 PM
SKOM...you are so right about lung cancer being avoidable. I found out on Tuesday that a close aunt of mine (mom's sis) has Stage 3 (inoperable) lung cancer. Knowing she is a heavy smoker, I wasn't suprised to hear this news. (I felt weird not experiencing any kind of shock). I hope by some miracle she pulls through with kemo.

clownpuncher
09-09-2004, 11:17 PM
I haven't been a member at ***boat for very long, but in the short time I have been here I have met a lot of great people, and had a lot of awesome conversations and debates. I love coming here when I have something on my mind (anything), or I just want to talk boats. I know there is always going to be something interesting, or uplifting, or funny being posted. Anyway, I just feel right sharing this with you all.
Several years ago my best friend passed away from a brain tumor. No suffering, no BS, just one day he fell over and was gone. He was young, only 17, and left his mother, father, and sister. His death was unpreventable. There was absolutely nothing that could have been done to detect a problem.
I just got a call a couple hours ago that after almost a year of suffering from lung cancer, his father (also a good friend of mine) just passed away at 48 years old. His death WAS preventable. I know you all have heard this a million times... Smoking kills. I can remember him telling me that the one thing in life he regretted is starting smoking and that the one thing he wished he could do is quit. It's too late now.
Anyway, I'm not here to BS you all. I'm just asking for your thoughts and prayers for my friends wife/mother, sister/daughter. They have come a long way but have a long way still to go. Thanks for hearing me out. :(
Hang in there bro. Thoughts a prayers are on the way. It's a strange thing to realize that no matter the magnitude, everything happens for a reason.
I sooooo live by my sig, cuz ya never know

JetBoatRich
09-10-2004, 05:02 AM
I feel bad for the family, loosing their son at such a youg age. Then dad, who was young. They family and friends around for support.
Never had the habit of smoking, but been around it all my life. It seems that all my sisters and brother smokes. Watching my dad get sick from a few packs a day, my grandmother had ling problems from a couple packs a day, etc. One of my closer sisters smokes like it is going out of style, two kids around while she does it. Drives me nuts, they get in her mini-van and it is like an ashtray smell. She keeps saying each year she is quiting, after a couple runs with skin cancer on top of it. I tell her do it for the kids.
We were coming home from the laughlin one time, my daughter thought it would be fun to ride with her. We pulled into Needles and my daughter wanted out, could not take it. Good for her.

racecar.hotshoe
09-10-2004, 07:19 AM
I am a smoker, I do not smoke in my house because I have respect for my wife and kids. I to have a very stessful job but I dont blame it for my habit.I smoke because I enjoy it.

Keithb87
09-10-2004, 08:16 AM
:( :( :( :( :(

Some Kind Of Monster
09-10-2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the posts everyone.. It feels good to hear from you all .

Flyinbowtie
09-10-2004, 10:52 AM
Thoughts and prayers to you, SKOM. As has been said, being their for his family is all you can do now.You honor his memory and yourself by doing so.

Racer277
09-10-2004, 01:09 PM
So sad to hear SKOM, our prayers are with you and yours.
Hopefully this hits home to someone close to me. :hammerhea
R277

Mrs.Racer277
09-10-2004, 02:18 PM
So sad to hear SKOM, our prayers are with you and yours.
Hopefully this hits home to someone close to me. :hammerhea
R277
Sorry to hear about your loss SKOM. You will be in our prayers.
To Racer277 I will try to work on it. I Love ya.