PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of the SHARK I hooked up today!!!!

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:21 PM
CRAZY DAY.
A custumer of mine asked me to go out fishing with them Saturday. I had no idea what I was in for.
From Dana Point.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63shark1.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63shark.JPG

FMluvswater
09-11-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm curious if that was a keeper or a throwback? I honestly don't know. :confused: Do people eat shark? Do you need a special liscence? There are no sharks in the waters around here. :D

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:36 PM
I don't know what the size is supposed to be, we put it back.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:38 PM
It was a 5 foot male Mako?.
I am NOT a fisherman. :notam:
Brian

Bense468
09-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Some surfer will thank you for that later...

JetBoatRich
09-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Looks like a big fish Brian and nice day :cool:

FMluvswater
09-11-2004, 09:40 PM
5 feet? Dear lord that is almost as tall as me. :eek:
Cool pics anyway. :) Love the color of that water. :cool:

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:41 PM
Some surfer will thank you for that later...
The last time my ass was in salt water, I was 22-24. Surfing was fun, but suddenly I realized in the ocean, I am NOT on top of the foodchain anymore.
The odds are low, but if it happens, it is ALL bad.
Brian

Dr. Eagle
09-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Dun Dun, Dun Dun, Dun Dun, Dun Dun.... I love that theme song... :D

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:44 PM
5 feet? Dear lord that is almost as tall as me. :eek:
Cool pics anyway. :) Love the color of that water. :cool:
I know, blue water. We were in around 800 feet deep. It was alot different color of the green of 300 feet deep.
To me it seemed pretty big, but they have caught bigger ones.
Brian

FMluvswater
09-11-2004, 09:46 PM
It's a beautiful color. I could look out at water for hours and not be bored. It's very calming and life affirming. :)
Bigger? In a movie sure okay. I'd not want to meet a shark of any size. :eek:

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:51 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63shark2.JPG
Baby 3 footer, this guy wanted someones hand!!!
Got hooked somehow in the fin.
Brian

FMluvswater
09-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Sharky's gotta eat too right? :D ;) Just preferably not "human being" food. :D

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:54 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63dolphin.JPG
Here you go girl, on the way back to Dana point a group of dolphins wanted to play, there had to be 50 dolphins running right next to us.
Brian

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:56 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63dolphin1.JPG

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 09:57 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63dolphin2.JPG

FMluvswater
09-11-2004, 09:57 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63dolphin.JPG
Here you go girl, on the way back to Dana point a group of dolphins wanted to play, there had to be 50 dolphins running right next to us.
Brian
:supp: :D Wow! :cool: That is a beautiful picture! :D They protect from sharks too. :)

FMluvswater
09-11-2004, 09:59 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/63dolphin1.JPG
My new desktop pic for a while. :cool:

wsuwrhr
09-11-2004, 10:03 PM
I wasn't planning on posting the dolphin pictures, but since you started posting I figured you would like them.
Brian

FMluvswater
09-11-2004, 10:06 PM
You were right. :) I do very much. Thank-you for being so thoughtful and posting them. :)

Misogynist
09-11-2004, 10:42 PM
I don't think there is anything more exciting than to catch a pod of dolphin surfing off your bow wave... ;)

david_396
09-12-2004, 06:49 AM
Shark fishing video
http://yankee-fishing.com/Oz/sharkyakvid.wmv
http://www.extremecoast.com/reports/report090504.htm

WUTWZAT
09-12-2004, 07:39 AM
wsuwrhr, remember if you ever want to keep one of those sharks you gotta have a gun of some sort with you and you need to shot it before bringing it aboard. Honestly, we caught one and my friends brought it aboard then decided to shot it when it started to thrash and destroy the boat. I was like wait, your going to shot a hole in the boat. So we threw it back, shot in head first, let it bleed and die and then drag on board.
Jason

wsuwrhr
09-12-2004, 07:51 AM
wsuwrhr, remember if you ever want to keep one of those sharks you gotta have a gun of some sort with you and you need to shot it before bringing it aboard. Honestly, we caught one and my friends brought it aboard then decided to shot it when it started to thrash and destroy the boat. I was like wait, your going to shot a hole in the boat. So we threw it back, shot in head first, let it bleed and die and then drag on board.
Jason
We were prepared :supp:
It was my first time in the ocean, they are experienced fishermen.
Brian

Mrs.Racer277
09-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Seeing all the dolphins was awsome. :D

Sane Asylum
09-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Awesome pics.....Wuz kinda looking to see some action on the vids......Like the shark trying to jump in the kayak and taking some arse out of the guy.....that chit makes me think ya need a new hobby..... :sqeyes:

Schiada76
09-12-2004, 09:12 AM
The best tasting fish in the ocean by far. :D

dr. margarita
09-12-2004, 09:14 AM
Yeah, unfortunately people eat sharks..Threshers are the most sought after. Best thing to do though if you hook one is simply break off the line and don't attempt to remove the hook. It'll rust out. They're fun to catch but should be released. Too many sharks are being harvested and anyone knows that over harvesting anything that high on the food chain is no good. Catch and Release! Looks like you had a great day on the water!

FMluvswater
09-12-2004, 09:43 AM
people eat sharks..
Somehow that strikes me as highly ironic. ;) Good to know.

djunkie
09-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Mako shark is excellent eating. If no one told you what you were eating you'd think it was swordfish. I caught one once, the thing fought and jumped like a marlin.

FMluvswater
09-12-2004, 01:14 PM
If no one told you what you were eating you'd think it was swordfish. I caught one once, the thing fought and jumped like a marlin.
People eat swordfish? :eek: I'd have to be tricked into eating either one.
Like frog legs. I was told it was chicken. Mmm tasted good. They told me what it really was I was surprised but okay fine no worries or so I thought. Next time it was served to me it was still on the leg bones and BUZZ! no way was I able to eat it even though I already knew I liked it (those were some poor froggy's legs! :eek: :( ). I don't have any such qualms about farm animal meats. :idea: :rolleyes: :)

burtandnancy
09-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Shark/swordfish is excellent eating when prepared correctly. There are other sea food dishes that come from shark, but thats not well known. I'm not sure about the over harvesting of sharks, but its food (pun) for thought. Don't ever bring a large one aboard a small boat until its very dead. Many fisherman have been injured by "dead" sharks. There used to be, and may still well be Shark and Ray fishing clubs around.

Mrs. casean
09-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Great pictures you took! I miss that water! I used to live in the area and see the beach daily... Those Dolphins are awsome! Can never go wrong w/ dolphin pics! Thanks for sharing w/ us!

Scream
09-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Swordfish is one of the best eating fish I've ever had, it's got a bit of fat in it and if prepared correctly is as tender as a dry aged rib eye steak. Shark is a great fish as well, but you don't see that on the menu too often.
I just got back from a Yellow Fin trip and every time I go I wonder if we'll get a shark. One trip last year we caught a small mako and released it. Just too many peeps on board to worry about having a shark on board.
BTW the color of the water is also a factor of the salinity in the water as well as the depth. fyi. The beautiful blue of deep water indicates lower salt levels. It is an indescribable color of blue.

FMluvswater
09-12-2004, 08:16 PM
I learn the most unexpected things hanging out here. :cool: Thanks. If I'm ever faced with the opportunity to taste either shark or swordfish I'll be brave and say sure. ;)

MikeF
09-12-2004, 08:20 PM
Shark fishing video
http://yankee-fishing.com/Oz/sharkyakvid.wmv
http://www.extremecoast.com/reports/report090504.htm
That's some cool footage!
I fished in front of Newport harbor today for a few hours and caught about 40 Bonito.
The mako is also known as a Bonito shark.
I (so far) don't target sharks, but I have trolled around 3# mackerals and been "bit". :supp:
There's a pic of me in Baja, Abreojos on kayakangler.com Not much content yet. :sleeping:
Let the small ones go! They'll make more!

Mrs. casean
09-12-2004, 08:23 PM
Swordfish is an exillent fish to eat... quite mild and tasty. I've only had shark in tacos... wasn't bad, but a little dry as I recall. Gotta take the swordfish... tasty tasty!

burtandnancy
09-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Scream, are you sure about that salinity thing? I though all ocean water was about 35,000 ppm sodium regardless of clairty, color etc...

cdog
09-13-2004, 07:52 AM
The more the salinity the clearer the water. Just look at the Gulf and the carribean waters, the water can burn your eyes unlike here in the pacific. I believe the water temp has a lot to do with it and weather or not there is a coral reef because the coral reef needs higher salinity. The tropical part of the pacific (south pacific) has highr salinity because of the coral reefs. I've been to tahiti, mooarea and bora bora, the water is warm and salinity is high. The water was a lot warmer than hawaii but cooler than the carribean.

FMluvswater
09-13-2004, 10:05 AM
The more the salinity the clearer the water. Just look at the Gulf and the carribean waters, the water can burn your eyes unlike here in the pacific. I believe the water temp has a lot to do with it and weather or not there is a coral reef because the coral reef needs higher salinity. The tropical part of the pacific (south pacific) has highr salinity because of the coral reefs. I've been to tahiti, mooarea and bora bora, the water is warm and salinity is high. The water was a lot warmer than hawaii but cooler than the carribean.
Okay. I did not know that. I'm curious now though as to why some fresh water lakes are so clear you can see 6 feet and more down and yet they are not that color blue? :confused:

uclahater
09-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Brian,
Thats really cool :D Oh and thanks for the Invite :rolleyes:
Have you started on any of the stuff for my boat yet :idea: Just courious :(

prosthogod
09-13-2004, 10:24 AM
Mako is great eating. Just cut that sucker into ! inch steaks and start grillin. Too bad you didn't keep. :hammer2:

cdog
09-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Okay. I did not know that. I'm curious now though as to why some fresh water lakes are so clear you can see 6 feet and more down and yet they are not that color blue? :confused:
The clearest fresh water i've ever seen was in florida at a place called Vortex Springs. The water did'nt have really any color of tint, mabey a little of green, just clear. 50-60 ft down and you could see the bottom into a cave. It's a fresh water spring with the purest water on earth. I'm not sure why salt water turns blue. In Tahiti the shallow water was just as clear as bath water. I'd bet it has something to do with the ozone or the air. The sky is blue and is mostly oxygen, there is oxygen in the water would'nt that have the same effect?

Magic34
09-13-2004, 11:28 AM
No offense, but those videos were stupid! Not the footage itself but the act of what they were doing in those tiny plastic boats. All they need is to piss off one of the sharks they caught, he goes and gets a friend to come back, knock a plastic kayak over and eat the dude in it. The whole thing is not right, something is wrong with those boys.

FMluvswater
09-13-2004, 12:14 PM
The clearest fresh water i've ever seen was in florida at a place called Vortex Springs. The water did'nt have really any color of tint, mabey a little of green, just clear. 50-60 ft down and you could see the bottom into a cave. It's a fresh water spring with the purest water on earth. I'm not sure why salt water turns blue. In Tahiti the shallow water was just as clear as bath water. I'd bet it has something to do with the ozone or the air. The sky is blue and is mostly oxygen, there is oxygen in the water would'nt that have the same effect?
I'm not sure. My last science class was a long time ago. :D I feel like I should already know the answers here but that data file in my brain seems to be corrupt! ;) I might have to Google this. :devil:

MudPumper
09-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Pics from the sharks side coming soon.

wsuwrhr
09-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Brian,
Thats really cool :D Oh and thanks for the Invite :rolleyes:
Have you started on any of the stuff for my boat yet :idea: Just courious :(
Of course I did, isn't the blast plate bitchen? :boxed:
The plan I had was to try and take some of the graphic design and use it on the rigging. I don't know if it will be possible, but that was what I had in mind.
By the way, the boat is looking good.
Brian

gramps
09-14-2004, 06:19 AM
Thresher shark is good eatin' but if you ever get a chance to try Wahoo go for it............the best is raw bluefin tuna dipped in wasabi (green horseradish)!!!!