PDA

View Full Version : trailer question???

BarryMac
09-12-2004, 04:08 PM
My trailer is a squeeky little biatch, seems like every pebble it rolls over it squeeks and makes popping noises, I regularly grease the bearing buddies but don't see any other zerks to hit, any suggestions? Should I be spraying the leaf springs down with WD40 or something of that sort??? Any advice would be terrific...
gjb

Mohavekid
09-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Your shackles and leaf springs probably have rust in/on them.
I hit my shackles with WD-40 every so often, I also took apart the spring packs and added some thin stips of teflon between the leaves to let them slide a little easier. Seems to work for me.
Just be sure the bolts holding the shackles on have lock nuts on them. I had two on mine back themselves out while towing.

Mandelon
09-12-2004, 06:03 PM
Remember WD40 is not that great of a lubricant, it sorta dissapates over time. It is for "water displacement" isn't it? There are better lubes for oiling your squeaky bitch.... :hammerhea
PS: It has always made those noises..... :wink: How are the tires doing?

Havasu Hangin'
09-12-2004, 06:13 PM
My trailer sounds like a battle scene from Star Wars...not pretty.
The guys at Pacific said "it's normal". When I asked about the leaf spring clips (I had a couple missing), they said that they were pretty much useless.
:idea:

LUVNLIFE
09-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Remember WD40 is not that great of a lubricant, it sorta dissapates over time. It is for "water displacement" isn't it? There are better lubes for oiling your squeaky bitch.... :hammerhea
Yea I use KY :D Really my trailer gets noisy also and I hit it with some WD or some silicone spray. :)

Bob Hostetter
09-12-2004, 06:37 PM
The next couple of times you take it out spray the leaf springs down with WD-40. It will get inbetween the springs and clean out the curd. Then the third time you take it out spray the sides of the springs with a dry lube like bicycle chain lube and that should cure your problem.
Remember that if you hose them dowm that extra lube/WD-40 has to go somewhere and its usually onto the bottom of your boat, so don't go crazy....

HammerDown
09-12-2004, 06:58 PM
So how do ya know when it's time to get new pins and re bushed?
My 1983 is somewhat noisy...and when I jack it up there appears to be play in the system.

BarryMac
09-12-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks to all of you that replied, I appreciate the advice and will use it, the only reason that I was really concerned is because my last boat trailer didn't make so much noise so I'm not use to it, of course the last boat wasn't as heavy as the Carrera.
The tires will get me through the rest of this season, I will replace before the beginning of next year, thanks for the concern...
gjb